Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm a feminist. Sorry I am not sorry.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are shying away from the feminist title because it has become polluted in a sense that feminists are stereotyped to be a group of butch women who are pro-abortion, etc. etc. etc. and there are women who disagree with things like those example topics and thus think they aren't feminists because they don't fit that narrow-minded stereotype.

It's basically like a friend of mine who honestly believes in Jesus and the Bible, but refuses to call himself a "Christian" because of the stereotype that all Christians are supposed to "hate" other people like homosexuals (for example). Obviously that stereotype is NOT true of all Christians, and my friend doesn't really understand the meaning of the word "Christian."

Which basically just proves the point of everyone who said that most people who say that they are not feminists don't really understand the meaning of the word.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

ive almost never seen a "normal" guy with a "fat" wife IRL.

It's quite common in military couples. The active duty spouse gets paid to exercise - and has no choice about keeping in shape. My husband and I were such a couple. :tongue:
  • JayGetsFit
    JayGetsFit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but "Drop Dead Diva" portrays an overweight woman who has had some pretty nice looking men in her life. :) I don't keep up with the series so I am not 100% sure of who all she dates/married. Lol

I also agree that looking to media outlets for any type of reassurance about body acceptance is a bad turn to take. Medias "normal" isnt normality.
  • JayGetsFit
    JayGetsFit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that in TV/movies there can be a "fat" man with a "normal" woman (I can't remember the name of the sitcom but it was a small brunette woman with a big guy), two "fat" people together (i.e. Mike and Molly), or two "normal" people together (every other show/movie ever made)? Something is missing... I guess media people don't think it's believable for a "normal" guy to be with a "fat" woman.

Just saying.

It's quite common in military couples. The active duty spouse gets paid to exercise - and has no choice about keeping in shape. My husband and I were such a couple. :tongue:

This is a pretty ignorant comment, IMO. I am an army wife and its far from true that all soldiers have to be in shape and thin. I know plenty of hefty soldiers who are married to thin women. There's no bracket break down that shows military wives sit at home and get/stay fat while their spouse "gets paid to exercise" .... Most of the military wives that I've met are all in amazing shape because they want to look good and feel good when their husbands return home.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If I had their permission, I'd post a picture of my brother and his wife. He's a "normal" weight...meaning, he's not overweight and has a healthy BMI...and she is obese. Very obese. They met in similar shape than they are in now.

In real life, people fall in love with all sorts of shapes/sizes/whatever... That's just one example, but I am sure there are countless others in real life.

But in movies and TV, you normally do not see that unless it is a parody making fun of people like Shallow Hal. So I can see where the OP is coming from. I just take offense when people act as though off the silver screen, people act just as they do in scripts.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's 2013 and people still treat "feminist" like a dirty word.

tumblr_inline_mkl8q1Cvmf1qz4rgp.png
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I'm a feminist. Sorry I am not sorry.

I'm not sorry I'm not sorry I'm a feminist who :heart: s betty friedan
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Just saying.

This is a pretty ignorant comment, IMO. I am an army wife and its far from true that all soldiers have to be in shape and thin. I know plenty of hefty soldiers who are married to thin women. There's no bracket break down that shows military wives sit at home and get/stay fat while their spouse "gets paid to exercise" .... Most of the military wives that I've met are all in amazing shape because they want to look good and feel good when their husbands return home.

I was a military spouse for over 20 years. It's an unfortunate truth. If you and your spouse stick it out for an entire career you'll eventually see the reality.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

Just saying.

Funny that you say that, my main motivation for working out and lifting is my boyfriend who is in the military.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Just saying.

Never heard of Jack Sprat? :laugh:

But seriously, my husband is normal weight, and I'm fat. (for now) But I do know several couples like this. It's true that men (in general) have an easier time staying at a healthy weight than women. It's fairly common in my social circles. But I will admit that for most, the marriage began with both spouses at a healthy weight and the women packed on the pounds slowly over a period of years. (like myself) When my husband and I were married, I was 10 pounds lighter than him. At my heaviest, I was about 110 pounds heavier. Now I'm just 46 pounds heavier. I have told him that we will be the same weight soon. :smokin:
  • MadamUnique
    MadamUnique Posts: 173
    Options

Just saying.

Funny that you say that, my main motivation for working out and lifting is my boyfriend who is in the military.

