MFP Cycling Club

Options

Replies

• JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    If you have a cell phone that you can download apps for, you can download a biking app. My husband uses one for our rides, and it works really great.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    One option is use MapMyRide.com, and map out your usual routes. It is free to use, though you can join and pay (I think) if you want to use more advanced features. It will show you how far each route is, and will even show you the elevation. Good luck!
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    Morning everyone, just checking in. I went to my spinning class yesterday morning and whilst I felt pretty good during the class, my legs were like lead this morning. I cycled in to work and it was the single hardest journey ever! My legs were so achey that despite being on a level road and cycling with the lowest gear, it felt like I was going uphill the entire way. It's only 9.20 am here and I am already dreading the cycle home just a little bit! The good thing is that I have to get home somehow as I can't just leave my bike at work :)

RAGBRAI sounds amazing - I have always wanted to try the London to Brighton bike ride (85 km) or the London to Paris bike ride (500 km over 5 days) but at the moment I am just waaaay too chicken!

RebelRenny - Good luck - a 40km round trip commute sounds mean, but your heart will love you for it!

Clioandboy - 15 km doesn't say nothing to me, it's something I'm working towards so you should definitely be chuffed. Hope the downhill part was fun :)

I hadn't thought of using an app but I think I will give it a go.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Hello from Tokyo Japan!

I've been using MFP for almost two months now and I've lost 22 lbs, but I've got a LOT more to lose. I used to cycle a lot, I lived in Vancouver BC before I moved to Tokyo in 1990, I would cycle from East Van up to UBC daily, a round trip of 32km/20 miles, boy I was in shape back then!

Now I live and work in downtown Tokyo, and I had my old 1988 Cannondale MTB that I brought over with me, so I restored it and I build a trailer for it. My lovely wife and I run her family's business, a liquor shop, so I now do the deliveries to the restaurants and houses with the bicycle and trailer, not the same as the ride to UBC used to be, but every bit helps.

I just got a cycling computer for my bike and now am recording mileage, I'll try to keep a running total.

Panda86, the computer I got is a "Cat Eye" brand, and I opted for the more expensive wireless one, but it was only $50, the non-wireless one was about $30 here.

Cheers!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    Nice to see a cycling thread. I've been training with my team for Pedal to the Point in August. I try and do
    about 150 miles a week, which depends on whether I commute or not. I'm not to crazy about riding my
    bike at 10 o'clock at night, but still try at least one or two times a week.

BTW, if anyone wants to donate for Pedal to the Point, which goes toward the fight for Multiple Schlerosis,
    here's the link...

https://secure3.convio.net/nmss/site/Donation2?idb=1116196728&df_id=27879&FR_ID=13681&PROXY_ID=7745866&PROXY_TYPE=20&27879.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr004=dt6yiktpv1.app326b

The minimum donation is only $5.

This past weekend I did 80 miles by myself and at least another 25 tonite with my team.

Doug
  • LisaKC
    Options
    It looks like I may get in only a couple of bike rides this week. It's a bummer, but on the upside, I have a lot of work to do, and need to work and earn while the jobs are there (I'm a self employed consultant). I've got some onsite client work this week and next, some out of town, so will try to get some other kind of activity worked into my schedule. Happy pedaling!

Doug - Great job riding for a cause! Best of luck with your team training.

And for the rest of you who are commuting to work, I'm jealous. Since I work out of my house most of the time, that won't work for me. :wink:
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    And for the rest of you who are commuting to work, I'm jealous. Since I work out of my house most of the time, that won't work for me. :wink:

You can go biking in the morning and then call yourself commuting lol. I would have to leave 3 hours in order to get to work, but the kids would not like me coming in hot and sweaty. Now way to shower, plus, I have 3 kids to deliver to various other school drops. :laugh:

Thunderstorm chance scared me into not riding this morning. :frown: Will have to make up the difference over the next couple of days.

