For everyone NOT losing or Stalling Out! READ THIS NOW!

Options

Replies

• Slpst46
    Slpst46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    LOVED THIS! thank you!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything she said. There are 2 things I have noticed about some members on mfp doing things that I feel like hinders weight loss.

First is WAY over estimating calories burned. I will see things on my status updates like "burned 500 calories doing light/moderate cleaning for 60min." or like burned "1,000 doing 1hr of (insert exercise that would never burn that many calories in an hour.) I'm no expert but alot of the calories burned updates I see, don't seem right. I have also noticed forum posts about mfp over estimating calories burned. And then if people are eating those calories back that they didn't actually burn, obviously their not going to lose weight.

The second thing is only counting calories. One member I noticed it said lost 0.5lbs since last way in, when someone said good job they said eh it's ok.. welcome to slow weight loss caused by (insert lame excuse.) And then I looked at the persons food diary and they had been going over their fat every single day and I mean way over not just a little.

I'm not trying to be a downer or judge other members, I'm just giving my opinion on things I have noticed. Like I said I'M NOT AN EXPERT.

Fat does not make you fat, which is why I think OP fell short of really hitting it home with her post. Suggesting low fat items, etc. is silly. People should learn how to live with normal foods in their diet. Granted, I do add processed foods to my diet (like Amy's Organics, etc.), but they are far better than low fat replacements, which often have increased sugars or sodium.

Want ice cream? Measure (WEIGH IT) out ONE serving of a full fat, like Talenti or Haagen Daz. Eat it slowly. Enjoy it. There is no reason you can't work something like this into your macros.

Fiber one bars? Lean Cuisines? No thanks.

I think the main problem with people stuck at the same weights is that they are overestimating calories burned and underestimating calories consumed.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    OP: You really think you have it all figured out... while you are promoting highly refined grains (bread, Special K bars, etc) and eliminating fat? Are you aware that fat is a necessary macro and most of us are getting too little HEALTHY fats and far too much sugar and refined grains? Are you aware that people have a tendency to be incessantly hungry on a low fat diet and store carbs as fat on a high carb diet?

I agree with some of what you said but stop the LOW FAT insanity already. Please.

Sometimes the manufactorers replace the fat with sugar also so check at the food label before you make your purchase. You may be trading fat for sugar.

True. I watch my sugar though. I am taking a nutrition class right now so we have to figure out where all of our macros and nutrients are coming from. Most of it is from fruit and granola bars, so I find that sufficient. Also, this is not all I eat. I eat normal food, I would just like to make a point that these are just a few things I PERSONALLY did to not go insane. lol. I love salads and I am very good NOW at portion control due to temptations in restaurant lab 3 times a week (They make us a very high cal meal everyday that is our only choice for dinner, hence why my diary looks like I eat a buffet every wed-friday night) lol but I workout and portion control to deal with it :) It's a nicer tester for me and only 3 weeks left!
  • LoveDreamSmile
    Options
    Yeah..I read this whole post and you, OP do come off as very rude and bossy. Sorry but who do you think you are to be telling people what to do. I see it irritates you and all when others post about not losing and all that crap but maybe you should just not pay attention to it. Honestly I would rather read a worrisome post about a plateau than what I just read here. Just goes to show how many people in this community are flat out rude and high and mighty. People worry and post things..if that's their thing then so be it. I admit I posted a couple threads with my concerns. .not plateau related by the way..and maybe it might have annoyed some but oh f***ing well. That is all I am going to say. Have a nice day.
  • regnidde
    regnidde Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • lovemitch125
    Options
    I agree with everything she said. There are 2 things I have noticed about some members on mfp doing things that I feel like hinders weight loss.

First is WAY over estimating calories burned. I will see things on my status updates like "burned 500 calories doing light/moderate cleaning for 60min." or like burned "1,000 doing 1hr of (insert exercise that would never burn that many calories in an hour.) I'm no expert but alot of the calories burned updates I see, don't seem right. I have also noticed forum posts about mfp over estimating calories burned. And then if people are eating those calories back that they didn't actually burn, obviously their not going to lose weight.

