Seriously?!

Options

Replies

• MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Knock it off with the country bashing folks. if youre a proud american-awesome.

if you prefer canada, england, or sweden-good on you.

dont get nasty. seriously.

exactly! I dont see how thats called for

You're the one who called Canadians racist..
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

No actually you did
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options

Im still confused how someone mixed nationality with race....
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    wow... let me get this straight, he's stealing empty cans? And you want to shoot him for it?

It's not about stealing empty cans. It's about him thinking he can go onto someone else's property after knowing that person is home and armed, and take whatever he wants back to his big shiny truck. He's obviously not lacking for $$ with a vehicle like that. He also is possibly lacking some sanity... I would have fired a warning shot too. He didn't take you seriously before. As a small woman at home alone, you do what you need to do to protect yourself.

If you did nothing, what if he came back for more? What if he wanted to come in the house?

Good for you for standing up for yourself and your property.

Was her life threatened?
    I am a small woman at home too, I feel no need to wave a gun around at a guy digging through my garbage. Fear. That's the way to live!
    We have names for people with your mentality: Victim and Statistic.

We have names for people like you, too!
    Yeah, a realist.

Noooooo... more like WT.
    LOL ok.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read tomorrow. Too long to read right now.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank god I don't live in the US of A!!!

Find it funny that other country’s are allowed to be racist against us but lord help us if we do you we will see you next time you have a disaster and your crying for help

Did you just call Canadians racist?

You damn Yankees!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I live in a (pretty) nice neighborhood in a small country town of about 1000 people. my yard is 7/8 of an acre, with a 30'x32' garden , several vehicles, and a 15x15 dog kennel we are cleaning out to turn into a chicken coop. My property line starts 20' off the railroad behind the house. We have several No Tresspassing signs in plain view at all sides of the yard (peopke like to come lookat the clasdic cars and my dogs yank my arms off.when i walk them and people are randomly in the yard).

Earlier today, a man was picking up cans from the railroad. We have a large pile of cans inside and beside the kennel that are going to end up buying our chickens. Man (who is in a polo shirt with pressed jeans and a very large belt buckle) sees my cans and immediately begins trudging through the blackberry thorns into my yard towards them. Neighbors dogs are going beserk.

I step outside in a bright yellow shirt, slamming my door. He sees me and goes back to the railroad.
    I pick up my garden rake and head out to my garden so i can pull dirt to my plants and keep an eye on the guy. I notice he goes back to a brand new dodge truck with dealer tags on it.

I finish pulling dirt and head inside to finish making lunch. Within twenty minutes, neighbors dogs and mine all go beserk barking. I go into the kitchen and see the same guy pulling cans out of the pile and bagging them. He is now over 30 yards into my property. Now, this county has a very "dont care unless youre dying" attitude. It takes cops over 30 minutes to get here in an emergency-and theft isnt an emergency. (i caught a guy cutting copper pipe off a neighbors house-i kid you not, dispatch suggested i go tell him to stop so they wouldnt have to send units to my town.)

I am 4'8" and 120lbs. i am alone. The guy looked me in the eye not twenty minutes prior-he KNEW i was home. Something aint right with this guy, but im not letting him run off with over $150 in scrap metal.

I grabbed a hunting rifle and slammed my door again. He started towards me intil he saw the gun. His excuse?

"im cleaning the railroad."

I told him he was in a dog kennel, not a train-and he was a long way off the railroad. I expkained that he had walked directly past two No Tresspassing signs and was on private property. He left when i told him that ny rifle shot rounds that now cost $1.07 a piece and im not wasting my money on a warning shot.

Now, im mad. i prop the gun up inside the door and resume my lunch, irritated but thinking that he learned a lesson despite getting some of my cans. I ate, put on a load of laundry, and started getting ready to shower and work out. A half hour later, i heard the neighbors dogs again. I looked out my window and the guy was BACK IN MY YARD.

When i shut the door, he never even looked up. When i chambered a round less than ten feet from him, he booked it. His bag got ripped on a stick as he ran. I got my cans back, plus a few.

I am beyond livid. it is broad freaking daylight. He not only knew i was home, but knew i was ARMED and DTILL he had the nerve to try and steal directly out of my back yard?! TWICE?!

i called the sherrifs dept to let them know someone is stealing scrap. they said theyve been getting a ton of calls like this.
    I said theyll get one less if i catch him again.

