How do you stop yourself from eating after you're full?

Options

Replies

• Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    hahaha. Its so funny that you posted this. I swear Friday I found myself at Wendy's. I got a hamburger and fries. When I got it home, I was so mad at myself for getting it instead of the grilled chicken sandwich. I had a good day all day. I literally, not joking, split the fries in half. I got some Resolve Carpet Cleaner and sprayed it all over the other half so I wouldn't eat them.

LMAO
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat an Altoid or other strong mint, chew gum or brush your teeth. Mint messes with other flavors.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Willpower?
    I don't really have this problem 'cause I've learned to stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore. I seldom eat until I'm full.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i eat really really slow usually my boyfriend with his portion being double the size of mine is done way before me. I mesure out my food while cooking so we rarely have leftovers or only a little bit that my boyfriend will finish off later. He can eat all day and not gain a pound.
    I stop as soon as i feel the slightest signs of being full because i had to start taking metformin and i noticed if i overeat i feel really sick. Everything thats left over gets pushed on boyfriends plate i do the same in restaurants we usually switch plates there so i get his empty finished one and he gets my leftovers
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    For me, far more than half the battle of eating too much is a mental one--rather than a physical one. Here's somethings that help me:

1.) I think about "gluttony" or "being a glutton" often. Being a glutton vs. being/acting/carrying myself like the gorgeous, ladylike, proper, and mentally, physically,spiritually in control of myself woman that I am and strive to be. When/as I think of being a glutton, I think of animals of all things---a piggish, dog-ish, hyena type of woman, looking and acting, eating like a sloppy, greedy and unattractive animal (a.k.a. fat & sloppy) vs. being "cat" like or like a beautiful gracious animal...like a cat, deer, sparrow or some other graceful and cool animal. Also being grateful for what food I have and eating until I'm satisfied--not stuffed and not still hungry...but satisfied. Helps me not to be a glutton (a.k.a. eating AFTER you are full). I find that calling actions like eating after you're full an ugly and piggish, wild animal like behavior name like "glutton-gluttony-piggish" helps me tremendously. The mental pic of a fat and ugly wild animal does wonders to help my self-control.

2.) When eating...concentrate and focus on eating. Not watching a movie, on the computer, nor doing anything else but focusing on my food and family conversation at the table. Also...after taking a nice bite from my food, putting my fork down and chewing my food thoroughly and not picking up my fork again until the previous bite is dissolved helps me tremendously not over-eat, because chewing my food until it turns to mush, gets me full faster, because I get tired of chewing. Again, not eating like an ugly wild wolfish animal but thinking and eating like a gorgeous proper woman or queen or something helps me tremendously.

3.) Drinking a bottle/glass of water before and afterwards helps fill me up too--especially when eating out.

4.) Looking at your gut and butt and remembering how unhealthy, unattractive being overweight/obese/morbidly obese truly is and how hard it is to get slim and trim will help too...it does me!

Interesting thread. What if you were raised to clean your plate and not to waste food?

That is my problem. I hate to throw it away and sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach.

You have some good tips in your post. Thanks for sharing.

One fabulous way to handle not wanting to "waste" food is to ask for a "doggy bag/take away plate" before or when your meal is set before you, then put half of your food in it and give it to a homeless person (or if there are no "homeless/needy people in your area) you can have it for lunch or dinner the next day. Giving away extra food to folks in need is a tremendous way to not waste food. I have done this many many, MANY times...I'll see a homeless person and say "hi" and tell them I just came from a terrific restaurant and put half of my meal up/in this take away box before I ate from it and ask them if they want it...I've NEVER had one person tell me no....they ALWAYS say YES, and thank you...ALWAYS!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. What if you were raised to clean your plate and not to waste food?

That is my problem. I hate to throw it away and sometimes my eyes are bigger then my stomach.

This is me! I hate to waste food. What I do: While ordering I ask for a take home container as well. As soon as my meal comes, I put half into the container to take home. That way, I can be satisfied AND not waste food! :)
  • MamaCass30
    MamaCass30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The only time I've had this problem since starting this journey of healthier eating is when I let myself have a cheat meal this past Friday.

It was Mexican which is my ultimate favorite and I went balls to the wall with the eating! I didn't get to the point where I felt like I was going to be sick I was so full like I used to, but close enough.

I ended up dumping salsa and queso cheese we had ordered for our chips at the beginning all over my plate and basically just ruined my entire plate so I literally COULDN'T eat any more.

Hopefully further down the road I'll have more self control when it comes to eating my favorites during my rare cheat meals.
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    I do a few things...

While eating out, I separate my food as soon as it comes to the table and put it in containers. That way, I eat what I can there and take home the rest.

When I eat each meal, I only eat enough that will get rid of hunger pain. I don't eat until I am stuffed because that would mean I have eaten too much.

I drink water before eating.

I don't drink anything while eating unless it is bread, then I have to because it gets caught in my esophagus. :S

I eat slowly.

