For everyone NOT losing or Stalling Out! READ THIS NOW!

Options

Replies

• bakerseve17
    Options
    Like.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    amen
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Second, do not just do cardio, like my idiot self, I decided that cardio would be the way to lose. It was BUT I lost a lot of muscle mass in the process. Also, as well as weight lifting and ab workouts with weights build muscle mass, and speed up your metabolism and heart rate, it also helps you burns calories for the next 48 hours as opposed to cardio which stops burning calories as soon as you stop.

While the advice to do resistance and cardio is good advice. It's not true that you stop burning calories as soon as you stop doing cardio. You may stop burning soon after, but you may continue to burn for several hours. It just depends on you and what type of cardio you are doing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    Second, do not just do cardio, like my idiot self, I decided that cardio would be the way to lose. It was BUT I lost a lot of muscle mass in the process. Also, as well as weight lifting and ab workouts with weights build muscle mass, and speed up your metabolism and heart rate, it also helps you burns calories for the next 48 hours as opposed to cardio which stops burning calories as soon as you stop.

While the advice to do resistance and cardio is good advice. It's not true that you stop burning calories as soon as you stop doing cardio. You may stop burning soon after, but you may continue to burn for several hours. It just depends on you and what type of cardio you are doing.
    Clinically it's called statistically insignificant. Even HIIT doesn't equate to much either when post workout movement/activity has been adjusted downwards, basically people move less (referred to as NEAT) after a tough workout and compensates for any after burn, but of course this doesn't mean everyone.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Clinically it's called statistically insignificant. Even HIIT doesn't equate to much either when post workout movement/activity has been adjusted downwards, basically people move less (referred to as NEAT) after a tough workout and compensates for any after burn, but of course this doesn't mean everyone.

Statistically insignificant in what way? And how does it compare to the amount of calories burned by having more muscle?

Does HIIT actually qualify as cardio? I always thought cardio = aerobic. When doing HIIT I doubt you'd be in the aerobic zone much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ironic that this is ONE MORE post about something that has already been said 100 times before in other posts, especially since this poster says "READ ABOUT THIS BEFORE YOU MAKE ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THIS!"

Very true. But most of the people I was directed at, do not want advice, they just want to complain. I just thought I should get as much advice I could out there in one post instead of posting on every single person's complaining thread. But I understand. lol.

...Isn't that what this post is? A complaint because of all of the complainers?

I believe this is the complaint, about the other complaint, about this complaint to end all complaints ...understand?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Statistically insignificant in what way? And how does it compare to the amount of calories burned by having more muscle?

Does HIIT actually qualify as cardio? I always thought cardio = aerobic. When doing HIIT I doubt you'd be in the aerobic zone much.
    The after burn from aerobic and anaerobic cardio, which HIIT is, doesn't equate to much value calorie burn wise after adjusting for neat, which means None Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, basically daily movement other than deliberate exercise.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The after burn from aerobic and anaerobic cardio, which HIIT is, doesn't equate to much value calorie burn wise after adjusting for neat, which means None Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, basically daily movement other than deliberate exercise.

Hmm, I'm remembering a study done at a NC university that showed an average afterburn of 14 hours for cardio (exercise bike, I believe) among the participants, which were described as fit young men (or something similar). 14 hours seems significant, even if the burn was only slightly more than at rest w/o cardio.

But it's been a while since I read that study. Maybe I'll look it up to re-read later.
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this today...
  • sphomphak
    sphomphak Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    true dat :laugh:
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • neanderthin
    Options

Hmm, I'm remembering a study done at a NC university that showed an average afterburn of 14 hours for cardio (exercise bike, I believe) among the participants, which were described as fit young men (or something similar). 14 hours seems significant, even if the burn was only slightly more than at rest w/o cardio.

But it's been a while since I read that study. Maybe I'll look it up to re-read later.
    All studies show after burn and why we're talking about it, but anytime exercise is performed, especially at higher intensity people tend to not move as much after as compared to a day they didn't exercise....basically any calories from the after burn are compensated by less normal activity, In other words as far as weight loss is concerned the after burn is clinically insignificant. Don't really know any other way of explaining it, sorry.
  • bcattoes
    Options

All studies show after burn and why we're talking about it, but anytime exercise is performed, especially at higher intensity people tend to not move as much after as compared to a day they didn't exercise....basically any calories from the after burn are compensated by less normal activity, In other words as far as weight loss is concerned the after burn is clinically insignificant. Don't really know any other way of explaining it, sorry.

So even though we are burning more at rest, we are at rest more, so not burning more overall? That's interesting. But surely that would not apply only to cardio.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! :love:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    So even though we are burning more at rest, we are at rest more, so not burning more overall? That's interesting. But surely that would not apply only to cardio.
    Yes that's right, you said it better than I did....lol. The more intense the more we need to rest, or do it subconsciously. That applies to weight resistance as well.
  • pattyfitzroy
    Options
    great post, thank you!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I just decided.... U ARE AWESOME!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this...

But I know someone out there is thinking "What if I'm the only little special snowflake out there and I need to do more?"...my answer to this will always be, they aren't that special. These suggestions work for EVERYONE. The problem is that most people are their own worse enemy and they make it harder than it really is.
  • purplelizzard
    purplelizzard Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    you are amazing!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Thanks so much for this...

But I know someone out there is thinking "What if I'm the only little special snowflake out there and I need to do more?"...my answer to this will always be, they aren't that special. These suggestions work for EVERYONE. The problem is that most people are their own worse enemy and they make it harder than it really is.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. While the special snowflakes are not the norm, they do exist. There are a number of medical conditions that change the rules for weight loss.