Why do people consider weight loss surgery cheating?

Options

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The think it's cheating because they think everybody can lose weight at the drop of a hat if they only diet and exercise.

There are some people who have circumstances that are beyond their control - life happening, job issues, whatever - that can all make things that much more difficult for them to lose weight.

For example - Governor Christie. I can't imagine being governor of a state and trying to lose weight. Job and life are working against him. I can see why he'd pursue that.

Keep in mind: it's just a tool. If you don't change your eating habits, it may not be worth the effort. It comes with some pretty specific guidelines that need to be followed, and there are consequences if you don't. Lap band slippage, reflux, etc. etc. etc.

People need to take whatever advantages they can in their path to trying to lose weight. If weight loss surgery is one of them, then so be it.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Actually the two week pre op diet is to shrink the liver down so they can move around easier for the WLS. Some programs require it others don't.
    I must say there is alot of lack of education about WLS.
    I worked my *kitten* off too and I had WLS sleeve surgery June 11, 2012! I worked my *kitten* off to loose 47 pounds pre op from Feb to June 2012. I worked my *kitten* off to get team approved by my WLS program so I could get a surgery date. I worked my *kitten* off exercising pre op and now post op! I work my *kitten* off daily at home exercising every day and go to the gym 3-4 times a week for up to 2 hours working my *kitten* off! Yes, I am taking the easy way out aren't I???
    I was born fat, I weighed over 11 pounds at birth. I have been fat all my life. I was a member of Weight Watchers before the age of 10. I have been more diets than I can remember. Yes I would loose weight but it would come back on and I would never get to my goal. At age 48 I decided enough was enough and looked into WLS. It was the best decision I have ever made and done for myself. I have had to change my eating habits. No caffine, no carbonation, no drinking or smoking (didn't do those before so not a big deal). I have bad knees due to be fat all my life. Since loosing 140 pounds my knees don't hurt. I can walk over 4.3 MPH on the treadmill with an incline due to loosing this weight. My health is so much better. Yes I did loose 47 pounds pre op from 2/1/12 to 6/11/12 with the help of MFP and yes I did think "well, I am doing so good maybe I don't need the WLS" but I quickly remembered all those other times I lost weight and then would stall out and then start to gain it back. So I did end up having the sleeve WLS. It isn't a magic wand but a tool in my tool box. Just like exercising, logging food and other things. If you have head hunger issues it doesn't cure that and you need to work on that before surgery. Yes, you can gain it back too. You have to log your food daily and exercise and make healthy food choices. Some people do and some don't after WLS or after their goal. It is up to the individual who had the WLS it is their choice if they are going to continue eating bad or good.
    It is a personal decision. Do what you want to do. Just make sure you pick a good WLS program that has a team of professionals to help you with psych issues, nutritional edcuation, bariatric phyiscal therapy and other team members. My program had just this and they are very strict who they approve for WLS it can take 6 months to 2 years to get a surgery date with them. You go to different classes on nutrition for pre op and post op. You will have to take special vitamins all your life.
    I haven't had any complications and all my lab work has come out great at the different times they have tested.
    I have gone from a size 24W pants to size 4 and size 3XL top to size small.
    Yes I did take the easy way out didn't I and frankly I could care less what others think. I am the most healthist I have ever been in my life. I am at my personal goal weight of 130 and working on maintaing. I have 24% body fat per the DXA scan I had three weeks ago and now working on lowering body fat with strength training at the gym and home.
    You lose weight pre-surgery because you drink 4 shakes/day which isn't exactly conducive or healthy for a permanent diet. It's 2-4 weeks and is designed to shrink your stomach, not provide nutrients to sustain life indefinitely.

So you starve yourself pre-surgery so you can starve after surgery...? How is this at all good for your body to help correct anything? It sounds like you are slowly emaciating yourself. O_O
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you still need to eat right, if you still need to exercise....

What's the point of having a doctor cut you open and shrink your stomach through surgery?

From what I've read about it it's a miserable procedure that can really do a number on a person's life. I don't consider it cheating because it doesn't make things any easier. If anything it gives people an entirely new set of problems they also have to deal with. They can and do still gain weight. To have any real success they still need to eat right and exercise. Like the rest of us.

So why the surgery?

