Size 12 = Fat?

Options

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't think it means you're considerably overweight. For most body types, at that level, you're pretty safe from chronic disease. However, you might be more comfortable at a lower weight and just feel better overall.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" tall and weigh 128 now...i am small framed. I wear a size US 6 or 8 and like to wear clothes fitted, not tight. I dont think any size is "fat" ... I think the model/athelete gabriel reese wears a size 12---she is over 6 ft tall and perfect!

When i wore size 14 jeans (before losing 46 pounds in 2012)--- i was fat...my clothes were not.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Size 12 for me is in the obese range. Because I am short, according to the BMI tables I needed to lose 67 pounds from that size to even get to the top of the healthy range. I have no idea what size that will end up being because I have not been that weight ever as an adult.

Edited due to math :ohwell:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i really think it depends on your body. personally, if i wore a 12 i would be huge for my frame. the biggest i ever wore was a 4/5.
    but some people wear a 12 and you would think they wore a smaller size. clothing sizes are bad guages too i think, bc they all fit differently. but if you look great and feel great, then a size 12 is awesome! congrats on your loss
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are we talking about us or uk size 12's?
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janieardine
    Options
    My next goal is a size 12!!! I am looking forward to getting there!!! I can't stop there because I am only 5' tall, but I can't weight (wait) to say hello to the number 12!! :love: :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For me personally. I started in a size 22W (and honestly they ere ready to bust at the seams) I am just now able to wear some size 12s. This is huge for me as I have NEVER in my adult life been this small. I honestly never thought I would be here so for that I am grateful. I am much happier with my body, but still feel overweight (especially when I'm in one of my yoga classes).
    Now that I am here I feel I can go further and look better.

So it is an important stop along the way, but hopefully not the end.
  • rschreiber
    rschreiber Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should be about the number. If you feel happy and healthy at a size 12, then that's great! You need to love yourself at the size where you feel good!
  • juliana813
    juliana813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person's body. I'm 5'10, 225 pounds, an apple shape, and a size 12 in jeans. I do not look like i wear size 12 jeans, nor do i look like i am 225 pounds. It just depends on how people carry their weight and what type of body they have! But to answer your question, i think size 12 is the largest store size jeans and the smallest plus size store jeans, so it could go either way!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think so much plays into sizes. I can be from a size 4 to a size 7/8 depending on the brand. So does size 12 automatically = fat no I do not believe so.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. For me, a size 12 isn't good because I'm 5' tall. I'm wearing a 14 petite now and weigh 198. For someone much taller, it can be a good size.

Edit: Just cut the tags out of your clothes. Then no one will know what size you are!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Size 12 IS my goal. I'm about 5 ft. 5. Smaller than that and I'll have to ditch most of my wardrobe; NO THANKS.
  • klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd say a size 12 is big.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I see it as a good number! I was at a comfortable size/weight then. I do see what you mean though--it's like the borderline, sometimes deciding line, between regular & plus. It definitely depends on height, too. I'm an average height, so for my body type I'd end up being an average weight, too.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I want to get to a size 12 because I have 3 pair of size 13 JR jeans I have never been able to wear.

But a size 12 today is like the size 16 of yesterday....its all relative.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person's body. I'm 5'10, 225 pounds, an apple shape, and a size 12 in jeans. I do not look like i wear size 12 jeans, nor do i look like i am 225 pounds. It just depends on how people carry their weight and what type of body they have! But to answer your question, i think size 12 is the largest store size jeans and the smallest plus size store jeans, so it could go either way!

This! I'm a couple of inches shorter but my body is the same way. People don't believe I'm over 200 pounds at that size. Double the comment about size 12 in stores. It's that borderline.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Interesting how perception changes once the weight is lost. I went from a size 16/18 to a size 0/2. When I was losing weight, I was so ecstatic to be a in size 12. I stayed there for about 5 minutes, and quickly got into a 10.

If I were a size 12 today, I would feel huge.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and I'm currently a 12 sliding in to some 10's. Coming from a sz 22 I'm thrilled although I am looking forward to a size 10, I might be able to wear some 8's when I reach my goal, I have 25 lbs but I think that'll be a little on the thin side for me.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That's a stupid, shallow question. Why on earth would you want to know? Don't you know whether you're carrying too much fat or not without referring to an arbitrary number that someone else put on something?

It all depends on your height, frame size, and level of musculature. Obviously a five foot tall woman with a narrow frame and a six foot tall woman with a wide frame are going to need different sizes even if they're both at ideal body fat levels.

Notice how no men ask each other what size they wear and whether it means they're fat.