Stop rolling your eyes at fat people in the gym!

Options

Replies

• MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it happen thankfully, because my gym probably only has about 100 members (love the small, hometown gyms!), and thankfully, I go at 2 or 3 in the morning when it's only me and my husband.

And really... if someone is that "fataphobic" about fat people at the gym, get your own equipment and stay at home. Sorry we can't be perfect like you. At least I'm making an effort to be healthy. I've already come to terms that I will never be a size 6, never look like Pamela Anderson on baywatch, but dammit, I'm making an effort.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I must go to the perfect gym because I just don't see this type of thing at all. What I do see is people working out, and occasionally walking up and introducing themselves to each other.

^^^^This!!! :smile:
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    u are ahead of everyone still on the couch

Love this!
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they weren't rolling their eyes because they were fat, but because of improper technique or hygiene or something totally different.

There are few people I roll my eyes at in the gym, and most of the time it's due to technique/form or lifting so much you can see a hernia waiting to happen.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love when the women with 10 pounds of make up on and hair that is perfectly done, while walking on the treadmill stare at you like your crazy for actually WORKING OUT... I didn't come for a fashion show I came to workout...
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I've had it occur personally or if I just figured it was going on behind my back, because I'm slow on the elliptical and tend to be on and off pretty fast when at the gym. Even 30 lbs lighter, that thing still kicks my *ss. As far as seeing it... well, at the gym I was at before I went home-gym, it was never. No one really seemed to care who was there for what, as long as it wasn't cramping their style.

And personally, I want to cheer when I see heavier people out for jogs or even walks before/after work... but I don't. Having been there, I don't want them to think I'm mocking them or making light of their effort. :ohwell:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    When I workout I'm in my own world I usually walk past people I even know.. they have to grab me or something to get my attention..
    it also helps that all the cardio machines have their each tv.. so usually everyone's eyes r glued to the tv.
    I do have to admit I sneak peeks at girls that have amazing bodies at the gym. :blushing: :flowerforyou:
    (It is a girl only gym)
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I use the gym in the morning and most people at that time are pensioners. They all know each other. I have never seen any one roll their eyes or make comments. I cheer on the big people who overcome themselves and go to the gym, even though many feel insecure about it.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options

There are few people I roll my eyes at in the gym, and most of the time it's due to technique/form or lifting so much you can see a hernia waiting to happen.
    I´m new to lifting. If you go to my gym (wich I would be pretty surprised if you did.Lol) I would love it if people corrected me instead of rolling their eyes.
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've just joined the gym, although I'm looking forward to it I'm also
    dreading it.

I'm a bigger girl and although I have lost alot of weight and I'm not as
    big as I once was I am dreading the thought of people looking at me
    and judging me or thinking that I shouldnt be there

Maybe and probably just over thinking it, but its still a bit of a worry for me

Vicky
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I avoid eye contact at the gym. The muscle-bound dudes always try to stare you down, as if you owe them fealty as you walk in. I'm afraid that if one of the testosterone fueled apes, did something foolish like push past me, I'd kick him in the neck.

So yeah, I just keep my head down and jam to my ipod....
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym last year, I was one of the bigger guys and no one wanted to have anything to do with me. Getting a simple hello or a smile was way too much.

Now a year later, I am one of the fittest and most dedicated guys there and a lot of people try to talk to me. It's annoying and I ignore all of it.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a gym, and I did not see this happen. The ones who got the eye roll were the ones in there trying to act like Johnny Bravo. I hope that if this is going at your gym, that you can find it in your heart to either direct this comment at the offending individual, or just ignore the childish behavior.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Luckily that has never happened at any gym I have been a part of. There was this one woman at one of the gyms I went too, she was alot bigger than me and she was there faithfully every day on that bike peddling away. She had dedication, probably more than those buff guys across the aisle in the weight section. I stopped going to that gym but I often wonder if she still goes every day.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    never happened in mine that I know of but I am too focused on what I am doing to look around
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Ive been to the gym in New York City, Virginia, and Florida and I have never uncovered this. Does this happen at gyms that have less equipment?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have ever seen people be mean to others in the gym. I guess I am in my own world.

^^^ This has been my experience.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this happen at my gym. I don't pay attention to anyone though, just me and my workout.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I love the 'have a little ways to go' crew at my gym. They're the ones that are happy, excited to be there, and eager to meet new people.

Now the guy that was using all THREE squat racks today for over 30 minutes while about 5 of us hovered around waiting, that guy got the eye roll.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    The only eye rolls I give are to people who complain and don't do a damn thing to change it. If you're fat ok but let's stop blaming it on everything under the sun if you haven't made an effort to lose weight.
    Otherwise high five that you wanna lose weight