My husband won't diet with me

Options

Replies

• jerryallegood
    jerryallegood Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Honestly and frankly tell him that you're worried about his health. You want to grow old with him, not tend to his hospital bed. *shrug*

I agree with this. Start talking about his funeral arrangements. Well, I may be going a little too far, lol. He will eventually change his mind. Just be patient.

You concentrate on sticking to your eating/fitness plan. You own it. You are in control.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    promise him a BJ for every pound he loses.... i bet he'll drop weight like nobody's business.

sorted

Win.
    My husband will be home soon. I am absolutely going to suggest this!

****texting hubby now!!*** haha

If that doesn't work continue leading by example...you need to proceed with your healthy living first and foremost! Hope he gets on board with you:)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am going to bounce out of this thread as well before I get another strike I can only be proper and hold my tongue for so long. I will just exit by saying...............

1. all those speaking of religion.... it isnt allowed per MFP rules
    2.STOP
    3.God will not save the fat man from keeling over from a heart attack
    4.Seek therapy lady you need it, marriage counseling and a dietitician out or dont stand a chance
    5.If God doesnt save him, your prayers go unanswered, he continues to get fatter and you never find your spine to stand up to him as an individual......SEEK A LAWYER

PS plz no more strikes Olivia I will not come back in here I promise :flowerforyou: Chasing rabbits at this point anyways :heart:

THIS times a million!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't bring the high calorie food into the house to beging with, he can't eat what is not there.. Maybe get him into the doctors for a wake up call, his weight is an issue,he could have a stroke and live and where would you be then, caring for him. Keep up the good work yourslef , losing weight can be life changing for you.. Your kids needs a healthy parent to model for them how it should be they mirror what they see. Goodluck hun :flowerforyou:
  • JustCallMeJaz
    JustCallMeJaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband was the same way...until I changed for him. I dont cook the same portions as I used to. Just enough for us to eat..no left overs... I buy only whole, natural, lean foods... He has no choice but to eat properly or go to the store buy extra crap, come home and fix it himself. Thats all... No nagging involved. If he doesnt like what I fix or the amount I fixed, he has the option of making something additional himself.
  • CJMommyof2
    CJMommyof2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It was fun reading the replies to this thread.

The submission is not something my husband expects or asks of me. I believe it's how God has called me to live, it simply means I'm here to support him as the head of our family and he's here to lead. I feel blessed to be able to serve in this way.

Of course I could just cook less. But I cook simply, I buy a pound of meat and cook it, or make a batch of biscuits or one recipe of whatever. We eat a relatively balanced diet, and not an abundance of processed food. The weight is from home-made biscuits, and beef stew, and macaroni and cheese.

I asked him last night if he was trying to fatten himself up, and he says "well someone's gotta make up for it."

I do believe he'll come around in time.

If the weight is from home-made biscuits, beef stew and mac and cheese couldn't you just not cook those things? In my house I just stopped cooking the unhealthy foods (like biscuits). Seems like that would be the best option. Find healthier meals to make and cut out the fat ones.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have been married almost 22 years. The whole time I have wished my husband made better choice. He just started to eat better a few months ago. Took almost 21 years of not saying anything to him, just letting see my choices and hear the nutrition I teach the kids.
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    this is a difficult one, my husband is 12st 10 and 5'9 but still wants to support me with my weight loss, i buy the food and do the cooking so we eat the same food, i do allow him to have more snacks than me because i worry hes not eating enough. my husband is also a long distance runner, i think he obsesses more about his weight because he's seen me doing well. i suppose i'm lucky to have a supportive husband. i think you should try and encourage him to lose weight, i agree with what the others say portion your food so there isn't leftovers. hope you get him on your side :smile:
  • doc500
    doc500 Posts: 5
    Options
    "Wifely Submission....."

sw7yu299707.gif

Never heard of it....my wife just puts her foot up my *kitten* when I do something she doesn't like.
    Sounds about right to me.. I can tell you straight up. He has to want to change. You need to stop feeding your family crap, and keep to your goals. Your husband will either come around or get to the point where he faces reality.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, my husband seemed motivated about losing weight for about 5 seconds... he is eating what I cook but he also eats snack and junk at work so there is really no stopping it. My hope is that as I lose more and start looking better, maybe he will decide to work on himself but I have tryed asking and it just doesnt work... My husband is 340 i believe and is diabetic, it is horrible to have to worry about his health, I hope you have better luck with motivating him than I have with my husband.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    promise him a BJ for every pound he loses.... i bet he'll drop weight like nobody's business.

sorted

You should write a diet book

Um, I think he just did. :laugh:
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The submission is not something my husband expects or asks of me. I believe it's how God has called me to live, it simply means I'm here to support him as the head of our family and he's here to lead. I feel blessed to be able to serve in this way.
    wifely submission means honoring that your spouse is the head of house and the leader of the home. He is her covering. it means that she respects and loves her husband.

