Milk

Options

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i'll drink any of it, however since switching to whole milk i've started to gain weight easier, i prefer half fat milk in tea though

i drink a litre and a half of it a day and haven't dropped dead so i'm guessing i'm good to drink milk? :huh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The one time people ignore my dumb *kitten*. I'll rehash.

Anti Milk Side: We weren't "designed" to drink milk! (Correct, since human beings back 10s of thousands of years ago lost the enzyme required to digest milk as they aged, and 70% of people worldwide still lose that enzyme as they age)

Pro Milk Side: Who cares? We've been doing it for thousands of years. (True. American and European people have EVOLVED to be able to process milk properly. Lactase-persistence is found in 90% of European descended peoples)

If you're white, you can probably drink milk with zero problems, so go for it.

If you're not, you have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance, so it's more likely to cause you problems.

The. End.

WTF lol I am probably one of the darkest in here ATM and I drink milk easily. No issues, Never had any. Noone in my family or extended family have issues either. We are all dark.

He said non-whites are less likely to be able to drink milk without issues. That's true. That doesn't mean all non-whites have issues with milk.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Anti Milk Side: We weren't "designed" to drink milk! (Correct, since human beings back 10s of thousands of years ago lost the enzyme required to digest milk as they aged, and 70% of people worldwide still lose that enzyme as they age)

Pro Milk Side: Who cares? We've been doing it for thousands of years. (True. American and European people have EVOLVED to be able to process milk properly. Lactase-persistence is found in 90% of European descended peoples)

If you're not, you have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance, so it's more likely to cause you problems.

The. End.

WTF lol I am probably one of the darkest in here ATM and I drink milk easily. No issues, Never had any. Noone in my family or extended family have issues either. We are all dark.

He said non-whites are less likely to be able to drink milk without issues. That's true. That doesn't mean all non-whites have issues with milk.

*White ppl can drink milk no problems...........

*Non white ppl are probably LI so milk will cause problems

...........................................................................................................
  • Tigger228
    Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Almond or soy :) I used to drink organic skim or 2% until I realized how unhealthy dairy milk is and haven't gone back.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. :devil:

hahaha touche. :laugh:
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I grew up on powdered carnation milk when I was little. Tasted like water. Then drank skim that I think my parents watered down. Then just skim. (we had a large family so I think they wanted it to go as far as it could) So hard to drink anything but skim. 1% is doable but 2% tastes like sugar to me. And so thick. I know. I blame my parents! :)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    100% Almond.

Humans were not designed to drink cows milk, baby cows were.

Hmmm, so you were around when we were being designed??? That's interesting ......can you tell us some more ??

I was raised on FULL fat ,right outta the holding tank ,cows milk. Up until a couple months ago I have been drinking between 1/2 to 1 full gallon a day for my entire adult life ....and most of my teens/childhood. MAN, I wish I would have known that I was not designed to drink this awesome stuff sooner .....Right now I am drinking 2% .... as that is what works into my macros right now. But I intend on switching back to 3.25% here soon. As I start working out harder and longer.
  • swanke17
    swanke17 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! :)
  • erwinol
    erwinol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink fat-free (0%) milk.

I drank 1% and 2% during years. Then I switched to 0% and it was strange at the beginning but I got used to it.
    Now it feels strange to drink 1% milk because I am not used to it anymore.

Same for coke. I drank regular Coca-Cola and struggled with sugar-free coke. Now I am used to it and couldn't go back. A regular coke is soooo sugary it is disgusting. Once your brain is used to it and accepted it, it is like drinking the full caloric version.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk when I realized I was drinking the secretions of an animal outside of my own species. It got a little weird then.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk. Dark almond milk mixed with coconut milk is incredibly good.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk when I realized I was drinking the secretions of an animal outside of my own species. It got a little weird then.

I drink almond milk and coconut milk. Dark almond milk mixed with coconut milk is incredibly good.

Are you a vegetarian? If not, is it weirder drinking their nutritive secretions, or cutting them up into little pieces and eating their insides?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The. End.

...........................................................................................................

i didn't say probably. i said non-whites have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance. which is scientifically proven. it also doesn't mean all non-whites are lactose intolerant, of which you yourself are an example.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    100% Almond.

Humans were not designed to drink cows milk, baby cows were.
    tumblr_leua5y3HJE1qg6pyio1_400.gif
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

Are you a vegetarian? If not, is it weirder drinking their nutritive secretions, or cutting them up into little pieces and eating their insides?

MMMMM...menudo!!!! :laugh:
  • jaxokc
    jaxokc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good lord this thread made my head hurt. Just put me down for whole milk. Right, wrong or indifferent it's what I'm going with.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

The. End.

i didn't say probably. i said non-whites have a higher likelihood of lactose intolerance. which is scientifically proven. it also doesn't mean all non-whites are lactose intolerant, of which you yourself are an example.

Good glad you cleared that up I would have to shun any of my fellow mexicans if they were lactose intolerant I am a huge advocate for LI shaming :laugh:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Why cows milk? Is there a reason you think you need this? Have you looked at the grams of SUGAR in skim, 1% and 2% milk? It is so processed and full of sugar thats its not healthy to even drink it. Coconut milk has much less sugar, a little more fat, and even more calcium! Almond milk has much less sugar and less fat. I like the taste of coconut milk over almond milk. If you want real dairy, even though its not necessary for your health, opt for cottage cheese or nonfat plain greek yogurt. Milk is bad!!

Just to clarify: milk is not "processed" and is not "bad". My carton of milk contains: milk, vitamin A and vitamin D (two very essential vitamins not available in most foods). I drink it in addition to the yogurt I eat daily, Cottage cheese has more protein, 6x more sodium, more cholesterol, but also less calcium, plus whey, guar gum, potassium sorbate, natural flavor, soy lecithin, mono and di glycerides, citric acid, carrageenan, locust bean gun, corn starch, sodium and potassium phosphates, enzyme, vitamin A palmitate, and carbon dioxide. I have watched the dairy make cottage cheese and yes I eat it as well on occasion, but it is far more processed than either milk or yogurt.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've done 2% since I was a kid...I occasionally have whole milk if i'm feeling extra decadent with a piece of cake or some cookies, but it's going on a year and some change since I've had it...I can taste the difference and on an every day basis I prefer 2% or almond milk for my smoothies :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The. End.

What about if your middle eastern and drink goat and sheep milk along with laban, yogurt, kefir and other fermented milk drinks. These milks have less lactose and are more easily digestible. People in this part of the world have been using this as a healthy part of their diet for all of recorded history. It's only in western culture where this whole milk thing is debated and the debate centers around cows milk. Kind of myopic.

actually cultured milk products have significantly less lactose than typical dairy, so middle eastern populations would be an interesting one to look into.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Depends on what my calorie goal is and I choose milk accordingly as I drink quite a lot. So for cutting I'll have skimmed, for maintenance I'd usually buy semi-skimmed (?2%). Whole milk is a bit too creamy for my liking but would use it if bulking as a good way to get more cals in.

I also use soy or almond milk on my cereal.