WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It has been a good day. We visited with neighbors and had dinner with a group of sailing friends. We had fresh Dungeoness crab. YUM. The food was great and so was getting to see our friends. I'm under my calories but don't expect to see a loss tomorrow. :noway: :wink: :bigsmile:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Wow - another day of blue skies in London! What's happening?

Got a day of visiting the aged parents - MIL at the nursing home and then picking my dad up from church. Hoping to find time to get a good stomp in later - although I have to make sure I don't go too far from a loo - grr.

I hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just changed my profile to show our grandson Ethan. He is such a happy little boy (most of the time) :laugh: I've just made his christening cake so that is baking & the house smells wonderful. Thankfully I don't like fruit cake.

Good luck to the London Marathon runners today. There are so many signs that say "For Boston".

Geri in England
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Geri:smile: What a beautiful baby:love: !!! He is just adorabe!!! I agree Good luck to all the London Marathon runners!!!

Amanda:smile: Enjoy your day visiting!

Michele:smile: Your period:noway: :sad: !!! Tell Kris and Jessica to have a slice of that fudge cake for me:laugh: !!! It sounds delish!!!

Katla:smile: Sounds like a perfect day! Crab...yum!!!

I`m off to an early start this morning:bigsmile: , however than means no more time for the computer:sad: !
    Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in chilly but sunny NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,310 Member
    Options
    Michele, why don't you have a look at skinnytaste.com for recipes. There is a whole long list down the side with ideas for potluck, snacks etc. I love the Easy no crust spinach and feta pie, which you can cut into portions and stick a cocktail stick in. It's delicious! Or my turkey burgers I posted earlier are fab and just great for a barbecue.
    When I said I moved to the country I meant I moved from London into the English countryside. It's quite a big change for me as I lived in London for 40 years. We have no shop in our village, but two pubs! Luckily the train up to London is a short drive away and takes 1 1/2 hours as I go up often to see my grandson and love art galleries and exhibitions. The foreign films I love and used to go to the cinema for I now watch via Lovefilm on the TV so I am not deprived. Yesterday I watched a French film called Paris, to get me in the mood for my trip tomorrow.
    I have checked in on line this morning , but haven't put a bag together yet.
    DH had a dizzy turn yesterday evening after his trip to the football, but is a bit better today. He has had it before, something to do with the inner ear I suspect. I am hoping my knee holds up with all the walking in Paris. I will strap it when I am there to give it a little support.
    Getting excited now! I am planning to have an apple in my handbag for when I feel a bit hungry mid afternoon. Maybe some almonds. I used to get awful hypos, but since I have lost weight they are not so bad, but I do get awfully hungry at that time of day. When you are at home it's easy to make something healthy, but walking about or in a hotel - ???
    Love to all. I always liked this quote,

"Who are you pretending not to be?" :love:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Newbies: We're nearing our 500th post for this thread. MFP limits a thread to 500 posts. Barbie starts a new thread for us and leaves a link to the new thread on the 500th post. Be watching for it.:glasses: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I got to wondering about Joy (Sunshine) who lives in Norway.....hadn't heard from her in awhile.....so I sent her a personal message and found that she and her hubby had gone back to the USA, picked up their moms and took them on a cruise from New Orleans to Rome.....she wrote that they are arriving in Rome today.

:bigsmile: more from me later.....we're doing our Isagenix cleanse day today----haven't done one since before Jake had his surgery and it will be a much needed day for rest, recuperation, and reflection.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning from sunny Indiana. Hope every one is having or has had a good day., Smile, drink you water and tell someone you love them. I wish you could see my husband right now. My daughter called and said she needed to borrow our drill bits. I don't know how many tool boxes, kits I have bought him. I have tried to maintain mine. But he uses one of his tools, misplaces it then gets in mine and then of course misplaces it. So he just put the two tool boxes togehter and is sitting on the hallway floor trying to organize our new and improved tool box. He found the container his drill bits comes in and it only had 2 bits in it so he emptied out the box and has now found all of them. We have waisted so much money on buying tools because he loses them

Joyce form southern Indiana
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies. I have a rotten headache today so will only stop by for a couple of minutes.

JaneSD: sending prayers for you and your mom.

Reallymary: glad things are getting back to normal in beloved Boston

Joyce: I bet you are a bit dehydrated! Drink up!

Polly: glad you are feeling better. I had a string of those sinus infections too. As a mother of two foreign-born children who came here not speaking English I say bless you and all ESL teachers!

Barbie: do you count the steps you get while walking and doing your line dance?

Sharon: are you drinking enough water? Eating enough fiber (25-30 grams a day)? Also don’t cut your calories too low.

Hungry Joyce: I hope you found something yummy but healthy to fill up on.

Brooke: DD#1 has a slightly better attitude this week. She has not moved out but did get a new job at Don and Millie’s (fast-ish food restaurant). They said how many hours she works a week is up to her….she has said that before so I’m not sure she is getting that right. Benny’s surgery is the 29th.

