Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I stopped caring what others think of me and my food choices! Otherwise this thread would have made me turn into a paranoid freak in the grocery store...

I think it's snobby if you are judging them for the their food choices, or feeling actual superiority because of your "better" cart.

If it's just friendly comparison-making, then it's not snobby.

I am guilty of peeking at carts of women who have a body that I'm jealous of, just to see if they are healthy or lucky... which is just as bad, (I have no way of knowing if this is what they typically eat, or even it's really for them, so it's wrong) and it's something that I should stop doing! I'm no one's judge.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.

Whose definition of "healthy" do you use to judge others?

I work out regularly (cardio & strength), maintain a BMI < 19, wear size 00 to 2 (depending on brand & cut), and get a smiley face from my doctor on my lab results from my physical.

My typical cart contains everything from diet drinks, microwave popcorn, peanut butter crackers, frozen pizzas, angel food cake, pre-made mashed potatoes, deli fried chicken, ice cream to salad, eggs, almond milk, low fat/low sugar yogurt, and fresh nuts, fruits & veggies.

So, what exactly would you say to me about my food choices?
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options

My typical cart contains everything from diet drinks, microwave popcorn, peanut butter crackers, frozen pizzas, angel food cake, pre-made mashed potatoes, deli fried chicken, ice cream to salad, eggs, almond milk, low fat/low sugar yogurt, and fresh nuts, fruits & veggies.

That sounds like my cart! :flowerforyou:
  • mreardon614
    Options
    I won't call myself a snob, but I'm just more shocked that my cart used to look like that. I'm more aware of the calorie content of everything. I look at what other people eat, and all I see is numbers (calorie amount) instead of food. I definitely try to remind myself that I was once in that position.

I totally do that at restaurants. I am sure my family is tired of hearing "do you know how many calories are in that?"
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Options
    My cart is always such a mishmash because I don't just shop for myself. I just shrug it off. Also, I'll only strike up conversation with other people in line if it's about a product they have that's really good, or looks interesting.

There are days where I have three bags worth of fresh produce and like two bags of snack foods, three different types of milk, bottles of soda, three cases of water, etc. It's fun trying to sort it all out. :laugh:
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I get commented on what I buy at the grocery store all the time. I'm less of a snob and more of an alien.

Highlights:
    --a cashier ask me how to prepare spaghetti squah
    --one who asked me what the name of a "leek" is
    --one asked if (dried) dates were like raisins, and then what fruit they were made from
    --someone said, "Good thing you didn't get xxx cashier, because he'll tell you that you eat like a liberal."
    --comments about how frequently I'm at the grocery store--or, if I don't go for two or three days, how weird it was that I wasn't there
    --when buying fair-trade chocolate cookies before, the cashier said, "You eat so healthy!" while I am thinking, "....No."

And other shoppers constantly say I look like I'm making soup (which I hardly do, I just eat a lot of vegetables).

Hahaha.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've actually changed grocery stores b/c the checkers for three weeks, I kid you not, would ask if I was making soup or having company over because I had so many veggies. I told them that I was just prepping for our family of 3 for the week. They each stated that they wouldn't eat 1/2 the stuff. They also had to look up some 'difficult' vegetables...like radishes, sugar snap peas, etc. SO, I no longer shop there and drive two miles farther where the produce is better priced and I don't get the third degree regarding my purchases. I'm happy with my decision.

:laugh: 'difficult veggies':laugh:

I must buy difficult veggies too. I get the craziest looks when they pick up my stuff. I seriously had a girl ask me what every single veggie was one time.

Coming from a grocery store cashier, it's easier to ask! It might be that they got talked to about typing in a wrong code, or maybe they're new!

ANNND, nope. It's not really my place to make comments, or judgments about what someone else is buying. I rarely even pay attention to what people are buying when I am ringing them up. I'll notice things and ask them what they're making (because I have to build ~rapport) or how they prepare something. My cart is filled usually with tinned chicken, tuna, ice cream, yogurt, whipped cream, fruit, sweet potatoes, and chicken. Sometimes there is garlic bread, or mac n cheese, or whatever else I feel like putting in my cart.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.

I work out regularly (cardio & strength), maintain a BMI < 19, wear size 00 to 2 (depending on brand & cut), and get a smiley face from my doctor on my lab results from my physical.

