623lbs, Trying to Get Going Again

Options

Replies

• MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your advice--its very useful. Some of the comments might be well-intentioned and ill-placed, but I appreciate the support I'm getting here none-the-less.

Yes, Friday I had a "regular" day again because of the stress of the bomber...but I've logged two days in a row with only 4,000 calories. I've cut out soda and added a lot of water: I'm happy with the progress I'm making.

Good job on cutting down on the soda!! That's a great move!! :happy:
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Way to go Dania for starting your journey! I KNOW you can do it! Just keep making small changes, and they will start to add up! One day at a time, one meal at a time, etc. Drink lots of water and try just making your portion sizes a little smaller. Fill your plate with a veggie you love first...Move just a little more. It works! Good luck, and please keep us posted. :D You're more than welcome to add me if you need more support :)
  • babydoll789
    Options
    You can do it hun! Good luck :-) ♥
  • turryandsally
    turryandsally Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you for beginning this new lifestyle! It DOES get easier with time. For now, just go one day at a time. You can do this! Add me as a friend if you'd like. Best wishes!!
  • sherrin567
    Options
    You can do this! Small goals, one day at a time. And every single success counts. I began by celebrating the stretch in my jeans. I started at 3% spandex, then was able to buy a pair that only had 2% spandex, then 1%. It may sound crazy, but since the size wasn't changing, this was a victory I could be happy about. It really helped me feel that I was gaining back some control. Good luck to you!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to one of the things you said, that the idea of restricting yourself of things you love is making this a difficult decision for you. I felt the same way for a long time- I told myself that I worked really hard in a stressful career and deserved to eat the food that made me feel good, whether it was my daily breakfast of a sugary coffee drink and donut, or yet another take-out meal for dinner.

The thing is, I was partly right- I do work hard, and I do deserve things that make me feel good. But when I started eating better and moving my butt, I realized that those were the things that really made me feel good, and being healthy is what I really deserved.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes the things we love don't love us back, and you deserve better. You deserve to wake up in the morning feeling unstoppable, and you deserve to be filled up with nutrients, you deserve the occasional sugary treat or fun meal out, and you deserve all the compliments and kudos you are going to get when you succeed.

I know we don't know each other, but I really want this for you, and I want you to know that YOU DESERVE IT.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to reply again because I think of you often and I am SOOOOO ROUTING for you!
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!

Also, there are some people who disagree with how/what I eat, but I'm taking this one step at a time. (A girl doesn't get to 626lbs overnight after all...)
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey There! Just wanted to stop back in and let ya know that we're all still rooting for ya!! :smile:

Hope things are going well -one day at a time!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani,

There are a lot of great suggestions here! I would definitely say to start slow! Just make sure that you START! Small changes will reap GREAT reward. Try walking and cutting out a soda or juice each day. Green tea is delicious and helps you drink more water! Trade your favorite candy or cookie for fruit once a day. Once you see that this works, I believe it will motivate you to make additional small changes. I wish you the best of luck!! :)
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good luck Dani! I am rooting for you!!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!

Also, there are some people who disagree with how/what I eat, but I'm taking this one step at a time. (A girl doesn't get to 626lbs overnight after all...)

I have to admit what you eat shocks me. What I ate 7 years ago would shock me today. What I ate 2 years ago even. I could and probably am still capable of eating lots of food. I wouldn't say for you to change everything though and shock your system, cuz even little changes have consequences. I started eating oatmeal on a daily basis, at first well never mind it had consequences. But, my body adjusted and now I am eating more fiber over all and usually don't have a problem with it. Fiber and protein really are necessities for satiety. There is no reason to go on a diet just to feel hungry all day long every day. I do have periods of the day I am hungry but I am not hungry at least 20 out of 24 hours and usually I am hungry a lot less than 4 hours out of the day.

That being said. I think you can add things to our diet rather than subtract them. Like maybe a pint of strawberries or some other fruit. There might be consequences, but no change is without them. Go slowly to make adjustments easier. I have lost some weight making small changes rather slowly, but those were because of health reasons, losing weight was a side effect. Now I am here and much more aware of my calorie and exercise situation.

Also ditto on the people who say you are beautiful.
  • imaginec
    imaginec Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please try to think of this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Diets do not work and they certainly don't work in the long run. Start out trying to do one good thing a day for yourself and work your way up. You have my prayers. :smile:
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I just came across your post and had to drop in to encourage you! :) You seem like you want to make some change in your life for an happier and healthier you, congratulations! You will have plenty of support here!

I had a look at your diary and girl.....you need to Improve the quality of what you are eating! A whole lot bunch of crap food there....Don't get me wrong, I am not judging you nor trying to be mean, i am/was that girl...Menu of a day, pizza, poutine, cake , sausage, fries, stuffed myself until i was having an hard time breathing.... And i'd repeat that the day after and so on! It didnt get me in an happy place..

. I think that you should try to have 2 main goals everyday, one would be to fit in a nice meal loaded with veggies and lean protein . You need to learn to eat better and find healthy stuff that youll love to eat. I don't think that cutting a cookie here and there will do it... Insert good for you food and meals instead progressively. Look online for recipes, try some new stuff, I' m sure you can find stuff that you'll love. I've stopped all thw bad food for about 9 weeks now and i try a new recipe everyday! Eating healthy doesnt mean flavorless... I even tried a cauliflower crust pizza! Yummy! Find healthier alternative to what you like! Eating better will make you feel souch more energized and will keep you going!