Michele: I’d be unhappy with those alterations too! I hope your friend can fix the dress.

Amanda: you’re still sick? Or I guess having trouble with your IBS? BLEH Hope you feel better soon!

Geri: cute pic!

Not much else to add today. Time for more motrin. I also have been having pain in my right elbow and today woke up to find it swollen and full of fluid. GRRRRRRRR Time for an ice pack! I swear I am an orthopedic nightmare. Well, take care everyone. Meg from pretty nice Omaha
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to All! The weather in GA is just so nice today....not too hot or cold and bright sun out. My azaleas are in full bloom across the front of my house and just gorgeous. For the first time ever, I hired someone to mow and trim the shrubs last week and it looks so much better now. Also, the yellow pollen was washed mostly away due to heavy rain on Thursday.

I took my mom and sis out for Chinese on Saturday and really regretted the place we chose. The food was not good and when I logged the calories, I realized that even though I tried to choose well my day was way off kilter. This journey will be very slow for me but I am determined.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Peaches, glad you had a good day with Sis and Mom:love: . I really, really those days. Mom is in Heaven now and my Sis and I just don't take the same amount of time to get together anymore. Consider yesterday a learning experience, now you know what not to eat!!! I used to have 2 Azalea bushes but my bushes crowded them out. Only one of them is left standing. My husband doens't like to trim the bushes at all. he feels they are a protection for the house, both in sun and no one can see in the house. Boy is he right on that. He does not believe in curb appeal! I do love it when this little azalea bush breaks out and I can see it.:love:

Joyce from southern Indiana
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I tried to add a picture of my flowers following the instructions I saw on another post but just can't get it to post.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone. Having another great day - the sun even peaked out for awhile. :glasses: Had fun teaching yoga this morning. Had another big class. I can't wait to retire so I can teach more often.:bigsmile:

Talked to both my kids - always makes for a great day. :heart: :heart: Since finals are coming up I decided it was care package time again. I backed oatmeal raisin cookies (it was my DS's turn to choose) and they are so yummy. Adding jerky and sour candies to their packages - that should get them through all those late study nights.:drinker:

DS told us that shortly after school is over he is going to WI to meet his girlfriends parents and he wants us to come visit him at school this summer so we can meet her too. I guess it's getting serious between them. :heart: He and his GF both have lab jobs at school over the summer so will be together over the break. :love:

We are picking up our DD from school Mother's Day weekend. I'll be lugging her stuff up and down stairs and then driving for many hours but we will be together and that's what counts. :smooched:

Well got to go put up some brown rice for our chinese stir fry tonight. I really need to pack up those cookies soon because I hear them calling my name. :laugh:

Have a great rest of the weekend. Jodios :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone; not much time here but will write a little.

I worked (volunteered) races both weekend days: Sat. was a 5K to celebrate Spring and today's was one of my favorites, a one miler at an elementary school.......last yr. this school was rained out. Ironically, the Spring one was damp, freezing, gray, and windy. Today's had sun and slightly warmer temps. This is how I got involved with the running community---my daughter's school put on a race to raise PTA funds and in first grade she came home and announced she was doing it; then she joined the kids team with the local running club. She's a junior in college now and still running at school; in part funded by a running scholarship. Never been a record setter (although she was fastest in our state at one very early point) she still loves it. I help at most of our club races and all the high school cross country for the city. As a result a lot of my friends are runners, quite a few in their 70's, including one man who did a half a few weeks ago with one artificial hip on one side and an artificial knee on the other........of course he's not supposed to do this but his attitude is that they'll just replace them if they wear out again. I just shake my head. One of my best friends did an Ironman to celebrate turning 50 and is thinking about doing one for her 60th. I do think that the people you surround yourself with plays a big part in how you view life and what you are capable of yourself. I don't think I'd be half as active without these people in my life. I tease my husband (three yrs. younger) that when he dies the stone is going to say "Did not participate" after the dates. But in the end you can only be responsible for yourself.............wow, did this get away from me...........anyhow, I'm done rambling............I guess.........
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, Friends. My NBA and MLB teams have both lost their games today, but I'm still having a great day. Got to sleep in, did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike, then got an early start on my workload for next week :laugh:

Joyce –I can relate to you, DH and Melody. Our kitty Mars shares a special bond with my husband that just melts my heart. As I write this, they are napping together. :heart:

Polly – Can only imagine the stresses of being an ESL teacher. Bless you for the special attention and extra energy you give to your students.:flowerforyou:

Barbie- Your friend is blessed to have you near. I'm sure the walk together was healing.:wink:

Grandmallie = Your DGD is a cutie. :smooched: What is the picture in your ticker?