I live in a non third world country, yet, the USA is about the only country left still using the customary measurement system. I teach metric, but I am not good at visualizing miles to KM and vice versa. So when everyone is talking about km distance i have to revert back to my trip to canada . We drove 60 mph and the speed limit sign said 100 KMP. One you think I should be better, my goal for the future, to watch my car speedometer and think distance and speed in km. Trival: did you know that Benjamin Franklin tried to present the idea for our country, just forming, to use the metric system. Then we would not have to deal with all that fraction stuff. 1 inch 9/16. :grumble:

Anyways, I am proud to say I went to MapMyRide.com. I liked looking at the diifferent map types, and the elevation feature is cool. Cool, someday, I may just past a fellow cyclist. I found saved routes for cyclist in my area too. And who knows, I may even enter an event....maybe...
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Can anyone suggest something that will help me track how far I go on my bike? I have looked at bike computers, but most are really expensive... is there something smaller and similar to a pedometer that a runner wears that would work??? And hopefully affordable.... Thanks :)
    There are some inexpensive odometers out there. Cateye makes models that range from $30-50.00. That's what I use for now. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the Garmin models, but it keeps track of my miles, which is all I'm really looking for right now. Maybe I'll put a Garmin on my Christmas list :happy:
  • BarbieCat1
    BarbieCat1 Posts: 82
    Options
    I managed my first bike ride this week [it's been a family visiting overload for the past two weeks !!] and boy, it felt good. I don't know the exact mileage, as my odometer bit the dust months ago, but I keep track of how long I bike and subtract an estimate for stops [ drink of water, traffic lights]

So, this AM, my friend and I rode about 80 solid minutes. I learned a lesson last week when I biked early on an empty stomach and felt the dreaded fade. Not today... I ate a piece of Ezekiel toast with a tbsp of peanut butter and a handful of fresh cherries, which are at their season peak right now. Of course, I also drank a big glass of water. This was just enough... complex carbs and some protein. I managed the hills [ok, ok,... bridge overpasses] just fine.

It's a hot and very humid summer here in FL, and I believe other parts of the country are experiencing major heat too. I can only bike early in the morning and early evening yet still come home drenched... we southern ladies supposedly don't sweat, of course ... we merely "glisten". :blushing: Well, I glisten to the point of being completely drenched and dripping! Drinking plenty of water is absolutely essential when exercising, but in this climate, more so than ever. I go through about 12 oz before setting out, 22 oz during and another big glass before heading home, if possible.

I was reading that in heat, drinking a slush type frozen drink can keep athletes performing longer than just cold water. I wonder if that applies to a frozen margarita? Probably not. :laugh:

BC1
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    [I live in a non third world country, yet, the USA is about the only country left still using the customary measurement system. I teach metric, but I am not good at visualizing miles to KM and vice versa. So when everyone is talking about km distance i have to revert back to my trip to canada . We drove 60 mph and the speed limit sign said 100 KMP. One you think I should be better, my goal for the future, to watch my car speedometer and think distance and speed in km. Trival: did you know that Benjamin Franklin tried to present the idea for our country, just forming, to use the metric system. Then we would not have to deal with all that fraction stuff. 1 inch 9/16. :grumble:

I am the product of confused teaching - for distance and volume I think in metric. For small mass I think in metric grams and for large mass (like my weight ;) ) I think in imperial stones and pounds. Regardless of where in the world I am I still end up having to convert something!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I was reading that in heat, drinking a slush type frozen drink can keep athletes performing longer than just cold water. I wonder if that applies to a frozen margarita? Probably not. :laugh:
    I wish!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Can anyone suggest something that will help me track how far I go on my bike? I have looked at bike computers, but most are really expensive... is there something smaller and similar to a pedometer that a runner wears that would work??? And hopefully affordable.... Thanks :)
    There are some inexpensive odometers out there. Cateye makes models that range from $30-50.00. That's what I use for now. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the Garmin models, but it keeps track of my miles, which is all I'm really looking for right now. Maybe I'll put a Garmin on my Christmas list :happy:

Thanks a bunch, I will look into that. Right now I am just tracking time, but that can vary so much depending on my energy level, and pretty much everyone else aims for a distance.... What would be a good over-all goal for the summer, distance-wise? I am a beginner and not sure what I should make my goal for the summer (in miles).
  • StuAblett
    Options

Thanks a bunch, I will look into that. Right now I am just tracking time, but that can vary so much depending on my energy level, and pretty much everyone else aims for a distance.... What would be a good over-all goal for the summer, distance-wise? I am a beginner and not sure what I should make my goal for the summer (in miles).

Panda that is a good question.:smile:

The answer depends on a lot of things, but I'd say the simple answer is to not worry about an overall goal, just try to improve every week. It would also depend on where you live, if you live in a very flat place, with lots of good space for bicycles you can put on a lot of nice steady miles, but if you live in a really hilly place you will work a lot harder for those miles.