Second try to get moving as much as you can. Walk, clean the house, dance, whatever you:re comfortable with. Plus when you keep busy , you think less about eating even when youre not even hungry....

I really do wish you to suceed in this journey and keep posting!! You can add me as a friend if you want too :) I'll ne glad to support you and help you if you need!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have not read all responses to your original post, so please forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else has already said.

One of the problems that occurs in compulsive eaters who are morbidly or super obese is that food becomes the only pleasure. People who are extremely heavy become so self-conscious and activity becomes so difficult that it is hard to participate in meaningful or pleasureable activities. Staying home and watching TV while eating a lot of food becomes our comfort and our only source of pleasure.

I know that for myself, I grew up in a dysfunctional home without much affection or positive interaction, so I do not seek or receive pleasure or comfort from other people naturally. I learned at an early age to associate food with love, comfort and pleasure. I suffered from social anxiety and was very self-conscious about participating in any public activity.

My advice for you is to find something that you love to do -- not even an exercise or activity, but just something that gives you pleasure, comfort or happiness besides TV or food. (It's too easy to eat while watching TV. Find something that requires concentration and use of your hands.) Draw, paint, play an instrument, knit, make beaded jewelry. Just find something that makes you happy, so that you can start filling your life with actions instead of eating. Find something that makes you feel special and accomplished and proud, and then make time to do it every day.

Once you start filling your time with something other than food, food will become less important to you.

Best wishes.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have not read all responses to your original post, so please forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else has already said.

One of the problems that occurs in compulsive eaters who are morbidly or super obese is that food becomes the only pleasure. People who are extremely heavy become so self-conscious and activity becomes so difficult that it is hard to participate in meaningful or pleasureable activities. Staying home and watching TV while eating a lot of food becomes our comfort and our only source of pleasure.

I know that for myself, I grew up in a dysfunctional home without much affection or positive interaction, so I do not seek or receive pleasure or comfort from other people naturally. I learned at an early age to associate food with love, comfort and pleasure. I suffered from social anxiety and was very self-conscious about participating in any public activity.

My advice for you is to find something that you love to do -- not even an exercise or activity, but just something that gives you pleasure, comfort or happiness besides TV or food. (It's too easy to eat while watching TV. Find something that requires concentration and use of your hands.) Draw, paint, play an instrument, knit, make beaded jewelry. Just find something that makes you happy, so that you can start filling your life with actions instead of eating. Find something that makes you feel special and accomplished and proud, and then make time to do it every day.

Once you start filling your time with something other than food, food will become less important to you.

Best wishes.

I agree with this. It is next to impossible to focus on the negative (depriving yourself of foods that you love) for any length of time. BUT is is very possible and rewarding to focus on the positives of better health, a wider range of activity, improving relationships, and feeling that you are are living the life you want. :smile:

When all is said and done at the end of our days, we likely will not be saying, "Gee I wish I had eaten at least 100 more pizzas and 5 dozen more cookies." We need to focus on what is important in life and food just isn't very important in the grander scheme of things.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    First of all...you are amazing for taking the steps to get healthy. It is difficult. Start slow, take it in little chunks. If you start out thinking about how much you want to lose total it seems too big to achieve. A lot of the work we have to do is absolutely mental. Speaking only for myself, I know I did not eat my way to a high of 335 pounds just because I like the taste of chips. Food becomes a source of comfort...even when you know the choices you are making are killing you. It just all becomes a vicious cycle. Don't try to make too many drastic cuts at once. Slow and steady wins the race here. You can do this! Please feel free to add me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • brit_lah
    brit_lah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never post but I felt compelled to reply.

I noticed lately that the large bulk of your calories come from Pizza Hut. I understand you're just trying to make small changes at this time. I'm guessing at this point it may be hard for you to do what I want to suggest, which is only eat half that pizza. But what if you bought lower calorie options of frozen pizzas and stocked up on a few of those instead? Even frozen junk food is better than fast food. You could stock up on the lower calorie frozen food versions of the fast food or restaurant ones that you love. It's not the best of choices but it's an idea and a start just to help get those calories down.

And it may not be what you want to hear, but personally since you're at a very dangerous weight and your life could be threatened by this, I think it would be the best for you for seek a doctor's help and a therapist's to start making big changes *now,* to where you're not eating whole pizzas a day at all.

Either way, good luck and you can do it, don't give up!
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It will have been said already, but I think you'd benefit from seeing a professional to help you learn about food groups and nutrition.

Maybe initially finding an alternative to pizza? it's obviously a favourite food, but if you could find recipes to make yourself you can much better control the nutrition.
    Also avoiding skipping meals too.

I admire you for your honesty in your logging, and your determination to change.

Something I have read in the thread is to focus on what you can have rather than what you can't. Denial of anything automatically makes you crave it whatever your weight and size might be.

Good luck on your journey.
  • juliefuhrman90
    Options
    Girl never give up I weighed 303 when I first started you can do it