My husband won't diet with me

Options

Replies

• Penny_Lane_
    Penny_Lane_ Posts: 163
    Options

The submission is not something my husband expects or asks of me. I believe it's how God has called me to live, it simply means I'm here to support him as the head of our family and he's here to lead. I feel blessed to be able to serve in this way.

wait... what???

God... what???!!!!!

253.gif
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    wifely submission means honoring that your spouse is the head of house and the leader of the home. He is her covering. it means that she respects and loves her husband.

Excuse me while I go get sick. The archaic notion that a wife should be submissive to her husband is inequality at the least, abusive at its worst. I still can't believe that these beliefs in the natural role of a wife still exist in the developed world.

K....my wife loves me and respects me...but if I told her that she needed to submit to her to really show that, I'd have a high heel up my *kitten*.

I didn't know that anyone actually still did this wives submit to your husbands stuff...it's like 2013.

Yeah... I was going to leave that one alone. Pathetic religious people want to be pathetic, and I get a million PMs from angry religious idiots when I say anything against their archaic, mindless belief systems.

ON A MUCH FUNNIER NOTE:
    I decided to write my husband at work about the BJ reward system, rather than wait until he got home. He says all of the women in his office are busy texting their husbands the same suggestion. LOL
    Oh, and that is a yes for him. :-D
  • hello_c_cup
    hello_c_cup Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The submission is not something my husband expects or asks of me. I believe it's how God has called me to live, it simply means I'm here to support him as the head of our family and he's here to lead. I feel blessed to be able to serve in this way.
    wifely submission means honoring that your spouse is the head of house and the leader of the home. He is her covering. it means that she respects and loves her husband.

Husbands aside, I have to thank ya'll for helping me with MY diet. It's lunchtime for me right now, and I was totally craving some fast food -- but all this talk of "wifely submission" has killed my appetite. Woot!
  • shellyenglersnyder
    shellyenglersnyder Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that he'll come around in time. I talked to my husband about living a healthier lifestyle and he just rolled his eyes at me. That's all I could do, is tell him my concerns, I can't force him to do something for himself that he's not ready to do.

After I started MFP, and started seeing results, he has decided on his own to get on board and is now a member here as well.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think people are way to caught up on the wifely submissive part....

Let me just say, I am big on womens rights. I personally do not believe in Wifely submission. However if that's what works for you all the power to you. I know, our house is very traditional or old fashion in someways, which could be considered sexist, but that's what works for us and our personalities. I do all the cooking and cleaning. I do almost all the shopping. I do the laundry. I do the dishes. My hubby is a workalohic because he wants to provide more for us, so in turn I make sure he doesn't life a finger at home... other then yard work. I pretty much serve him his food. However he doesn't expect it, he is greatful for it, and I like to do it because he works so hard for us. My hubby works 2 full time jobs and trust me we don't really need the money. So when I get home from my full time job, I see as my job... to get the household stuff done. To be honest.... I would do all the household stuff probably either way. I like to take care of my man. It's who I am...

You should probably update your profile says you arent married.

I am actually not married. I am in a "happily unmarried" relationship for almost 15 years! I'll update my profile. I think we were having difficult times when I joined MFP
  • nzs110b
    nzs110b Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Buy him a moob bra

Betcha he takes it personally and will be on board after that

PERFECT! "Here hunny, I thought you could use this..."
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    this is simple, dont buy crap and dont cook more than is needed. My partner did the same even tho he is like a rake, but inside he wasnt doing himself any favours. There is nothing processed in my house, I never said anything he just eats healthy now.

When your told to need to do this n that people get defensive, I'm sure we all have been like this over food at some point.

Just make the changes, it's up to him to find his path even if it leads the oppersite way from your path.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    in my house, I actually dish up EVERYONE's plate (my husband and son get more just because well they're both little calorie furnaces!) then most of the time put away the leftovers to be used for a lunch or something... I've also started cooking less and healthier.