────────────────────░███░
    ───────────────────░█░░░█░
    ──────────────────░█░░░░░█░
    ─────────────────░█░░░░░█░
    ──────────░░░───░█░░░░░░█░
    ─────────░███░──░█░░░░░█░
    ───────░██░░░██░█░░░░░█░
    ──────░█░░█░░░░██░░░░░█░
    ────░██░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░
    ───░█░░░█░░░░░░░██░░░█░
    ──░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──░█░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░█░
    ─░█░░░█░░░░██░░░░░░█░░█░
    ─░█░░░░█░░░░░██░░░█░░░█░
    ─░█░█░░░█░░░░░░███░░░░█░
    ░█░░░█░░░██░░░░░█░░░░░█░
    ░█░░░░█░░░░█████░░░░░█░
    ░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░█░░░░░█░
    ░█░█░░░░██░░░░█░░░░░█░
    ─░█░█░░░░░████░░░░██░
    ─░█░░█░░░░░░░█░░██░█░
    ──░█░░██░░░██░░█░░░█░
    ───░██░░███░░██░█░░█░
    ────░██░░░███░░░█░░░█░
    ──────░███░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ████──░█░████░░░░░░░░█░
    █──█──████──████░░░░░█░
    █──█──█──█──█──████████
    █──█──████──█──█──────█
    █──█──█──█────██──██──█
    █──████──█──█──█──────█
    █─────█──█──█──█──█████
    ███████──████──█──────█
    ──────████──██████████
    ★══════════★★══════════★
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the TV Hype!
    I see 'normal' men with 'fat' women in real life all the time.

^^This. I could think of a few dozen couples that I know in real life where the woman is overweight and the guy is either normal weight or skinny. I can think of one or two where the it's the reverse.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the TV Hype!
    I see 'normal' men with 'fat' women in real life all the time.

^^This. I could think of a few dozen couples that I know in real life where the woman is overweight and the guy is either normal weight or skinny. I can think of one or two where the it's the reverse.

Yep, I rarely see fit beautiful women with overweight guys but I always see fit guys with overweight women...
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    Also:

“As long as women’s natural body hair is called disgusting and inappropriate while men’s isn’t, I am a feminist.
    As long as I can’t watch an episode of a popular sitcom without having to sit through multiple sexist comments or “jokes”, I am a feminist.
    As long as women have to face the rational fear of being sexually assaulted every time they walk home past dark while men don’t, I am a feminist....
    As long as misogyny exists in any country in this world, I am a feminist.
    As long as women are being raped, then stoned to death or forced to marry their rapist, I am a feminist.
    As long as companies promote men to manager when there are women who are equally as or better qualified, because they find that men look more authoritative, I am a feminist.
    As long as women (her choice of clothes, her friendly nature, her weakness, her choice to drink alcohol) get blamed when men rape them, I am a feminist.
    As long women’s opinions on online social networks are dismissed with phrases like “tits or gtfo”, “get back to the kitchen”, “are you pms’ing?”, I am a feminist.
    As long as dressing like a woman is degrading for men and as long as men are insulted with phrases like “you throw like a woman, ”clearly implying that being like a woman is shameful, I am a feminist.
    As long as both men are women are expected to work, but taking care of children and the household are still largely considered a woman’s job, I am a feminist.
    As long as boys and girls are treated differently, expected to act differently, and surrounded by different toys and colours from the day they are born, I am a feminist.
    As long as topless women aren’t allowed in public unless they’re on the cover of a men’s magazine, I am a feminist.
    As long as women who have sex frequently are generally told they are “sluts,” “lacking self-respect,” and “lacking morals” by both men and women, while men who frequently have sex are “just being men” and it’s “natural for them,” I am a feminist.
    As long as there are places where women have to pay more for health insurance than men, I am a feminist.
    As long as men experience situations with equal gender representation as female-dominated, and don’t consider a group discussion equal unless there are significantly more men then women participants (as has been proven), I am a feminist.
    As long as there are men who think it’s their wife or girlfriend’s duty to have sex with him whenever he wants, I am a feminist.
    As long as the word feminism (“the movement aimed at equal rights for women”) has a negative connotation, I am a feminist.
    As long as misogynist people exist, I am a feminist.”
    -LE CHRYSANTHÉME: I am a Feminist.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Hey, being a feminist is awesome. It's all about smashing the gender binary and just celebrating humankind (at least, to me).

