Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• CalypsoNi
    CalypsoNi Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm on around 1000-1200 calories until tomorrow(when i'll start working out and having to eat more). I havn't felt too bad myself but that's probably because of how inactive I am. My job has me planted on my rear almost all day. Everybody is different of course, but typically it seems the less active you are the less calories your body needs I guess? I'm no guru so take that statement with a grain of salt haha.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me figure out what I should be aiming for since MFP has me set to 1200 and I just assumed it was right. If anyone can message me that would be helpful. Have tried websites but I am so confused

Try this, it's a really simple explanation for figuring your calories:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy?hl=leveling+obstacles&page=1#posts-14690973
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!
    I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

Do you expect your car to run without gas? Do you use your cell phone without charging it? Stop thinking of your body as a number on a scale, and start thinking of it as a machine that needs energy to function. The bottom line is losing weight at 1200 calories is not healthy because a) you aren't feeding it properly b) it's not ideal to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life. The damage it does to your metabolism, and yes the potential harm it can do if your body goes into starvation mode and starts to consume it's own muscle. (Also your period doesn't need to stop for your body to be doing this, I was anorexic and my period never stopped not even when I was 115lbs :D so that's a mute point.) Also talking about muscle and starvation, guess what's a muscle in your body? YOUR HEART :D

Not arguing, just have a legit question.. If 1200 is so bad for you, why does MFP tell me to eat 1200? Is it because I'm so short, and over weight, or is it so I can lose weight and then they will alter it after I record my weight loss? I'm confused, I want to get HEALTHY, not lose weight then gain it back.
  • saminmio
    saminmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the 1200 calorie a day plan also. There's one thing it seems no one is taking into consideration - age. I'm 66 years old and I am losing an average of 1 lb a week. When I was 26 I went on a diet and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks and didn't gain it back for 20 years. Well the metabolism and lifestyle have both changed since then. I really am pretty sedimentary but I am working out hard with Leslie Sansone 6 days a week from 30 - 60 minutes with stretchy bands as well as jumping on a mini trampoline. Still it is slow going. Oh I am not starving, in fact I eat way too many treats. I have lost 16 lbs so far and want to lose 22 more. Anyway, when you consider calories take into consideration the age you are. The older and less active you are the less the calories you can eat. If you did the questionaire when you joined they came up with the amount of calories for a reason and one was your age and another your activity level. To all of you who can eat 1700 or 1800 calories - You lucky dogs. I couldn't have cheesecake today but you could have.
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't actually understand how all these people are getting terrible results on 1200kcals. I feel (and look) great!

Come back and tell everyone that in six months.

This, as well as everything SerenaFisher has said. Don't get me wrong, when i started i stuck strictly to 1200 cals and dropped from 150 to 130 over the course of last summer easily. And yeah, during that time i would have argued with anyone that i was doing things the right way, i was full of energy and life, and that i didn't understand why everyone gave people who had that as their goal such a hard time. i started to notice something about six months in to keeping to that goal, however. I started dropping and gaining weight like a yoyo any time i would increase my calories (and by increase i mean even as little as 1300-1400 calories). my body genuinely had no clue how to regulate itself anymore. i started noticing i was sick all the time, feeling feeble and weak and just generally turned into a terrible person to be around. Even worse, i maintained the same weight for quite some time but instead of looking healthy and vibrant at 125 (somewhat of a low weight for my height of 5'6 but still perfectly in the normal range according to bmi and such) i looked sickly, emaciated, and really downright disgusting. I had hardly any muscle to my body. sure, i looked skinny and great in clothes, but the second they were off i truly looked ill. fast forward to now, a year after restricting my calories that low, and i have developed a whole host of medical problems. i definitely would not stand and say that i am certain that all of these health issues are in some way related to this, but i will say that i never noticed them/they were not as prevalent of issues when i wasn't starving my body. i would be willing to say that if any of it is due to an underlying illness (still working with doctors to figure things out) the radical restricted diet i put myself on definitely made every other symptom worse.

my calories on here are still set relatively low (1500), but i typically hit anywhere from 1700-2000 any given day when i feel like it. Even with eating more, im still sitting happily at 125 and guess what? my mood is better, i dont look like ive not seen food in years, and i have the energy to get up and work out and rebuild the muscle that i destroyed before.