This ^^ is my question too.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No matter what the health situation, I personally am 100% against it. I had classmate from high school, who at 28, decided to have the procedure done. She had been thin in high school and had slowly gained weight since. She had only been heavy enough for WLS for a year or so. She died on the operating table at a extremely well-reputed and highly ranked hospital. Other than her weight, she had no medical conditions. NEVER worth losing your life.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Like someone mentioned, it is a quick fix but not a permanent fix.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself - it is not a fix for cheating, it is not magic and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with losing control/having no impulse control. It is a tool. WLS doesn't make a person thin/healthy or make a person eat less or make better choices - you still choose what you put in your mouth. It's not easy, either. I would have rather continued my diet & exercise plan and not gone under the knife twice, but I'd probably still be 300+lbs.

I am educated. The "tool" is that you have modified your body so that you cannot ingest more than a fistful of food at any given time. You haven't learned why you became overweight, why you overate, and why you couldn't lose weight through eating properly and exercising more.

WLS *DOES* in fact MAKE a person thin and it DOES in fact make them eat less, that's the very definition of weight loss surgery. To regain the weight you have to overeat by eating more often... which a lot of them do. I'll agree that it's not easy, but neither is diet or exercise.

I'm going to say something that will make you go BONKERS nuts now...

"Yes, in fact you COULD have lost the weigh by eating right and controlling your diet and lifestyle."
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had a sister who had it. She was ok for a year, then she had to have her gallbladder out (coincidentally, at the same time that I did) and she died three days after the surgery. The cause was linked to her first surgery.

She left a son, whom the sister is raising. It is very sad.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Its the cowards way out
    when we are out here working our *kitten* off cuz we gotta lose weight- the real way

Two of my most inspiring MFP friends had weight loss surgery. I did not. They have both lost about the same amount of weight as I have.

The ONLY difference between us is that they had the surgery and I didn't. All three of us log food religiously. All three of us workout all the time. All three of us have made lifelong changes in our approach to food and fitness. All three of us have to approach every challenge with willpower and hard work. All three of us are at risk of regaining weight if we fail to retain our new habits - in fact, studies show that of the three of us, I am the most likely to fail.

We all lost weight "the real way." We all worked our *kitten* off.

You are exactly correct. Surgery is a tool but only a tool. I have known 2 people who had the surgery. I decided that it is not right for me. But believe me... It does not make weight loss "easier"...
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would not want to have the eating regime that goes along with it, I would be miserable, so I don't think it's the easy way out.

That being said, I do equate it with being a dry alcoholic. The issues that lead to the drinking / overeating have to be dealt with.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    because the failure rate is over 50%. 5 years after Weight Loss Surgery, more than 50% have gained a significant portion of the weight back.

WLS forces people to eat less after the procedure, without fixing the underlying cause of the obesity - which could range from having emotional issues or an inability to deal with life stresses, to simply being ignorant of the nutritional and caloric content of a western diet.

Only in America are the Obese starving...

ETA: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18392907

First off look into the science of WLS it restricts ghrelin, the hormone that produces hunger. Those who have WLS produce less of it. its have been PROVEN that larger stomachs produce MORE ghrelin and therefore it takes MORE food to fill a larger stomach, making "putting the fork down and walking away" harder for the obese.

Second a 50% long-term success rate is still better the LESS THAN 20% chance for maintenance otherwise that the obese.
    have --> http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.full.

Third, all WLS help in rather then having to on your own cut you caloric intake, as you do with traditional weight loss (something that is very hard especially when your obese and eat about 3,000 calories a day) its done for you - abet forced. After the first few months/ year when the stomach/ body has adjusted to the "new" method WLS patients can eat like anyone else and if they dont watch their calorie intake and exercise they will for sure regain.

Fourth, it is a TOOL and nothing more. Many doctors willingly perform the surgery for people without first requiring them to even try to lose weight on their own, they just put them on liquid diets for two weeks PRIOR to their surgery - yah I would also lose 10 pounds if I just drank protein drinks for two weeks and ate nothing. Then the patient is on liquids for another two weeks AFTER surgery. So these patients dont learn the proper ways to eat or exercise. The doctors only give them a booklet with "proper nutrition and exercise tips" and send them home thats bull. Those people are the ones that either rarely lose or if they do they regain and the problem is, is that there are MANY of them.

In the end its a personal choice. Like any elective surgery. You should do it for yourself and for the right reasons.

I have known people who have had WLS some were where successful and some were not. I have also known many who have not had WLS and lost weight and some have regained and some have not.

