Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am also eating 1200 calories a day and have had success. I have lost around 10 pounds so far and want to lose another 20 pounds. I think the key is eating healthy calories (ex. lean meat, vegetables, fruits, etc.). Also, I have been exercising and I don't always eat the extra calories I get from it. If I am hungry I do, but if I am not hungry I don't. I think everyone is different and if you can handle 1200 calories and still have energy then you will be fine.

Me too. It works for me and has for the last 2 and a half years or so.
  • princyasanka
    Options
    hi guys my name is princy im 5"6 weight 181lbs want to lose at least 45lbs by november my "wedding" my bmr is showing 1680 ...mfp says i should eat 1460 calories.. to lose 1lbs a week..?I burn about 200 cal by exsercise.. i used to eat all fast food and all and maybe i was eating around 3500 cal a day..As of april 20th i started to eat only 1350 cal a day ..how would u guys advice me to lose weight..?how would i do the 500 deficit if i only eat no more then 1350+200 burned cal a day..can anyone guide me pls pls.......thanks in advance
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    hi guys my name is princy im 5"6 weight 181lbs want to lose at least 45lbs by november my "wedding" my bmr is showing 1680 ...mfp says i should eat 1460 calories.. to lose 1lbs a week..?I burn about 200 cal by exsercise.. i used to eat all fast food and all and maybe i was eating around 3500 cal a day..As of april 20th i started to eat only 1350 cal a day ..how would u guys advice me to lose weight..?how would i do the 500 deficit if i only eat no more then 1350+200 burned cal a day..can anyone guide me pls pls.......thanks in advance

Hi. You should start a new thread, you're more likely to get help that way rather than in someone else's thread :) try the 1350 and see how it works for you. Eat back your exercise cals.
  • lisididi
    lisididi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I want to start with :" I do not stick to a 1200 calories thing" but what I do is to eat lots of filling foods!
    i eat everything from rice to pizza. If I am having a cup of rice, I am certainly throwing a cup or more of mixed vegetables or a salad on the side. The good thing about it is without really paying attention, though I do exercise 4-5 days a week (insanity..er or P90X..er type), i am usualy under my allowance.
    I think MFP limits my sugar intake too tight, so i completely do not pay it no mind and have 3 to 4 fruits a day.
    I like real food so sweeteners are completely off the table. I do not lose weight incredibly fast but it is slowly coming off and I am happy. I refuse to starve ...not happening so work harder when I want my pastelitas, pizzas, margaritas, tostones, and all the no nos...
    If I had to restrict myself to 1200 calories a day, I think I would be depressed and starving most of the time so NAYYY!!!
  • hollymodified
    hollymodified Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My body won't let weight go at 1200 calories a day. And I am about 115 lbs overweight. I am quite active now though, and if I am not feeding my body the foods it needs I won't drop weight. I agree, you need the energy, but the good kind. You need to eat as clean as possible. I still enjoy the occasion treat, this is a lifestyle, not a diet. This has to be a life time commitment, and if I am depriving myself I won't stick with it. We were designed to enjoy good foods, but we were also designed to work hard, and with today's lifestyle most of us need to get that work from working out. There are days I burn a lot of calories, and just can't get them all in. And there are days I can get all the calories in. Basically I eat as clean as possible, I don't let myself get hungry, if I do get hungry I eat. But I try to never eat less then 1400 a day, But I usually eat at around 1800.
  • mrsb0223
    mrsb0223 Posts: 7
    Options
    MFP has my daily limit at 1200 calories. If it's so terrible why does it suggest that?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight, but wanted to lose some pounds that crept up. I lost 5 pounds in 30 days doing an Intermittent Fasting program called Fast 5 (you eat during a 5-hour window) and staying at 1200/1150 most days.
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It just cracks me up how people think the body works according to some a mathematical formula for all people, all the time in an absolutely predictable way. What is the magic #? 1200 bad? 1201 good?

It cracks me up even more the people who think they are quoting science -- no matter what point of view they are arguing for -- as if you can't find some source that will support your view no matter what view you have.

Someone should start a 1201 calorie thread, asking for advice, and see what happens.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    MFP has my daily limit at 1200 calories. If it's so terrible why does it suggest that?

I often wonder this too, but it still seems inhumane and I lose on 1800 so I don't really look the gifthorse in the mouth heheeh
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    So sick of these posts. Go the search button and type in 1200 calorie. Skinny is not more important than healthy. I'd rather eat my 1800 and lose slowly versus my body cannobolizing.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I often wonder this too, but it still seems inhumane and I lose on 1800 so I don't really look the gifthorse in the mouth heheeh

The 1200 number that MFP gives out is BARE MINIMUM and is "NET" calories. So if you exercise and lose 300 cals then you need to eat 1500 to "NET" the 1200 cals that MFP puts out.