My advice for you is to get a map, or even google maps and try to figure out a route. I imagine you know your own area well, after all you live there, so avoid the congested areas with lots of traffic and peds, try to map out a route that skirts these areas.

I think that 10 mph is a decent pace to aim for to start, so how much time do you want to spend, if the answer is an hour, then I'd map out an 8 mile route, that way with traffic lights etc, you should be able to complete your route in an hour. Don't go at it like it is a race, it is not, try to be consistent, remember what gear you are in, if the route goes up hill, be in the right gear to tackle the hill.

Take your time, figure it out.

Now some generic cycling tips.

People driving cars cannot see you, you are the invisible cyclist to them. I've been hit 4 times in my life while riding my bicycle, thankfully nothing more than stitches, but each time the first thing out of the cager's mouth was "I did not see him" :explode:

Ride like everyone in a cage is out to kill you, to run you over and then back up and make sure they did the job :bigsmile:

I know it sounds extreeme but you have to watch your own (ever decreasing in size) *kitten* out there.

Wear a helmet, and wear it correctly

I don't know if I can post a pic here......

helmetfit2.jpg

or

http://www.bicycleapparel.com/images/helmets/helmetfit2.jpg

but there is a good and bad way to wear a helmet.

Wear gloves, if you do take a tumble, even a small one, your hands will take a beating, gloves help with hand pain too. I have never liked the gel filled ones, good old leather for me thank you.

Make sure your bike is in good shape, check the tires for cracks etc and make sure they are pumped up to the right pressure, this will make flat tires less likely and the bike will roll along much faster and easier, making the ride more fun, which will make you ride more.

If you ride at night or even dusk, get a light for both the front and back of your bike, the new LED flashing lights are great, they are cheap, the batteries really last and they can be seen from a very long ways away.

Equip your bike with a bell, and use it, nothing freaks out peds more than a bike wizzing by them from behind, ring your bell as you approach and then as you get closer, if they move over, say "Thanks" and smile, this is good etiquette for cyclists. Watch out for peds with their iPods on or texting, they are dead to the world, they have to be treated like blind deaf 3 year olds with impulse problems :noway: :bigsmile: give them a wide berth.

I may be going a bit over kill here, but if you are prepared and you are aware, you can avoid most trouble and really enjoy your cycling while getting fit.

PS when I say "Ped" I mean "Pedestrian" I'm not saying it in a derogatory manner, it is just short hand, same for "Cagers" I get this from years of cycling and motorcycling, we call those stuck in their cars while we ride Cagers, because they are stuck in their cages :laugh:

I'm also aware that may call motorcycles "Donorcycle" :wink:

Enjoy your cycling!

Stu
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am impressed with all the great information on this site. Had a killer bike ride yesterday, because the brake pads were chaving against the back wheel. Thanks to DH who thought it was necessary to tighten the screws. Go figure. Today was better, but did 30k instead of the full 40, because DH picked me up half way.

Tomorrow maybe another 30k instead of 40. Meaning, the full 20k to work but halfway back and getting a ride the rest of the way. The way back is brutal, end of day, hot, tired and some daunting inclines. I do love it though. Such a sense of accomplishment. I am in competition with myself!!

I also have a gadget on my bike that is supposed to measure all types of good stuff. Not expensive, pretty sure it was abt. $20. But somehow the wires and sensors are not lining up anymore. I got one good measure though and that was 20k in 65 minutes with 840 calories burned based on my age.

Wishing everyone fine bicycling experiences!!

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Still taking the week off from cycling as we brought the dog with us for this trip. Doing a lot of walking (about 5 miles a day) and killed 2 pair of athletic shoes. (I think they died more of old age than hard use - the timing was just humorous.) Stopped posting my exercise and nutrition as well due to time contraints with a slow wi-fi but I'm NOT veering from my hard won eating habits.

We are staying in Ludington, MI and the area is really bike friendly. The bike shops are utilitarian and don't carry kits and socks or do-rags. The terrain is a lot nicer than the map shows. Most of the bikes used are of the "fat tire" variety and I would definitely consider one if you are going to vary your route a lot. Really wish we would see more helmet use but these are not racers running pace lines so danger is minimalized.

