Stop rolling your eyes at fat people in the gym!

Options

Replies

• Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Rolling eyes at fat people in the gym...

Who does that anyway???
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    At my gym its quite the opposite. If there are people lifting and grunting loudly, deliberately showing off or dropping weights an alarm goes off and they are asked to leave lol.

Let me guess? Planet Fitness....yeah....

Honestly, the grunting doesnt' bother me. Means they are lifting something heavy and really focusing on that and making sure they get that work out in. I even grunt sometimes on heavy sets, why? Because I am pushing and working with all my might to make sure I am getting stronger.
  • lizlovestrees
    lizlovestrees Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I just have to add after reading everyones comments... Why are you all arguing, calling names and having judgmental opinions? That's not the point of this site, this forum, or what ANY one of us is trying to do. There is no way in HELL you will ever be like 'that' person etc. You can only be the best YOU so why doesn't everyone stop arguing and let's all go workout and encourage each other! EVERYONE needs improvement, to be active, to eat healthy. This ranting at each other is ridiculous. Pretty sure everyone on here is an adult and came here for encouragement right? You're all the problem, being mean to each other. :/ ugh.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    A couple of bicep bros stood behind me and laughed at me once while I was squatting, saying things like "What is she even doing here? Mwahahaha" to each other. Thankfully it was only a couple months ago instead of at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I'm sure I would have cried for weeks.

After they were done loling at me they went and started doing tandem curls (two bros -- one unloaded barbell -- major WTFs) in a different squat rack while screaming dramatically. My husband and I stood behind them making of them while my husband worked on his 500 lb deadlifts. They turned red and ran away and I haven't seen them near the squat racks since.

Immature? YES. Satisfying? EXTREMELY.
  • lizlovestrees
    Options
    At my gym its quite the opposite. If there are people lifting and grunting loudly, deliberately showing off or dropping weights an alarm goes off and they are asked to leave lol.

Let me guess? Planet Fitness....yeah....

Honestly, the grunting doesnt' bother me. Means they are lifting something heavy and really focusing on that and making sure they get that work out in. I even grunt sometimes on heavy sets, why? Because I am pushing and working with all my might to make sure I am getting stronger.

lol yeah. It doesn't bother me either, I was just stating their policy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I just have to add after reading everyones comments... Why are you all arguing, calling names and having judgmental opinions? That's not the point of this site, this forum, or what ANY one of us is trying to do. There is no way in HELL you will ever be like 'that' person etc. You can only be the best YOU so why doesn't everyone stop arguing and let's all go workout and encourage each other! EVERYONE needs improvement, to be active, to eat healthy. This ranting at each other is ridiculous. Pretty sure everyone on here is an adult and came here for encouragement right? You're all the problem, being mean to each other. :/ ugh.

Welcome to MFP.

Enjoy your stay.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

I feel the same way....sad in here isn't it?

tinafeyeyeroll.gif
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I've never seen or given negative reactions towards fat people in the gym... Except for those with a dry shirt who hang around the check-in counter talking with employees.
    or the ones who sit on the machines while texting people... but aren't actually using the machines, but can't move when they clearly see you waiting to use them...

Otherwise none of that in my gym!
  • annahlotr
    annahlotr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The gym at my university is awful. Every time I went, someone commented on how I shouldn't be there. Every time I was in the locker room, someone said something. The most common was how the gym is only for healthy people, and I shouldn't come back.

I had a free membership there, and it is a very nice facility, but I paid for a membership at a gym I felt comfortable at. For me, the extra money was worth a gym where people didn't insult me.
  • lizlovestrees
    Options
    lol it's just ridiculous! I see the same people crying for help and encouragement and then BASHING other members! Wtf... be nice or keep your mouth shut. Or hell, if it really makes you feel better about yourself, get off your computer and go to the gym and walk around being mean to people in person, that'll make you look better. *sarcasm*
  • lizlovestrees
    Options
    The gym at my university is awful. Every time I went, someone commented on how I shouldn't be there. Every time I was in the locker room, someone said something. The most common was how the gym is only for healthy people, and I shouldn't come back.

I had a free membership there, and it is a very nice facility, but I paid for a membership at a gym I felt comfortable at. For me, the extra money was worth a gym where people didn't insult me.

Headphones, people. Use them. Haters gon hate.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Never see that.

Then again, we do have two very overweight trainers. No one has ever blinked an eye either.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I'm there for me...not to make anyone else feel welcome, not to say hi to anyone & sure as not there to help anyone else (I'm not trained in anything so helping them can be a big NO).... I'm there for MY workout.

I'm one of those skinny *****es that WILL roll my eyes at you if you are running so hard on the treadmill when your feet land that I can hear it OVER my music. I'm one of those skinny *****es that will roll my eyes at you when you walk past ME and give me a dirty look for sweating my *kitten* off. I'm one of those skinny *****es that will roll my eyes at you when I then see you outside walking towards the supermarket with a *kitten* in your hand & drinking that coke after I've just seen YOU give ME a dirty look in the gym.