In the end its all about the long-term choices you make and forcing yourself to be accountable to yourself.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have never needed the surgery, but I know of a very obese woman who has been in the hospital twice now for hernia operations. She has been advised to lose a lot of weight or face additional health crises. Has she done anything to help herself? No. My theory is that I feel morbidly obese people didn't get to the size they are just because they love to eat, they got there for reasons other than too much food.

The friend grew up in a strict home, and often talked about the discipline she received at home -- the beatings with yard sticks, etc. While I don't know enough of her history, I can only assume that she is hiding her emotions behind the wall of fat she has built around herself. Incidentally, she tends to be very critical and judgmental of others -- myself included -- and I think this again is her anger and disgust at herself turned outward.

I don't believe WLS is a fix of any kind other than the numbers on a scale. I think it sets people up to fail thinking ALL their problems will be solved with this surgery. In fact, as studies have shown, the amount of people who end up gaining the weight back is pretty high. So, if you want to look at efficacy of WLS, I would have to say it's not successful unless OTHER issues are addressed. The psychological issues of morbid obesity need to be addressed and fixed before the patient can be truly successful.

My opinion.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    As someone who suffers from PCOS . . . . your PCOS is not making it "IMPOSSIBLE" for you to lose weight- it is making it harder and a longer process, but not impossible

For the sake of the conversation I am curious how you manage your PCOS and weight loss. My initial thought is through hormone therapy. Is that correct?

Actually no. The best way to manage PCOS is to lose weight and manage the blood sugar naturally. But most doctors, including endocrinologists who are supposed to know this stuff don't always tell you that. For me, they put me on birth control and metformin to help. But all the BC did was make me have periods without actually ovulating (so not a legitimate period) and throw my hormones more out of wack. I am currently (through my own research) trying to get off of BC and managing my PCOS naturally using diet and exercise.

I also wanted to point out that every woman with PCOS is completely different. While some symptoms are pretty much universal, each woman's body chemistry and diet requirements are different. Just because one woman lost 100 lbs by restricting carbs and exercising 7 days a week doesn't mean that another woman will. PCOS is the perfect example of how every person in the world is different. The OP seems to have done everything the doctors recommended for her for a year with no progress. If this is the option they are now suggesting then this is the one she should do if she wants. Every person's path is different. Judging another person for a choice is not going to help you or them. So just offer advice without malice. When you have walked perfectly in her shoes and lived her life from beginning to end then you have the right to judge. Until then, opinions only.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    because the failure rate is over 50%. 5 years after Weight Loss Surgery, more than 50% have gained a significant portion of the weight back.

WLS forces people to eat less after the procedure, without fixing the underlying cause of the obesity - which could range from having emotional issues or an inability to deal with life stresses, to simply being ignorant of the nutritional and caloric content of a western diet.

Only in America are the Obese starving...

ETA: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18392907
    First off look into the science of WLS it restricts ghrelin, the hormone that produces hunger. Those who have WLS produce less of it. its have been PROVEN that larger stomachs produce MORE ghrelin and therefore it takes MORE food to fill a larger stomach, making "putting the fork down and walking away" harder for the obese.

Second a 50% long-term success rate is still better the LESS THAN 20% chance for maintenance otherwise that the obese.
    have --> http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.full.

You can talk about hormones all you want, they still don't know all the mechanisms behind how all the different hormones interconnect. At one point they thought leptin was the key, but it turned out to be a dead end. It's a complex system, like weather, you can't manipulate it quite so simply. WLS causes you to eat less food, no sugar, and more protein. hmm...

50% is the *5 year* failure rate. Over a longer term, the failure rate is even higher.

Your 3rd and 4th are just excuses as to why you are unable to summon the willpower to change. It boils down to a person being UNWILLING (not incapable) of facing their emotional or psychological issues that cause them to overeat. Looking inside yourself is much harder than having someone else fix it for you.

I know people who have been successful with WLS too, they are much healthier...

... so far. The price of being fit and healthy is eternal vigilance. I love them just like any of my other friends, but I am also prepared for them to implode at some point. They haven't fixed anything except their body image. Some won't. Most will.

And in the end, WLS patients have to follow a set of rules, have to follow a specific plan and monitor their macro nutrients and types of calories to a very specific window, or else they risk a while load of issues..

So I'm sticking to what I said, in my mind it's unhealthy, unnecessary, over the top for people who have no medical reason for doing it, and I think it's akin to any other coping behavior or quick bandaid.

These people are hurt or they never learned how to respect their bodies or believe in themselves. If they don't learn, They'll fall back into the same traps.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You asked a loaded question, and some of the 'holier than thou' crowd decreed from their high throne the fallacy of your choices.