Jodios – I salute your NSV at the grocery store. With your excellent food choices you’ll have the cholesterol down soon, for sure.:drinker:

Sharon – Stay the course. I always sigh when I see the “5 week” projection weight when I post my food. At this point in my life, the weight is just so stubborn. Commitment and persistence with MFP and this support group is the only advice I can provide to you. Also, be sure to try on your clothes as many times the scale can be so arbitrary, but your jeans don’t lie. :wink:

Michelle – Sorry you had a bad experience with alterations. :mad: I feel really lucky my local dry cleaner has a true master. I just took my favorite little black dress to her. Because it is lined, and has to be brought in and hemmed up quite a bit, it is going to run me $30, but that’s so much easier than finding a new dress. It’s rare that I dress up, but I’m giving a speech in Boise this week at a gala fundraiser = stressing over this! :embarassed:

Katla – Fresh crabs are one of my all-time favorite foods. I’ll bet you get great ones in the PNW. :smile:

Geri – Thanks for sharing picture of darling Ethan. Made me smile. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

CityJaneLondos- You are smart to bring your own healthy munchies on your trip. I am pulling for you to make smart choices in the face of many temptations that look so benign when we’re away from home. You can do it. Bon voyage. :drinker:

Meg – hope the headache and other body pains have diminished. No fun on a weekend. :sad:

YannieJannie-WoW! Love the story of the older runner with artificial hip. You are so lucky to have these inspirational models of courage, health and fitness around you. :smile:

I need some advice ladies. I'm shopping for a new blender that can handle tougher fruits and veges. My girlfriend swears by her VitaMix purchased on QVC. I just don't know if a $400 blender is really worth all that....I'd love to hear from those of you who have used one or have something comparable.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Meg, when I get up in the morning I dress immediately in jeans, etc. to walk the dogs. I put my pedometer in my pocket then…..when I change clothes after my shower later, I put the pedometer in the pocket of the pants I’ll wear for whatever I’m doing for the day. I don’t take the pedometer out of my pocket until I change into nightclothes after brushing my teeth. I count all my steps every day no matter what I’m doing.

:flowerforyou: Peachstategal, now you know why I avoid going out to restaurants……no matter what I choose, I always wish I could be cooking at home instead so I could control the ingredients and the sodium.

:flowerforyou: I got my minimum 18.000 steps today walking the dogs but otherwise took it pretty easy…….I thought I’d do some weed pulling but Jake was in the mood to watch TV and I had laundry to fold and other little tasks to do so I watched with him and got some indoor stuff accomplished….the great thing about our little yard is that none of the work is an emergency….we’re only a few hours away from bedtime to end the cleanse day….we avoided the lure of taking a nap because that might interfere with falling asleep easily at 8PM.

:bigsmile: m reading “Thinner This Year” and enjoying it.

:heart: arbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Poerava: the vitamix is worth every hot, red cent. I use mine every single day and have never regretted paying the bounty, lol.

Jackie
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Geri – what an adorable baby on your page! Such an infectious grin – I bet his laugh is terrific. Oh, pages farther on I see it is Ethan. He is so cute!

Poerava14 - I had always wanted a Vitamix yet didn’t feel justified spending the money. But then DH got me one for my birthday and I so enjoy it! I can make ice cream, I can make soup and all things in between. My sister has a Ninja, and loves that.

Jackie – love the comment about the Vitamix bounty! I think it is worth it, too. It has a terrific warranty.

You know, ladies, you don’t HAVE to click ‘Complete This Entry’. Except for the occasional inadvertent click, I quit doing that a long time ago.

Had a fabulous time at my nephew's wedding - beautiful bride, lots of smiles all around. We were able to reconnect with his half-sisters which was wonderful. One of them looks so much like my mom it made me tear up! (We fell out of touch when their parents divorced years ago.) Doing laundry tonight and getting organized for the coming week.

The thread was my first stop after powering up the PC. Detailed logging will resume tomorrow, along with exercise. I enjoyed every bit of the time and all the food along the way. We’ll see what the scale says in the morning, yet I believe day to day consistency allows the occasional excess.

Sleep well,
    Gail, metro Atlanta
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am exhausted after a very very busy weekend. No time to catch up but I wanted to post a picture of me riding my dirty little white girl today. Hopefully I can finally start losing again now that I am riding again,.

VPApril2013_zpsa68a6cf7.jpg
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,124 Member
    Options
    Poerava: the vitamix is worth every hot, red cent. I use mine every single day and have never regretted paying the bounty, lol.

Jackie

I totally agree----I use my Vitamix at :bigsmile: least:bigsmile: once a day! It is wonderful. I make smoothies, salad dressing, the coating for my kale chips, I grind flax seeds, chia seeds, I've made soup. I think my on my highest usage day I used it 4 times. It does indeed clean up as easily as they say it does. The warranty is great. Customer Service at the company is tremendous.

Did I mention I :heart: :heart: LOVE :heart: :heart: my Vitamix??

Lin in Central Iowa

1482351y1dphi597b.gif