can u lose weight eating cheese?

Options

Replies

• skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If eating cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right!

^^this. There is no way I can give up cheese. I've tried...that didn't go so well.

Moderation.
  • hock145
    hock145 Posts: 6
    Options
    I eat cheese too. My doctor says it is fine as long as it is in calories goal. :happy:
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love cheese!

I make a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner at least twice a week, and I've lost weight!
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    k-bigpic.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I need to stick this picture on my fridge hahahaha
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple of ounces of cheese nearly every day and I'm probably in the best shape of my life and my cholesterol is really low (which is a big deal for me). I watch my carbs, when I eat starchy food, I try to pick the healthiest stuff (ie whole grains, sweet potato vs. white potato), I try to avoid sugar except for the occasional tiny treat, and I exercise a lot.

I'm a big believer in everything is fine in moderation (including moderation).
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Cheese and other dairy products can help kick-start your metabolism,

How so?

Does my metabolism even need kick starting??
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Brie with grapes, Cheshire with pears, Cheddar with onion, Feta with salad, goats cheese with beetroot, Philadelphia with Cadbury's slathered on a cinnamon and raisin bagel.

I pity the fools who don't eat cheese....:cry:
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not velveeta or other processed to crap cheese, then it's fine. Cheese can be a source of fats, and a calorie boost when you need it. I love cheese (I have a Cheesus Christ grater, no lies), and I've just learned to have it in moderation, and this also lets me enjoy it more.

Whoa there, cheese classicist! Let's not bash my beloved Velveeta. Just because it doesn't have the fancy pedegree of some of those "real" cheeses, doesn't mean it isn't niutritous, tasty or good for you. I like my aged raw milk Stiltons, Cheddars, etc., as much as anyone, but Velveeta still has a place in my heart....and my grilled cheese sandwich.

A little Velveeta History courtesy of Deeny's Simple Joy blog:

"First off lets get one thing straight, Velveeta is real cheese. Every kind of cheese is a processed milk product. Some cheese is just more processed than others. Does that necessarily make it bad? I don''t think so.

What makes Velveeta different from cheddar? Regular cheese is made by introducing bacteria into milk, then letting the milk solids curdle. The solid curds are kept to make the cheese and the liquid that is left over is called whey. Whey contains a lot of nutrients but is discarded when making other cheese. In 1928 (yes Velveeta has been around that long) Kraft found a way to put the whey back into the cheese keeping all the extra nutrition from the whey that would otherwise be thrown away. They called this cheese Velveeta. It was created to be a more nutritious cheese."

In short, you can lose (or gain) weight on ALL kinds of cheese, even processed cheese. Whether or not you actually want to eat processed cheese is, of course a personal preference and a matter of taste, but I loves me all kinds of cheese and Velveeta has it's applications.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just like everything else it is not what you eat, it's overindulging! In other words portion control, doesn't this make it even better because it is a treat then? Dairy is something I limit because I could kill myself on cheese, and ice cream. I enjoy it, but since I cut down animal fats (for my son, and husband who both have high cholesterol) I try to save my allowances for splurge days! Most days I stay away from it, and I think, at least for me, I feel better without it always in my life. I have to give a shout out to some very good substitutes: Dayia, Almond Milk, Earth Balance spread, and Veggie Slices
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you can lose weight eating pretty much anything as long as you are within your calorie limits. However, it doesn't always mean it is healthy for you.

I cut out milk completely and replaced it with Almond Milk. I have tried to cut out cheese, I don't eat eggs either. I may be one of the rare breed that thinks that the China Study makes sense and animal products are just not healthy for us. Some in moderation I think would be fine. If I can cut out meat completely, I will.

With that being said, in the past I used to LOVE babybels and string cheese. I think they make a good healthy snack, are high in protein and calcium and are delicious. Plus, they are both portion controlled.

Like I said up there, as long as you are within or under your calories, you'll be just fine.
    I have to give a shout out to some very good substitutes: Dayia, Almond Milk, Earth Balance spread, and Veggie Slices

Be careful with some of the substitutes like veggies slices or butter spreads. They can be LOADED with hydrogenated oil. Some of the first ingredients are oil for a lot of products. This would be counterproductive IMO.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am having cheese with lunch today feta mmmm.. and again with my snack... smoked gouda.. mmmmmm

now I can't wait for lunch!!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I really love cheese, especially the rich texture of brie/camembert its an easy snack w some whole grain crackers, fills me up for hours and is very satisfying. As long as I keep it within my calorie limit and portion it out, can I still lose weight if I eat it everyday?

The kind I eat per oz is
    95 calories
    7g of fat
    6g protein
    0 carb
    120mg sodium (8%)

I usually eat 2 oz for breakfast.

I hear so much buzz about cheese and dairy being "bad" an anti weight loss. There are just so many gimmicks sometimes its difficult for me to know what to listen to and not.

I eat cheese every day. Even though my weight loss is slow, there is nothing to suggest it would be any faster without it. There have been some studies which suggest that full-fat dairy has a very high "satiety" profile and that those who eat it are less likely to regain lost weight. I don't eat red meat (it seems to cause a "flare" in my arthritis) so cheese is an indispensable part of my meal planning. The type of cheese that I eat is a raw milk organic cheddar.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I just have to share that I've had Leerdammer, parmesan and blue brie today. Oh, and soft cheese with chocolate. Today was a light cheese day :wink:
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and it's so low carb it's a perfect snack food. I eat it almost daily. I have lost over 100 pounds, so it has never effected my weight loss.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Of course you can! You can lose weight eating anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    A reduced fat cheese is great.............

37890154.jpg
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple oz of cheese every day and am having no trouble losing weight. I love cheese! I refuse to give it up.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I can ...cheese, ice cream, chocolate and red wine daily ...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day, and I'm losing weight steadily, so, YES. Don't deprive yourself of cheese.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I just ate like a pound and a half of cheese. It's good fuel.