1: Do not worry about the opinions and judgements of others. They damn sure dont care about yours. There is only one real opinion that matters and thats the bella in the mirror. You do whats right for you.

2: Its better to have WLS surgery and gain your health back than to continue to remain unhealthy with a foot in the grave. Its not about which tool you use to get healthy, its about getting healthy. If you need to use this tool, then by god use it.

To the anoited posters out there, go have a smoothie and shut the *&^% up.

Ciao, Madcow

Love this guy!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    as a former gastric bypass patient, now nearly 8 years out from my surgery, i never understood this either, look at me , i am back on here with 100lbs to lose, because i did it WRONG the first time,

Personally i think people think its "easy" or cheating because it forces you to comply for a while, by its very nature, the implied "we promise success " is where people misunderstand, how on earth is major surgery cheating???

ok , so then by that same code, if i have surgery for cancer i'm cheating the cancer and thats somehow wrong??
    WHAT?!?!?! no one would dare think or say that,
    so me going into my surgery and rerouting my entire digestive system is cheating and therefore somehow wrong ?

but because food and eating is so intimately tied with weight and fitness - and in the USA fat is seen as poor self control, slovenly, lazy,indulgent,etc.. thats where "cheating" comes in , weight loss of any type is intimately tied with the concept of cheating.
    think about it , even diet advertising is talking about cheating, same with WW and the points program and your cheat days... just my ramblings,
    best of luck on your journey
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Personally, I sometimes see that those who get it dont see that the hard work is still going to be involved as it's not a band-aid and cant fix a poor relationship with food or your body. If one not has worked on his/her food addiction and demons then weight gain can happen. The usual prescription after WLS is caloric reduction with exercise. Why not just do that without altering your whole GI tract and possibly suffering from a number of risks from the surgery both short and long term. You can't fix obesity without diet and exercise.

For me, WLS is not an option because it doesn't fix the root cause of my obesity. It's a tool that is to radical for me.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything about weight-loss surgery that is easy.

But I do think there is something to be said for learning how to make necessary lifestyle changes. Surgery doesn't change your habits. I know MANY people who have had one form of bariatric surgery or another, and I can only say that ONE of them has kept the weight off. Some of the others tried for a while, but eventually they all thought of their smaller stomachs as a safety net, and I firmly believe it is because they never learned how to eat properly or maintain an active lifestyle before they went under the knife. They had surgery, the weight fell off with little effort on their part, and they weren't equipped to maintain that loss.

I'm not trying to discourage you. You may very well have a great handle on your diet and exercise habits. But to be perfectly honest, if you are looking for reassurance or confirmation that you're doing the right thing from strangers on the Internet, I'm not sure you're in the right mental state for a surgery of this magnitude.

Completely agree with all of this. Well said.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    first off, I have not read any of the previous comments, so sorry if im repeating what was already said. If thats you in the profile pic, it doesnt look like you are big enough for your weight to be a life or death situation. I have read that there is a 1 in 250 chance of dying from complications of this surgery. The only way I would ever have this surgery is if I was 100 % going to die with out it. Your weight loss can be acheived with out it, it will be a slower but in MY opinion more healthy way to go. In the end it is your body and your decision, I just hope you have considered all the risks involved in this surgery. best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

ok , so then by that same code, if i have surgery for cancer i'm cheating the cancer and thats somehow wrong??
    WHAT?!?!?! no one would dare think or say that,
    so me going into my surgery and rerouting my entire digestive system is cheating and therefore somehow wrong ?

First of all, you're not the one rerouting your entire digestive system. The surgeon does that. Let's not give ourselves credit for something so challenging.

Secondly, this is the worst analogy I've ever seen.

Obesity can be and is most often treated non-surgically through diet and exercise. Cancer will kill you unless you get radiation and/or surgery. There are no other options for cancer treatment like there are for gastric bypass seekers. Losing weight through diet and exercise is the more respectable way to combat obesity because it is a more reasonable and less risky option for weight loss. Trying to combat cancer by willpower alone will ALWAYS result in death. That just isn't the case for gastric bypass folks.

I could go on but I think we all see the point here.
  • jcstout77
    jcstout77 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have also had weight loss surgery. It is definitely NOT cheating or taking the easy way out. It is a difficult process, before and after. if you have tried everything else and it didn't work, then do what it takes to make you healthy. Like you said, it is a tool to help out. After 2 yrs, I make sure to eat right to not gain it back.