623lbs, Trying to Get Going Again

Options

Replies

• kayh333
    kayh333 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. It takes courage to decide you want to change your life, and whilst some journeys may take longer than others we all want to get to the same destination a healthier and happier us! I have always struggled with my weight and I am definately an emotional eater. I always feel like it is an impossibly long journey and get depressed at the thought of giving up my favourite things forever, but fairly recently someone gave me some great advice. Don't think about forever, the only decision you can make is here and now. Don't think about what you should do, think about what you want. Do you want that cookie or that bag of chips or are you going to settle for some fruit? When you answer the question remember that you are only deciding this time, it doesn't mean you can't decide something different next time, this isn;t a huge commitment or a massive failure, it's just a chioce. Also think about what you really want, picture yourself fitter and healthier, doing some of the things you want to do but haven't been able to do, accept that making a healthy chice now moves you a tiny step closer to that and making an unhelthy one moves you a tiny step further away. Then ask the question again. If you still end up having the cookie, don't dwell on it or let it lead to a binge just acknowledge that it was your choice at that moment and move on. I don't always remember to do these things and I don't always make the right decision but I am getting better and over the last year I have lost 30lbs, but more importantly my choices are healthier more often without even having to try too hard! Good luck on your journey and remember to think about one tiny step at a time!
  • angelheart93
    Options
    Hi Dani,

I think that you should not call it a diet, because a diet makes you feel like you're being restricted. I think you should just swap the unhealthy foods you eat with healthier alternatives. For example, if you want something sweet like ice cream, try a delicious sorbet. Or if you want chips, eat pita bread. That's what I do. I understand what it's like to start your fitness plan and end up eating bad the days or weeks before you start because I am an emotional eater. Just think of each accomplishment as progress, and don't beat yourself up over mistakes, just learn from them and try to improve :) This is what I do when I cannot find the motivation to work out: I have all my things gathered the day before, and if I still don't feel like it, in my mind I say Just Do It. Find things and people that give you strength. I think you can do it and I really hope this helps! ^^

-Taylor
  • pepgab
    pepgab Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I set up little goals for myself I do better. Like this week I will not drink any sodas. Just a week and then the next week I pick something else to work on. Usually after I don't drink sodas for a week then next week when I can I really don't crave them as much.

Good luck. You can do this. It will be hard but you can push through and be successful.
  • MusiKat54
    MusiKat54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sure that is always the ideal way to go about it. However, some people physically can't make a change like that overnight. Stepping yourself off those types of food is better than continuing to eat them and wallow.
  • Foxtrot2N
    Foxtrot2N Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am starting out way, way, wayyy overweight myself and it's not because I don't like food. I found that starting out here and tracking my intake helped me start considering if I really wanted another serving of the food I'm eating. When you can actually see the numbers and watch them climb it helps you stay more focused and determined.
    Also, I approach this change in my eating habits the same way I did quitting smoking. Quitting puts forever in your head and it can be hard to wrap your mind around that and accept it. So, what I did was I never said I'm quitting smoking, I'm just not going to have a cigarette right now. I would put it off an hour and by that time I was preoccupied and didn't smoke it. Working on 1 hour at a time let me get my traction. I'm doing the same with food. I'm not quitting my favorite foods, I'm making a healthier, smarter choich right NOW. That food may be an option or an issue down the road but I am only working on the next hour or two. Taking it in small steps really makes it much easier to deal with and stick too. Good luck and keep going!!! 1 hour at a time...LOL
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You got this girl!! :)
  • abazooday727
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! Just one step at a time. FIND people you can rely on to offer words of encouragement. We are out there!
  • proctor78
    proctor78 Posts: 51
    Options
    wait, i'm confused.....if you want to loose weight...why eat ice cream for breakfast? Can you seek therapy? A counselor? learn to love you & realize that you deserve to be respected ? your body....your mind...your heart.....seek peace.......pray. Sending light and love your way.....best of luck to you on this journey.

Exactly my thoughts gklad someone said it....
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If the hunger is not physical. Eating food is never going to satisfy it.

Just try it get through ONE DAY making healthier choices and see how good it makes you feel.

Good luck with your journey.
  • criscollrj
    criscollrj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you on your journey! I don't know that I have any new advice over what has been given here, but I wanted to just encourage you that you have done great to make the step of logging your food. That is how I started here as well, in January, didn't make any decisions to restrict, just wanted to start logging. I have lost 10 pounds and am just eating in moderation but not cutting anything out. And I would agree with whoever said to find out what your TDEE is - there are posts about that - and maybe you already did that and came up with the 4000.

