This picture really annoyed me.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't know who the "lazy, gluttonous" girl is or why she'd put a picture of herself in a bikini on the internet, here you go:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20641516,00.html

Her name is Stella Boonshoft, she has PCOS and writes a fat acceptance blog.

^ This

Plus, placing her photo next to the fit couple makes it look like she advocates being unhealthy and not doing exercise. Fat acceptance isn't the same thing as being lazy, and her opinion on the athletic bodies may even be pretty positive...

"Fat acceptance". What exactly is she promoting? That people just not make any effort to maintain their health or to at the very least try to cushion the blow of their medical condition? I understand that there actually are many who have medical problems that have presented a huge challenge for the sufferer. But that does not mean a person cant make an effort, and it does not mean that the rest of us have to "accept" being fat ourselves. It is fat acceptance that keeps America in an obesity epidemic. I don't think that people should attack others as they most often do, but at the same time if someone doesn't swoon at the sight of an overweight person that person should also understand that we all have our preferences.

welp. i guess someone has no idea what fat acceptance actually is.
    Yes, I KNOW what fat acceptance is. But why do people who think that big is beautiful, get their panties in a twist when someone else doesn't think so? You cannot force people to accept what they don't like period. This seems to be the popular way on every similar controversy. You just can't force people to accept what you want them to accept. Further, It is not often I hear an active fat person complain about fat acceptance. It is usually the fat lazy person doing the complaining.

Fat Acceptance isn't a "big is beautiful" movement it's a movement that focuses on people not judging other people's bodies and loving their own, no matter their weight to promote actual health -- not a number on the scale. So no, it appears you don't know what "fat acceptance" is actually about.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Yes, I KNOW what fat acceptance is. But why do people who think that big is beautiful, get their panties in a twist when someone else doesn't think so? You cannot force people to accept what they don't like period. This seems to be the popular way on every similar controversy. You just can't force people to accept what you want them to accept.

The same reason that ripped bodybuilders get their panties in a twist when someone else doesn't think so? :laugh:

Fat acceptance isn't about forcing you to admire fat peoples' bodies, it's just about advocating being non-judgemental. :flowerforyou:

joker.gif
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

But that's just it, the word acceptance is the sticking point for most people. You accept things you can't change. This gives people the impression that anyone who's a part "fat acceptance" movement, aren't planning on ever attempting to change. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the movement's purpose, just the fact that the name will always give people on the outside a very negative impression. It's self defeating.

But you are misinterpreting a whole movement based on semantics. If you don't like the word acceptance, say tolerance instead. Some people do. It's that simple.
  • fit_spired_vicky
    Options
    Jealousity in technicolor
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Im not on either side. I never call hard-bodied people steroid junkies. And I don't call soft-bodied people gluttonous and lazy. But this is just one picture. You'll find many people in great shape ripping into overweight people just the same....it's pretty much a two way street....I think everyone who rips on one body type or the other needs to realize we're all gonna be dead someday no matter how good we look. Looking better or worse will not stop that ol' ticker from eventually quittin on ya! Maybe sooner or later in some cases, but its still gonna happen. So worry about your own *kitten* throughout that period of time! lol
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

But that's just it, the word acceptance is the sticking point for most people. You accept things you can't change. This gives people the impression that anyone who's a part "fat acceptance" movement, aren't planning on ever attempting to change. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the movement's purpose, just the fact that the name will always give people on the outside a very negative impression. It's self defeating.

But you are misinterpreting a whole movement based on semantics. If you don't like the word acceptance, say tolerance instead. Some people do. It's that simple.

My apologies for cutting in here, but I agree with WV. The movement does seem to go beyond tolerance. I'm all about people loving themselves and I think you need to find love for yourself to give you the motivation to put in the effort to get healthier. At least that's what I needed to do. At the end of the day though, being obese isn't healthy and it's not something I wanted to embrace for myself. I can't celebrate it. I can be understanding and polite.
  • peachfigs
    Options

My apologies for cutting in here, but I agree with WV. The movement does seem to go beyond tolerance. I'm all about people loving themselves and I think you need to find love for yourself to give you the motivation to put in the effort to get healthier. At least that's what I needed to do. At the end of the day though, being obese isn't healthy and it's not something I wanted to embrace for myself. I can't celebrate it. I can be understanding and polite.

The movement does not state being obese is healthy.

This is where the huge misconception lies.

Arguments like this are exhausting, because you have picked out something that no one has said and are arguing against it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I'm not misinterpreting the whole movement. I'm pointing out that the movement is giving people the wrong impression. Semantics? Yes but an important one. Poorly wording it only hurts it. It forces people to correct misinterpretations, therefor wasting time that could be spent getting their message out. I'm seriously only trying to help. The movement's mission is great, I'm all for it.
  • BeachIron
    Options

The movement does not state being obese is healthy.

This is where the huge misconception lies.

I see claims about it being "healthy" all the time. And they certainly "celebrate" it with some of the postings and pictures. It's a movement and you cannot claim that everyone in the movement agrees with this very narrow definition that you are using.
  • peachfigs
    Options

I see claims about it being "healthy" all the time. And they certainly "celebrate" it with some of the postings and pictures. It's a movement and you cannot claim that everyone in the movement agrees with this very narrow definition that you are using.

It's not a narrow definition. There is more to it that what I have said, but I'm just debunking this myth about people saying it is "healthy".

Anyone who says that is in a minority and is misrepresenting the movement. This goes for everything. For e.g, not all muslims are terrorists, and so on.

This is my last post because I think you should probably research it rather than look at what people say on here, plus I'm tired of dealing with semantics and straw man arguments all of the time on here.
  • BeachIron
    Options

It's not a narrow definition. There is more to it that what I have said, but I'm just debunking this myth about people saying it is "healthy".

Anyone who says that is in a minority and is misrepresenting the movement. This goes for everything. For e.g, not all muslims are terrorists, and so on.

This is my last post because I think you should probably research it rather than look at what people say on here, plus I'm tired of dealing with semantics and straw man arguments all of the time on here.

Okey dokey then. I have researched it. But meh . . .
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

From NAAFA: http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/education/haes.html
    NAAFA supports the principles of Health At Every Size (HAES). These principles are aligned with our mission of protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. Instead of focusing on weight as a measurement of health, the HAES approach removes weight from the equation and replaces it with a focus on overall well being, which includes the full range of body shapes and sizes.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    8G0pua0.gif
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm! great pictures:). I love potato chips!!!!
    And the original picture just makes me smile:)
  • Teddy_B
    Teddy_B Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That "Fat" girl is actually pretty cute.

However--- I don't get how people can say "You should support her life choice to be fat!" But then down people who have put in hard work to support their own life choice to be fit.

But, then again, I'm fat, and I'm working on becoming fit. Like, I was comfortable in my "fat" body, but I decided I wanted to do things that I'm physically not able to do as a fat person. Like jogging. Or not having a heart attack by the time I'm 50. This is my life choice. I'm not doing it to look better for anyone else, I'm doing it to improve my quality of life.
  • kalidebruin
    Options
    All that matters is if you're comfortable in your own skin! It doesn't matter what other people think, whether you're skinny or fat or muscled or short or tall!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Before locking this thread I removed a great many posts that constitute trolling. Even in chit-chat, coming into a topic and posted irrelevant images, even if they are funny, is a form of trolling that contributes to a topic going off the rails. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.

The forum guidelines includes this item:

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, weight, body-type, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.