Love your fat *kitten*? Stop running on the treadmill!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Nice try, but I enjoy my varied-incline runs on a treadmill, reading a good book and listening to music in my nice, sunny gym.
    [/quote]

Okay, I am typically quite tactful, Please forvgive me.

If you are running on your treadmill and reading a book at the same time, you are doing it wrong. End of story.
    I can't think straight when I am running, the only thing I am reading are street signs and the sweat pouring in my eyes. I hope your running on the treadmill and reading isn't in effort to lose weight or strength train for heath..but more to say you're doing it? I mean, good for you, it's better than nothing, but please do yourself a favor and sweat!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Some of the outdoor runners make it sound like running on a treadmill is a character flaw. It's a choice and, for some people, it's the only viable choice. The choice to run on a treadmill doesn't mean someone is weak, afraid or self-loathing. Just like the choice to run outdoors doesn't mean you're tough, brave or self-confident.

This thread has finally helped me understand that my running on the treadmill is a sign of gross moral turpitude. If you are gonna run on the treadmill, why run at all? Just sit your *kitten* back on the couch. Right? Did I miss some logic along the way?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Some of the outdoor runners make it sound like running on a treadmill is a character flaw. It's a choice and, for some people, it's the only viable choice. The choice to run on a treadmill doesn't mean someone is weak, afraid or self-loathing. Just like the choice to run outdoors doesn't mean you're tough, brave or self-confident.

This thread has finally helped me understand that my running on the treadmill is a sign of gross moral turpitude. If you are gonna run on the treadmill, why run at all? Just sit your *kitten* back on the couch. Right? Did I miss some logic along the way?

People who don't run outside are worthless rats who don't deserve to be fit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nice try, but I enjoy my varied-incline runs on a treadmill, reading a good book and listening to music in my nice, sunny gym.

If you are running on your treadmill and reading a book at the same time, you are doing it wrong. End of story.
    I can't think straight when I am running, the only thing I am reading are street signs and the sweat pouring in my eyes. I hope your running on the treadmill and reading isn't in effort to lose weight or strength train for heath..but more to say you're doing it? I mean, good for you, it's better than nothing, but please do yourself a favor and sweat!

Translation: I like to blah blah blah and you are doing something else so you are wrong.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I brought the torches and pitchforks. Is it time to gather up all the treadmills and burn them yet?
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Wow how nice it must be to live in a place where it doesn't rain or snow! Or drop below freezing. You must also be childless. And clueless.

Respectfully....you can run outside with rain and snow with the proper clothing. I run outside in the rain all the time, and some of my best runs have been in bad weather. So please don't use weather as an excuse for running inside. Same goes to Brunette....you can drive to a good area (such as a park or something) and you can carry OC or something, and you can take the kids with you in running strollers. So all those -excuses- are just that...excuses.

However....I do understand that for some the harder impact of the ground can cause knee problems where the treadmill doesn't, and some people just generally like a treadmill.

I somehow think that my 9 year old would be difficult to fit into our stroller. LOL Treadmills obviously have their place. Running outside is better for a whole host of reasons, but treadmills aren't the devil.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I brought the torches and pitchforks. Is it time to gather up all the treadmills and burn them yet?

And what about the ellipticals?

My old gym had a Nordi-track :smile:
  • tab0423
    tab0423 Posts: 32
    Options
    Enough! I thought that MFP was here to encourage not to bash other's choices. I prefer my treadmill because 1) the only time I can work out is at 10:00 pm, 2) I live where we still have snow 3) I have asthma and allergies and can control the environment in my home. 4) I also do other exercises to augment the treadmill.

Let's try to be respectful and encourage each other!
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options

You do understand that kids aren't little soldiers that so what they're suppose to, right? They run all over. They stop when the see a bottle cap. They whine. They have to pee. So rofl @ bringing the kids along for a run.

Preach. It.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

I neither agree nor disagree... I did however see a neighbor running on a treadmill yesterday with her garage door open for air. It was sunny out, but not hot, and we live RIGHT next to a regional trail that is VERY flat, VERY smooth and PERFECT for running. I know she has a thousand kids (at least that's what it looks like when you drive past) but I think that they are all in school. I can't think of any reason not to run outside in those circumstances...

that said, I'm made of sugar, and will melt in the rain... My nose runs even walking outside so my shirt running sleeves get gross... I almost always have to pee once I get going (or worse)... I can't carry my water (ok, I don't have any apparatus for carrying my water... i'm that chubby pink sweaty girl that looks like she is about to vomit, so I don't like an audience. lol
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options
    This thread has gotten to the point where the only thing to do now is

new_funny_gif_03.gif
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

As I already stated, I get my heart rate up to about 168 when I run. I'm working hard. I guess I'm just not a sweaty person, because I've never in my life had sweat pouring in my eyes, nor have I been unable to read, unless I'm on the verge of blacking out. Not everyone's body reacts the same. I work very hard and I get a great workout. I just happen to be able to set my iPad on the treadmill ledge and tap the screen to flip a page now and then too. It seriously requires zero extra effort and gives me something to think about besides how tired I am. I don't get why this is so hard to believe. But I've always been a reader. As a kid, my mother once caught me riding my bike home from school and reading a book.