I share my food with my kid, or with the dogs.

Sometimes I get up and do something else, like get my baby some juice or a wet paper towel, or even walk away from the table completely to check online, and then return a few minutes later.

Most of the time, I just make enough for what I am going to eat, and then just sit at the table for 5 minutes before putting everything up. That helps, too, especially with trying to get my kid to eat. He's a toddler right now, and being very picky about what goes in his mouth.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

I was raised the exact same way. To this day I experience terrible guilt at wasting food, and feel pressured to eat everything on my plate.

Ways to get around it are:

Eat off a salad plate, not a full-sized dinner "trough". Smaller plates means smaller servings, and you still get the satisfaction of eating everything on the plate. It's a lot more effective than you might think.

At home, only make enough for one serving per person. You can't eat what's not there.

If you order at a restaurant, especially one that has infamously huge servings, ask the server to bring out half on the plate, and the other half in a to-go box. That way you don't even see the other half, and it's a lot easier to resist eating it. Plus, you get a delicious pre-packaged meal for lunch the next day.

Drink a large, full glass of water before, in the middle of, and right after your meal. It forces you to slow down a little, and fills up your stomach, curbing the craving to keep eating even when you know you're full.

Also another weird thing I heard: The color blue is supposed to psychologically decrease appetite, and red and yellow (McDonald's anyone?) is supposed to increase it. So paint you kitchen blue and eat off blue plates! (I can't confirm the accuracy of these color claims, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try, would it?)
  • rachaelbmh
    rachaelbmh Posts: 54
    Options
    Slowing down and checking in with yourself after about 20 minutes. It usually only takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get the signal of being full - so once you hit that "full point' - putting the fork down and just being done is key. If at a restaurant - I like to check in with myself BEFORE the meal to gauge how hungry I am on a scale of 1 to 10. That helps me know how much I will need to/want to eat and once I hit that 10 (without being stuffed), I won't go overboard. I hope that's helpful!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Everyone has some good tips here, maybe not smoking after a meal if you are trying to get healthy. If you are at home make your plate as if you are going to have seconds, put about half of the size portions you would normally have. Then before you sit down put any extra in the fridge. After you have eaten your meal clean up the dishes from the table and go do something else. Putting the food away before the meal, cleaning the dishes up and doing something else all will keep your mind thinking the meal is over and you not on wanting more. My wife has a habit of leaving the food out while we eat and that just leads to me getting seconds or picking after the meal is done.

This is a GREAT idea...I do have an issue that when I'm putting food away....I put it away in my belly, lol. Excellent!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue from stopping myself from eating, usually if I feel full or satisfied I stop and drink water that being done it takes away to urge for me to eat.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    As my daddy says to me, "Use your willpower" That's all I got.
    Yep. That and I use the smaller "salad" plates instead of a full-sized plate at home. And I weigh everything dilligently so what is on my plate is what I get.

This weekend's cinnamon roll issue is another story altogether..... :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    If you're full but you just want to keep eating because it tastes so good....go brush your teeth. Mouthwash too.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    On a Jillian Michaels DVD, she says put salt all over it so it tastes disgusting.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    At home, I eat what's on my plate, because I don't put more on my plate than I intend to eat. Everything is weighed/measured/logged, so I don't have to stress about finishing it or not. If I go out to eat (rarely), I'm probably going to eat what I buy or bring it with me and eat it soon after. I figure, if I've budgeted for it, there's no harm in eating it. I don't have it in me to waste food.

If I had to eat out regularly for some reason, I would be very careful about what I ordered, and I would have to enlist a lot of willpower to doggy-bag leftovers and save them for another time.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone keep eating after they're full?!?!?! Is this a serious question? When I'm full, I can't fit any more food into my gaping maw! When I'm full, my bacon spills out of my mouth and crumbles onto the table. I literally could NOT eat after I'm full. It'd be Monty Python all over again.

"ah, but sir, eet ees wafer-thin!"

Please men.....don't bash me for saying this but it's typically not a problem for you. If I ate the way my husband did, I probably wouldn't have the need to watch my intake. Women are generally emotional eaters and tend to eat even when they are full. Would you like me to bring PMS into this? Since I have been on here I have learned a lot of self control but it's not an easy thing to do for everyone. Of course it's a serious question and meant to be a little fun. I mean really......having to smash the food with a napkin. Seems a little silly to me but sometimes it saves me from going over my macros as does all of things we do.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    All this is great but what does "full" feel like?

You think I'm being a smart *kitten*.

I know what being so full you are almost sick feels like.....but there is no in between. None, nothing, I've tried to eat as slow as I possibly can, waiting for a light bulb or something....nothing.

But to answer the originial question....I have gotten better about taking and packing my lunch for the next day measuring it out and THEN I eat what's left over, but I have to be careful how much I fix in the first place.

I cannot imagine how awful that must be. I absolutely hate that overfull feeling