Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't actually understand how all these people are getting terrible results on 1200kcals. I feel (and look) great!

Honestly? You're probably eating more than you think you are. I can't see your diary so I don't know for sure, but people commonly underestimate certain foods that have a lot of caloric bang for their size (nut butters are typically the biggest culprit here). They also commonly forget to log or measure how much cream/sugar they put in their tea/coffee, the condiments and sauces and marinades they use, etc etc. It can account for quite a lot extra.

the other possibility is that you have an eating disorder that makes you feel so good about how great you are at food restriction that you don't actually know that your body feels like crap. Its pretty common for ED sufferers to think they feel great (and then when they actually get healthy they realize that they didn't, they just didn't know what great felt like).
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!

That comment you made about "I'll be there before you" is not what this site is about. Please be respectful and only give positive feedback.
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1200 is sort of hilarious as a magic number. It's like people think it doesn't matter if they're 5' even or 6'2, 1.2K will magically expand or contract for you.

If you are tiny 1200 may be just what the doctor ordered. If you are tall it probably isn't. You might as well ask for 'looking for success stories of women who are five-foot three!'
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In to read about long-term successes.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    it was supposed to be about success stories :laugh:

Take a hint: there aren't that many. Almost everyone will tell you that it is a very unwise idea, and you will look and feel better eating more, while still losing weight at a comfortable, healthy and sustainable rate.
  • KarlDines
    KarlDines Posts: 5
    Options
    1,200 will bring you success but at what cost? Slowing your metabolism and making you constantly watching your food intake, getting paranoid, constantly on the scales. Do yourself a favour and take the advice from MFP when you set it up and follow the recommended calorie intake. I did, I exercise 3 to 4 times a week buying back on average 500 cals, I'm never hungry and I've so far dropped 35lbs (since January). You should not be on a diet, you should be teaching yourself healthy eating habits and a lifestyle that you can maintain.
  • natsthename
    natsthename Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The "I'll be there before you" thing ...SO WHAT! Who says it's a race? 1200 calories is a tough thing to do and still get the nutrition, and I've had more days above 1200 than below. I'm down 11, but before menopause, I'd have been down even more. The pounds just CLING on for dear life after the pause!
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

Do you expect your car to run without gas? Do you use your cell phone without charging it? Stop thinking of your body as a number on a scale, and start thinking of it as a machine that needs energy to function. The bottom line is losing weight at 1200 calories is not healthy because a) you aren't feeding it properly b) it's not ideal to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life. The damage it does to your metabolism, and yes the potential harm it can do if your body goes into starvation mode and starts to consume it's own muscle. (Also your period doesn't need to stop for your body to be doing this, I was anorexic and my period never stopped not even when I was 115lbs :D so that's a mute point.) Also talking about muscle and starvation, guess what's a muscle in your body? YOUR HEART :D

IF you maintain your lifestyle change, PLEASE listen to this woman. She is very obviously educated and wise when it comes to proper eating habits and fitness. I have been at it for 2 years and it took me just until 1 month ago for this lightbulb to go on. Take the advice.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.
    this
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for publicly revealing to the MFP world what kind of person you really are. Saved me some time, and most likely a few strikes as well. Thumbs up.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Something tells me you won't stay there for long.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

LOL! Yes you will! (and you'll probably gain it all back before I get there too, but whatevs)!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different..age is a huge factor..eg 20+ ago I lost 21 lbs eating around 1000 cals a day..it was stupid but MFP didn't exist back then...I was successful, but I was always hungry which sets anyone up to fail! I've been yoyo-ing ever since, my metabolism is rubbish, or it was, I should say! (loads of exercise has sorted that)

Fast forward 20+ years ...been here for a year now and finally am having success for the first time ever, I know I'll never regain those pounds lost, yes its slow but its happening and I eat loads! 1400+ cals a day now and am aiming to increase that to 1600..oh yeah! I lose slowly but my journey has been great and I'm the fittest I've ever been in my life :)

Each to their own but really folks one of lifes greatest pleasures is the joy of food and for me thats enjoying everything in moderation :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez. If someone wants to eat 1200, let them. We all have to make mistakes and learn from them, you are not going to change anyone's mind, just as they will change yours. Personally, 1200 is not enough food. (It also seems to be a "magic number" here on MFP...1200? You die. 1300? You're golden. :huh:) I eat 1700 calories a day and it is just enough for me. Sure, I could eat 1800 and still lose, and sometimes I do eat 1800, just as sometimes I eat 1600 or 1500. If 1200 is enough for you, you don't feel hungry, tired, *****y, etc. and you look good, and feel good, great. Come back in 6 months and let us know where you are.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have followed mfp for 500+ days. I net 1200 cal. I eat 1500-2200. I eat until mfp says 0 calories remaining.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

That comment you made about "I'll be there before you" is not what this site is about. Please be respectful and only give positive feedback.

Also usually not what this site is about. Sometimes people need negative feedback (though, ^^that isn't it. That just sounds like someone who is hangry.)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Why when the OP is asking for successes eating 1200 do we have the usual suspects coming into the thread to tell us how bad eating 1200 is. If you don't or haven't had success on your bike. Geeze.
  • Marrisa188
    Marrisa188 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A few things, first, obviously 1200 calories works for some people without loose skin. Hell, I've known people that were big, developed an eating disorder and were probably eating around 3-400 calories without loose skin. Some people have loose skin, some don't. It's not solely dependent on how fast you lose.
    Second, the contestants on the biggest loser eat 1200 calories and they don't always have loose skin and they look and feel great.
    Lastly, when you guys gang up on the ONE person arguing, (admittedly not very humbly), you seem just as immature and it's hard to listen to what you're saying or care.
    K THNX BYE
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

lolz
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    if it works for you then go with it, dont worry about what other people say :tongue:

exactly!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!