HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump so we can all see some more of this amazing thread and hopefully some more of these kick A ladies:flowerforyou:
  • sarahdkurtz
    sarahdkurtz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nice job ladies!!! Thanks for the inspo!
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Been lifting 8 weeks conssistantly. Lost 7 pounds and 17 inches all over. No increase anywhere
  • Ampedette
    Ampedette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Uhh ohh....now I'm interested.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I am going into my 8th? week lifting and While I have seen little scale and measurement changes my body is looking better and I can see some guns and back definition already. I MUST be losing BF%? MY profile pic was last week, and I sure as heck wouldnt have been able to post something Like that 8 weeks ago
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    In again for awesome lifting women!
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would like to start weight training but the problem that I will be facing in about 5 months is that I will be working full time days and going to school for Massage Therapy at night 4 evenings a week for almost a year. Once I start that I will not have the time except for maybe on the weekends. I am NOT going to get up earlier and lose more sleep to work out.

I figure that my best option is to come up with a way to do the You are Your Own Gym bodyweight program at home IF I can do it without family and pet distractions (the cat sees me on the floor exercising and thinks that it is time to play)and IF I can figure out a way to do some of the exercises without buying sturdier furniture.I suppose I could use you tube videos too but I like the ones in the YAYOG app on my ipod.

BTW. You ladies ROCK! It is very inspiring to see your progress. I started out trying New Rules of Weightlifting for Women and it drove me crazy the way the routines had me going all over the gym. I would seriously consider Starting Strength but it is a very difficult book to find. It is available on kindle but I have a Nook.
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • Healthy_fresh_start
    Healthy_fresh_start Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This thread has given me the kick up the *kitten* to join a gym today (well for 3 months at least haha)
    Cant say im not petrified to go into the rather scary weight room though.
  • sarakfra
    sarakfra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am juuuuust starting to work out for the first time since, oh, high school (I'm 33 -- it's shameful). I was once the only girl in weight lifting class, and I loved it. Now, I'm still on machines, and that's mostly because of my own comfort level in the gym (read: intimidation).

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these. Incredibly beautiful and inspiring. Pushes me ever so closer to losing the fear and picking up the free weights. <3
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Before..... After giving birth to a 6 th munchkin

6030453129_1e7ae5172d.jpg
    IMG_2720 by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr

Now ..... Really bulky

8727845047_56848223a9.jpg
    IMG_20130511_085758 by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Now ..... Really bulky

Looking great!

I am just getting started on my lifting, about 2 months in now and can't wait to get "bulky" :)
  • PrettyLilPixie
    Options
    I want to start lifting, but I am intimidated and don't know how to!

^^This is me! Where is the best place to start???
  • rebeccat42
    rebeccat42 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Now ..... Really bulky

You look great! How much time passed between your before and after pics?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Now ..... Really bulky

You look great! How much time passed between your before and after pics?

2 years. I am a slow loser
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Is anybody in this forum interested in friending me to help coach me or provide some much needed information for getting into shape like you ladies? I still have a lot of weight to lose anyway but I would love to look so toned and have as much strength as all of you ladies! I am amazed at you all and you have inspired me but I don't know where to begin on lifting.
  • maxiechild
    maxiechild Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Consider me an example of how "bulky" you can get. My profile pic was taken 2 days ago. It's a little blurry, but I think you get the point. Unfortunately, I don't have any better shots of my physique. I'm kinda shy, but maybe I'll post some.

I've been lifting heavy for over 30 years, and I compete in powerlifting. So if anyone would get bulky from heavy lifting, it would be me. Nope. In fact, I used to compete in the 148-pound class when I was in college, but now I'm in the 123-pound class.

I just had a competition Saturday (May 11). I weighed in at 119.5. I'm 5'4" and 50 years old. My lifts were:

Squat 170 (pounds)
    Bench Press 115
    Deadlift 245
    Total 530

I only got "bulky" when I stopped lifting for a few years and ate ALL the food! :noway: And it wasn't pretty, let me tell you.

Anyway, don't be afraid of getting under heavy iron. Your bones will thank you later! :drinker:
  • aerynth
    aerynth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's not recent (I had two different injuries that put me out of lifting for a year, so I lost muscle and gained 10 pounds back), but this was a combination of a calorie deficit and then heavy weightlifting. You couldn't really see any visible muscle definition except in my legs, but I feel like it's just a further testament that you won't accidentally get bulky as a female lifting. When I suggest lifting weights to women, they always exclaim, "But I don't want to look bulky!" My body type is naturally soft and curvy, so gaining muscle just makes me look leaner rather than hard and chiseled.

ZyGcue7.png

TyRpcxt.jpg

I'm 5'3, and was 200 before and 126 in the after. My highest squat was 175 while I weighed 130, and that was on a calorie deficit, so I imagine it would have been higher if I ate more (which was my plan before I fell down the stairs and twisted my ankle, haha).

Lift, ladies! See how "bulky" I am? ;)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    TyRpcxt.jpg

tumblr_m7b6b8uEoO1rziwwco1_400.gif
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!