HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just spent about an hour reading through these threads and you ladies are all lovely, inspirational and amazing! Congrats to you on your hard work and well deserved results.

I would love to start lifting - but I do not have a gym membership (and I am more likely to workout at home anyways). Right now, I am I trying to lower my BF % with home body weight routines and diet. One day, I want to get to the gym and start a program like stronglits or NROL for Woman...Anywho, congrats to you all!

I don't have access to a real gym either. Lucky my apartment has some weight machines. But for those without machines or access to free weights, try looking into Convict Training or You Are Your Own Gym. :)
  • Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very stupid question, as I know NOTHING about weight lifting, but what does 5x5 and 3x5 mean?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very stupid question, as I know NOTHING about weight lifting, but what does 5x5 and 3x5 mean?
    5 sets of 5 reps and 3 sets of 5 reps respectively.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Edit: I wasn't fast enough to answer the question first.

I'm just here to look at all the beautifully "bulky" women anyway.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Keeping this for later! You ladies are amazing!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I just spent about an hour reading through these threads and you ladies are all lovely, inspirational and amazing! Congrats to you on your hard work and well deserved results.

I would love to start lifting - but I do not have a gym membership (and I am more likely to workout at home anyways). Right now, I am I trying to lower my BF % with home body weight routines and diet. One day, I want to get to the gym and start a program like stronglits or NROL for Woman...Anywho, congrats to you all!

I don't have access to a real gym either. Lucky my apartment has some weight machines. But for those without machines or access to free weights, try looking into Convict Training or You Are Your Own Gym. :)

Just a small note, but the program is actually Convict Conditioning. :flowerforyou:

I have done You Are Your Own Gym and it is fantastic. It's adaptable for any fitness level and you need no special equipment.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a question:

Can I still achieve the same/similar results using the circute machines rather then free weights? After reading this thread (as well as the several others that have popped up over the past few days), I realized that the way I WANT to look cannot be achieved by the low weights I am doing now, so I upped everything today.
    Please feel free to critique my work out/weights and let me know what I can do differently or better:

I would say get off the machines if you can. They isolate muscles and only allow movement in a fixed pattern. It's great that you're lifting heavier. That will help. But one of the benefits of strength training is that you're recruiting many muscles at once. For example, when you squat you're working glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, hip adductors, quads, and your core. Therefore recruiting more muscle fibers, burning more calories, and stimulating hormones that are productive to weight loss and muscle building.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts Starting Strength.
    this

I have abnormally weak stability due to cns defects and don't have all of my cranial nervous, and my shoulders are a little deformed and don't go "back" properly so I can't do OHP and i find rows and deadlifts hard to get form right. I'm not very confident without a PT and see one twice a week> I use a couple of machines but do bench press/tricep dips/pushups, and front squats sometimes :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have a question:

Can I still achieve the same/similar results using the circute machines rather then free weights? After reading this thread (as well as the several others that have popped up over the past few days), I realized that the way I WANT to look cannot be achieved by the low weights I am doing now, so I upped everything today.
    Please feel free to critique my work out/weights and let me know what I can do differently or better:

I would say get off the machines if you can. They isolate muscles and only allow movement in a fixed pattern. It's great that you're lifting heavier. That will help. But one of the benefits of strength training is that you're recruiting many muscles at once. For example, when you squat you're working glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, hip adductors, quads, and your core. Therefore recruiting more muscle fibers, burning more calories, and stimulating hormones that are productive to weight loss and muscle building.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts Starting Strength.
    this

I have abnormally weak stability due to cns defects and don't have all of my cranial nervous, and my shoulders are a little deformed and don't go "back" properly so I can't do OHP and i find rows and deadlifts hard to get form right. I'm not very confident without a PT and see one twice a week> I use a couple of machines but do bench press/tricep dips/pushups, and front squats sometimes :)

You should be able to follow the basic concepts but adapt around your limitations.

For example, you could do lateral and front raises instead of OHP (assuming that you can do these) and do seated cable rows instead of the Pendlay or bent over rows. If you do this I would up the reps more to say 8 - 10.

Deadlifts hit the posterior chain and so something like glute bridges would be a decent swap based on your possible limitations. You may also want to throw in some back raises to get the lower back.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    This is why I need a gym membership you ladies have the best butts and abs!
  • fruitandgreens
    fruitandgreens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just want to say you ladies look AWESOME. What inspiration you are. I am so motivated and inspired. Thanks for sharing.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    I love threads like this. So inspiring!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

If I'm ever tempted to skip my lifting class in favour of cardio, or if I need another reason to up my weights and push myself, this thread is SO it.

I'm in. One day I'll post my lifting transformation!!
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    Bump! I just starting lifting and am loving all these pics!:bigsmile:
  • croooz
    croooz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ladies for posting your pics. I can't even begin to imagine how much courage that takes for you and I thank you so much. I've been trying to convince my wife to begin lifting weights but she had bought into the "bulky" myth. Thanks to your pics and stories she no longer believes it and she's excited to start StrongLifts. I'm thrilled because she's counting her calories and now wants and more importantly believes she'll get her body back through heavy lifting.

Thanks! Perhaps in a couple of months we'll post a couple's transformation pic.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    blurgghlflagjthpbt!!!! Thats what just came out of my mouth. All you ladies are INCREDIBLE! More fuel to add to my lifting fire! Patience is not a virtue I possess but I will NEVER GIVE UP! Thank you all for posting these, you have helped so much!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    blurgghlflagjthpbt!!!! Thats what just came out of my mouth. All you ladies are INCREDIBLE! More fuel to add to my lifting fire! Patience is not a virtue I possess but I will NEVER GIVE UP! Thank you all for posting these, you have helped so much!

^^ Same here! One day, cooks, we'll be as hawt as these ladies!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ladies for posting your pics. I can't even begin to imagine how much courage that takes for you and I thank you so much. I've been trying to convince my wife to begin lifting weights but she had bought into the "bulky" myth. Thanks to your pics and stories she no longer believes it and she's excited to start StrongLifts. I'm thrilled because she's counting her calories and now wants and more importantly believes she'll get her body back through heavy lifting.

Thanks! Perhaps in a couple of months we'll post a couple's transformation pic.

I LOVE this!
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can never EVER get pics to work. Drives me insane, and yes I do the whole lowercase IMG thing. Anyways, I've been lifting since January. Here are my progress pics if you want to check them out = ) OOOrrr someone can post them to this thread for me =D

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/shaypagan/media/Scarlet Noelle/fitnessjourney.jpg.html?sort=3&o=34

Picture on the left is Dec 2012, pic on right is Feb 2013

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/shaypagan/media/Scarlet Noelle/birthday_zpsf70e3ec0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=17

Taken two weeks ago

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/shaypagan/media/Scarlet Noelle/IMG_20130411_110143_zps47f5981e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I would love abs. Some women need to realize it's not their boob tissue they're losing it's the extra fat they're carrying on and around it. Some people have this horror story made up in their mind (particularly if they're not well endowed). But the more muscle you keep the more they perk and the more fat you lose the less they sag. I lost 8 band sizes and while my boobs have gotten smaller, so has the rest of me, proportionately.

So true! I'm only about 10 days into this and I'm already happy when I glance downward.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!