Replies

• Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    About the zaps, what they feel like??
  • ficklesoul
    ficklesoul Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about cymbalta causing weight gain. When I was on Cymbalta, I actually lose a lot of weight(because I was losing appetite like crazy!) But then since we're all wired differently, it could be different for everyone. The only bad experience I had with cymbalta was that it was causing me more distress and nightmares lol. That being said I agree that you shouldn't quit taking your meds before discussing with your doctor. I quit taking my antidepressant (voluntarily) once and it put me through a miserable living hell for nearly six months or so. :(

I don't really have much advise to offer but I hope you will discuss it with your doctor and work on a new solution. :) good luck!
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Umm if your having brain zaps you need to wheen yourself off or it can be dangerous.. My brother was on effexor RX did same thing almost died...then they put him back on it to wheen him off again and he committed suicide.
  • kazanshell
    kazanshell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta is not an SSRI. It effects both seritonin and norepinephrine. Wellbutrin impacts dopamine. Also, if you see an MD I strongly encourage you to bring all your vitamins and herbal supplements. They can interact with medicine.By suddenly stopping your antidepressant watch out for increased depression especially suicidal thoughts.
  • sarathrasher12
    Options
    Sorry about your struggle! I have been on several anti depressants for anxiety. I have noticed that I eat less while on them. when I am off of them I tend to eat for comfort. I took Cymbalta when I was 18 and I lost 10 lbs. the first month. I am now on Celexa and although I believe I am not losing as quickly as I did before, I do notice less urge to munch. Maybe ask your doc next time you are in and he may adjust your dose or give you a new rx. Don't get down, just keep at it one day at a time!
  • awaywego1
    awaywego1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am just in the process of coming off cymbalta-was on 90mg now on 20mg. Some of the side effects have been awful, but it has been made easier by reducing slowly recently. I dont think it effected my weight but i was getting some horrible symptoms-too much serotonin in my body i think and generally feeling quite unwell. Good luck with it!
  • Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 pounds in less than a month - no binge eating/anything like that. Cymbalta really hurt me metabolism wise, but I've been maintaining since switching to Welbutrin. Are you going to try another antidepressant?

YEP....^^^^That one you're on.....

I had the opposite effects of what the OP is experiencing with regards to the two drugs she mentions. Cymbalta really curbs my appetite and I have to work at getting my calories.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    wow, for you to have quit cold turkey and only have mild side effects is awesome! I had all of those while I was on cymbalta and worse. I started having aggressive thoughts, thoughts of suicide, emotional meltdowns, nightmares, ringing in ears, brain zaps, vision problems, tingling in my eyes and lips.... I ended up in the hospital because I was having very bad visions and uncontrollable crying for hours. So I had to quit cold turkey and the withdrawals were the same, but magnified by 10! I had to be monitored for more than a week. I couldn't drive for 10 days due to thoughts of running my car off the road. It was the WORST time in my ENTIRE LIFE! I was at my highest weight when I came off of cymbalta but I was able to lose 5 lbs shortly after that. I didn't get serious about weight loss until almost a year later. It has been almost 2 years now since that awful drug left my life and I still have occasional ringing in my ears, trouble focusing, nightmares, and odd habits that I didn't have before I took it. I tried contacting a lawyer but the only class action suits are for the families of those who commited suicide while on it so I couldn't get anyone to represent me without a large up front fee. Also, my dr who prescribed it to me (for fibromyalgia pain, NOT DEPRESSION) made it look like it was simply insomnia instead of a reaction to the drug. If ANYONE knows of any lawsuits out there, feel free to inbox me more info.

ETA: I was on the lowest dose so that's why I quit cold turkey per my dr. and under strict supervision. You should really consider going to a lower dose at first! If you start to have agressive thoughts, please do not be alone or by yourself with children. Call someone to come look after you or go to the dr.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    About the zaps, what they feel like??

It feels exactly how it sounds. It's an extreme tingle (electric shock type feeling) that goes through your head. Mine went from behind my left ear and "zapped" over to the back of my head. It's very uncomfortable and sometimes painful.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    I am just in the process of coming off cymbalta-was on 90mg now on 20mg. Some of the side effects have been awful, but it has been made easier by reducing slowly recently. I dont think it effected my weight but i was getting some horrible symptoms-too much serotonin in my body i think and generally feeling quite unwell. Good luck with it!

What were your side effects?
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Cymbalta isn't a drug associated with weight gain, actually the reverse. Drugs don't make you gain fat, eating too much makes you gain fat.

Sorry, but this is a very ignorant statement. It is well documented that a lot of psychotropic drugs cause weight gain. And no, it's not because a person's appetite increases. Although, it can be the reason in some cases.

