623lbs, Trying to Get Going Again

Replies

• treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Good luck!! You can do this. Please post often so we can follow your journey and cheer you along!!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I hope you find success this time! What are you planning to do now so you don't fall off track again?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Just take it one step at a time. Don't focus on the total amount you want to lose, just focus on losing 5 pounds. Then set a goal to lose another 5. Otherwise it might seem overwhelming. I lost 100 pounds that way, and have kept it off.

Also, because you have so much to lose you have a lot of options on how to do it. People who just want to lose 10 or 20 pounds can find it very difficult...every little calorie can make a huge difference. But you will lose very easily at the beginning, and that will give you some encouragement and positive reinforcement and should help to stick with it.

You can count calories if you like. Or...you can start off more informally. Just eliminate one snack a day. Or just cut the size of meals slightly. You can always move to counting calories later when it becomes harder to lose. You can try to eat healthier foods, or just less of whatever you currently eat. Personally, what worked for me was to gradually overhaul my diet and cut the unhealthy foods, but it is not necessary to lose weight (it is good for your health though.)

Try walking. Even if you can't go far...try two or three short walks a day. Park in a parking spot that requires more walking to your destination. Try getting a little more movement into your day. Consider adding a few minutes of stretching in the morning and evening. You just start gradually and add a little more when what you're doing starts to be less difficult.

Finally, I wouldn't cut calories drastically. That will be a difficult change to make all at once. It also leaves you no room to cut when you hit a plateau later. Just start with a small reduction.

Good luck.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Much love for coming back and not giving up. <3
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Much love for coming back and not giving up. <3

Exactly.

OP keep coming back and often.

It helps me to get support and I learn so much even 8 months in.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    One thing that really helps me is mindfulness.
    http://self-compassion.org/ is a good resource. Dr. Kristin Neff's guided meditations help me to feel compassion toward myself in difficult moments, to be more aware of my body and its hunger and satiety signals, and to generally be more calm and in control.

There are a lot of people who have lost significant amounts of unwanted weight through mindfulness. There are also groups here on MFP dedicated to it.

Together with diet/exercise/counselling where appropriate, mindfulness could potentially be helpful!
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    I know what it's like to start, stop, and start again. I'm finally "getting there" and so can you. :) I had / have days where everything seems to go to pot, where I eat way too much and the scale goes up, or even days where I stay under my calorie goal and the scale STILL goes up . . . I used to use the "little" failures as an excuse to give up, but I am done with that. Every time you fall down, pick yourself up and keep going. :) You can do it.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    One trick that can help increase fiber while reducing calories is to eat a small piece of fruit (apple or similar) before your meals. Another trick is to eat all of your meals in your kitchen/dining area. Don't multitask and eat.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Welcome back. May you find success and support for your journey.

I HIGHLY recommend working through the book and workbook called The Beck Diet Solution. It's not a book about what to eat. It's a book that teaches cognitive behavioral therapy for changing unwanted food habits. Doing this while working on losing has helped me to be more successful losing them I have in the past. It's worth your time and money.

Good luck! Post often so we can encourage you.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Well done for coming back!

I had lost around 42lbs a few years ago and put it all back on because I gave up and didnt really want to do it. So I know how easy it is to stop and add it on again.

Small goals are for me I have a weight I want to get to once I reach that I go down to another goal. I find it easier this way than thinking omg ive got x amount to go.

Good luck!

• mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    dania201 wrote: »
    As much as its hard being the size that I am right now, the actual thought of restricting myself of what I love to be on a diet really sucks, and I think the hardest thing is to actually feel it emotionally ready to be doing it. I don't know if that makes any sense, but its just this murky difficult thing, I think.
    i

What would you do if you woke up one morning and were told that you could spend 14 days however you wanted, as an 140 lb woman? Just imagine for a little while. Would it be thrilling to buy lingerie and admire yourself in the mirror? Would you go to Disney or Cedar Point? Both? Would you go hiking at Yellowstone or somewhere out in the countryside and marvel at skies dark enough to see the Milky Way above you? Maybe it could be something more mundane, being able to spend the day walking a zoo/aquarium or a trip to the beach.

Food is great. It is rewarding because it keeps us alive. But I would imagine that food has locked you in a prison. From the sounds of things, you're severely restricted in what you are physically capable of doing.

"Loss aversion" (the fear of losing out) can be a huge psychological motivator. You can, therefore, possibly activate a different response by phrasing some things in a negative manner. "By losing weight, I can go to Cedar Point" doesn't have the same power as "If I don't lose weight, I'll never be able to go to Cedar Point". You aren't saying that you absolutely will go but you can be sure that the alternative is the certainty of never having that option. Imagining a reality where you already possess something makes it more painful to lose it.

