Eat Stop Eat..how it's worked for me.

Options
Ok, so here I am, 3 weeks now into this program that the dieticians at our gym, guinea pigged me into. I'm not big on fasting, not at all, I work out hard and I don't want to lose muscle and what about replacing my protein afterwards? I'm just a HUGE skeptic. anyhow, i've been following Brad's plan for three weeks, and the reason I decided to let myself be volunteered is because Brad as well as being a dietician is also a bodybuilder, sooo, thought I'd give it a go. In three weeks i've dropped 2.4 pounds, I'm at 109 and a bit lbs, down from 112, I need to get to 108. Which I will. I can tell you it's the easiest fast i've ever done. Cause I don't feel like i'm fasting. I'm doing it 2x's a week. It's not for everyone, I don't count calories, I eat sensibly the rest of the time, and it's very important to follow some kind of resistance training program to get the full benefit. I actually have a ton of energy on fasting days. I've seen more lean muscle mass lately then i've seen in awhile. I think I actually may adapt this as a permanent way to lean for a competition. It beats the traditional way of dehydration and damn near starvation. I fast from 6:00p.m on the first day until 6:00p.m on the second day, then I eat normally. During the fast, I drink lots of water and no-cal juices. I'm really happy with my results, and for those of you who do fast, and are successful..I actually "get it" now. I'm very surprised to find that i'm putting friends and family through this program as well..it just works so very well. I sound like an infomercial..lol, it's all good, it's working for me! It's a quite simple and effective and safe way to get into a calorie deficit..without pain...the hardest part for me, was giving up my breakfast on the fast day, but then I just ate it for dinner:laugh: .
just putting on option out there for people, it's working for me, not for everyone, especially if you're diabetic or if you plan on doing no resistance training, then definitely don't do it! If you're anti-fasting, as I actually once was, then that's ok too, we're all allowed our own opinions and strategies when it comes to getting those stubborn pounds off. :drinker: I'm happy to say, these few pounds that i've been struggling to get off since May..are gone! and for that it was worth my time.:wink:

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    So which two days out of the week are you doing? I don't know why, but I just want to know. lol
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So which two days out of the week are you doing? I don't know why, but I just want to know. lol

lol..weekends are outta the question, this week, it was from yesterday at 6:00p.m until today at 6:00p.m, i'm getting very used to this and it's not even the least bit difficult to do. I think it's because you don't actually go an entire day without eating. my next fast day will most likely be Monday...I do 2 fasts during a 7 day cycle, my first fast started on a Tuesday. I've had about three glasses of water today, a crystal light popsicle, and a cup of green tea...not hungry yet..:laugh: and I put in 2.5 hours of heavy duty working out... so far so good!
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    wow... interesting.. thanks for sharing!!!
    this is somewhat (in a way) kinda like zig zagging....
    definitely worth a try!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I read positive reviews about this on Skwigg's blog, she is someone whose opinion I respect (http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/). I have not tried it yet but sometime I might!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I read positive reviews about this on Skwigg's blog, she is someone whose opinion I respect (http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/). I have not tried it yet but sometime I might!

I wouldn't spend the 40.00 on the ebook...i'm cheap, it's very easy plan to follow (buy the book though if you want all his scientific proof and such), pick one or two days (not consecutive though) to fast from whatever time you choose until the same time the following day...when fasting drink only no calorie beverages, then eat after the fasting is done, just don't binge, the first fast I did, I was starving, and ate way too much. Today is a fasting day for me, and at 6:00 i'll have my dinner, which is a grilled chicken ceasar salad, then i'll have a snack probably a couple of peanut butter crackers around 9:30p.m...and i'm done, i'm finding that I rarely need the late snack, my stomach is full a lot sooner then it used to be. It took a little time to not go overboard on food once you give yourslef the green light to eat that day, be sensible and just listen to your body signals...you are truly burning body fat...I really wouldn't have put it out there if I didn't see results like I have.
  • lina1131
    Options
    Totally threadjacking, but...

The month of Ramadan (a religious fasting month for Islam) starts on August 11. We fast from sun up until sun down. I will be doing it the entire month. No drinking, no eating, no chewing gum, nada from sun up until sun down.