Best is to try the TDEE method and take away the confusion of how many calories to eat/day.
  • mrsb0223
    mrsb0223 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm eating what MFP tells me, 1200 a day in order to lose 2 lbs a week. I definitely eat back my exercise calories, but what confuses me is that I still would like to lose 60-70 lbs so how is that going to work when I can't drop below 1200 according to MFP guidelines. I don't get why I'm already at 1200 calories a day but nowhere near my "goal". I guess I'm confused. Any suggestions.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

I got curious what a higher daily calorie diary looked like ~ yours was open so I looked. Honestly I felt hungry reading it, despite being about 1000 more daily calories than me. Mine is usually around 1200 and if you take a look at my (open) diary I trust you'll see I am NOT starving. I am "eating normal" (for me) too. I believe I eat well-rounded and (mostly) healthy.

I read another open diary from another poster in this thread who explained they disagree with 1200/day ~ again it was not a food menu that I would personally find satisfying (nor particularly healthy IMO).
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm eating what MFP tells me, 1200 a day in order to lose 2 lbs a week. I definitely eat back my exercise calories, but what confuses me is that I still would like to lose 60-70 lbs so how is that going to work when I can't drop below 1200 according to MFP guidelines. I don't get why I'm already at 1200 calories a day but nowhere near my "goal". I guess I'm confused. Any suggestions.

Read this link and it should help clear out some cobwebs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • leebeebumble
    leebeebumble Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ME! Me! I had success on 1200 cals a day!

..If you define 'success' as: "losing muscle mass, developing a flat, saggy *kitten* that looked like melting wax, was always tired, and couldn't manage even one pushup", that is.

I am only 5 ft tall, and my BMR is 1280. So unless you're like 4'6" you have no reason to be eating that low.

Oh my gosh! I laughed so hard I nearly cried! Love this! The image of wax butt will haunt my mind forever!
    I had this awesome site figure out how much I should be eating and it is 1330 I believe a day. Some days I walk and burn about 350+ cals, some days I don't. I don't feel I'm starving myself and I don't feel like I'm eating loads of stuff. I'm eating healthy, though my sodium could be higher. If you're exercising 3 hours a day and eating 1200 cals, you might have issues. I think everyone has that internal alarm that said, Hey buddy time to eat! Make sure you listen to it and grab something healthy!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Go with what feels right for you. Me, personally, I'd die on 1200. I get crabby & just go off the rails. Take each day as it comes, some days you will eat 1200 & other days you might be extra hungry & eat 1500. It's not a race. Good luck
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

It takes time to lose weight. You don't need to keep lowering your cals when they're already that low.
  • lnitschke120
    lnitschke120 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been on several 1200 calorie starvation diets. One was Weight Watchers. I did the math, and my points added up to 1200 calories. Unless I ate back my exercise allotment, I would starve. If I didn't exercise and eat the extra calories, I didn't have enough energy to get off the couch. Then I tried Ideal Protein. Another starvation diet. 1000 calories. I had to have my meals within a few minutes of the planned time or I would have a melt down. I tried many others, and oddly would get a two pound loss on the scale after a pig-out on ice-cream or something similar. It led me to believe that my metabolism was so slow that getting a few extra calories allowed it to rev up and burn off some calories. I am pretty happy with this program, and as long as I don't go over my extra workout calories, I don't worry about it. I am more concerned about getting strong and healthy than losing weight. And I will quit any diet if I feel like I am starving. Theres no lasting power in that. If I don't lose weight for a few days, I just examine what I've been doing and try to make corrections. Like yesterday, I was really hungry and ate a lot of nuts. I was also too busy/tired for a cardio work out. So I gained a little. Today, I'm back on track, had a good cardio work-out, and ate healthy. Looking forward to long-lasting results. I'm just exited that the scale is moving again. And I'm working out again!
  • sarahz1442
    sarahz1442 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So sick of these posts. Go the search button and type in 1200 calorie. Skinny is not more important than healthy. I'd rather eat my 1800 and lose slowly versus my body cannobolizing.

I'm perfectly healthy after my 1200 calorie diet. sorry to disappoint you.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

I got curious what a higher daily calorie diary looked like ~ yours was open so I looked. Honestly I felt hungry reading it, despite being about 1000 more daily calories than me. Mine is usually around 1200 and if you take a look at my (open) diary I trust you'll see I am NOT starving. I am "eating normal" (for me) too. I believe I eat well-rounded and (mostly) healthy.

I read another open diary from another poster in this thread who explained they disagree with 1200/day ~ again it was not a food menu that I would personally find satisfying (nor particularly healthy IMO).

just looked too. i see froot loops, some healthy choice crappy frozen dinner, mcdonalds and bud light. i feel sick just reading that. mcdonalds is so disgusting. haven't eaten there in years and have desire to. there is nothing healthy about that diet. hilarious that someone like that is giving me advice.

Considering the OP of these has had amazing success with how she's eating, I think she probably knows what she is doing. She offered her opinion and didn't insult anyone in the process. Also, she wasn't giving you this advice, it was directed to the OP, not everything is about you, sweetie :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!