Hi Dani ^^^^^ this is a brilliant idea. Im going to try it myself. Good luck and keep at it girl.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but have you considered seeing a bariatrician? A doc that specializes in weight loss/control? It could be the breakthrough you're looking for. They can help by giving you guidance on what you should be eating for the best results, how to safely exercise, and they can also help monitor your health (blood pressure, heart, etc.) through the process. They can also help with medicines for insulin resistance (which is a tough thing to beat and really drives our food cravings) and appetite control. I've done it, and I'm glad I did. My monthly visits to the doc really help motivate me between visits and it helps to know you're on the right track--there's a lot less of the second-guessing yourself that happens when you're winging it on your own, and quite frankly, there is a lot of bad advice out there on how to eat for weight loss.

I agree with this. I was not as heavy as you are, but I was morbidly obese before I finally decided I couldn't live that way anymore. I ended up having weight loss surgery--a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in 2012. I've lost around 150 lbs & I'm maintaining now. I'm not advocating surgery for you right now because I think you need to work out the mental aspects of weight loss. I do think that a doctor that specializes in morbidly obese patients could be helpful to you.

Have you seen a doctor lately? One thing I consistently did when I was morbidly obese was avoid the doctor. I didn't want the judgement. I didn't want to hear them tell me I needed to lose weight (duh!). I also didn't want to hear what was actually going wrong physically with my body at the time, or what was going to happen if I didn't change my behavior. I was super good at avoiding reality & lying to myself.

I strongly urge you to find a counselor that specializes in eating disorders & start working intensively with them. I think this is just as important as your calorie intake at this point.

You have been given a ton of good advice & you don't fail as long as you keep trying, but you do have to assess whether you have a good chance of success based on your past behavior. You recognize that you have mental reluctance to give up foods. I do think that if you have a dysfunctional relationship with food, you can feel actual grief at the idea of giving up not just *what* you've been eating, but also *how much*. This can lead to binging on things--the "I'll never be able to eat 6 doughnuts, or a whole pizza, or a package of cookies, or *whatever* again" type eating. It was hard for me in the beginning to watch my husband eat a full plate of food at every meal & know that I could not do that--he just gets more calories than I do because he's a man & much taller than me. It can be hard to struggle with feeling sad for yourself over that loss & also resentful of other people because it seems so much easier for them. It's so easy to fall back into the patterns & habits that you have built up over a lifetime. So often we are derailed by a bad day or even an especially good day (holidays or other celebrations) or just by being sooo tired, where we turn to food. A counselor can help you develop new habits & new ways of thinking about food and support you when you need it. Because it's hard work to lose it & then it's a *lifetime* of constant vigilance to maintain the loss. But it's totally worth it.

I wish you the best!
  • wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    What's up bro. If you are that heavy, I don't think that counting calories is necessary at all to lose weight. My experience is that: the heavier you are--the easier it is to lose weight.

Any small changes ​you make will cause a dramatic weight loss.

I lost 57lbs once just by dropping sugar and junk food---with no exercise or cardio in 5 months.

347lbs to 290lbs
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    You got this!!
    :) congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    What's up bro. If you are that heavy, I don't think that counting calories is necessary at all to lose weight. My experience is that: the heavier you are--the easier it is to lose weight.

Any small changes ​you make will cause a dramatic weight loss.

I lost 57lbs once just by dropping sugar and junk food---with no exercise or cardio in 5 months.

347lbs to 290lbs

That's awesome that you accomplished that. My favorite things about counting calories are 1) knowing exactly how my intake compares with my needs and what I can expect from it, and 2) not needing to "drop" much of anything
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Dani. You can do this, you must do this for you. It is going to be a long term journey and you need to work out a sustainable plan that you can stick to without feeling deprived.
    Start logging all that you eat and drink on MFP, be honest with that, open you diary so friends can see and support you and they can suggest change. Try to move a little more, even if it is just at home and step on the spot. I would really like to see you on this journey and for it to be successful for you. If you have any questions just message. Good luck
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Welcome back. I truly believe in being imperfect but striving for continuing improvement. So a small change today where you keep the small good habit and improve upon it.
    So make today better then yesturday and tommrow better then today.
    Small habit changes are better. I suggest you start with a habit of always log before you eat. Then once that hits habit in a few weeks use that data to make another small change.