Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    The mind boggles.
    Why would anyone CHOOSE to eat 1200 or less, when you can eat almost twice that and have better results (less saggy skin, not being skinny-fat at the finish line etc).
    Surely 'more food' sounds good to anyone?!?!

^^^This. This is what is going through my head while reading these posts. WHY? 1200 doesn't even give you room to eat a handful of nuts, avocado, and tons of other healthy things in a day. I just don't get it. That is all.

BECAUSE I WAS FULL ON 1200 CALORIES A DAY. WHAT DO YOU NOT GET ABOUT THAT?

Good for you. I choose to fuel my body and build muscle. I'm also very tall and thankful I get to eat more than 1200 calories a day. I like to eat. That's how I got here in the first place, because I like to eat. Now I am learning to eat right and fuel my body.

See there's condescension in this post too. "Good for you. I choose to fuel my body..." Implying that the PP is not eating enough for herself.

Please ppl get off your high horses. Different things work for different people.

Anyways where did this fuelling bs come from? I fuel my body too on 1200 cals - from the cals in the food I eat and from cals in FAT I carry around. That's partly what it's there for.
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

Do you expect your car to run without gas? Do you use your cell phone without charging it? Stop thinking of your body as a number on a scale, and start thinking of it as a machine that needs energy to function. The bottom line is losing weight at 1200 calories is not healthy because a) you aren't feeding it properly b) it's not ideal to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life. The damage it does to your metabolism, and yes the potential harm it can do if your body goes into starvation mode and starts to consume it's own muscle. (Also your period doesn't need to stop for your body to be doing this, I was anorexic and my period never stopped not even when I was 115lbs :D so that's a mute point.) Also talking about muscle and starvation, guess what's a muscle in your body? YOUR HEART :D

I don't know how tall you are, but at my height 115 pounds is not too low. 1700 calories would be too high for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    who are these so called experts? MFP set me at 1,200 calories to lose less than a pound a week. So you think you are more of an expert than the people who made this website?

i think it's perfectly healthy and you're wrong. you can say it all you want, but until i gain the weight back which is highly unlikely, i'm not gonna believe you.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

I also do not think that people realize that the people who made this website are not nutritionists/dietitians. They are developers and entrepreneurs.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    I did this, and like everyone else told me to, it was a bad idea. Gained it all back. Now I eat to fuel my body and never have to starve again. Maybe become educated? talk to a nutritionist?
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1500 a day, whether I work out or not.

I have worked my way down to that line, slowly, and I need to stay on it to avoid gaining weight. I am not super skinny, and I am fairly active. I do however have hypothyreoisis, which means I have to eat medicines to keep my metabolism going, and it's still slow.

I know people keep talking about how you may get anorexia eating this little: If you have a health-issue like mine, trust me, the doctor is totally on board with me eating as I do, and there's nothing anorectic about it. However, I am not a good role-model for a healthy young girl. If you need to eat as strictly as I do in order to lose and maintain weight, then you should make sure you have a chat with your doctor, and have a lot of blood-work done. I take tests regularly, and see my doctor regularly, I am not randomly eating stupidly.

For me, it also doesn't feel particularly restrictive. I am full after a lovely lunch of meat and vegetables - what I do is to avoid nuts, alcohol, quick carbs and chocolate binges. I use very little oil or butter, and I aim for fiber, slow carbs and protein for my calories. This means that I feel full, and I have a healthy and balanced diet even if it isn't calorie-high.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I started here about 2 months ago, put in my height and weight and that I wanted to lose 2 pounds per week and it came up with 1200 calories. I work out everyday and that can vary from 300 to 1200 calories burned each day that I DO NOT EAT BACK. I stick with the 1200 calories that they told me to eat. I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months. I have 40 to go and I plan on sticking with this as I have done to get the job done. When it's time to maintain, I will eat a little more. Prior to this loss of 20, I lost 26 pounds but it took me alot longer because I didn't work out as hard AND I ate more calories. YOU need to find out what works for you. Everyone is different and what works for one person won't work for all. Good luck to you!

Why are people so willing to credit/blame MFP for why they eat 1200 daily...("...because that's what MFP said to do")...but then don't eat back exercise calories? In case people don't know, eating back exercise calories is what MFP says to do too. (Yes, I realize there are other approaches where you wouldn't (such as a TDEE - X%), but those would almost certainly/very likely have you eating more than 1200.)

