What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• AdrianeParese
    Options
    I found this recipe was going to try looks interesting: Sweet potato chick peas burgers. GO to Pinterest type in sweet potatoes so many recipes to choose from!! I love Sweet potatoes and did you know it is the healthest veggie to eat and you should eat 1 a day!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bumb
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    the other night i took to sweet potatoes cut then in to wedges mixed some shallots 1 tbsp honey 1/4 cup freshly squeezed oranges coconut oil added a little nutmeg poured over SP in a baking dish and baked until done it was so yummy with my orange chicken recipe we had to YUMMMMMYYYYY
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Grilled! Cut them into big steak fries, toss in olive oil with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. Then place on a low heat grill, turning periodically until they are tender. Can also do the same thing but on a baking sheet in the oven.
    Absolute heaven... if you ask me!
    (edit for spelling error)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Baked with salt and pepper, mashed with a little yogurt mixed in, cut up and tossed with a little olive oil and baked for sweet potato fries, cut up and mixed with other root vegetables (carrots, onions, beets, parsnips) and tossed with a little olive oil and roasted.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I know it's wierd...but I LOVE barbeque sauce on my baked sweet potatoes. Not often because of sugar content, but so good!

Mmm... I make sweet potato fries (olive oil, salt, and a teeny bit of cinnamon) and dip them in bbq sauce too.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Toss with olive oil, s&p, and roast on a sheet pan. They're sweet on their own so they don't need much.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...yum yum!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I ate one the other day, it was baked and I had leftover BBQ sauce which I mashed it up with. I wouldn't eat it like that again, but at least I didn't leave anything on my plate. XD
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato is a thing I eat very frequently. I add it in soups. I boil some cubes, and then mash it with a little bit of cinnamon and almond milk for mashed sweet potatoes. I steam them, or add them to stir-frys. I'll bake one, then hollow it out, add in some steamed veggies, and stir it all together then back again(like a double baked potato without all the calories). I roast them with Brocolli, squash and Cauliflower for a meal(or small portion for a side dish) You can get pretty creative with those sweet potatoes!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Crockpot African Peanut Soup

1 onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 - 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
    6 chicken thighs with skin removed
    1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
    3 cups water
    1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky - whichever you like)

All all ingredients except peanut butter to crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour and turn down heat to low for 2-3 hours. (optional - take out chicken thighs, remove bones and shred chicken to return to crock pot). Add peanut butter. Cook on low for 1 hour. 8 servings, 350 calories per serving, 17 carbs, 22 sugar (but sadly 531 mg sodium)

yum
  • krisam06
    krisam06 Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    leave them in the shop
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potato homefries, in a little onion with garlic and chili powder, so good. once in a while I will slice my sweet potatoes with a little bacon and sprinkled with cinnamon in a 350/375 oven for half an hour or so...yummy but that's a treat one.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You can mix a little bit of olive oil with some seasoning and toss cut up pieces of sweet potato and then lay them on a baking sheet, and bake them for 45 minutes.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bumping cause I LOVE sweet potatoes, but need some new ideas for the family!!
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Baked with garlic and feta, everyone has heard of doing them sweet, but savory is AWESOME!

This idea just made me do jump kicks. Interesting combo.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    bump - great new ideas :smile:
  • rubberbiscuit
    rubberbiscuit Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm going to try a recipe this week that uses steamed potatoes, 1 chipotle pepper, and salt. I've never had sweet potatoes in any form so we'll see how this tastes. The recipe shows it only has 152 calories per serving.

I make a sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving that has chipotle in it, it also has a bit of bacon in it (I use turkey bacon), it's a really tasty combination. That's the only time of year that I make it. I really hate the casseroles that have all the sugar and marshmallows. I eat them plain the rest of the year. They're tasty enough on their own that they don't really need anything besides a bit of salt. Occasionally I have them oven-fried and sprinkled with some cinnamon or cayenne, depending on my mood.