So who's upped their calories to lose?

Options

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I started out with 1200, went up to 1400 and just changed it today to 1650. I also eat my exercise cals.

I'm probably going to do the exact same when I've lost 5 more pounds.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals from 1200 to 1330. Kept my cardio and strength training the same, ate back my exercise cals, and lost 1lb in my first week :smile:
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ME!! Lost 7lbs since e/o Jan eating 1800-1900, somedays more, somedays less it depends how loud my inner cookie monster yells at me :laugh:
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 for about 2 months, but increased my calories to 1500 and lost pounds and inches immediately. I have found I have more energy but as a result I can work out a little harder and for longer so I am still netting low calories. I am not hungry (which is amazing since you would have thought I was going to starve to death all those years I put on the weight!) Still working to find that perfect mix for me. Everybody is different, just keep tweaking til you get it! Nobody knows your body better than you! You know how you feel and what your body needs and what it doesn't need! It's all a numbers game baby!
  • timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like MPP ...but I think their calculations r way off, for instance....i have a friend on here who weighs around 140 maybe?...and I am 215, 46, and 5'4 tall, she is 30 5'5 and around 140 lbs. but our calorie intake was set at the same 1200 . THAT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL!!!!!!!. he metabolism is different, age and everything is different. I decided to follow Helloitsdan,...'In place of a road map" I'm still going to remain here on MPP, but i have followed his plan for 3 days now and have already lost 2 more lbs.
  • emarose90
    emarose90 Posts: 52
    Options
    Aah I've just reset my cals as I'm on my stubborn last 10lbs, so have recalculated to do TDEE - 10% instead of 20%.

This really scares me! My mind is still going, "eat less! Eat less!"

But we'll see... :laugh:
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Well for me I upped my by 200 calories daily (from 1200 to 1400) almost 2 weeks ago and lost over 3 pounds. It'll be 2 weeks on Tuesday. I'm happy with that. I might up it again!
  • kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This week I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400. That's the amount that I ate and I did not eat my exercise calories back. There was also one day where I ate nearly 3,000 calories, I did extra exercise to try and burn as much of it as I could . This week I lost 3lb and is the biggest weight loss I've had so far. Upping the calories definitely worked for me.
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Been struggling to just not gain weight for years, been almost constantly on 1200 calorie control with the occasional binges right the way through.
    Decided to try another way, my BMR is about 1400 and my TDE is 1900.
    Decided to try on between 1400-1600 a day.
    Week 1: gained 3 pounds
    Week 2: steady
    Week 3: lost 1 pound
    Week 4: lost 4 pounds!

It actually works!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I bumped up to 1200 from eating significantly under that in previous attempts to lose weight. I don't know if I should up it any future. According to MFP, I will lose about .9lbs a week on 1200.

Many people who have diaries I've seen eat significantly lower than me, but I want to have a plan I can stick to for a while. Meaning, still indulging in foods I love as long as I'm eating balanced meals and not over my calorie allowance.

I don't know if I want to live the rest of my life on 1200 calories a day though. But I'm afraid to gain everything I lost back.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi, can someone help me work out my stats? 53 years old, 5' 8" and weigh approx 220 lbs. the first 20 lbs came off steadily but now I appear stuck and have been for one month. To lose 1 pound a week MFP says around 1570 cals a day. Should this be higher? I do weights and cardio 2-3 times a week burning 400 cals each time. I need a daily cal rate for when I am not exercising and then intend to eat back most of my cals on days when I do. My day job us sedentary. Please help and many thanks!
  • AMorganNJ
    AMorganNJ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about it. MFP says I should eat 1200 calories a day, but I haven't lost a lot of weight eating so little, so I'm thinking of going up to 1300 and seeing if that helps. Anyone else doing the same thing? I have about 5-8 more pounds I'd like to lose.
  • wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did about three weeks ago when I changed my weekly weight loss goal from 1.5 lbs/wk to 1 lb/wk; I think I was at 1380 cal/day before, now I'm at 1530 cal/day.

So far, results are not great - the scale at home and at my doctor's office suggest I've gained 3 lbs. BUT, during that three weeks, I had a long weekend away where I ate what I felt like eating and didn't have many opportunities to exercise and had my period (and I'd only been done for a day when I went to the MD). So I'm a little discouraged, for sure, but I'm not freaking out yet. I believe that my body will adjust.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hi, can someone help me work out my stats? 53 years old, 5' 8" and weigh approx 220 lbs. the first 20 lbs came off steadily but now I appear stuck and have been for one month. To lose 1 pound a week MFP says around 1570 cals a day. Should this be higher? I do weights and cardio 2-3 times a week burning 400 cals each time. I need a daily cal rate for when I am not exercising and then intend to eat back most of my cals on days when I do. My day job us sedentary. Please help and many thanks!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    It says to put it at TDEE-20%=1844 calories and BMR=1676. I would actually custom set the calories at 1710 in mfp, activity sedentary, and log your exercise but give 1 calorie for each activity.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I first started using MFP I didn't fully understand it and thought 1800 was way to low. so i calculated my TDEE and it figured I should eat 2400cal which worked out great till I started thinking I should eat back my calories which was alomost 3000 a day. After seeing the numbers from my body media I lowered it back down to the 1800 and eat back every calorie to keep me at 500 deficit and I'm loosing again. Im back at avg 2400 a day.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was doing pretty well, then stopped losing for a couple of weeks, but then started back up again once I started eating more (I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1400 or so now and have been losing a pound or more a week, which is kind of weird since I'm nearly 5'7" and only 111). I think me drinking a lot more water now has to do with it also. Maybe the water is getting rid of all the bloat I might've had. Beats me. Or I just have a quick metabolism. That might explain why I was able to eat 3000 calories or more daily and never get over 130.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories from 1200 to 1700 back in January and started doing intervals / lifting DVDs. I've lost 8 1bs and feel great. I'm considering upping a bit more... I always question whether I should go up or down 100...
  • FattieBabs
    Options

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    It says to put it at TDEE-20%=1844 calories and BMR=1676. I would actually custom set the calories at 1710 in mfp, activity sedentary, and log your exercise but give 1 calorie for each activity.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    So at 1700 this is 120 more per day than my current logging. So maybe I will try upping this slowly and see how I get on. Thanks for doing this. Looks like I was averaging out for the week around my Bmr which might explain the plateau. That said, hubby commented me tonight on my change in shape (that is a first!!) so the weight training is paying off!
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I increased mine from 1200 to 1600 and feel less hungry and still losing about 1 lb a week ????