623lbs, Trying to Get Going Again

Hi Everybody. I posted a while back on the introduction thread here, perhaps useful for background:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/801267-about-600lbs-time-to-lose-a-few

But now that I've been on MFP for a while, I thought maybe I could start posting here too? So admittedly these last few months have been hard for me, I think that deciding to lose weight itself is quite an emotional rollercoaster for me. As much as its hard being the size that I am right now, the actual thought of restricting myself of what I love to be on a diet really sucks, and I think the hardest thing is to actually feel it emotionally ready to be doing it. I don't know if that makes any sense, but its just this murky difficult thing, I think.

So yeah, its kind of crazy, but I feel that the stress of being about to diet has actually been making me a bad eater lately. Or, let's just say it hasn't helped, lol. I sent away for a heavier-duty scale a while back because I figured it would help to have one that works for me, so that I could actually monitor my weight. But since I've had it, I've just watched the number go up. :(

Today it read 623.

Having now GAINED 10 more pounds since I started at MFP, rather than lose 20 (which was my goal) is a little disheartening. But, yesterday I was under 4,000 calories for the first time, so I'm very proud of that. Any thoughts on how to turn this into a long term success?

Thank you guys for your support! Hopefully I can keep the victories coming.

-Dani

Replies

• hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Get it, girl! :)

I think you'll find that people will love to support and cheer you on. What you're embarking on is a truly remarkable feat.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    You've taken the first steps and that's a huge accomplishment!

I agree with others taking baby steps will help you stick with it. Try and pre-portion your meals out and if you have someone you can talk to (US!) it helps to share the up and downs of weight loss.

Stick with it and you'll do amazing things!
  • DesignerJojo
    DesignerJojo Posts: 17 Member
    On some level we are all in the same boat and just trying to paddle against the current. I think looking at the bigger picture can be almost immobilizing for some, so try not to see too far down the road. Focus on today and making the best decisions you can for today. Tomorrow is another day and doesn't need to be thought about right now. One day at a time and one foot in front of the other. You've made the first and most important steps already, by being here, by seeking help and support and by being honest. You CAN do this!
    I have to keep telling myself I didn't get overweight over night, it took many many years to get here, so getting back will take time.
    I am new here, but am finding the support and encouragement of people fighting the same battle immensely helpful.

Congrats on your success in being here, and your future successes! You are already an inspiration!

Cheers
    Jojo
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Hi Dani -

As hard as it seems, you should know how courageous I think you are in just reading your post! It is daunting I am sure - and I agree with that other reply - one step, one goal at a time, for sure.

I am sure you'll hear on here eat at TDEE less 20% but in your case I would think less 30%. Measure and weigh all food to ensure portions and log it ALL in - heck I even logged in a jelly bean on Easter - I am that serious about losing the weight I put on.

As for recommendations, I watched the Forks Over Knives movie on Netflix 2 months ago and it changed my life - I now eat whole food plant based ONLY - no meat, no dairy and no oil and I eat ALOT - many ask, what do you eat??? I respond, what don't I eat???

I just heard from their website today and they are considering posting my story and before and after pics from the 1st 63 days - exciting - but the main point was for HEALTH, alot has changed in my own health issues due to this way of eating.

It's not for everyone and many tend to put weight back on not just from over eating after a diet ends but eating things loaded with oil which has so much fat and not making a real lifestyle shift - I think the biggest thing is not viewing food as this thing that has control over you - you control it, you do not live to eat, you eat to live................switching that mindset is so key and I am still working on that myself...............

I will certainly follow you on your journey and root you on!

Kristen
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    You go girl!

Definitely don't try to be superwoman! Like others said...one goal at a time! Like decide to drink only water right now. Then maybe cut out french fries...stuff like that. And definitely walk...walk up the street 5 minutes and back 5 minutes.

YOU GOT THIS!
  • brittanydetert
    brittanydetert Posts: 3 Member
    I agree that the most stressful part is starting, and aplaud you for making that life choice! There have been some great suggestions that have really helped me already, such as cutting out one thing at a time (for me it was energy drinks, a double whammy!) but once I felt comfortable without them, it was easier to look at another unhealthy habit (extra butter popcorn) and say goodbye!

I have also started blogging. I'm sure no one reads them daily, but it makes me feel better getting slip ups off my chest. Once I write about them, I forget about them and get on with life and the healthy lifestyle changes I want.

Best of luck to you, you will do great!
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    First.... I think it's awesome that you've made the decision to improve your health! :smile:

Second.... Try to look at it as a healthy lifestyle and not a diet. It's about living life to it's fullest, not about restricting everything that you love.