TL;DR - Cherry-picking pieces of the plan is *not* following the plan.
  • jkelly1198
    jkelly1198 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think people get too hung up on numbers. The number of calories and the number on the scales. I have done this myself. What I LOVE LOVE LOVE abouth My Fitness Pal is that it is a free way to make yourself more consious and aware of what you are putting in your body and what you are doing to work on your fitness plan, It is basic accountability. I have a friend who has lost over 70 pounds, one that uses it to track her sugar intake to control diabetes and one that uses it to make sure she is getting enough calcium. I use it because I want to be able to put on socks in the morning without hating the way bending over feels. There are no rules. You are not standing up in front of a group getting on the scales and taking a beating here. It is only as difficult as you make it. The hardest part is being ready, really ready to take charge. I am lazy so it does take work, but when I can brush my teeth without my butt jiggling, it will be worth the work.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I saw Bob Harper (is that his name?) from The Biggest Loser on morning TV the other day and he's got a new program that is only 800 calories for women. I was floored. Now 1200 does work for me but I'm petite and I eat more on the days I exercise but when I heard that I couldn't believe an "expert" would recommend that to people. That's just a recipe for metabolism destruction.

Because Bob Harper doesn't give a *kitten* about long term success, he needs people to see fast results so suckers think it really does work, BAM money in his pocket!!
  • Mary1NYS
    Mary1NYS Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 calories for 2 years in a row. I would lose 20 lbs in 4-5 months....then end up so hungry that I would gain it all back.
    I yoyo'ed twice and developed gallstones and had my gallbladder removed. Not sure what caused that.

Now I only have about 15 lbs to lose and so I decided to try and do it in a way that I can sustain. I upped my calories to abt 1500-1600..eat back all exercise cals..and started lifting fairly heavy. I have been losing more slowly...a pound about every 10-12 days..
    and strangely enough..out of the blue I just dropped 3 lbs in about 8 days.

I'm 5'9 and 168 lbs....so even though the 1200 seemed like enough at the time..I feel way better now.
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.
    I completely agree. If you want to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life then do it. But as soon as you start eating normal you will gain some of it back. I am (as the person above is also) proof. Why starve yourself when you can eat and get the same results.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it has to be extremes. Why is 1200 the magic number? As everyone who eats 1200 says, it depends on height, weight, sex, and age. So then, why would a 65 year old 5'2 woman needing to lose 30 lbs and a 5'5 23 year old woman needing to lose 15 lbs both need to eat 1200? You don't, but I guarantee you MFP would set you both at 1200. There are plenty of legit websites out there that can help you figure out a number tailored to your own needs.

People who are saying "eat more" aren't necessarily saying "eat 2000 calories." It could just be 200 more calories than what you're doing a day. You'd be surprised what a big difference that can make. Eating more doesn't imply eating more crap, either. There are a lot of nutritious, calorie dense foods out there--even simple things like adding flax seeds/chia seeds to oatmeal, adding nuts or avocado to your salads, etc.

I have lost 27lbs since January, slow and steady. My gross calories are 1700-2100. I'm 5'1, 27, female, 172 now, workout 5-6 times a week but sit on my *kitten* at a desk 8 hours a day. If you workout less, your numbers will obviously be lower.

People who are telling you to eat more really are just trying to help. I did try to net 1200 for a while but I love food too much and was too hungry, so knowing I can lose weight and eat more was pretty much the best thing I ever learned. I'm not going to knock people who will still want to eat 1200, but just know there are other options out there.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!
    I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

Do you expect your car to run without gas? Do you use your cell phone without charging it? Stop thinking of your body as a number on a scale, and start thinking of it as a machine that needs energy to function. The bottom line is losing weight at 1200 calories is not healthy because a) you aren't feeding it properly b) it's not ideal to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life. The damage it does to your metabolism, and yes the potential harm it can do if your body goes into starvation mode and starts to consume it's own muscle. (Also your period doesn't need to stop for your body to be doing this, I was anorexic and my period never stopped not even when I was 115lbs :D so that's a mute point.) Also talking about muscle and starvation, guess what's a muscle in your body? YOUR HEART :D

According to the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization), the average person needs 1800 to maintain their weight so no, eating 1200 to lose weight isn't starving yourself.
  • softglow77
    softglow77 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think it totally depends on your body size and weight, for me to lose 1 lb a week at 5.7" and 300lbs i am to eat 2250 cal a day if im not doing any excersice. Now most days i eat around 1800 because im not hungry, but if i need more, its there, I am losing 1 -2 lbs a week this way. 1200 cal is a very restrictive diet, and will only cause weight gain when you return to normal portions, and will most likley cause you to cheat alot as you will not have what your body needs to maintain its self. Even doctors will recommend no less then 1500 cal for the average woman as a diet
  • ToriKern
    ToriKern Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you stick to 1200 calories a day...where do you go from there? You have to eat to lose!!!
  • jkelly1198
    jkelly1198 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is this a support group or a competition? Wow,. I am confused. Somebody is grouchy and hungry. Grab a healthy snack and go for a walk. Don't be angry and ugly. Life is too short and we are all on the same team here. Getting healty should be making you feel fantastic. If not, do something else.
  • crca2003
    crca2003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    im on 1200 calories and its working for me, everyone is different, do what you feel you need to do, good luck :-)