Husbands aside, I have to thank ya'll for helping me with MY diet. It's lunchtime for me right now, and I was totally craving some fast food -- but all this talk of "wifely submission" has killed my appetite. Woot!

LOL there is no wifely submission here in this house, he may earn the money but I run the house hold.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It was fun reading the replies to this thread.

Of course I could just cook less. But I cook simply, I buy a pound of meat and cook it, or make a batch of biscuits or one recipe of whatever. We eat a relatively balanced diet, and not an abundance of processed food. The weight is from home-made biscuits, and beef stew, and macaroni and cheese.

I asked him last night if he was trying to fatten himself up, and he says "well someone's gotta make up for it."

I do believe he'll come around in time.

If the weight is from home-made biscuits, beef stew and mac and cheese couldn't you just not cook those things? In my house I just stopped cooking the unhealthy foods (like biscuits). Seems like that would be the best option. Find healthier meals to make and cut out the fat ones.

Sounds reasonable to me!;)
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Maybe don't bring the high calorie food into the house to begin with, he can't eat what is not there..:

My husband buys his own doughnuts and chips when he wants them. And those darn Pilsbury cinnamon rolls!! He buys those all the time!

As for my kids, of I don't buy it, they can't eat what's not here. But my husband is an adult with a bank account and a car and will buy junk when he wants it.

I do agree with the concept of making healthier or smaller portioned homemade meals. Maybe serve yourselves and instantly pack up the left overs so they will get eaten later instead of as 3rd servings.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

sorted

You should write a diet book

Um, I think he just did. :laugh:

I hubby isn't into fad diets.... but he wants to try this one! LOL
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am with all the replies that say to cook healthier meals for you and family, smaller portions so there are no left overs.

do not buy/make biscuits and stuff the kids get no benefit from these.

Lead by example.

Just because you feel your role is `wifely submission` does not mean that you have to buy/cook to much food?

As a wife (and I am saying this based on what you have said, not what I believe) you are the person responsible for feeding, nurturing and maintaining the welfare of your husband and children? So take control of your duties!
  • 3foldchord
    Options

LOL there is no wifely submission here in this house, he may earn the money but I run the house hold.

(Just because their seemed to be a misconception.and it was bugging me.... The Biblical description of a Godly wife tells us that . She does run the household affairs, buys land, earns money...etc....)

Carry on....
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that you should cook smaller portions. See if he even notices. If not, you know he has gotten inot the habit of eating what is left. You could also fix yourself a lunch portion and put in the fridge before you put it on the table.

Quit buying ice cream. When the craving hits, go to Baskin Robbins. You will be surprised how often you decide you don't need that ice cream after all if it is not available and you have to go out to get it.

The husband is the head of the household and the wife is the neck. Without the neck, the head can't turn. That means the head needs direction and input from the neck. He should be willing to discuss your concerns but you have to apporach it gently or he will get defensive.

Good luck!!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Maybe don't bring the high calorie food into the house to begin with, he can't eat what is not there..:

My husband buys his own doughnuts and chips when he wants them. And those darn Pilsbury cinnamon rolls!! He buys those all the time!

As for my kids, of I don't buy it, they can't eat what's not here. But my husband is an adult with a bank account and a car and will buy junk when he wants it.

I do agree with the concept of making healthier or smaller portioned homemade meals. Maybe serve yourselves and instantly pack up the left overs so they will get eaten later instead of as 3rd servings.

Thank You :) If I don't cook the biscuits or cookies or whatever he'll stop and buy some processed junk. I'd rather he eat the homemade stuff.

He has seen a doctor, of course the doctor told him his weight was a problem. But he also told him that unlike most obese people he is well-nourished. We eat a balanced diet of mostly real food, but too much real food and driving a truck 20 hrs a day has an effect on a person. He's not diabetic, even though it runs in his family. We're still both in our 30s, and I do believe it's not too late.
  • hello_c_cup
    hello_c_cup Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The husband is the head of the household and the wife is the neck. Without the neck, the head can't turn. That means the head needs direction and input from the neck. He should be willing to discuss your concerns but you have to apporach it gently or he will get defensive.

Srsly, I need to stop reading this thread.
This discussion has been closed.