As for the rest of you people who seem to think that you're somehow superior because you think it's okay to run when the wind will freeze your skin to frostbite in under two minutes (a frequent weather guy warning in my area)....well, good for you, I guess. I'm not tough enough to want my nose to turn black. And I guess I'm not tough enough to want to run past the drug dealers and angry drunks who frequent the inner-city area where i live. I must be a terrible person, huh? I put my personal security ahead of my workouts, so I must really suck and hate myself! Except...it kind of sounds like maybe I run indoors because I care about myself enough to not put myself in danger when another option exists.

Get over yourselves. Run where you want to- I'm certainly not judging you for it. I'll stay in my warm, safe apartment, though and save my outdoor running for seasonable temperatures and daylight hours.

What a bunch of judgemental people. Ya'll want to tie me to a stake and get the fire started? Or maybe just make me a scarlet 'T' to stitch to my bodice?
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So go to a park or other non-concrete based terrain in your vicinity.....

All I hear about treadmills is excuses. If people want to make excuses and get all butt-hurt about their precious treadmills, fine.

Real running outside engages more of the kinetic chain due to variable surface textures, turns, uneven surfaces, etc.

It also provides a mental toughness to run in driving rain, howling wind, snow, high summer heat that a treadmill in a climate controlled building cannot provide.

Unless you have a treadmill in your building, then you have to go somewhere to use it. This exposes you to the outside world and also provides the chance that someone will murder/mug/rape/run you over/sell you crack/etc.... at some point you have to deal with the world outside. Don't cower in fear behind your sofa!

See the whole thing with me and some of the posts in this thread is this: It's not about how fat someones *kitten* is. That's bf% and sensible diet and exercise will deal with that in short order. It's about mental attitude. You're afraid you'll fall over and break something. There's a serial killer lurking around the next corner. There's a whole gang of snakeheads ready to sell your organs. You might get cold and wet. Someone will have to mind your child for 20-30 minutes. Or, you might have to take little Jonny or Alice with you (Jesus, they may even get some fresh air!). And so on and so on, ad infinitum...... if you want to make your fears make you choose an inferior exercise, that's your lookout. But understand that fear drives you and perhaps you can get out from under it and that's my point.

Now, I've gotta get back to curling in the squat rack.......

To be fair, people are being just as defensive about not using a treadmill as the people who use them. Everyone is high strung about this issue it seems lol. I guess what I don't understand is why does it have to be all or nothing? Why can't I run outside when it's nice and inside when it's not? I get my mental toughness from doing other things out in the elements where I don't have a choice to go inside. So when I'm out running for fun and for me, why should I force myself to do it in crappy weather? I agree that people shouldn't put their lives on hold when it drizzles, but on the flip side, why risk your safety when there's 3 feet of snow and ice everywhere?

Is a treadmill inferior? Probably. But does that mean you should never use one? Of course not. If the choice is between an inferior workout or none at all, why would you choose none?
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Does MFP have awards for Threads 'O' The Year? If so, I nominate this one.
  • im_analog
    Options
    here ya go:

ladder.gif

In case any treadmill hater needs some help getting down from their incredibly high horse
  • jonnythan
    Options
    This may be more appropriate:

7cd9e5060124ff9e917c2a1a01240777.jpg
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You do understand that kids aren't little soldiers that so what they're suppose to, right? They run all over. They stop when the see a bottle cap. They whine. They have to pee. So rofl @ bringing the kids along for a run.

Preach. It.

I continue to be amused by these reactions. Pushing your kids to get a little exercise = treating them like little soldiers. Yes, my 3 yo picks up shells on the beach during runs. She also stops and helps build sand castles, says hi to pretty much everyone who passes, and jumps through the waves. Then, when she's finished doing that for 2 miles or so down the beach, I pick her up, put her in my kiddo backpack and proceed. I wouldn't trade those moments for the world. My 7 yo is better at it and truly runs with me. She's pretty upset with me right now because I'm only hiking due to a knee injury and not taking her running. Instilling kids with the joy of exercise and the joy of life is an honor, and I'm having a hell of a lot of fun as a dad. I'm terribly sorry if people actually think raising kids is that difficult.

As for the whole treadmill debate, I really don't care if anyone uses a treadmill, I just don't see why you would give up the opportunity to get outside and enjoy it. I've run for several years and even while living in one of the largest and densely populated cities on the planet, I enjoyed it. It was a great way to explore neighborhoods and sites. Even running in cold weather is pleasant if you dress properly.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    here ya go:

ladder.gif

In case any treadmill hater needs some help getting down from their incredibly high horse

Strong first post.....