THIS........ I have also bee on the 1200 calories per day plus some more depending on my daily calories burned during exercise. I haven't felt better! 1200+ calories has been plenty for me. Some days I actually have a hard time eating enough because I stay full ...and the reason is because I eat "healthy" foods that fill me up faster and have low calories. I used to consume about 3000 calories a day :S Only because it was nothing but fast food and junk!
  • annp28
    annp28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am around 1200 calories. I visited with my physician and he felt that this is where I need to be. That being said, some days I am over and some days I am under. If I am hungry I eat. I have just started to change the way I eat. I no longer drink tons of soda, I used to drink nothing else. If I really want a soda I will have one. I am trying to make healthier choices. I am finding that you can have a lot of food on 1200 calories and feel satisfied. I get in as much activity as I can. I have a long way to go and I know I will have struggles. My goal is to just do the best I can. Do what you think is right for you. Visit with your physician. Just don't make yourself miserable. Good luck.
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I knew the starvation people would come out of the woodwork! GRRRRR!
    I have lost 31 pounds eating 1200 NET calories per day. This is not starvation mode, otherwise I would be...starving. I am not. I'm smart about what I eat and make sure I eat nutrient dense foods with enough fat and protein to keep me satisfied (avocados and hard boiled eggs etc) that are worth the calories. I do not eat diet food, cereal, protein bars etc. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit. I run and lift weights. I am not miserable and I'm certainly not starving every day. I have a cheat day every couple of weeks where I probably eat 2000 cals. Otherwise I stick to it. I have defined muscles and I'm in the best shape, physically and mentally I have ever been and I have tons of energy. There is no way I'm "starving" myself or I would think I would feel like *kitten*! I am not a success story yet because I'm about half way to my goal. But I would call losing 31 lbs in 4 months pretty successful!
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You are going to get feedback all over the place on this topic. Even the famous health gurus out there have varying opinions and philosphies...but here is my success and work in progress story...

Yes, I eat 1200 calories per day. And I have been successful. But what is successful? For me, along with weight loss, it was lowering my cholesterol from mind numbing high numbers to perfect in a matter of months. That is success for me. I got an eye opener at age 43 this past January when I was rushed to the emergency room for a stress induced heart attack. While my heart recovered with no problems, and I do not have any heart disease, my cholesterol was high. Well, that experience was enough to get back to it. I didn't want the cholesterol to be the next reason I was in the hospital having a real heart attack. 1200 calories always worked for me because when you eat flax seed, spinach, nuts, whole grains, salmon, like I do....well...it's quite filling.

So...success, yes. I lost 20 pounds since January on 1200 calories. Still have about 18 pounds to go. When I work out I may eat more if I am hungry. But usually I am not so I won't eat. I sit all day at work and a few months ago started working out 30 minutes 5-7 days a week. Usually a Jillian DVD. Soon I will add more lifting and cardio once the kids are out of school and my time allows. Lifting always worked for me in the past. If I am hungry with more working out, I will eat more. However, keep in mind I am only 5' 1" and small framed. And by the way I have maintained nickely in years passed by doing 1200 calories and when at maintainance at 1450 - 1500. I didn't gain weight again over the years because I screwed up my metabolism, rather I made choices to sit around and eat cookies, chips and crap.

Now my choice is health.

Do what is right for you. If you are hungry after trying 1200 for 2 weeks, then it's not enough. Eat. Fuel your body. The people who eat 1600 or even 2000 calories aren't neccessarily wrong. It does work for them. I believe them 100 %. And this works for me.

Be smart, move, eat real foods, and enjoy your journey on being a healthy you!

Bottom line...if you are hungry, eat! :)

Remember, this is a lifestyle, not a diet. That keeps me focused. Good luck! :)
  • puppyfur
    puppyfur Posts: 1
    Options
    12 years ago I weighed 240, at 5'5". Long story how I got that way, but I couldn't stand it. I began working out 1 1/2 hrs per day ( 1/2 hour cardio, 1/2 hr floor exercise, 1/2 hour weights, 6 days per week. I ate between 1200-1500 calories per day. I lost 104 lbs in 11 months, looked as I had before and felt amazing. But, after my goal, the calorie count crept back up and then I stopped counting and over 12 years gained 50 lbs back. I am now 56, began more slowly with walking last September, then in Jan 2013 started to limit food to protein, veg, fruit, small amount of fat and cut the drinking of my beloved red wine and vodka. I have lost 20 lbs since January 3rd, with about 30 to go, and as I am back to weights and floor exercises in addition to cardio (speed walk/ jog) I find I must feed my body between 1500-2000 each day. In another 6 months, I should reach my goal and this time really understand how to stay that way! I do think everyone is different but I would suggest making sure that if you are on the 1200 you find a way to gradually add back some calories to a level that is balanced by your exercise and where you will be less tempted to slip up. Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!