not trying to rant or tell anybody whats right or whats wrong. it's your body and you are more than free to choose how to treat it (although as a friend i would urge you to rethink). i just like to provide perspective as someone who thought one way and lived that way with no adverse effects only to receive a big slap in the face down the road later :)
  • yenilopez1985
    yenilopez1985 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    so shocking.. MFP set my goal at 1200 calories, i started getting pretty close to that..have never really gone over my calories and started not working out , then i started working out and not really eating back my calories, but noticed that as days go by i keep consuming less and less calories all this week i have eaten between 600 and 700 daily... am just not that hungry or feel the need to snack anymore and when i do is veggies or fruit, everything in my fridge (that i am going to eat) is fat free, light or lo cal... thought i was doing the right thing specially after losing 6 pounds in 2 weeks i felt great... i guess i got to start eating more and eating back my exercise calories
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    <
    me :smile:

Wishing you great success in your journey to a healthier you!:flowerforyou:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't actually understand how all these people are getting terrible results on 1200kcals. I feel (and look) great!

Come back and tell everyone that in six months.

This, as well as everything SerenaFisher has said. Don't get me wrong, when i started i stuck strictly to 1200 cals and dropped from 150 to 130 over the course of last summer easily. And yeah, during that time i would have argued with anyone that i was doing things the right way, i was full of energy and life, and that i didn't understand why everyone gave people who had that as their goal such a hard time. i started to notice something about six months in to keeping to that goal, however. I started dropping and gaining weight like a yoyo any time i would increase my calories (and by increase i mean even as little as 1300-1400 calories). my body genuinely had no clue how to regulate itself anymore. i started noticing i was sick all the time, feeling feeble and weak and just generally turned into a terrible person to be around. Even worse, i maintained the same weight for quite some time but instead of looking healthy and vibrant at 125 (somewhat of a low weight for my height of 5'6 but still perfectly in the normal range according to bmi and such) i looked sickly, emaciated, and really downright disgusting. I had hardly any muscle to my body. sure, i looked skinny and great in clothes, but the second they were off i truly looked ill. fast forward to now, a year after restricting my calories that low, and i have developed a whole host of medical problems. i definitely would not stand and say that i am certain that all of these health issues are in some way related to this, but i will say that i never noticed them/they were not as prevalent of issues when i wasn't starving my body. i would be willing to say that if any of it is due to an underlying illness (still working with doctors to figure things out) the radical restricted diet i put myself on definitely made every other symptom worse.

my calories on here are still set relatively low (1500), but i typically hit anywhere from 1700-2000 any given day when i feel like it. Even with eating more, im still sitting happily at 125 and guess what? my mood is better, i dont look like ive not seen food in years, and i have the energy to get up and work out and rebuild the muscle that i destroyed before.

not trying to rant or tell anybody whats right or whats wrong. it's your body and you are more than free to choose how to treat it (although as a friend i would urge you to rethink). i just like to provide perspective as someone who thought one way and lived that way with no adverse effects only to receive a big slap in the face down the road later :)

Another one...Very well said.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    None...I am 5'6'', about 140, and I would be STARVING! I only exercised by walking my dog 30 minutes a day...I would end up binging. I upped it to 1400 and I have been doing so much better.
  • kapot
    kapot Posts: 53
    Options
    Did 1200 for a week and it was the worst week of my life. At 5"9 and 173lb, I was losing 2 pounds a day!!. No energy for exercise and felt terribly tired all day. MFP should really dump the 1200 as even toddlers are advised to eat around 1400 cal and they hover around 3 foot. It's madness.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Not arguing, just have a legit question.. If 1200 is so bad for you, why does MFP tell me to eat 1200? Is it because I'm so short, and over weight, or is it so I can lose weight and then they will alter it after I record my weight loss? I'm confused, I want to get HEALTHY, not lose weight then gain it back.

It's not so bad if you're very small, short, older, and sedentary. It's just that most of the people who get 1200 don't get it because it's the best goal for them. It's because they choose "sedentary" even if they're not (I was guilty of this, I just assumed I was sedentary because I was a disabled housewife with no kids) and they choose "lose 2 lbs per week" which is only a good goal if you have a lot to lose (50 lbs or more). If you don't have enough fat reserves to lose that quickly, or you're at least lightly active, 1200 isn't going to be the right goal for you.
  • ValMartin79
    ValMartin79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump to read tomorrow.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the 1200 calorie a day plan also. There's one thing it seems no one is taking into consideration - age. I'm 66 years old and I am losing an average of 1 lb a week. When I was 26 I went on a diet and lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks and didn't gain it back for 20 years. Well the metabolism and lifestyle have both changed since then. I really am pretty sedimentary but I am working out hard with Leslie Sansone 6 days a week from 30 - 60 minutes with stretchy bands as well as jumping on a mini trampoline. Still it is slow going. Oh I am not starving, in fact I eat way too many treats. I have lost 16 lbs so far and want to lose 22 more. Anyway, when you consider calories take into consideration the age you are. The older and less active you are the less the calories you can eat. If you did the questionaire when you joined they came up with the amount of calories for a reason and one was your age and another your activity level. To all of you who can eat 1700 or 1800 calories - You lucky dogs. I couldn't have cheesecake today but you could have.

