I have a huge pet peeve with unleashed animals

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Free range dog is much better for you

Free range is a bit of a misnomer.

All too often free range dogs are still fed artificial foods. What you really want is dog that is fed on a diet of clean cats. This has been proven to increase the omega 3 content. The issue, of course, comes in how the cats are fed. Canned cat food or free range house mice fed on cheese made from almond milk or bovine milk? We all know that mice weren't made to suckle off cows so I see it as an easy choice.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    There is a leash law in my town but I am amazed how many dogs I encounter running around loose.

I am afraid of dogs but my scariest encounter was when I was walking by the river and came too close to a swan nest.

Don't mess with a Mama swan!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't ever plan on tying up my dog on my property! My dog lives a great life tying her up would be awful.

I have a saying regarding dogs like yours: DOGGONE
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Why is this thread still alive? Let it die already!

By making this comment I've furthered it's life span...oh no!!! :sad:
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Same here. I had a really nasty doberman chase me a half a block and thankfully it's owner got his dumbass off his cell phone and called him back. People need to get slapped with some serious fines who allow their dogs to roam freely in their ungated front yards.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Nope, I can admit it when I do something stupid...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I also have a real issue with people bringing their dogs/animals into shopping centers and stores with them (with the exception of PetSmart or similar stores, of course). I love animals and grew up with pets, but I sadly developed allergies in my 20's. Now dogs and cats can send me into fits of sneezing and wheezing or even get me covered in hives. When did it become OK to take your dog grocery shopping?

So a disabled person with a helper dog shouldn't be allowed to go shopping?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I keep my dog off leash, I don't care if you don't like it.

^^^ you're an *kitten*.

and i agree. this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. i've been chased by a number of dogs and it pisses the **** out of me.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I live out in the woods and I will walk my dog off-leash because 90 percent of the time no one is walking around where I live. I carry his leash with me and on the rare chance that there is someone else who happens to be walking in that area the exact same time as me (which believe me it is very rare) I call him back and hook him up I play with him in my yard off leash as well. Why? Because it's my yard and it's really hard to play fetch when I have to throw the ball and run with him while holding the leash and again, there really shouldn't be people wandering around on our street. He also has a big area in our back yard that's fenced off so he doesn't have to be tied up.

I do agree though that people need to be responsible with their pets. Just because your dog is an absolute doll and a big baby to your family does not mean he's going to be the same way towards a stranger. My dog absolutely loves people but he's never felt threatened by someone and I wouldn't want to see what he would do if he felt that way. He also looks pretty vicious when he's barking and he's lightening fast when he runs. Sure your dog might want to just play or join me on my run but when he's coming at me full on, barking and growling you bet I'm going to be scared because I don't know them.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I made a poopie. All by myself!!!

I :heart: you
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Me too. i have little dogs, which i keep on leashes. I also have a pet peeve with folks who have 20 foot long leashes who don't/can't control their dogs. i've been chased by said dogs, and my little dogs have been attacked. most of the owners are just, like, "too bad." Really? i have money and lawyers. i can have your dog put to sleep for that behavior. i just don't because you're the one who needs to be euthanized. Your dog is just untrained and uncontrolled...I'm not as nice as i look...

And for the record, i live/jog in a city. Most cities have leash laws. And whether you know it or not, if your dog is not under control and bites someone, they can sue. And you can lose a lot...So, enough of the rationalizations. If your dog is off a leash, s/he is not under control--at least according to most municipal codes...

Oh, and i do carry pepper spray...
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I got chased by a goose once. That *kitten* is terrifying!
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My husband has a 16 year old Rottie/Shepherd named Pink Floyd who is rarely on a leash. This is a very well behaved dog however who has been well trained. He doesn't bark at humans or dogs and would never dream of chasing anyone. He works as a therapy dog and, as such, needs to be very obedient and docile. My husband and Floyd are known for not using leashes and even animal control doesn't say anything about it.

Really, it boils down to the sort of dog or animal it is. Animals that are not 100% under control ought to always be on a controllable leash.
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I agree. I had a dog come running out after me a few weeks ago, and it was almost hit by a car as it ran out across the street to chase me. People need to think about the safety of their own animals as well as the people that their animals are chasing.

I have a dog myself, and he is only off leash on my personal property, and in wooded areas near my property, where is is HIGHLY unlikely that we will run into another person or dog while walking. When we do see another person, I put my dog on his leash. When we are in public areas, my dog is ALWAYS on his leash even though he is very well trained and will stay next to me without it....you never know who, people or animals, are not friendly to other dogs.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I got chased by a goose once. That *kitten* is terrifying!

You are so right! Me too! Scared the Heck out of me!!!
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    And I agree that as long as you are not on the person property, sidewalk and streets should be 100% pet clear for someone and the animal should be trained enough to stay in the yard or be on a leash or invisable fence.

^^ this. My sister has 4 dogs and her yard doesn't have a fence, so when she lets them out to go to the bathroom, she just lets them run. Her dogs are trained well enough not to chase anyone that comes by and if they DO decide to go check it out, they listen well enough to be called back. Not all dogs are like that. If I have to let her dogs out, I check to see if there's anyone around, or any other dogs out. If there are, I leash them and take them out, one or two at a time. If a runner is polite enough not to run in your yard, then you should be polite enough to either train your dogs or leash them. I know many people who are deathly afraid of dogs and it's only common courtesy. I'm not afraid of them, but I have a toddler and when a dog runs at your kid, your first thought isn't usually "oh, I'm sure he's nice." You go on the defensive. I don't condone pepper spraying someone's dog, but it's best for the runner's safety, as well as the dog's if both can keep their distance.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes! A friend got bitten while jogging, by an unleashed dog that was out of its owners control - the dog drew blood. She was too upset to get names and just wanted to get away so the guy got away with it - disgusting.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just pointing at this:

http://animallaw.info/articles/State Tables/tbusdogleash.htm

Might want to check the leash requirements for your states.
  • Amie_Girl
    Amie_Girl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It is illegal. Call your local county office and complain. Make sure you have the dogs home address and a good description of it. The owners can face huge fines, even bigger if their dogs are not registered.

As a responsible and considerate owner of two huge dogs, I also get extremely PO'd when I see negligent owners or ignorant owners. It gives all owners a bad name and I hate it.

My peeve is with people who let their dogs bark in the backyard all day while they are at work.

If a dog is running for you, never turn and run away from it. Stop and face it confidently and it will usually go away (unless it is rabid).

Some of the problem is that most people have no clue how to interact with dogs.
  • Theohariti
    Theohariti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Animals chasing you sounds like motivation to run faster lol. Or you could just get a treadmill.