Good luck and God bless!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    wait, i'm confused.....if you want to loose weight...why eat ice cream for breakfast? Can you seek therapy? A counselor? learn to love you & realize that you deserve to be respected ? your body....your mind...your heart.....seek peace.......pray. Sending light and love your way.....best of luck to you on this journey.

OP is clearly food addicted and I think she has left the building because she really doesn't want to hear what we have to offer in the way of advice. In the hope that she is lurking here still, I offer a link to the website of a "food addiction conference" that explains food addiction from a physical and an emotional perspective. http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm

Dania, please, get some help. You are digging your grave with your teeth and you don't appear to care. I know that you know eating a lot of ice cream is very destructive to any possible weight loss goals. The same is true of many of the other things you eat. Why do it? You don't have to. There is help available. Please, fight for your life. You are worth it.
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Please please PLEASE read "Intuitive Eating". It changed my entire philosophy about food.

http://www.intuitiveeating.org/
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I commend you for coming back. If you need some support, FR me

Good Luck :)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Exactly my thoughts gklad someone said it....

Ditto. I would add that eating a box of Girl Scout cookies for lunch needs to be changed, too. Perhaps try freezing them in smaller batches to help with portion control.
    I would also recommend planning food out a day ahead. It will help you stay on track and not be overwhelmed hen you are hungry.
    Good luck!
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your advice--its very useful. Some of the comments might be well-intentioned and ill-placed, but I appreciate the support I'm getting here none-the-less.

Yes, Friday I had a "regular" day again because of the stress of the bomber...but I've logged two days in a row with only 4,000 calories. I've cut out soda and added a lot of water: I'm happy with the progress I'm making.
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody. I posted a while back on the introduction thread here, perhaps useful for background:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/801267-about-600lbs-time-to-lose-a-few

But now that I've been on MFP for a while, I thought maybe I could start posting here too? So admittedly these last few months have been hard for me, I think that deciding to lose weight itself is quite an emotional rollercoaster for me. As much as its hard being the size that I am right now, the actual thought of restricting myself of what I love to be on a diet really sucks, and I think the hardest thing is to actually feel it emotionally ready to be doing it. I don't know if that makes any sense, but its just this murky difficult thing, I think.

So yeah, its kind of crazy, but I feel that the stress of being about to diet has actually been making me a bad eater lately. Or, let's just say it hasn't helped, lol. I sent away for a heavier-duty scale a while back because I figured it would help to have one that works for me, so that I could actually monitor my weight. But since I've had it, I've just watched the number go up. :(

Today it read 623.

Having now GAINED 10 more pounds since I started at MFP, rather than lose 20 (which was my goal) is a little disheartening. But, yesterday I was under 4,000 calories for the first time, so I'm very proud of that. Any thoughts on how to turn this into a long term success?

Thank you guys for your support! Hopefully I can keep the victories coming.

-Dani

Congrats on taking the 1st step & posting :) I agree with the baby steps maybe setting acheivable goals & from there onwards :) best of luck & we are all here to support!
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I believe the word diet alone can cause a emotional toll in my experience its better to think of it as a life style change little goals are key over exertion causes discouragement and also be sure your goals are realistic! Nonetheless I hope you the best keep your mind focus on a healthy future and a you can attitude! Buddy system does wonders! Add me if you wish!
  • robynsmith87
    robynsmith87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, Friday I had a "regular" day again because of the stress of the bomber...

^^^ THIS.

I wish you luck with your weight loss journey and I hope that you can fix your relationship with food so that you don't turn back to your old habits because of stress or other emotions. As soon as I realized that turning to food was a temporary relief and actually made me feel worse in the long run, my whole attitude changed.

Turn off the news, get outside and go for a walk.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Try adding healthy food choices to your diet your eating a lot of empty calories that will only curb your appetite for a short period! I know fighting a sweet tooth is hard but keep A I CAN ATTITUDE! HIgh protein and high fiber is the way to go! Good luck!

Pizza and cookies... I'm sorry not trying to be mean I just find this mind boggling..

I know you can defeat those food demons you seem to be a sweet genuine person from what I've read!

Look in the mirror there is a Beautiful you!

Remember if someone can't accept you at your worse they don't deserve you at your best!

You must have the drive to help yourself before anyone can help you!

I wish you a healthy tomorrow!

:flowerforyou:
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your advice--its very useful. Some of the comments might be well-intentioned and ill-placed, but I appreciate the support I'm getting here none-the-less.

Yes, Friday I had a "regular" day again because of the stress of the bomber...but I've logged two days in a row with only 4,000 calories. I've cut out soda and added a lot of water: I'm happy with the progress I'm making.

Those are huge victories! Congrats!!