Someone needs a mani pedi combo and a cupcake
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't usually go to the gym on Saturday, but this particular week I had missed one of my weekday 5am workouts and wanted to make it up. As I got up on to my treadmill these two very large guys started barking and laughing at me! I was more confused than anything, I mean who barks at another person?? Anyway, I don't have image issues or anything and am a pretty confident person so it didn't bother me, and I just went and did my thing. I found out later they were asked to leave after that. Made me feel good that someone noticed them being jerks and asked them to go. To me it speaks more of their insecurities than mine.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I'm there for me...not to make anyone else feel welcome, not to say hi to anyone & sure as not there to help anyone else (I'm not trained in anything so helping them can be a big NO).... I'm there for MY workout.

I'm one of those skinny *****es that WILL roll my eyes at you if you are running so hard on the treadmill when your feet land that I can hear it OVER my music. I'm one of those skinny *****es that will roll my eyes at you when you walk past ME and give me a dirty look for sweating my *kitten* off. I'm one of those skinny *****es that will roll my eyes at you when I then see you outside walking towards the supermarket with a *kitten* in your hand & drinking that coke after I've just seen YOU give ME a dirty look in the gym.

That reminds me, I have to go run to the truck and grab my cigarettes. Left them in there last time I went to the gym.

And clear out the coke can. Damn that was tasty. Well, that and the candy bar I had afterwards.

Very tasty. Puts you in quite the perky mood. Perhaps you should try it?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I roll my eyes at the gym. It's usually into the mirror when I haven't completed as many reps as I expected or am otherwise disappointed with my performance.

We are our own worst critics. The things we imagine to be happening around us probably aren't. We're projecting our emotions about ourselves onto people who probably don't even know we exist. Seriously, the world doesn't revolve around any of us, and nobody cares about us beyond a small group of friends and family, if we're lucky.

When I was 60 pounds heavier, I was afraid of going to the gym because I was convinced everyone was going to stare and disapprove. But the truth is, nobody would have paid me much mind. Reality and perception are two very different things. We as self-conscious human beings are most often wrong about what everyone around us is thinking. We're all convinced the world is out to get us when it isn't.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Did they actually say anything to you? Were they really staring at you or did you just catch a glance? If they didn't say anything, can you really read their minds?

Actually, they did say something. They said something along the lines of, "What's she doing in here?" and "Why is he with her?" (Referring of course, to my husband.)

Edited to add: One of the guys in there who sees me in there daily was nice enough to stick up for me and tell them that I was there working hard, and they should try it sometime. So I know it's not just me who's noticed it.

You ran into something I've never witnessed or encountered. At least not since high school. There are of course jerks in this world, but it's best to ignore them. Kudos for the guy that stood up for you, though I seriously think it's better to ignore people like that. They either grow up eventually or people shun them.

Sounds like something else was going on here, not an eyeroll at someone who is overweight.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Someone needs a mani pedi combo and a cupcake

Oo! Oo! Me me me! :bigsmile:
    Yeah, I've been guilty of rolling my eyes at the *many* students who sit down at a machine and spend five minutes choosing *the* perfect song from their iPod to play soundtrack to their set... or set the lat pull way down to *there* and literally jump on the bar to get it down... or claim the very last machine I need to finish up, just as I'm wrapping my last set on the second to last (really, who *starts* a workout with triceps anyway?). But I've forced myself to chill out. I don't own the gym, I don't get to decide who uses it when and how.

But overweight, out-of-shape people? Good on 'em for working it. I've been in their shoes. Even if I hadn't... I don't own the bodies, I don't get to decide who uses 'em when and how.

OP, if I were in your position, I'd try a different time or even look for a new gym. Or, and I know this may be a radical thought and not something you're inclined to do, reach out to make friends with the snickery chickyboos by asking sweetly what workout routine keeps them in such lovely shape. :flowerforyou: If they have any shred of decency, they'll knock it off and respond in kind. If they don't... wish them luck in their efforts to make time with all the guys who just saw what total b!tches they can be. :noway:
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I've never understood why this happens, why people feel the need to embarrass others. This happened a lot at the athletic centre at my University... It's sad because the gym should be a place for people to feel comfortable and where they are working to be healthier. The worst is when they feel that even the gym isn't a safe place to go.

I admit I'm like that as well, it probably stems from my shyness and lack of self-confidence, but I actually prefer to workout at home.

People that feel the need to make fun of others are actually revealing their own insecurities and in an attempt to cover that up, they lash out at others. Sad really.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Yeah cause at planet fitness they don't approve of weight lifting, biggest load of BS in the world i would never go to a gym like that. SERIOUSLY alarms when you grunt? sorry i grunt sometimes when im trying to do heavy weights, does that make me a "meathead" as the pfers call em? I'm rolling my eyes at the pf policy makers as i grunt away at my gym

edit: sorry to rant i HATE that gym!