Here is one just by doing a quick internet search: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22316639

Oh I'm sure you can find "holes" in this particular study. However, if I actually had the time, I could dig up copious amounts of both strong empirical and anecdotal evidence. Even the drug companies admit it.
  • commissionette
    commissionette Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was put on Cymbalta after major back surgery. I had fusion, two cadavar discs, and seven titanium screws. It was given to me for nerve pain issues. I never had issues with depression. Contrary to most posts here, my doctors told me that it absolutely can cause weight gain as it changes all of the chemicals in your body and messes up signals. It in no way is just because you're eating too much or chosing the wrong foods. What a thing to post for someone who is already having depression issues!!! At any rate, I was on 60mg twice a day and gained 65 pounds over a course of two years. Aside from that the sweating was horrific! I was very fit before the Cymbalta and mortified about what happened while I was on it. One day I googled weight gain with Cymbalta and about died when I read most of the posts. Finally at least I had an answer. So, like you, I did the wrong thing and just stopped taking it without weaning or doctors help. I would absolutely not recommend that. I passed out at Target, no clue why, I was just trying to buy some bread and the whole room was looping around me and I was on the floor. Luckily softly since I would have freaked out if someone had to pick my fat tooshie up off of the ground! A few months after I stopped, my mom died suddenly at age 66 and one of my four daughters was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Needless to say I haven't lost a pound. You hang in there girl, you got this one way or another!
  • arhatfield
    Options
    I was put on Cymbalta end of March. Since then I've gained about 10 pounds, mostly when I revamped my lifestyle in May. Since then I've been working out steady and tracking what I eat. Instead of going down though, my weight is slowly going up.
  • miranda3283
    Options
    SSRI's always cause weight gain for me, regardless of what I'm eating. Was just on a very low dose of Celexa for 2-3 months and gained 15 pounds. Took about 6 months to go back to my normal weight. Ironically I was actually eating better while on the Celexa -low carb, no sugar, etc., and exercising, and the scale was always going up. This last month alone (and 6 months total of being off Celexa) I've been eating lots of takeout, sugar, etc. and I've lost 5pounds (back to my normal weight finally.). The downside is I am much more unhappy mentally/emotionally now. I wish I could feel better without having to accept the weight gain. It really doesn't seem fair. =\
  • Lwhieldon
    Options
    I have to add that Cymbalta is NOT AN SSRI, it is a SNRI meaning that it is a "selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor". Drugs all have their effect by prolonging or shortening the length of time a particular neurotransmitter lasts before it is metabolized. In plainer English, drugs life Zoloft only prolong the action of Serotonin by interfering with the manner in which it is metabolized in the brain, this is called a SSRI. Cymbalta affects by prolonging the action of both serotonin and norepinephrine. (I studied neurobiology at University.) I'm 39, male, and also experiencing weight gain (7 lbs in 3 months) on Cymbalta, however, the benefits grossly outright the negatives for me. I use to be so anxious in social situations, despairing, pessimistic, irritable, angry, and more than anything I was convinced people were judging me negatively (not in any paranoid way I must add). All of those feelings have gone. Wellbutrin and Zoloft didn't work for me. Cymbalta does. I don't know why and my doctor would not be able to say exactly why. I imagine that would alarm many people, but I've studied this academically and worked in mental health clinics and hospitals for nearly 10 years. It's a trial and error process finding the right psych meds. It's about balancing the benefit with the harm (there is always some harm). My advice is to honest with your doctors (especially if your taking illicit drugs too) and always discuss plans to come off. Nothing will shock them. As for weight gain on Cymbalta, my somewhat educated guess is that it increases appetite and possibly slows metabolism in some people, not all. Good luck to everyone.
  • shenaatl
    shenaatl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have gained 27 llb since taking cymbalta in January. I monitored my eating before and after. When I noticed the weight gain, I started eating 1200 calorie daily diets and still gained weight. I am convinced the medication is associated with weight gain despite the information that suggests otherwise. I stopped cold turkey after getting frustrated about my weight. Bad idea! I went through major pain, moodiness random crying and sweating profusely. It was weird. I don't like this drug but it does help me with my pain. Sometimes I think I am going crazy because my body hurts so bad and I can't work out as much as before without it causing major tightness the next day. If anyone found or uses a different drug for fibromyalgia please share!! I'm so insecure about my size and in so much physical pain.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Never stop a med cold turkey. It's terrible for you.

Also, before you take ANY medication, DO YOUR RESEARCH!

I go to the Mayo Clinic's site first. Then for antidepressants, www.crazymeds.us all the way. The author lays everything out in a very accessible way.
  • MsManic
    MsManic Posts: 1
    Options
    I, too, gained 30 lbs on Cymbalta. My appetite went through the roof. Everything I have always avoided like sweets and carbs and things just became like survival to me! My husband said he's never seen me eat like this before. I've always been slim and trim but I had to try different drugs to ease my bipolar symptoms. Now I cannot stop eating. It's so disheartening. I try so very hard to not eat them and even when I go days and days and days without carbs or sweets, I think god who can live like this? Ugh.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    You're going to want to talk to your doctor about this, but I recall hearing somewhere that of the possible adverse side effects, high blood sugars can result from taking Cymbalta.

High blood sugars can cause excessive hunger which can lead to weight gain. You should talk to your doctor.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I take it for my Fibromyalgia...I've had no adverse effects at all. It's helped me a lot. I was on Lyrica previously and THAT made me gain weight. I was eating everything in site with it!