Heck yeah!

In some fundamental ways (such as dress and being able to show emotion freely), the "guy gender box" is terribly restrictive as well, especially early in life. Little boys really have a tough time.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also:

“As long as women’s natural body hair is called disgusting and inappropriate while men’s isn’t, I am a feminist.
    As long as I can’t watch an episode of a popular sitcom without having to sit through multiple sexist comments or “jokes”, I am a feminist.
    As long as women have to face the rational fear of being sexually assaulted every time they walk home past dark while men don’t, I am a feminist....
    As long as women are being raped, then stoned to death or forced to marry their rapist, I am a feminist.
    As long as companies promote men to manager when there are women who are equally as or better qualified, because they find that men look more authoritative, I am a feminist.
    As long as women (her choice of clothes, her friendly nature, her weakness, her choice to drink alcohol) get blamed when men rape them, I am a feminist.
    As long women’s opinions on online social networks are dismissed with phrases like “tits or gtfo”, “get back to the kitchen”, “are you pms’ing?”, I am a feminist.
    As long as dressing like a woman is degrading for men and as long as men are insulted with phrases like “you throw like a woman, ”clearly implying that being like a woman is shameful, I am a feminist.
    As long as both men are women are expected to work, but taking care of children and the household are still largely considered a woman’s job, I am a feminist.
    As long as boys and girls are treated differently, expected to act differently, and surrounded by different toys and colours from the day they are born, I am a feminist.
    As long as topless women aren’t allowed in public unless they’re on the cover of a men’s magazine, I am a feminist.
    As long as women who have sex frequently are generally told they are “sluts,” “lacking self-respect,” and “lacking morals” by both men and women, while men who frequently have sex are “just being men” and it’s “natural for them,” I am a feminist.
    As long as there are places where women have to pay more for health insurance than men, I am a feminist.
    As long as men experience situations with equal gender representation as female-dominated, and don’t consider a group discussion equal unless there are significantly more men then women participants (as has been proven), I am a feminist.
    As long as there are men who think it’s their wife or girlfriend’s duty to have sex with him whenever he wants, I am a feminist.
    As long as the word feminism (“the movement aimed at equal rights for women”) has a negative connotation, I am a feminist.

As long as a man will go to jail for hitting a woman in self defense, I am a feminist
    As long as a man will lose his job for someone getting offended at a sex joke, I am a feminist
    As long as a man has to pick up the slack for a woman staying home because of "cramps" to go shopping, I am a feminist.
    As long as a man has to pay a cover to get in to a bar where he will pay for the woman's drinks anyway while she walks in for free, I am a feminist.
    As long as women play head games and do not confront their issues head on, I am a feminist.

I fully support equal rights and treatment of women, but I do not support the lowering of standards for them. If you want equal treatment expect to be treated like I would treat any other man. If you don't like that then I will treat you with the "special" treatment that has been accepted.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    Also:

As long as a man will go to jail for hitting a woman in self defense, I am a feminist
    As long as a man will lose his job for someone getting offended at a sex joke, I am a feminist
    As long as a man has to pick up the slack for a woman staying home because of "cramps" to go shopping, I am a feminist.
    As long as a man has to pay a cover to get in to a bar where he will pay for the woman's drinks anyway while she walks in for free, I am a feminist.
    As long as women play head games and do not confront their issues head on, I am a feminist.

I fully support equal rights and treatment of women, but I do not support the lowering of standards for them. If you want equal treatment expect to be treated like I would treat any other man. If you don't like that then I will treat you with the "special" treatment that has been accepted.

Oh cry a little. I don't expect special treatment from you or anyone else.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Back in the late 90s or early 2000s, Days of Our Lives had an actress who was quite a bit overweight married to a very buff doctor. Her weight wasn't mentioned at all.

The only thing I find remotely uncomfortable about this is the admission that I watched Days of Our Lives in the late 90s or early 2000s.

:laugh: It's okay, I don't think that watching it did you any permanent damage.:wink:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Back in the late 90s or early 2000s, Days of Our Lives had an actress who was quite a bit overweight married to a very buff doctor. Her weight wasn't mentioned at all.

The only thing I find remotely uncomfortable about this is the admission that I watched Days of Our Lives in the late 90s or early 2000s.

Don't feel bad, I did too. I even hung in there while Marlena was possessed. Don't ask me why though. :ohwell: