PSA: Any diet that prohibits certain foods is a bad diet.

Options

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Whew, sorry I'm late guys, traffic was a b!tch. In!

Where we at? Milk-death, McDonaldeath?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.

My "bad" high fat/low carb diet cured diabetes, gum disease, acid reflux, chronic indigestion/bloating, sleep apnea, insomnia, severe depression, binge eating disorder, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, chronic pain, chronic fatigue, chronic joint pain, chronic illness/infections, skin rashes, acne... am I forgetting any?.... Oh, yeah, it is also curing obesity without hunger, cravings, binging and without the need to severely restrict calories or participate in hours and hours of chronic cardio.

Strangely, I will be sticking with my "bad" diet forever because I do not ever want to be sick and fat again. But I have no problem with everyone telling me how "bad" it is. :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This thread is in response to me advising to add calories to a diet by eating things like nuts and avocados over pizza.

Huh? No, it's not. This thread has nothing to do with you or anything you said.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I guess I should start restricting everything, that way I'll get resentful and angry about my "diet" then maybe I can actually see some results!

Anger burns calories, don't ya know
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    But mah allergies! :(
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that the majority of folks who are jumping in to agree with you are significantly far from reaching their goals.

just. saying.

You might want to double check that. How's it going with *your* goals?

just saying

His goal he reached? :huh:
    I would think he's doing something right by his ticker...

If people want to eat pop tarts or mcd's everyday and count calories for life that's their choice if people want to eat nothing but fish and do a rain dance around their meals before eating it, or anywhere in between the two why does it really matter?

Do what works for you and don't worry about other people's choices and maybe then the forum would be filled with less childish topics and people could actually find helpful topics easier.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Is this a license to eat junk food? Food filled with preservatives and fillers? Food that causes cancer in lab rats?

[b[]Success is not in dieting, it's in lifestyle changes.[/b]
    :drinker: Most sensible response yet!!
    Right on! I've tried both theories and have to say that eating what you want doesn't work. I feel full of energy and lose weight quicker when I eat healthy.
    :flowerforyou: It does make a difference in what I eat and my energy level, I agree.

This thread is in response to me advising to add calories to a diet by eating things like nuts and avocados over pizza.

how dare you...
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I think the true answer here is that you shouldn't use the "D" word. Because if you're on a diet, that implies that this isn't how you always plan to eat - which implies eventual failure.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Huh? No, it's not. This thread has nothing to do with you or anything you said.

OOOO an avocado pesto pizza sprinkled with pine nuts! See best of both worlds I should get a Nobel Peace prize or something for uniting such divisive parties. Hail to me...next stop Washington DC.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Orthorexia. It's the swine flu of 2013.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My diet prohibits hemlock... I think you should go have some hemlock tea for me.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    who are you to say what is and isn't a bad diet?

moreover, why should people eat foods that make them ill?

seems to me there are plenty of reasons for people not to eat certain foods.

Well if a certain food makes someone ill, why would they eat it?

lol Mr. Jonnythan is right. For most people that aren't training to have the worlds smallest waist, worlds biggest muscles, bodybuilder of the universe, exercise health-nut God or whatever, diets shouldn't be restrictive, in my opinion. They should point to what is better for you and encourage healthy choices, but also allow you to eat what you want, in moderation. I don't eat caviar, kale, strawberries, cottage cheese, and many other things because they make me feel "ill". My "diet" doesn't tell me not to eat those, I tell myself. My diet is eating what I want in moderation. Stuff that is really bad for me I eat very rarely, but I still indulge. Bacon, steak, pizza, fast food, big family get together dinners, Oxtails, more delicious yummy stuff, etc. Just doesn't get consumed everyday! :)

P.S. you should be reported for the way you harass folks when they disagree with you. Just agree to disagree or don't comment. Be friendly and not so critical of everything and everyone. Also, REALLY rude that you jump on folks (like me and others) who are working hard to get to their goals but have a way to go until we get there. I don't want to drop all 40lbs in a day because I live off tree bark and kelp and workout for 6 hours a day. People whose jobs are not exercise/fitness related and sit at a desk everyday with little to no opportunity to workout until they get home and have dinner with their family can't all be how you are with fitness and health. Just let folks live. Please?

Thanks and have a great day :)
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

People go overboard sometimes with touchy subjects. Everyone wants to be right. I agree with you, but had to throw in my 2 cents since I pre-planned eating pizza tonight lol. It's a planned indulgence only becuase I will be working out a ton today and will enjoy it! :) But on any normal given day I'm with ya: nuts and avocados over pizza all the way!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that the majority of folks who are jumping in to agree with you are significantly far from reaching their goals.

just. saying.

just saying

If people want to eat pop tarts or mcd's everyday and count calories for life that's their choice if people want to eat nothing but fish and do a rain dance around their meals before eating it, or anywhere in between the two why does it really matter?

Do what works for you and don't worry about other people's choices and maybe then the forum would be filled with less childish topics and people could actually find helpful topics easier.

Dude - if he's at his goal, why is his ticker at the far *left* instead of far *right*

My ONLY point, was that a lot of the people agreeing with the OP were actually NOT significantly far from reaching their goals. A good portion of them are just as close to their goal as he is, if not significantly closer, or already at goal.

Yay for reading comprehension.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I'm vegetarian, 3rd generation. For me, meat is bad.

My son has a ton of allergies. His diet is strict for a reason. And because of that strict diet, we do give him chicken or turkey every so often.

My other son is sensitive to gluten and peas. So I avoid those while nursing. That's not bad.

After a lot of research, I and my children's doctors agree that GMOs are probably one of the major causes of my sons' allergies. So avoiding GMOs is not bad.

Really, it should be about lifestyle. I'm not saying anyone should avoid certain things or not avoid them, but figure out what works for you and do it, and please don't make it sound as though people who chose to avoid certain foods have made a bad choice.

Of course, trying to force their diet on you, now *that's* bad!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That is all.

Yup, like veganism.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

just. saying.

just saying

Dude - if he's at his goal, why is his ticker at the far *left* instead of far *right*

My ONLY point, was that a lot of the people agreeing with the OP were actually NOT significantly far from reaching their goals. A good portion of them are just as close to their goal as he is, if not significantly closer, or already at goal.

Yay for reading comprehension.

He's trying to gain weight, and MFP's tickers don't really work that way.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Agree - or any diet that asks you to completey eliminate an actual food group (i.e grains, fruits, dairy, etc) that provides vital vitamins and other nutrients to your body.

Common sense says if there is a medical reason (i.e. allergy or a physician-diagnosed health issue) for not consuming a particular food, don't consume it.

I'm positive that doesn't fall in line with the spirit of CoachReddy's message.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

nobody in this thread has orthorexia. please stop throwing that term around. it's no different than liberally calling anyone eating 1200 cal an anorexic.
This discussion has been closed.