What's your favorite vegetable and how do you cook it?

Options

Replies

• missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    There are very few vegetables that I don't like, but favorites are green beans, broccoli, and raw peas. Rarely do the peas I grow make it into a cooked dish.
  • ayanna32
    ayanna32 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! really low in calories, and so versatile.

Chop into small pieces and add to egg scrambled for breakfast.

Stuff a big portabello mushroom with tuna, crab, or prawns, and some tomato salsa.

Slice finely and saute in a little oil and lots of garlic.

Add to any sauce for pasta.

Yummo! I've been making portabello mushroom "pizza" lately but you've raised the bar with the stuffed seafood! Can't wait to make this!
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll apologize now if someone else already said this, but how about twice-baked cauliflower? I'm diabetic, but really miss mashed potatoes and other carbs under stews and other lovely long-cooked meats.

Take the entire head of cauliflower, cut the leaves off, cut down the stem a bit, but you can leave the cauliflower whole - it's actually easier to drain later if you leave it whole. Boil it in a pot of water big enough to cover it completely - don't worry if it bobs to the surface, just make sure you have a lot of water. Boil for 10-15 minutes. Yes, it's gonna be totally cooked, practically mushy. Drain the water from the pot, and start mashing like mashed potatoes. Now it gets fun. Start throwing in the things you love about twice-baked potatoes. Try some cheese - I like the Laughing Cow flavored cheeses like the chipotle one. Or reduced fat mexican blend shredded cheese. Definitely some chopped green onions. finely chopped ham or bacon if you do meats, but don't go overboard on the bacon if you are looking to keep fat in line (chopped prosciutto is really great if I have a slice or two available.) Then start seasoning with garlic powder, seasoned salt, whatever you like. Pour it into a sprayed baking dish and bake (uncovered to help cook off some of the liquid from the cauliflower) about 20 min at about 350 degrees.

You can do the quick version with just a little cheese and skip baking it if you don't have the time.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Collards
    Cabbage ( sauteed with a little olive oil and a pack of goya ham seasoning)
    Sweet potatoes
    White potatoes ( you name it mashed, potato salad, baked)
    broccoli (steamed)
    sweet peas

It would actually probably be easier for me to say my least favorite vegetable which is squash, YUK!
  • Lila90
    Lila90 Posts: 27
    Options
    ❤STIR FRIED (any or all)❤:
    -broccoli
    -onions
    -bell peppers
    -scallions
    -cucumber
    -cabbage

❤SAUTEED❤:
    -onions

❤BOILED & MASHED/CHUNKS❤:
    -white potato
    -sweet potato

❤STEAMED❤:
    -broccoli

❤PAN FRIED BATTERED❤:
    -onion rings
    -yellow zucchini squash
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, drizzled with a tiny bit of olive oil, and tossed with minced garlic, salt & pepper. Cooked on the grill for about 5 minutes rotating to get grill marks on all sides. Leftovers are great for omelets or tofu scramble the next day.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Asparagus. Especially Saginaw Valley asparagus, picked that day, steamed, with butter and coarse ground black pepper. You can oven roast or grill it, but just steamed with butter and pepper is all you really need.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Although baked sweet potato with butter, brown sugar, and/or diced crystallized ginger is a very close second.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    broccoli , and honestly ,i could totally "bubba" a list like from forrest gump...
  • khippster
    khippster Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you for all the great suggestions! I just bought brussel sprouts for the first time this weekend!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Asparagus on the grill w/ olive oil, salt, and pepper.
    a new favorite restaurant has kick-*kitten* grilled asparagus. the waiter told us the secret was to flash fry them for a few seconds before grilling.

oh, and as for brussels sprouts. I like to marinate mine with olive oil, celery salt and dill seed (sometimes a few raisins) and roast them in the oven..
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am a rabbit, I pretty much love all veggies. I eat them raw, I boil them, I bake them... I use herbs and pepper. I use mustard, salsa, cottage cheese. Lol so much you can do with veggies!!!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can't really thing of a veggie I don't like. Lately I have been on a sweet potato and squash kick. I usually roast everything, but I do enjoy raw veggies - broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, sugar plum tomatoes, snap peas.
  • tfisher0915
    tfisher0915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    I love carrots, you can make them all kinds of different ways. Look at these meals by the way, i eat a lot of this stuff too!
    http://www.isefitness.com/eating-clean-healthy--meals
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Artichokes! Steamed with garlic......amazing.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I LOVE roasted broccoli with garlic. Preheat oven to 400, chop up about a pound or so of fresh broccoli, toss with 2 tbs Olive oil, salt, smashed garlic cloves and crushed red pepper.. put them in there for 20 minutes flipping halfway through. You can eat them as is or toss them in with some pasta. I haven't tried roasting any other veggie yet but I'm planning on it.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    brussel sprooooooooooouts - drizzle lightly with olive oil and bake em.