WTF is wrong with people nowdays that they look you in the eye while they steal from you?! In broad daylight?! And the prospect of a bullethole doesnt dissuade them?!

If he needed money to eat, he should have knocked on the door. id have given him lunch and all the cans in return for cleaning out the last half of the kennel. I worked my butt off digging that stupid thing out-theres no way you profit off my hard work (and wadp stings. and mosquito bites. and blisters.)

It really bothers me that walking outside and showing him someone was home was not enough-that a gun was not enough until i loaded it and pointed it at him. Nobody should be so bold that they would wager their life on whether a gun is loaded.

Also? I dont care what your personal gun feelings are. Im protected by Castle Law-if im defending myself or my property i have the right to use deadly force. Im not about to get in a fistfight with someone twice my size-nor will i hide in my house while they rob me blind.

This IS about cans. Thats what it comes down to.
    Not really. First it's cans. Then when he gets away with it she wakes up to nutman in her house. The guy is clearly nuts or brash or desperate. All good reasons she should be prepared to defend herself.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

No actually you did

tumblr_inline_mi6ezp1Q411qz4rgp.gif
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Yeah, a realist.

Do you realize you are calling a woman a "victim" and a "statistic" because she doesn't think it is reasonable to use deadly force against a man who is, while an *kitten*, literally engaged in nothing more that trespass onto a yard and stealing garbage??? Do you regularly blame the victims for a perps actions, citing her "mentality"? I hope to god you are not a cop IRL and you just pretend to be one (or want people to think you are) on interwebs.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m88x9swYdu1r9x0jao1_500.gif

tumblr_m6e2mgPcum1ryytvwo1_400.gif
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read tomorrow. Too long to read right now.

It's not worth it lol it has become an argument about gun laws (with some racism mixed in) just trying to save you the trouble (:
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    Im still at a loss for how some of you would have preferred i handle it!
    Just walking outside didnt work.
    Its like 90° outside. Should i have offered him ice water while he stole from me?
    Asked him politely to leave?
    Ignored him and counted a $100+ loss?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IBTL.

Okay so now that I see "race" is being thrown around let me just get my two cents in.

OP you're my hero. I was just saying this weekend I like Texas and 3 people jumped on me for it and I did not back down. I like their style, I said and the wide eyes I got, they knew what I meant. The only other thing I'd like to add is this may have been about can's in every sense of the word. Did anyone see OP's pic? She is fit. Glad she knows how to stand up for herself and protect her cans. All of them.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank god I don't live in the US of A!!!

Find it funny that other country’s are allowed to be racist against us but lord help us if we do you we will see you next time you have a disaster and your crying for help

pretty closly related isnt it same as sterotyping

Sides hurt. Can't breathe.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Its like 90° outside. Should i have offered him ice water while he stole from me?

But wanting to shoot him is the right answer?

ETA:
    You probably shouldn't let $100 worth of cans sit outside. It looks trashy.
  • Ambercaskey
    Options
    Erm...I just spent 10 minutes of my time reading this plus some comments from others. Now I feel the need to reply and say first of all, sooo glad you are safe from crazy guy.

Second, venting is good, but spend your time more in a more productive way...life is too short to write such a story plus replying to others. This is MFP, go for a run or lift some weights!
  • randoswife
    randoswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You dont touch the trigger unless youre prepared to shoit.
    You dont prepare to shoot a person if you dont mean to kill them.
    You dont take a life unless your own depends on it. Period. No gray area.

Rules I grew up with!

Good for you! The sheer audacity of some people boggle the mind!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Girl, bring those cans to WalMart.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Yeah, a realist.

Do you realize you are calling a woman a "victim" and a "statistic" because she doesn't think it is reasonable to use deadly force against a man who is, while an *kitten*, literally engaged in nothing more that trespass onto a yard and stealing garbage??? Do you regularly blame the victims for a perps actions, citing her "mentality"? I hope to god you are not a cop IRL and you just pretend to be one (or want people to think you are) on interwebs.
    How do you know he wasn't casing the property? What if he saw an opportunity with a woman home alone? In order to prevent an attack there may be times you have to employ a pre-emptive strike. She already showed the guy the gun, and he came back.

On a lighter note, let me be the first to apologize for name calling.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

I would have just told him to get off my property. Then again, I don't rely on empty cans for my income.
This discussion has been closed.