Well, I just wanted to tell you how pretty you are!
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There is no one best way. TDEE-20% and eat back your excercise. For me that is near 1200. I am STRONG and I have ENERGY because I eat adequate protein and feel AMAZING. If I average 1400 + I gain. Do what is right for you. Eat clean, Move, Breath.
  • jeepcj5
    jeepcj5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have success with eating 1200 calories and keeping it off! I work out 5 days a week, I lift 3 times a week and I feel great! I eat clean (for the most part) and I never drink. I think every body is different and for some 1200 calories is not enough while for others it's plenty. Right now I'm trying to lose my baby weight but usually I weigh 130 and I'm 5'3 which most people would agree is a healthy weight. For me it's not even about how much I weigh but about what I can do and how I feel.
  • kahdxoom
    kahdxoom Posts: 129
    Options

And modest with it.

ditto
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

I am not saying that someone cannot lose and be healthy and happy at 1200, but this ^^^ is a wonderful story, and I hope it clicks with more people. 1200 isn't for everyone, and quite frankly, it isn't for very many.

I was the same. I lost so much in the first two weeks that I thought "this must be right", but I found that my legs felt weak, I wasn't hungry (also something I thought was good), and day-to-day, my Zumba routine was getting more and more impossible to finish. I know you are looking for success stories, and I don't intend on putting you down, but I want to say that I kicked my calories up to 1639 now, I eat back 80% (to allow for error) of my exercise calories, and even though MFP says I will lose 0.7/week, I find that I am usually around 1lb-ish. I am above my BMR, and my body is so grateful: sleeping better, having a wonderful appetite, I am satisfied, and I am not pissy.

As far as your question goes, I lost a lot in the beginning. It was nice to see the numbers come down. 4lbs week 1, 2 lbs week 2. It just was too much for me to keep up with. Kudos if your body doesn't mind it. It very well may be enough for you.

I wish you success, but if you are struggling, you might find that kicking that goal up will still show you wonderful results. Even if they are slower, you want this to be a permanent change, right? Not short-lived. The higher calories let you live a more realistic life. Your friends can call you up for lunch, and you don't have to decline due to calorie shortage.

I hope you get some awesome success stories, but make sure not to ignore the advice of the veterans on here (something I am not pretending to be in my 3 months). Stories, like the one I quoted, are coming from people who have been here for a long time, and they know what 1200 calories does to most people. They know that most of the people quoting success will not be able to say that in a few months; they will have plateaued, or worse, given up. We don't want to see you quit from an unrealistic intake.

When we are posting about not eating at 1200 in a success forum, it is only because we want to make sure that the OP has heard the other side. If they are anything like I was in the beginning, I had no idea there was another option, until I posted something and got responses like this. We don't mean to troll or attack; we just want to make sure everyone knows there are many options.

Good luck :):flowerforyou:
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!

YES ^^^ love you! :)

Same applies to me. Everyone is different, you need to do what feels right for your body. People who were tired etc on 1200...well obviously it wasn't right for there body. I feel great on 1200 a day! Have lost 33 lbs so far. I lost 115 lbs on 1200 a day...only reason im back doing this again is from gaining 70 lbs during my pregnancy.
  • Tanicax2
    Tanicax2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    my trainer at the gym said 1200 is too low 1400 the min so i bumped it up to 1400 ill see how it goes!
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that whilst I FULLY AGREE that 1,200 should be far too low, there are many, many days when I struggle to go over that.
    Especially after exercising.
    I'm simply not hungry enough to eat back my exercise calories and don't feel I should force myself to eat when my body is telling me it's fully 'fuelled'. To me that seems a little counter-productive, so I usually just have something small but calorific, although this also seems a little dumb on a 'diet'
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!