I agree with what others have said, don't keep the junk food in the house.

As far as anything else you CAN do, there's really not anything without just talking to him, and make sure you make it clear that you're worried about his HEALTH and it's not his weight bothering you.
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Things you can change:

Your behavior
    Your thoughts
    Your perceptions

Things you can't change:

His behavior
    His thoughts
    His perceptions

Case in point: Only you can change yourself, maybe he will follow, maybe he won't.

Other things that might help:

Talk to him about how you feel
    Tell him you are concerned
    See a marriage counselor
    See your own counselor
    Ignore his behavior and focus on yourself and your goals
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I am going to bounce out of this thread as well before I get another strike I can only be proper and hold my tongue for so long. I will just exit by saying...............

1. all those speaking of religion.... it isnt allowed per MFP rules
    2.STOP
    3.God will not save the fat man from keeling over from a heart attack
    4.Seek therapy lady you need it, marriage counseling and a dietitician out or dont stand a chance
    5.If God doesnt save him, your prayers go unanswered, he continues to get fatter and you never find your spine to stand up to him as an individual......SEEK A LAWYER

PS plz no more strikes Olivia I will not come back in here I promise :flowerforyou: Chasing rabbits at this point anyways :heart:
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    just keep eating healthfully and lead by example. let him see you change and be healthy.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You are not his mother. Let him wipe his own behind. Talk to him about it and respect whatever he has to say. Regardless of the outcome, your wifely duties do not include enabling him.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have the problem in my household. My wife and stepson want to always have lots of cookies, chips, pastries, ice cream, and other junk readily available. I just have to make sure to have lots of healthy snacks, especially fresh fruits and veggies readily available and to just use will power not to consume the less healthy stuff.

I do most of the household cooking which can make for a little more work. I have to do things like I'm doing tonight where I'm going to be making stir fry. I'll cook up some white rice in the steamer for them and will cook some brown rice separately for me. Or if I cook up broccoli, I'll steam it, set aside some for myself, and drown their portions in cheese sauce.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you can't make someone care more about their health-they have to worry own their own.
    A couple of times when I was younger my mom would be doing weight watches and ask me to do it with her, as a mother daughter thing, even though I didn't really need to diet.
    I only did it for her, and after a while I would just stop doing it, because I really didn't care. This time around I made the choice to diet, and am really motivated, and don't plan on giving up any time soon.
    Also, it is possible that your husband isnt eating as much more as you perceive. I know when I pass someone eating an unhealthy meal, or big snack, I find myself thinking "Do they know how many calories that is?" :laugh:
    Maybe the best thing to do would be make less food-that way there are less leftovers.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I you prepare the plates, give him his first. If there are leftovers, pack them up immediately and put them in the freezer.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Lose weight.

Have an affair.

That'll motivate him.

:laugh:
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    well its easy just make less food that way he will eat less

this and tell him for every 35 lbs he loses he will gain an extra inch where it counts lol so if he gets himself down to about 250 ish that is 2.5 inch's just sayin.
  • JessicaZen
    JessicaZen Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    buy healthy foods and cook them portion everything out and plan all the meals switch to lower fat ice creams and do fruit bars and sherberts to if you need snacks get the 90-100 calorie snack packs do what you need to do for you and the rest will follow good luck.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

You have got to be kidding me. I am sorry, but that is just too weird for me. My husband does all the cooking, cleaning, yard work and laundry. He has dinner ready for me when I come home. He owns his own business, so can make different hours. I work then go to the gym. I handle all the finances. Works for us.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Things you can change:

Your behavior
    Your thoughts
    Your perceptions

Things you can't change:

His behavior
    His thoughts
    His perceptions

Case in point: Only you can change yourself, maybe he will follow, maybe he won't.

Other things that might help:

Talk to him about how you feel
    Tell him you are concerned
    See a marriage counselor
    See your own counselor
    Ignore his behavior and focus on yourself and your goals

Agree.
This discussion has been closed.