Are you a food nazi?

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I think you might have meant you see it in terms of good or bad for you and not as a judgmental thing of the person.

This, exactly.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I am trying to help educate others in my life who I know ostensibly want to eat healthy, but will never do the research on their own or practice healthy eating habits that are more complicated than "eat this, don't eat that".

For instance, I was eating homemade ice cream (100 calories a 1/2 cup, made with greek yogurt and pudding - YUM) how much they scooped out. They said "oh, about 1/2 cup". The previous day I had measured 1 cup exactly and ate that - this was at LEAST that big - probably 1.5 - 2 cups. So I told them that - they might have been annoyed, but if you think 2 cups = 1/2 cup and plan to eyeball your food, you are in need of a serious wake up call.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think anyone who eats a full sized muffin is under the impression it is a low calorie, healthy choice. It could be that they are having a small cheat in an otherwise healthy diet.

I know people who eat a giant muffin, and honestly think it is 150-200 calories...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Similar to the post I responded to this morning about judging what is in other people's grocery carts -- no, I do not have the time to give a crap what other people choose to eat -- I don't have the the mental space to dedicate to people I don't know -- I worry about me and my family. Period.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly

^This. And making a judgement on someone else's choices when you have no clue of their circumstances and calorific (never mind nutritional) needs.
    this
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not a food nazi. I honestly don't care what anyone else eats.

I just keep rockin' my own nutrition plan and enjoying seeing the fat & inches melt away.
  • JenJenER
    JenJenER Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Only my son's or my mom's if she asks me.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    No, I could care less about what other people chose to eat. I obsess about my own calories enough.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you find yourself mentally calculating others's calories?

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie) and I overheard a woman ordering:

"Egg white omelette" -- good
    "Muffin" -- bad
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Part of me is thinking "you are going overboard with this calorie counting business".
    Another part of me is thinking "it's good that you are becoming more and more aware of nutrition and are able to make healthier choices".

It's bad since you are simply equating calories with a food being good or bad which is silly

No, I should clarify that I am also taking into account nutritional content.

Then why is an egg white omelet good, when the whites alone have less nutrition than a whole egg?

It's higher not only in calories but also in cholesterol and she didn't have your lean muscle mass to work it off.
    You can eat a much different diet than an older woman.
    But true, I don't know her HDL/LDL ratio.

I am 'older' and see no problems with ordering a muffin. In fact, I am chowing down on cheesecake as I type this. It fits in with my goals perfectly.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Guess it's good to recognize what you don't think you should eat yourself. If that was your intent, that's not a big deal. But if you're judging the woman because you think she's eating ridiculously, that's silly and judgmental.

Also, everyone has different ideas about diet and exercise. Some people may still be losing weight eating the same breakfast as that lady. Everyone has their own preferences, and they have a right to their preferences. Myself, I'm not on a diet, per se. I'm just changing lifestyle habits and exercising portion control.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

We went out to Baker's Square for lunch yesterday (no, I didn't have any pie) and I overheard a woman ordering:

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Bran muffin" -- slightly redeemed, but still high in fat and calories, not worth it
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Part of me is thinking "you are going overboard with this calorie counting business".
    Another part of me is thinking "it's good that you are becoming more and more aware of nutrition and are able to make healthier choices".

Then why is an egg white omelet good, when the whites alone have less nutrition than a whole egg?

It's higher not only in calories but also in cholesterol and she didn't have your lean muscle mass to work it off.

I am 'older' and see no problems with ordering a muffin. In fact, I am chowing down on cheesecake as I type this. It fits in with my goals perfectly.

Is your goal to get fat? Cause cheesecake has dairy and sugar and those things make you fat
  • sourpower434
    sourpower434 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a judgemental vibe from your original post, and it is a good thing that you are becoming more aware of nutrition and healthy choices! LOL, calm down everyone!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Side of fruit" -- good

Is your goal to get fat? Cause cheesecake has dairy and sugar and those things make you fat

onoz-omg_zps49cf24d1.gif
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Really. :noway: I love cheesecake, and the most I've ever weighed is 175 lbs, and that was 9 months pregnant. Nothing wrong with things in moderation.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I'll derail my own post.
    Who ever invented the phrase "butt hurt"?

Always best to derail your own thread, before someone does it for you.

And - http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/butthurt
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

"Muffin" -- bad
    "Side of fruit" -- good

I get where you are coming from. when I am at the supermarket I watch what other people are taking from their shopping trolleys and I try to guess the calories and nutritional value.

sometimes I think wow I should have got some of that too, then other times I think wow glad I don`t buy that stuff any more.

I don`t think the OP is judging others just taking stock of what they feel is good or bad in their view for how they want to eat?

I didn`t read any judging of the other woman, just some calculations as to what the OP deems good/bad?
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't notice what others eat. I really don't think she was trying to judge someone else. She was just saying that she has food nutrition on the brain and is thinking about it in a new way that she didn't before. The point is that she has made changes and she was excited about that and others just tore her down about it. I think it's great that you are noticing a change in your food choices and becoming aware of those.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I often find myself analyzing other strangers' food choices. I try not to be judgemental but it's definitely hard to ignore since I count everything I eat and automatically start guessing other food counts too. Usually its more of me looking at what other people are eating and telling myself... "i cant have that... thats like a days worth of calories..."
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The only time I 'judge' is when I'm at lunch with someone who says "I soooo need to lose weight" and then proceeds to eat more in one sititng than my entire day of calories allows.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's interesting... the further I get along in this, the less I am concerned with what others eat. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants advice, I will be happy to give it. I do love to help. I have far too much going on in my brain at any time (including: "Damn, I'm hungry, all I want to do is eat this huge plate of food in front of me!!! MMmm. food. food. food") to really keep track of what others eat. I suppose at one time I cared to do so.