I wonder how my body will handle this.

/end thread jack.
  • imagymrat
    Options

The month of Ramadan (a religious fasting month for Islam) starts on August 11. We fast from sun up until sun down. I will be doing it the entire month. No drinking, no eating, no chewing gum, nada from sun up until sun down.

/end thread jack.

I think it goes into shock at first, :laugh: but I would take it as an opportunity to lose some body fat...make senisble food choices when you're allowed to eat, make that food count..betcha you could lose quite the inches! let us know how it goes. i have a gf who practices as well, and when she fasts she actually ends up gaining weight, from allthe crap she ends up eating! :laugh:
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This sounds doable and not extreme at all. Fasting is actually something most animals naturally go through. It's usually feast or famine. I am going to give it a try on my heavy workout days and I'll let you know how I fair.

Thank you (again!) for sharing.
  • lina1131
    Options

/end thread jack.

I think it goes into shock at first, :laugh: but I would take it as an opportunity to lose some body fat...make senisble food choices when you're allowed to eat, make that food count..betcha you could lose quite the inches! let us know how it goes. i have a gf who practices as well, and when she fasts she actually ends up gaining weight, from allthe crap she ends up eating! :laugh:

I'll definitely keep you posted. I hope you're right about losing some. It'd be nice considering i'm pretty much starved all day :laugh:
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting. I've never considered fasting and I don't think I'm ready to do it myself ( not yet anyway) but it is food for thought ( forgive the pun). Thanks for yet another thought provoking subject .
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What do you mean no-cal juices?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This sounds alot like zig zagging. I guess drinking water/teas keeps your metabolism going even though you arent consuming any calories?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Not worried about post workout nutrition?

Wouldn't it be better to do a fast day on a rest day?

Sounds interesting for those wanting to lose the last few stubborn lbs.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Not worried about post workout nutrition?

Wouldn't it be better to do a fast day on a rest day?

Sounds interesting for those wanting to lose the last few stubborn lbs.

Ya I would like to know this too!

Also, when fasting do you fast from EVERYTHING but waters and teas??
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    What do you mean no-cal juices?

wondering the same!

I read the following on fastinghttp://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/intermittent-fasting/fast-way-to-better-health/
    one of the questions addresses working out - weights in particular and he says it is okay.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sobe Lifewater Zero is a no calorie juice. I'm sure there are others.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    oh - duh! :embarassed: I counted that as water and not "juice"
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I actually wouldn't pick a rest day to do this, if i'm resting i'm thinking about what to eat, I tend to eat more on a rest day. For me that's a disaster waiting to happen..I don't personally have a rest day, but I have a "light day", 30 minutes of cardio and only an hour of weights, constitutes a light day. I'm always hungrier on these days..weird. I'm only throwing out the idea, not pushing it! I just happened to see results that I did not expect....my brother turned me onto this plan, but it seems to have been around for years...my bro is a pro bodybuilder, plays with the big boys and he does this 2x's a week, he's seen amazing results! I've lost almost 3 lbs in three weeks...I can only imagine someone who is heavier, and I think that a heavier person with more weight to lose would be even more successful being that you didn't binge eat to make up for the calorie deficit that you are creating. Go to eatstopeat.com...and just read about Brad Pilon's background and his credentials, he gives a lot of info without having to download his ebook, which I think isn't necessary, it's a very easy concept to put into use, you do have to resistance train and still have to eat relatively healthy..but you are creating a calorie deficit a different way. Not for everyone, but I got some serious results, the only other time i've had results like this is when I went on a 600 calorie a day diet for 2 weeks to cut 2%body fat, and I wasn't very pleasant to be around....check it out, it's worth a read.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    This sounds alot like zig zagging. I guess drinking water/teas keeps your metabolism going even though you arent consuming any calories?

It's not like zigzagging, it's fasting, you don't need to worry about your metabolism because you're still eating everyday...my fast days now i'm happy with just water, because I know by dinner time I can eat, my portions though have dropped and most of the time I don't even want my late night snack. All I know it works for me. I used to zigzag my calories, now I don't I just eat, I eat healthy and I let my "fast" day take care of my deficit for me...it's win win.