squats

Options

Replies

• EmmieChunk
    EmmieChunk Posts: 13
    Options
    I do squats 3 times a week and in just a little over a month I have already gotten a lot of improvement in my legs and butt... But I also do straight legged deadlifts and run daily, so that helps, too :) I do different types of squats, some with weight and some without... I have a love/hate relationship with them lol

Exactly this for me too. but i dont run daily.
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    Body weight squats are really only useful for getting your heart rate up, I can't really see anyone putting on any muscle doing those.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats are really only useful for getting your heart rate up, I can't really see anyone putting on any muscle doing those.

LOLOLOLOL
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form. Squats are awesome, but they are tough to do correctly. There's a lot going on. The good news is there's only one or two main points to really worry about when starting.

1: Don't let your knees go past your toes. You do this by angling your toes outward and driving your hips back.
    2: Keep the weight of the bar over your heels. You should be able to lift your toes off the ground.

lolwtf? Ever hear of DOMS?

Edit: I suppose I should also mention that 1 isn't right either for low bar squats and for some people even for high bar squats, but meh . . .
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    How has this thread gone three pages without anyone mentioning that the OP is wearing black panties with a lifting belt? Seriously, what is up with that profile picture?

Black panties ? You do know the OP is a guy ?
    Do panties stop being panties just because a man wears them? Those are panties.

They don't look like it because the black continues above the belt, so I'm thinking something along

Overhead-Press-1_zps21b083ca.jpg

Where is the arrow pointing to the semi boner in that pic?

Hey now.

We don't boner-shame here.

(Wait; what??)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form. Squats are awesome, but they are tough to do correctly. There's a lot going on. The good news is there's only one or two main points to really worry about when starting.

1: Don't let your knees go past your toes. You do this by angling your toes outward and driving your hips back.
    2: Keep the weight of the bar over your heels. You should be able to lift your toes off the ground.

Thank you for this!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I squat heavy(45 lbs in a backpack) three times a week and started a body-weight squat challenge 6 days ago. So yea, I'm squatting a lot. I can feel my quad muscles more and my bum is getting into some sort of shape. lol

I squat heavy with a 35 pound bar.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Thank you for this!

even tho it's incorrect?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Thank you for this!

even tho it's incorrect?

But the tone was nice...

...and that's what matters most in the MFP forums.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Crankstr posted this link to the So You Think You Can Squat videos, so I thought I would share it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I squat heavy(45 lbs in a backpack) three times a week and started a body-weight squat challenge 6 days ago. So yea, I'm squatting a lot. I can feel my quad muscles more and my bum is getting into some sort of shape. lol

I squat heavy with a 35 pound bar.
    Look at the legs of distance runners and you'll see what lots of reps at low or no weight does for your legs. If that's what your goal is then by all means do lots and lots of squats and I say hooray for you.

If you want your legs to get stronger, ignore all the people who are trying to stroke your ego by calling it heavy, and keep adding weight to your squats so that you can only do 5-8 reps at a time. Body weight squats will not get you very far. And while 45 pounds is more than no extra weight, unless you are a toddler or dealing with an injury it is a small fraction of what your legs are already able to do so it won't get you much farther. Your body will adapt quickly and stop progressing unless you keep challenging it. If you keep adding a little (like 5 pounds) each squat day you should expect to progress to something way bigger than 45 pounds (in the ballpark of your own body weight on the bar) and that amount will do a LOT more for your legs than 45 pounds will.

If your goal is a momentary ego boost of calling something "heavy" then keep doing the same weight. If your goal is a longer term fitness benefit then keep adding to your squat weights. (You will also get the ego boost every time you squat heavier than the last time.)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats with kettlebell, dumbbell squats, barbell squats (in the rack), and body weight squats are now my go-to exercises.
    I kind of jumped into everything too quickly and started doing heavy weights with light reps, which lead to a minor back injury.

Now I'm concentrating on my form and using lighter weights with higher reps (as advised by PT, I wasn't pleased) but I am noticing a difference in firmness finally.

Hoping to get one of these bad boys by the end of summer

tumblr_m7g23nkXuf1rofxqqo1_400.gif
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Doing weights WILL Help you loose weight. Lifting weights builds lean muscle, lean musle burns more calories. I lost 25lbs. In the begining I was only doing cardio and nothing was happending got wiht a trainer who told me I needed to start doing weights and bam the weight started coming off. So think again about the comment and do your research you will find TONS of information on why it is important to build lean muscle to loose weight.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Squat city b*tch - I've been doing the "30 day squat challenge" informally. I see a trainer twice a week, and do pilates twice a week so I wanted something else to do home. I'm up to 150 squats and it feels great! Sometimes I feel like I must be doing it wrong because my legs don't hurt - but I have def. lost inches and my butt is perkier. LOVE squats :D
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form.
    Please don't listen to this, ever. Muscle soreness after lifting is perfectly normal
    I was explaining why 45 lbs is not "heavy" for squats. Just because the other two were obnoxious about it doesn't mean they're wrong.

neither is
    250 or more lbs. :)
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This site is mostly dedicated for HEAVY LIFTERS, more so than for those just on losing weight. LIFTING HEAVY is the main topic of the posts, and those who don't lift heavy in the HEAVY'S eyesights may as well not even say anything about what they are lifting. To me lifting heavy is lifting my fat *kitten* up to start my exercises. to me squatting heavy is just me myself and I trying our darn best to do 10 sets of squats with no weights. OP i commend you for being able to to that and share it with us, but the heavies dont think you are doing squat.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    This site is mostly dedicated for HEAVY LIFTERS, more so than for those just on losing weight. LIFTING HEAVY is the main topic of the posts, and those who don't lift heavy in the HEAVY'S eyesights may as well not even say anything about what they are lifting. To me lifting heavy is lifting my fat *kitten* up to start my exercises. to me squatting heavy is just me myself and I trying our darn best to do 10 sets of squats with no weights. OP i commend you for being able to to that and share it with us, but the heavies dont think you are doing squat.

Don't worry, the so-called heavies don't actually lift that heavy either.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Seems to be a touchy subject! I just started this week. Today was day 2. I was sore as heck for this week, but feel great today. Started too heavy, I think, and adjusted down today. Working to get form. So...HATE squats, but they are definitely a major "must do" for overall fitness. I don't know of anything that works those big muscles the same way. I do have to take a couple days in between though...age catching up to me.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

This site has nothing to do with heavy lifting, it is about fitness.

And those who do heavy lifting fight an uphill battle every day trying to convinvce people that heavy lifting actually works.

I would hardly say that is the mark of a site dedicated to heavy lifters. Maybe you have MFP confused with bodybuilding.com
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    [/quote]

Don't worry, the so-called heavies don't actually lift that heavy either.
    [/quote]

Oh, I beg to differ ;)