Is it RUDE to offer your "fat clothes" to a friend?

Options

Replies

• Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Super rude.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Bring your friend over to help you "sort your donation clothes". If she is interested then she will ask to take the ones she likes. It is a non-confrontational way to let her choose if she wants them.

I'll try that again since I'm too much of a dork to get it right the first time. I looooooove this idea! GREAT way to let her pick without it looking like you were trying to give them to her! :)

**edited for typos...can't type today.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Bring your friend over to help you "sort your donation clothes". If she is interested then she will ask to take the ones she likes. It is a non-confrontational way to let her choose if she wants them.

^^This is an excellent idea if you're concerned about offending anyone

I've recently cleared out my clothes that were too big

The friends I gave them to had a great time going thru and trying them on

What they didn't want, they donated

Just depends on your friends
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I like this answer... ALSO, while going through the clothes, you can always tell her that if there is something she wants, feel free. (That way, she won't feel guilty about asking for something that you're donating.)
  • SmashWhite85
    SmashWhite85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I gave some of mine to my best friend when I lost weight a few years ago. She didn't seem upset at all.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

HOw did the dude on the thread hve the best idea? lol ;)

What can I say? I am effin' brilliant!!

True story. :happy:

ETA: I asked my SIL if she wanted any of my old clothes and she seemed pretty offended. And she is the type of person who claims she can't be offended. So you might want to use Whierd's idea.
  • GraceB2God
    GraceB2God Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think that's an excellent idea but personally where i've rollercoasted with my weight, I would appreciate help with
    clothes either way and would not be embarrassed either way. Good Luck!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Also, while going through them she may ask you how you lost weight. Pitch MFP and say you learned a lot about weight loss and exercise here. Don't try to shove a ton of info her way, just leave the door open for questions.
  • Elvira79
    Elvira79 Posts: 4
    Options
    Get all your girly mates together and throw a clothes swap party that way you get to show what you're getting rid of and if anybody wants them they take it and just donate what is left at the end of the night to a charity store
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why not organise a Swishing Party where you all bring along as many items as you like and go home with whatever you fancy. Good music, bottle of wine, maybe a few party games or facials/nails if that's your thing, lots of trying on outfits and messing about with accessories and no pressure to take anything you don't want. Could be that she has some items that are too small for her that you might like in return!

Sorry - was typing at the same time as Elvira!
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Is it RUDE to offer your "fat clothes" to a friend?

Yes.

I would never do this unless my friend expressed wanting them first.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My fat clothes are a Size 4P, would that be rude too? :noway: I am a size 0-2 Petite now. I have all these size 4s lying around and they fall right off me. Should I just donate them?
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I ask my friends for their "fat clothes" because they used to be the size that I am now.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It depends on the friend. I and a friend are losing weight together and I am a little further along that she is, and I have passed on some of my clothes that no longer fit me. As a single mom with two teenage dependents, she can't afford to buy new clothes, so she really appreciates the offer. I've also taken her on a little shopping spree with my bonus money to get a couple of nice new outfits apiece, which was fun to do as she has better fashion sense than I do anyway, so we both won.

It also depends on how you word it. I had somebody offer me clothes once who said "These are miles too big for me, but they should fit you okay." This was after I had lost 30 pounds and it made me feel pretty bad.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you do give them to a friend, I'd do it in private. I overheard a conversation between a couple of people I know. One asked the other if she wanted this cute dress in a size 14. The other woman said that was nice, but she was a size 10. Then the first woman argued with her about it. All in front of everyone.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of going through clothes for donation and letting her take what she wants.

Even though you mean no harm, it does hurt. I won't say offensive since you're friends, but I've been there. My mom lost a lot of weight 2 years ago and gave me all of her too big clothes.

I knew she meant well, and I did appreciate it since all the clothes were cute, (seriously, my mom has great taste... I still let her shop for me and I live across the country), but it still stung.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    How did the dude on the thread hve the best idea? lol ;)

I was thinking the same thing, lol.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been on the receiving end of "gifted" fat clothes and I hated it. A friend brought her clothes to my house and while I accepted them graciously, they quickly ended up at the Goodwill.

I think most women are going to see through being asked to help sort the fat clothes. If you don't normally need help with basic life tasks, it will seem a little odd.
  • mellypeters09
    mellypeters09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Me being at the end of this where I am receiving the clothes, I did not take it offensively. She lost a lot of weight and I know I am bigger than her. It is nice to have some benefits from being bigger as bad as that sounds. lol.

Though I could still see someone taking it offensively. I just don't think that everyone would react that badly. I wouldnt even mention that it is because they dont fit anymore. I would just say you dont really want them or dont wear them. Good luck!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I LOVE getting people's "fat clothes"... I'm currently a size 22 and I sometimes I'm even given "fat clothes" that are a few sizes too small for me just yet. Sometimes, I get them in a size that is too big for me. Too big gets passed along to someone else.. too small gets saved until I shrink into it... I'm not offended at all and flattered that they are thinking of me!

If we were good friends, I would be offended if you DIDN'T offer me all those super cute clothes FIRST!

Just don't make a big deal of it... A simple "Hey I've got a bunch cute of clothes I'm taking to the Goodwill, Do you want to go through them first?" will suffice.