Start with small steps as the others have said. Cut back on something here and there and remember .....moderation. Should you choose to become more strict later on down the road, that's okay too, but for now, just make those small changes that aren't too overwhelming. I think once you see the scale move even .5 pound, it will start to encourage you.

I wish you the very best of luck!! :smile:

Edit: Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like! We're all here for support and encouragement. :heart:
  • Nmorfitt
    Nmorfitt Posts: 26 Member
    I agree completely that we will cheer you on!!! Be my friend!! I also like everyones advise about changing things one at a time. If you change everything all at once you will get frustrated and stressed about it. Take light in the super small victories because they are ultimaley what gets you to your ultimate goal!!

You can do it!!! Ask questions and log everything!!! We are here for you!
  • justsusin
    justsusin Posts: 3 Member
    I am glad your here, I just started too. I hoping good luck for you and will be cheering you on. :)
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Hi Dani!

First off, my name is Rachael (hence my very clever username here LOL). You are doing a wonderful thing here by deciding to come back on. There isnt really much I can say that all of the others havent said already.

The only thing I'd say that has helped me significantly in this lifestyle change is to remind myself DAILY that this is NOT a diet..it IS a lifestyle change for me to get healthy for myself first and foremost. I have surrounded myself with positive people (both on MFP and in RL) that are motivating me every step of the way.

You CAN and WILL succeed. I just know it, but you have to believe that yourself.

YOU WILL BECOME THE PERSON YOU WANT TO BE. <3 Feel free to add me, I log in everyday and just celebrated my 105th day of consistent logging :) My diary is open as well.

Rachael xoxo
  • lexington87
    lexington87 Posts: 27 Member
    Dani,
    First of all way to go by reaching out. The process is difficult as everyone has said try to look at small goals and as hard as it is try not to stress over the weight aspect right away. Try to start with smaller goals and don't just limit them to food make one to walk around the block twice a week to start. The more you focus on food and what you are stopping/getting rid of the more intimidating and believe it or not mentally the more you think about food and "dieting" the hungrier you will be.

You have a community full of support here and you will get to your goal because you are strong and want it!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    I remember you.

I agree with most. Change one thing at a time per week. I think the most helpful change is to start logging everything you put into your mouth. I'm still struggling with that. I find myself halfway through eating something that I forgot to measure and log. So then I measure what's left and double it.

Changing bad habits is usually hard work but well worth it.

Best wishes.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Don't think of this as a "diet." You and I got big by not eating the right portions. We are learning how to eat normally. Those of us who've been big from childhood never did eat normally. We have tough habits to break. But the alternative is a life of limited activities and an early death.

This is for YOU. You are in charge of how you do this and a whole passel of folks are here to walk beside you.

Start simply by logging everything you eat in the food diary without worrying about how many calories it is. Use that record of what you do on a regular day as your baseline. Then, when you are ready, try a day of eating a bit less, decreasing slowly until 4000 becomes a habit. Open your diary to your friends so we can help (not judge ... HELP).

Do arm raising exercises for starters. Let's face it, those of us with big arms are weight lifting as is. You can worry about getting hand weights later.

Don't let anything or anyone get in your way.

I'm sending you a friend request and am hoping you'll accept. I also hope to see you here tomorrow and the day after that because you (and I) can only do this one day at a time.
  • myboysaremylife
    myboysaremylife Posts: 10 Member
    I would love to help you stay motivated and provide you with encouragement on your journey! I just began actually using MFP since I signed up over a year ago. I have a hard time staying on track myself and am looking for someone to share support. I understand and know that we all fall off from time to time, it's the getting back up and starting it again that is what makes us stronger! This site has shown me that there are so many people that share the same struggles and there is so much love and support! I'm so proud of you! You can do this!! We can do it together!!! :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    We will be here to cheer you forward. If you want some practical suggestions, just ask away.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    You inspire me! Congratulations for making this decision for yourself (because you are worth it!)

Everyone else is right - do not try to make so many changes all at once. Calculate your TDEE (it will be off by quite a bit, but it will give you place to begin) and eat at a 20% deficit from that. I think that would be your best first step.

Set your TDEE and log everything. Even if you are over, log it. It will give you information you need to decide what to change first (likely reducing protion size - well, that's what it was for me).

Next change: set your protein macro at 1 gram per pound of lean body mass (an estimate based on your BMR calculation - mine is 125 grams every day) and try to meet that number every day. Let the rest fall where they may. Also, drink lots of water.

These couple of things will be a huge benefit for your progress.