squats

Options

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be squatting today. My goal is 100. I'll also do 200 leg lifts.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, the so-called heavies don't actually lift that heavy either.

Oh, I beg to differ ;)

Bah! You know what I meant!

[ grumble ]
    Off to the gym to try and top Loft's numbers again
    [ /grumble ]
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    45lbs is an unloaded barbell. Lol. How is that heavy?

just cause its not heavy for you don't mean its not heavy for them
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Looks like some of you guys should take a hint:

squat-girl.jpg
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form. Squats are awesome, but they are tough to do correctly. There's a lot going on. The good news is there's only one or two main points to really worry about when starting.

1: Don't let your knees go past your toes. You do this by angling your toes outward and driving your hips back.
    2: Keep the weight of the bar over your heels. You should be able to lift your toes off the ground.

Thank you for this!

even tho it's incorrect?

But the tone was nice...

...and that's what matters most in the MFP forums.

"All styles of squatting tend to make the quads sore, more so than any other muscles in the movement. This soreness occurs because the quads are the only knee extensor group, while the hip extensors consist of three muscle groups."

- Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, i squat after a lot of booze.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options

just cause its not heavy for you don't mean its not heavy for them

Quoted for truth. Strength is relative. Tell a 45 lb child that squatting 45 lbs should be easy; it's a bodyweight squat for the kid.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I squat heavy(45 lbs in a backpack) three times a week and started a body-weight squat challenge 6 days ago. So yea, I'm squatting a lot. I can feel my quad muscles more and my bum is getting into some sort of shape. lol

I squat heavy with a 35 pound bar.
    Look at the legs of distance runners and you'll see what lots of reps at low or no weight does for your legs. If that's what your goal is then by all means do lots and lots of squats and I say hooray for you.

If you want your legs to get stronger, ignore all the people who are trying to stroke your ego by calling it heavy, and keep adding weight to your squats so that you can only do 5-8 reps at a time. Body weight squats will not get you very far. And while 45 pounds is more than no extra weight, unless you are a toddler or dealing with an injury it is a small fraction of what your legs are already able to do so it won't get you much farther. Your body will adapt quickly and stop progressing unless you keep challenging it. If you keep adding a little (like 5 pounds) each squat day you should expect to progress to something way bigger than 45 pounds (in the ballpark of your own body weight on the bar) and that amount will do a LOT more for your legs than 45 pounds will.

If your goal is a momentary ego boost of calling something "heavy" then keep doing the same weight. If your goal is a longer term fitness benefit then keep adding to your squat weights. (You will also get the ego boost every time you squat heavier than the last time.)

I don't know why throughout this thread you keep assuming that progression isn't intended. Maybe they are just starting out with the barbell. They never said they weren't adding weight to their squats. Everyone has to start somewhere, except apparently you who started squatting at 350 lbs (That's heavy, isn't it? Higher, lower, what? You seem to be the only one who can define heavy for every person on the planet). *rolls eyes*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This site is mostly dedicated for HEAVY LIFTERS, more so than for those just on losing weight. LIFTING HEAVY is the main topic of the posts, and those who don't lift heavy in the HEAVY'S eyesights may as well not even say anything about what they are lifting. To me lifting heavy is lifting my fat *kitten* up to start my exercises. to me squatting heavy is just me myself and I trying our darn best to do 10 sets of squats with no weights. OP i commend you for being able to to that and share it with us, but the heavies dont think you are doing squat.

How's that working out for you?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Squats are my favorite lift but my bum is still flat :wink: lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I squat heavy(45 lbs in a backpack) three times a week and started a body-weight squat challenge 6 days ago. So yea, I'm squatting a lot. I can feel my quad muscles more and my bum is getting into some sort of shape. lol

I squat heavy with a 35 pound bar.
    Look at the legs of distance runners and you'll see what lots of reps at low or no weight does for your legs. If that's what your goal is then by all means do lots and lots of squats and I say hooray for you.

If you want your legs to get stronger, ignore all the people who are trying to stroke your ego by calling it heavy, and keep adding weight to your squats so that you can only do 5-8 reps at a time. Body weight squats will not get you very far. And while 45 pounds is more than no extra weight, unless you are a toddler or dealing with an injury it is a small fraction of what your legs are already able to do so it won't get you much farther. Your body will adapt quickly and stop progressing unless you keep challenging it. If you keep adding a little (like 5 pounds) each squat day you should expect to progress to something way bigger than 45 pounds (in the ballpark of your own body weight on the bar) and that amount will do a LOT more for your legs than 45 pounds will.

If your goal is a momentary ego boost of calling something "heavy" then keep doing the same weight. If your goal is a longer term fitness benefit then keep adding to your squat weights. (You will also get the ego boost every time you squat heavier than the last time.)

