Options

Replies

• squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is how the conversation went...

"Wow! How much weight have you lost?"
    "107 lbs"
    "That's amazing! You know if you REALLY want to lose weight, you should try this pill my aunt is on. It burns the fat off the food she eats."
    "......"
    "It looks pretty amazing, want me to get a few for you to try?"
    "...I think I'm ok..."
    "Ok! Your loss!"

I wonder how much weight I need to lose before I "REALLY" lose weight.

This made my day LOL Hilarious
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Everyone was healthy back then cause they had to burn more calories catching and collecting the next meal to be able to feed everyone in their tribe!! They walked/ran moved everywhere. Not just diet!! That paleo thing drives me nuts. Yes, eat whole foods, its good for your body....but no, its not cause 'thats what our ancestors ate and they were healthy' its cause they exercised, all the time, just to get places!
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this advice was not given to me, but to my sister:

"If you want to lose weight, you need to smoke pot." Uhm.. Yeah, go ahead and pick up a disgusting and unhealthy habit so you'll be less fat, that makes sense. The person telling her to do this went from "plump but healthy" to "thin but haggish" in a year's time with her "pot diet".

no expert but doesn't that crap give you the munchies (or is that just TV stereo type lol)

That's what I thought!

I wish it did that! I used to smoke pot (GASP!) but gave it up partly because of my weight loss journey - I didn't want to be good, and then smoke and think "OMG IM SO HUNGRY!" and eat a whole medium pizza to myself (it has happened...) If it helped with weight loss, EVERYONE would be high. The person who lost weight was one in a million.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Everyone was healthy back then cause they had to burn more calories catching and collecting the next meal to be able to feed everyone in their tribe!! They walked/ran moved everywhere. Not just diet!! That paleo thing drives me nuts. Yes, eat whole foods, its good for your body....but no, its not cause 'thats what our ancestors ate and they were healthy' its cause they exercised, all the time, just to get places!

They also weren't necessarily healthy... Or happy!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    Worst thing I heard: don't eat carbs after breakfast.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options

They also weren't necessarily healthy... Or happy!
    True!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Try Actidiet, you're on a VLCD and your body is in ketosis but it's very healthy because it''s not shakes, its chewable food (soup anyone?) :noway:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My female boss has just begged me to help her after seeing my weight loss a few months back (we live in different cities). I'm certain I know what I'm doing but it's still scary! Worst diet advice is telling someone to eat 1200 calories or less.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    I don't know if it's the *worst*, but it certainly gave me a laugh - A friend of mine was asking about my weight loss. At that point, I had lost about 80 lbs. She asked how I was doing it, and I told her that I was basically controlling my portion sizes, eating better food, and exercising. She goes, "Oh, I've heard of that. My sister did it." Like I had just described the newest fad diet. Then she says, "You should do the diet [husband] is doing! He doesn't eat any carbs." I couldn't believe it.

If the no carb thing is working for him, awesome. But I've obviously found something that works for me (and is also working better for me than his diet is working for him). I don't need to be sold on some wacky diet craze, thanks.

Oh my God, this would get my blood pressure up!!!

To add, I have also done Atkins and it was TERRIBLE: It worked, but it is NOT sustainable. And I was sick all the time and I could not work out.
  • jesdemers
    jesdemers Posts: 8
    Options
    The Hcg diet. I just cant abelieve anyone has done this. I worked with a group of girls who did this a few years ago. While they all did lose weight, ALL of them regained within a year, and some have had hair loss, skin issues, etc.
    Whoever thinks eating only 500cals a day from a list of 20 or so foods and injecting themselves with pregnancy hormone is a good way to live, I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell ya!

RIGHT! My friend did this and ended up in a car accident because she was dizzy from a lack of calories. Luckily everyone was ok...
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    ''If you want something bad eat Ice cream because it goes through you as it is more like liquid'' that's the advice of my close friend who is a 'fitness nut' trying to justify eating ice cream and to this day he claims he is right. still looks the same, but he is definitely right lol
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Cotton balls soaked in orange juice.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You'll never get to 6% bodyfat eating below BMR. :laugh:

That one is probably true. You'll lose more LBM eating below your BMR - making it harder to get to a very low body fat percentage.

Mine was my sister in law telling me about the Cambridge diet - a VLCD of shakes :noway: She's never kept the weight off (she's not big to begin with mind).
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I got this today from a Personal Trainer at the gym. He was doing a taster session and went through a diet plan (not asked for)

Eat straight after getting up even if its a protein shake or protein smoothy (I can source the protein powder for you...ehem)

Then have a snack at 11 am - NO BREAD its empty calories and you should not eat it, transfer what I have for my lunch now to this snack of Ryvita and Philly extra light and apple

Lunch - 20grms :sad: of brown rice - chicken

2pm snack on a chicken breast

7 pm dinner - chicken NO CARBS

I did keep a straight face and I didn't tell he was wrong (apart from to point out that carbs are not the devil lol)
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Eat meat....:wink:

Just kidding...the worst would probably be the HCG diet...moronic!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    You'll never get to 6% bodyfat eating below BMR. :laugh:

That one is probably true. You'll lose more LBM eating below your BMR - making it harder to get to a very low body fat percentage.

Mine was my sister in law telling me about the Cambridge diet - a VLCD of shakes :noway: She's never kept the weight off (she's not big to begin with mind).

I know someone who has lost 60 lbs in 4 months with this Cambridge *kitten*. 500 or 800 calories a day in shakes... I cannot wait to see how she will hold up once she starts eating again. She has had days where she slipped and had some fries and immediately had a big gain... So this is going to be interesting.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Eat practically nothing (maybe 500 cals a day) and take these pills/shots. They'll cause a whole bunch of bathroom issues, but don't worry about it. It's normal.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke, but eat in the bathtub. Due to the fact you're floating in the water (how deep is their tub?!) the calories don't settle. Or something like that.

:laugh:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    FAT FLUSH RECIPE!!
    Make the Recipe in Water Bottles.......Place In the Refrigerator and Just Take 2 or 3 Out to take with you, if you know you won't be home for long periods of time!!!
    The longer it sits, the better it tastes. You can eat them as well but they are intended as flavoring and still work, so that is a personal choice. The Vitamin C turns fat into fuel, the tangerine increases your sensitivity to insulin, and the cucumber makes you feel full. Try it for 10 days and see what you think!

Three of my FB friends posted recipes to fatty, gooey stuff (e.g. blueberry crumble cheesecake, pizza casserole) then posted this. Heck, you wouldn't need a "fat flush recipe" if you didn't eat all that crap.
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Cut out all carbs and protein

THe most hilarious thing about this "advice is the whole conversation which went like this:

Them - "You've lost loads of weight recently haven't you?"
    Me - "yes thanks, about 4 stone now, still a bit more to go though"
    "I've started this diet my friend told me about, no carbs, no protein, and eat as much as you like"
    "What NO carbs or protein? What *DO* you eat?"
    "Well, like I had a massive ham salad for lunch today, which filled me up loads"
    "Um, you know salad is carbs and ham is protien right?"
    "Well she lost 2 stone last year on it, so it must work, you should try it"
    "Uh huh, I think 'll stick with eat less and move more as I lost 4 stone last year......."