I would look at you and think you are just like my mother who is despite eating whatever she wants is all of 90 lbs soaking wet and too tiny to buy pants in most stores. Then I would curse the genetic metabolsim I got from my dad.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find myself being judgemental too! BUT I try to remember I haven't always been so knowledgeable about my food choices AND sometimes I actually have unhealthy stuff in my cart now that is not actually intended for me and so could they! Since going vegan, I have lost the craving for a lot of the sugary stuff I ate before. Even Oreos, which are vegan, don't taste as good as they used to!
  • hello_c_cup
    hello_c_cup Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So many people hatin' on ice cream and beer in this thread! What is up with that?! xD

Seriously, though -- I have much better things to worry about than what the people around me have in their carts. lol. If I think anything about what other people are buying, it's 'dang, I wish I had enough money to buy a whole frikken cart of food.'
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I was at Smart and Final today and found myself staring and being "judgey" about this lady's bags of cotton candy that she was buying. I stopped myself tho and just thought she must own a convenience store or snack stand.
  • LarryWorrall
    LarryWorrall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The one that always get me is when there is a cart full of junk (Chips,Cupcakes,candy) and processed foods and they get diet soda to make everything work out.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    So you ARE judging me! My fiance said it was all in my head. When I go buy the chips on sale because we're having a party, or I'm baking a bunch of cupcakes for birthday parties, i always feel like the eyes of hell are staring at me. You know what? up your butt, judge away miss goody two shoes...I'm chubby, and I have junk food in my cart. But you haven't seen my food diary lately have you? it's awesome, just sayin'.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not.

I would look at you and think you are just like my mother who is despite eating whatever she wants is all of 90 lbs soaking wet and too tiny to buy pants in most stores. Then I would curse the genetic metabolsim I got from my dad.

Nobody would say anything about your food choice, you aren't fat. Only fat people get judged and ridiculed remember?
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do this too! I love when its a basket of chips and little debbies and they have an overweight kid with overweight parents...hmmmm I wonder why....

It's hard for me to believe people are like this. I can't believe that someone would look into my cart (which will always have a mix of all kinds of foods) and make any decision on it whatsoever. I am so anti-judgment that I think I have made the whole world out to be this same way. How on earth could you possibly know WHAT anyone is going to be doing with the items in their cart. I mean for all you know they are giving it to kids in their neighborhood who never get treats (like my mom did when I was growing up) those cookies could be spread out over MONTHS. Because you are fit...you get to feel sorry for them? or judge them in ANY way? That's ridiculous and you KNOW NOTHING. I jog 4 times a week plus weights and stair climbing, my kids and husband are thin as pins but you would see my cart and feel sorry for me because YOU don't know any better. I can't believe that anyone would try and shake their head at what's in the shopping cart of a total stranger. A lot of you have opened my eyes today so I guess thanks are in order because it had never crossed my mind that someone might think that my cart should be made over or their cart is somehow superior. Now that I know...I think I'll start buying my cheat foods all together for months at a time just to get a rise and see that gloating look. It'll remind me how to NEVER get. Unbelievable.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I do this too! I love when its a basket of chips and little debbies and they have an overweight kid with overweight parents...hmmmm I wonder why....

It's hard for me to believe people are like this. I can't believe that someone would look into my cart (which will always have a mix of all kinds of foods) and make any decision on it whatsoever. I am so anti-judgment that I think I have made the whole world out to be this same way. How on earth could you possibly know WHAT anyone is going to be doing with the items in their cart. I mean for all you know they are giving it to kids in their neighborhood who never get treats (like my mom did when I was growing up) those cookies could be spread out over MONTHS. Because you are fit...you get to feel sorry for them? or judge them in ANY way? That's ridiculous and you KNOW NOTHING. I jog 4 times a week plus weights and stair climbing, my kids and husband are thin as pins but you would see my cart and feel sorry for me because YOU don't know any better. I can't believe that anyone would try and shake their head at what's in the shopping cart of a total stranger. A lot of you have opened my eyes today so I guess thanks are in order because it had never crossed my mind that someone might think that my cart should be made over or their cart is somehow superior. Now that I know...I think I'll start buying my cheat foods all together for months at a time just to get a rise and see that gloating look. It'll remind me how to NEVER get. Unbelievable.

Yes! :smile: Very well put. Lots of very self-righteous folks on here with VERY high opinions of themselves.
  • overshadows
    overshadows Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really like to observe other folks' carts, but I try to to draw too many conclusions. I too, buy treats from time to time.

That being said, most of my splurging is still with homemade food from real ingredients, and not stuff out of boxes. We made strawberry sorbet the other day, which is loaded with sugar - but better than buying drumsticks ice cream or a premade pie.
  • KickyLegs
    KickyLegs Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm pretty healthy, and I do like to observe other peoples food choices at the line up. But then it happened to me once. I was getting tortillas and since I think the white flour kind stay intact better , I got them over whole wheat (which I usually buy). Some guy standing next to me reached for the organic whole wheat kind and kind of gave me a snobby look. He was totally judging me!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever noticed anyone's cart was when an incredibly stoned couple in line ahead of me unloaded literally $100 worth of Funyuns, Doritos, Slim Jims and snack cakes. It was kinda hilarious. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they sobered up and realized what they bought.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am mostly just happy that my cart has completely turned around. It used to be mostly microwavable/oven-heatable foods that were processed and bad for you, and now it's all meat, cheese, fresh and frozen vegetables, fruit, yogurt, etc. I'm really proud of myself.