The second thing is only counting calories. One member I noticed it said lost 0.5lbs since last way in, when someone said good job they said eh it's ok.. welcome to slow weight loss caused by (insert lame excuse.) And then I looked at the persons food diary and they had been going over their fat every single day and I mean way over not just a little.

I'm not trying to be a downer or judge other members, I'm just giving my opinion on things I have noticed. Like I said I'M NOT AN EXPERT.

Fat does not make you fat, which is why I think OP fell short of really hitting it home with her post. Suggesting low fat items, etc. is silly. People should learn how to live with normal foods in their diet. Granted, I do add processed foods to my diet (like Amy's Organics, etc.), but they are far better than low fat replacements, which often have increased sugars or sodium.

Want ice cream? Measure (WEIGH IT) out ONE serving of a full fat, like Talenti or Haagen Daz. Eat it slowly. Enjoy it. There is no reason you can't work something like this into your macros.

Fiber one bars? Lean Cuisines? No thanks.

I think the main problem with people stuck at the same weights is that they are overestimating calories burned and underestimating calories consumed.

Agreed. Read my post above, again this is NOT all I eat. I eat all normal food lol
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, this came at a perfect time for my hubby who recently started back on MFP and put on a pound this past week after working hard and eating right. I'm excited to share it with him tonight and give a little perspective! :)
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Awesome post!!! alot of us need to hear this as a reminder!! All good points to remember, thanks for posting!!:wink:
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe if the OP used proper grammar and spelling I'd consider her advice more credible. Smh.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You have some great points. Thanks for sharing!
  • lovemitch125
    Options
    Yeah..I read this whole post and you, OP do come off as very rude and bossy. Sorry but who do you think you are to be telling people what to do. I see it irritates you and all when others post about not losing and all that crap but maybe you should just not pay attention to it. Honestly I would rather read a worrisome post about a plateau than what I just read here. Just goes to show how many people in this community are flat out rude and high and mighty. People worry and post things..if that's their thing then so be it. I admit I posted a couple threads with my concerns. .not plateau related by the way..and maybe it might have annoyed some but oh f***ing well. That is all I am going to say. Have a nice day.

Never said I was "high and mighty" was actually just telling people what I did to get over my plateaus, but I apologize if you found this rude but the last two sentences do say "We are all here to help you. Good luck with your journeys"
    I never said I was any expert. I'm saying a few easy tricks I used that worked. I eat normally, go out to eat whenever I want and exercise almost daily. I am normal person like you and everyone else who is loving it. I just want everyone to love this journey because my whole point was IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE HARD! It can be quite easy if you let it be :)
  • regnidde
    regnidde Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I didn't think OP was rude at all. I think this post was very helpful and motivating.
  • lovemitch125
    Options
    Maybe if the OP used proper grammar and spelling I'd consider her advice more credible. Smh.

Haha, yeah... was in a hurry writing it... my fault on that one. :laugh:
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    well said.....thanks.
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! I do believe for many, it is just simply easier to post a question rather than read thru endless post. I have been on MFP since March of this year and yes the same questions have been asked many times. All questions have been asked, so if no one has new questions/concerns then the forum is no loner needed. There are many incouraging people on here who don't mind answerng the same question and for those who are not interested or are "tired" of it, simply need to move on to a forum that suits them! J/S!
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! Oddly enough this is seriously the most I have learned so far I am terrible at trying to figure out the diet side of the diet and exercise. I was one of the those people netting to low and being super tired. So I thought I had to workout more. Then I just got so tired I slept like 12 hours one night! So Thank you!
  • jennyrenee05
    Options
    You better say that!!!!! Love it!!!!
  • himymfanatic
    Options
    I agree with everything you just stated. If someone really wants to lose weight they will find a way. And using all those tips you gave should do something. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • LollerskateDJ
    LollerskateDJ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes! Preach it! It isn't hard at all. I hate exercising, I do it because I have to do it!
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :yawn: