My husband won't diet with me

Options

Replies

• TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree, there really isn't much you can do if he doesn't want to change, he's not going to. I think that you should keep doing what you are doing and take care of yourself. I understand the concern because my husband was basically in the same place, although he finally came around when I started lifting and decided he wanted to lift and now magically cares more about his diet too. This is all a recent development, but he had to come to the decision on his own, no amount of my nagging or begging or suggesting accomplished anything. The best thing you can do is let him know your honest feelings on the situation and at the very least, hopefully, it will plant a seed.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    He doesn't have to diet with you either.

Lead by example. When he wants to, he will.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Simple solution to the point where you mentioned he finishes everyone else's plates...

COOK FRICKING LESS FOR EVERYONE! That way there's no real excuse there :devil:

^This^ if it's not there, he can't eat it.

Wifely submission? Are we still in the dark ages? A relationship should be about equality.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Men may need more calories but with 370# sounds like he has a few calories to spare. Don't wait till he slumps out of his chair clutching his chest .. and then if your lucky and he survives don't tell him 'I told you so'.

Seriuosly, get rid of the junk food and make smaller portions. Have the kids set an example or encouragement - unless of course they are really young. But they still need to have a Dad around. Drive the point that he has responsibilities to his kids.

Sometimes people have cravings and increased appetites, but there has to be some limits.. Best of Luck!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    You can't make him do anything. I'm almost two years into this sort of lifestyle and my husband is just now, on his own, on board with me. I never once said a single word to him about anything he ate or did, just like he never said anything to me when I was heavy. People either get it for themselves or they don't get it at all. Just focus on you. I understand being worried about his weight, because I worry about my husband's relationship with stupid sugar sometimes..... but it's not my body, not my choice.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a really whiny topic title, doesn't it?
    Let me explain, I don't want to force my husband to diet with me. I believe in wifely submission, it's not my job to tell him what to do, or make him feel guilty. But it seems like since I've been eating less he's started eating more. He's gotten in the habit of just eating whatever's left after I dish out mine and the kid's plates. But with me eating less there's more left, but he still just piles it all on to his plate. The other night I had a scoop of ice cream and I asked him what he wanted and he say asked for 2 scoops with cool whip and hot fudge, he would normally just have the 2 scoops. It's like he's going out of his way to fatten himself up. He already weighs 370 and I'm pretty worried about his health. How do I get him to see how bad his choices are without nagging?

What the heck is wifely submission?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    When he takes that extra scoop of ice cream smack him on the side of the head (fairly hard) and say something like "are you f*cking kidding me". Next time he goes for the extra scoop he will remember that smack and your b!tchy words. This will also lay down a great relationship dynamic.
  • jaymesjourney
    Options
    You need to stop putting foods like ice cream, syrup, and whip cream avaliable in the house. You are both examples for your children and they are going to develop bad habits. Also cook less food. Only cook what you know you will eat that way there wont be any leftovers for him...
  • Jinkeys
    Jinkeys Posts: 26
    Options
    My husband wasn't ready for a change when I was either. I didn't push him, because I don't want him to make the decision to change based on what I want.
    For about a week after I started following my plan, he was "rebelling" and having a good time teasing me with his treats. Soon he realised that he wasn't getting a rise out of me, since I felt so good about my decision. :)
    After I lost nearly ten pounds in two weeks, he began to get on board. He asked me to help him to be more prepared, which is easy, since I'm already making mine.
    I'm excited that he's going on this journey with me, and that it's what he wants. We shall see if he can keep up with me.
    Maybe your hubs will come around, just try not to let his lifestyle get in way of your vision for your own.
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    promise him a BJ for every pound he loses.... i bet he'll drop weight like nobody's business.

sorted

would put mine on board :bigsmile:

When I started back into a daily routine, and the weight started coming off, my husband sat on the couch, eating whatever. Complaining he hadnt gottenback in shape after a hip replacement. Never said a negative word about it. Slowly he started coming to the basement when I was on the dreadmill, sitting on the couch eating. Then he stopped eating. Then he cleared off the weight bench and his bike. The more consistent I was, the more he moved. The more compliments I have gotten, the more he has moved. Now that it is nicer, he is outside, doing more there.

never once did I comment, positive or negative. If I had a friend ask what I was doing food wise, would show them TDEE and BMR basics, based on his numbers, just to put the idea in his mind. Slowly he has come around to the point where he was, under his terms, not mine. I didn't work out when he was prior to his surgery, he never pushed or prodded me when I wasnt ready...when I was ready, I did it. When he was ready, he did it. Granted, if it had taken any longer for him to get ready I might have thrown something at him the next time he whined about beig out of shape :grumble:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.

Have an affair.

That'll motivate him.

LOL oh there will probably be ugrading
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just cook less food?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    besides the sarcasm...

he has to make the choice. Tell him you love him and worried he wont be around long enough to see his Grandkids. Then he has to make the choice.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Let him be responsible for what goes in his mouth. Give him a healthy portion and if he wants more or something else, then let him fix it himself. You can't really do anything except prepare healthy meals. Until it clicks with him, it's no use nagging. Just be a good example with your eating and exercise habits.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult to motivate someone to change a lifetimes worth of habits.

Until he is ready to make the changes for himself there isn't much you can do other than trying some of the advice handed out;

Lead by example

Make less food

Honest conversation

BJ offer for every pound lost
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "Wifely Submission....."

sw7yu299707.gif

Never heard of it....my wife just puts her foot up my *kitten* when I do something she doesn't like.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    When I cook, I sometimes scale recipes so they make exactly the amount we will all eat. If that's not convenient for a particular recipe, it helps to pack up the leftovers for the fridge or freezer at the same time as dinner plates are being dished up.

You need to take charge of your own health and let him handle his, but having less extra food or less junk food around will make it easier for him to make better choices.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a really whiny topic title, doesn't it?
    Let me explain, I don't want to force my husband to diet with me. I believe in wifely submission, it's not my job to tell him what to do, or make him feel guilty. But it seems like since I've been eating less he's started eating more. He's gotten in the habit of just eating whatever's left after I dish out mine and the kid's plates. But with me eating less there's more left, but he still just piles it all on to his plate. The other night I had a scoop of ice cream and I asked him what he wanted and he say asked for 2 scoops with cool whip and hot fudge, he would normally just have the 2 scoops. It's like he's going out of his way to fatten himself up. He already weighs 370 and I'm pretty worried about his health. How do I get him to see how bad his choices are without nagging?

Now that you're eating less, perhaps you can adjust down the portions you cook/set out? In this way there'll be less for him to finish off the dinnertable? :)

Also I'd imagine if you're cooking healthier/lighter he'll just naturally benefit.

My husband is naturally slender, although he's gotten a bit of a belly the last few years (probably due to my formerly often serving gravy, dinner rolls, high fat/carb everything LOL and too I used to offer him ice cream/cake for dessert). He hasn't any desire to 'diet' with me and yet he's probably gonna slim down a bit if only because the dinners I serve are more veggie/lean meat/fish based and for snacking I now offer him sherbert or pretzels.

Good luck!
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    He doesn't have to diet with you either.

Lead by example. When he wants to, he will.

This is what I did and after 8 months of me getting up early to go to the gym he started getting up early and going to the gym. Do what's right for you and he will hopefully be motivated to do the same for himself.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Lemme guess. You didn't start your efforts to lose weight until you were good and ready to, right? Your husband will do something when he is good and ready to. The best thing now is be a good example. End of story.
This discussion has been closed.