2013 May Cycling Challenge Biking Bicycling

Options

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Got on the bike for the first time in three years. My endurance is crap, I was breathing like a mad woman but I rode today! Just around the neighborhood, two laps. So, I'm just going to make a goal to get physically on my bike three times a week and not put a distance. I'm in Idaho, and May weather is very temperamental, so I'll have to play it by ear as to when I can get on my bike. I am so stinking excited. :):):)
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am in!!
    2nd: 11 miles
    4th: 13 miles

As far as the indoor vs outdoor cycling 'debate' i prefer out I personally dont count indoor miles but thats just me. On my indoor bike I can go 30mph on my outdoor tho I have only hit 13 mph (I just took up outdoor cycle). Anyone else notice this?

I didn't mean to start a debate. In fact, I thought/think the point of this thread is to include all cyclists, since we're all working the same muscles, use the same determination and getting the same benefits! =)

I actually have the opposite issue. On my stationary at the gym, I average 12-14mph while on the road, it is closer to 14-16 since it's flatter and I am able to coast at times.

Yeah, there should be no debate about this on this thread. No matter what we're riding or where we're riding, we're all going about it differently. I ride a 21-speed bike outdoors. The roads are fairly flat but I am NEVER coasting. I just have my bike set on one gear that gives me a suitable workout for me (roughly 8 mph) and my legs are always pumping. 21-speeds and I never change gears. Haha.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    5/1 - 4 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles - nearly bitten by little dog
    5/3 - 4 miles - on & off rain, wearing new helmet
    5/4 - 4 miles

Goal for month - 80 miles.
    MTD - 16

Welcome, new peeps!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    16 more yesterday, 44 so far this month, trying for at least 100
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    5/5 4.6 miles
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Well, it was too cold today. And that little doggie tried to bite me again. Sure gets the legs pumping! There are lots and lots of dogs on my route and this is the only one who gives me trouble.

5/1 - 4 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles - nearly bitten by little dog
    5/3 - 4 miles - on & off rain, wearing new helmet
    5/4 - 4 miles
    5/5 - 2 miles

Goal for month - 80 miles.
    MTD - 18
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    5/1: 20
    5/2: 21
    5/3: Planned Rest Day
    5/4: Did Something Else (7 mile mountain hike with 20 lbs of weights! Doing Grand Canyon in June.)
    5/5: 49
    90 to date. 410 more miles to reach my May goal.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me." Emo Philips
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I missed getting the May thread started. I've been so busy that the beginning of the month came and went without me noticing. I did start one this morning, but if people are posting here, then that is great!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/980385-may-cycling-challenge
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    "I am so sorry to be late getting this up. I have had a lot going on and I completely forgot that the month had changed.

I am especially excited for this month. I got my bike (my first bike) for Mother's Day last year. I ended up taking it back and getting a real road bike. This is my 12th biking thread; I started the cycling thread last June. I didn't realize at the time how it would grow. Thank you All for joining me.

This is a very casual thread for cyclers of all levels. A year ago, I was pushing a pedal for the first time in about 20 years. Along the way, we have picked up some real pros that are able to post some amazing rides. We have also been joined by people who, like me, were just getting back to it for the first time since childhood. We have commuters, moms pulling trailers, spin classers, weekend warriors, and some people, like myself, who are just pedaling whenever they can squish it in. Anyone who wants to pedal may join at any time. Post whatever you like; some post a cumulative mileage, others post individual rides. Whatever motivates you is welcome here!

Welcome, New Comers and Welcome back, Returners!!!!

Happy Trails! "

This was my opeing post for the May thread. May I join yours?

I haven't made it our yet this month. I did finish April with a couple of good rides. I'm hoping to find time. May is crazy with end of the school year and end of the dance year and end of swimming lessons. Through a sis-in-law getting married at the end and it is likely to be very busy. I need to fix the tires on my trailer since daytime rides are all that I'm going to have time for.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Come on in! This isn't my thread. It's yours. I just borrowed it until you showed up. :smile:
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Got into the gym today for that 6 miler I skipped yesterday!

May goal: ???
    May total: 12 miles

May 5----6 miles stationary (30 minutes)
    May 2----6 miles stationary (31 minutes)
  • dkhuff1
    dkhuff1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree about not wanting to be by a road and get hit by a car. Try mountain biking. It's really fun and there aren't cars! But there are lots of challenging obstacles to keep you interested.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'll aim for 250 this month..
    02/05 - 17 miles
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    May 6
    15 miles
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am strictly a mountain biker so my mileage won't be as great as others. I am shooting for 60 miles this month:

May 1st-9 miles
    May 5th-7 miles
  • 49prince
    49prince Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just joined myfitnesspal, am hoping to get on my bike soon.
  • FitChimi
    FitChimi Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm in! I haven't biked outside at all this year. I will do a combo of stationary bike and outside biking.

May Goal: 50 miles
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    5/3 8.6 miles
    5/5 7.6 miles

shooting for a 200 mile month
  • Berry2084
    Berry2084 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    first time on here going for 100 miles in May all outside

3rd 11 miles