Will let you know when I'm "back in the saddle again".

P.S. I have been religiously reading the posts and all of you are doing impressive work.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    @StuAblett- Thank you thank you for all the tips! My bike right now is in somewhat poor condition, but its all I can afford right now. I didn't take good care of it before :( But it works. What is the correct tire pressure for a mountain bike??? I just got a new helmet and bike computer (YAY!), and I will grab a bell from our local store ASAP- dunno why I didn't think to get one. I do have a rear-view mirror so I can see things coming up behind me with a quick glance instead of turning around to look, which is so dangerous! I am slowly building up the accessories necessary for a serious cyclist.... so I will get a good bell, and next will be a light for the front and back, and then gloves. Then I think I will move on to clothing? My husband swears up and down that I don't need special spandex clothes, but I get the feeling that they will be more comfortable and not rub as bad....... probably my last purchase will be my new bike- which will be a road bike... That will be last because its the most expensive. Any other suggestions for safety, gear, advice, ANYTHING is welcome! Thanks to everyone for the great tips, and thanks for this awesome thread! It has been soooo helpful!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new from Australia, so metric all the way for me.
    I am a serious recreational cyclist, so usually get up early 2-3 times a week (5.30 or 6.00) to go for a 30 km ride with friends, and then longer rides on Saturday.
    Last Saturday was the longest ride for me for a long time - 94 kms, but after a really horrible week weather wise, it was mild weather and little wind, unfortunately it started to rain just at the end, but that is OK.
    My advice for newbies: get your bike checked out for safety, and get a basic kit and some training on how to change a tire, you'll be glad you did. Oh and bike shorts are definitely worth the money.

Also for the person on an earlier page saying that she needs to get gloves because her hands are sore - might be worth asking a bike shop if your set-up is OK, as on short rides your hands shouldn't get sore, you might have too much weight resting on them.

Looking forward to reading some more great bike stories.

GG
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Panda86, don't worry about your bike, I started riding seriously on a $125 Canadian Tire bike, it weighed a TON and I was always breaking stuff on it, but it carried me a LOT of miles off-road.

If you or someone you know is not up on bike maintenance, take it too a good shop and tell them that you want it checked over and just maintained, you DO NOT want to spend a lot of money on it, as you will be in the market for a new better bike down the road. A good shop will treat you right, change or fix only what needs to be fixed, and then let your drool over their new bikes in the show room!

The bike I use daily is a 1988 Cannondale SM500, this is a mountain bike, and it is NOT new, it was a mid level bike when I bought it, 22 years ago, and it has seen me through a LOT of miles. I've fixed and maintained it myself and I think the only original parts on the bike are the frame and the cranks :bigsmile:

photo.php?pid=30922773&l=941c718734&id=1152440844
    I hope this pic works, that is the bike, I put skinny slick tires on it for the road, and it is very zippy for me!

Most mountain bikes can be converted for road use by just putting on slick tires, get rid of the knobbies, the only slow you down on the road. A good set of decent road tires should not cost you that much, less than $40 installed, I would think, you don't need the stickiest lightest tires around, just something with less rolling resistance.

The tire max pressure should be on the tire side wall, I'm still a heavy guy and the tires are skinny, so I run mine at 80 PSI which is near the max of 90PSI. This works great, and they are quick but the ride is rather harsh.

pinkgigi welcome!

You mention bike set up, that is really critical, panda86, a good bike shop should be able to help you with that too. A piece of advice on going to a good bike shop, if their workshop/garage space is less than half of their showroom space, they are most likely a bike seller, not really a bike shop, IMHO, of course there are exceptions to that rule, but in general, a good bike shop has a good mechanics department, they build wheels and such too. I think the most critical thing you need to set up on your bike is the seat height, you leg on the very bottom of the pedal stroke should not quite full extend, I usually go a bit lower than I think is OK, say a good inch, then slowly, over a week or two raise it 1/4" at a time, this is critical, if too high, you hurt your knees, if too low you will be wasting effort.

Best of luck, more later, I got to go!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    IMG_0454.JPG
    My bike with the skinny slick tires on it

I hope the pic worked!
  • LisaKC
    Options
    @pinkgigi, WELCOME! Interested in hearing more about your cycling adventures down under.

@Panda, you absolutely should invest in the very best cycling shorts you can afford. It makes a huge difference.