I'm doing bodyweight + 45 pounds. Right? That's what we're talking about here? And we're talking about getting heavier as I get stronger, right? Because that's what lifting heavy means, if I understand it correctly?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

I don't know why throughout this thread you keep assuming that progression isn't intended. Maybe they are just starting out with the barbell. They never said they weren't adding weight to their squats. Everyone has to start somewhere, except apparently you who started squatting at 350 lbs (That's heavy, isn't it? Higher, lower, what? You seem to be the only one who can define heavy for every person on the planet). *rolls eyes*

Exactly what I was thinking! And from her last post, it sounds like that's her plan, progressive training. Poor girl probably wasn't looking for all this attention. :smile:
    Thanks. I know it's not as heavy as others, but I would rather not risk hurting myself and wait until I get an actual barbell bar before challenging myself. A backpack full of 100 or more lbs would probably result in me looking like a toppled turtle. lol.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was thinking! And from her last post, it sounds like that's her plan, progressive training. Poor girl probably wasn't looking for all this attention. :smile:
    Thanks. I know it's not as heavy as others, but I would rather not risk hurting myself and wait until I get an actual barbell bar before challenging myself. A backpack full of 100 or more lbs would probably result in me looking like a toppled turtle. lol.

Correct. I wasn't saying that it was heavy for everyone. JUST ME. Everything would have been golden, had people not decided it was appropriate to attack me, even going as far as to calling me some jack-off who produces crappy Dubstep music because my hairstyle looks similar to his. I wasn't aware that I was back in high school. This is why I tend not to participate in too many discussions. It's not worth the drama and headaches.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

High five and good work. :flowerforyou:

No worries I'm sure numbnuts thinks he is a heavy lifting badass when he squats 300lbs, I know lots of guys that would laugh their @sses off at that being heavy, it's all relative and you are doing great....keep it up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've been doing squats for 20 days and my legs are getting some shape have you been squatting?

Not this week, work has really stepped in and sidelined me. Last week I finally got to 250# for a squat set, but I was blown tired. I almost couldn't finish the 4th rep, and somehow barely got the 5th out. Almost didn't for a minute there right after popping out of the hole.

Legs are getting nice and hard. :) My only reason I don't like squats is that I lack the flexibility to do a low bar squat, so the bar rides high and really hurts my neck. I might start using a foam pad.

ETA - I think I might be a numbnuts, because I think my heavy lifting of 250# squat is pretty badass. That means I can carry a lot of ammo.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form.
    Please don't listen to this, ever. Muscle soreness after lifting is perfectly normal
    I was explaining why 45 lbs is not "heavy" for squats. Just because the other two were obnoxious about it doesn't mean they're wrong.

neither is
    250 or more lbs. :)
    Nice strawman but I never said 250 was heavy either. You guys are so busy trying to find something to be offended by that you're missing the difference between "I'm squatting three times a week and am currently at 45 pounds" and "I'm squatting 45 pounds three times a week." It's the progress (in the former and not in the latter) that makes the difference, and you know it. And like I've already said, unless you only weigh 45 pounds or are dealing with some sort of injury or other unusual circumstance, you should have a very real expectation of being able to progress far far beyond 45 pounds.

If you want to give people bad advice and encourage them to stay at 45 lbs forever, that's on you. I prefer to give people good advice even if they can't see it for what it is, because they aren't the only ones who read these threads.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This site is mostly dedicated for HEAVY LIFTERS, more so than for those just on losing weight. LIFTING HEAVY is the main topic of the posts, and those who don't lift heavy in the HEAVY'S eyesights may as well not even say anything about what they are lifting. To me lifting heavy is lifting my fat *kitten* up to start my exercises. to me squatting heavy is just me myself and I trying our darn best to do 10 sets of squats with no weights. OP i commend you for being able to to that and share it with us, but the heavies dont think you are doing squat.

This site has nothing to do with heavy lifting, it is about fitness.

And those who do heavy lifting fight an uphill battle every day trying to convinvce people that heavy lifting actually works.

I would hardly say that is the mark of a site dedicated to heavy lifters. Maybe you have MFP confused with bodybuilding.com

Yeah, had to double check that MFP hadn't become MHLP. This is as bad as when people think this site is only for people who are trying to lose weight.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Uhm, cause its heavy for her! I just started doing weighted squats in April, and just got to 50 pounds (2 25 pound dumbells). FOR ME that is heavy. Everyone starts somewhere, and the point of lifting heavy is lifting as heavy as YOU can and progressing, not whats heavy to someone else, right??? LOL

I agree! Good for her!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Being that I don't have a barbell bar, and I went from doing squats with a 20 lb dumbbell a few months ago to 45 lbs in a backpack now, I would qualify that as heavy. I work with what I have.

Also didn't ask for snark.

Great job! Keep it up!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you want to give people bad advice and encourage them to stay at 45 lbs forever, that's on you. I prefer to give people good advice even if they can't see it for what it is, because they aren't the only ones who read these threads.

Yup, that's all I do, give people bad advice on lifting.

Also, it wasn't a straw man argument. I wasn't saying you thought 250 was heavy. I don't care what you think is heavy. I was just saying it's light. It's not a straw man argument if I don't care what you think. Then it's just a statement.