Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Orgasms before bed time really help aid sleed. As does Melatonin
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    @jonnythan -Hey man, I'm no doctor but take a chill pill. I'm all for freedom of speech and everyone has and is entitled to an opinion but you seem a little OCD about this...I think you have gotten your message across loud and clear. Breath, relax and maybe use the time for exercise...just saying.

But if you think this is a good way to spend your time go for it, totally happy for you if it makes you happy.

and people don't forget when you are telling it the way it is or isn't look at the bottom of the page because...
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

When backed into a corner, condescend and cheerfully insult.
    What corner? just suggesting you relax

condescend?No not really, just genuinely think this topic has you fixated and is making you angry.

Cheerfully Insult?Just giving you some suggestions like breath,exercise and even saying happy for you if doing this makes you happy.

The OCD and Chill Pill comments were meant as light hearted attempts at humor but you have obviously taken it the wrong way.

Finally the remark about looking at the bottom of the page even reaffirms some of your statements as well as other peoples

Cheer up dude
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    don't know what others have said but valerian root which is a herb works wonders for help sleeping and not a single side effect!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    We had many reps like that - there was one that every Friday brought in Starbuck's for the office and the doctor - didn't really see the doctor that often, but brought it in and dropped off stuff for the staff and make sure we had all the samples we needed. Those kinds of things slowed down when they put more regulations on what the reps are allowed to do. But was really nice for those patients that needed the medicine and couldn't afford it because insurance wouldn't cover - samples were a blessing for many a patients. I worked in the offices about 3 years ago and it was still going on. But I worked for incredible doctors who's main interest was in the patients care and well being.

Something else I saw a lot with the samples was that the docs would give them to patients to try out and see if they worked out. If the side effects were too bad or the meds didn't do what the patient needed, the docs would try something else. I have had that experience as a patient, as well.

Doctors are not evil money-grubbers, in general. There are certainly bad doctors, but most of them really do want to give their patients the best care they can.

And I just don't buy into the "evil pharma" thing. Sure, there are things that you can treat without prescribed meds. But at the same time, if these herbal, holistic treatments worked so well, why did people die of things like strep throat before we had penicillin?

It takes a lot of money and time to develop a single drug. A lot of these drugs save or at least improve or prolong a LOT of lives. Anyone who doesn't get that is simply willfully ignorant. Like was not peaches and roses when it came to health before pharmaceutical companies.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    But I'm not sure that hypothyroid folk can/should take it.

The reason why your doc prescribed an antidepressant is likely because, waking after a few hours of sleep and being unable to get back to sleep is a "symptom of depression".

He's (and even female docs often believe this) been trained in medical school that most women are depressed most of the time.

Are you freakin kidding me?

Seriously?

You should be banned for posting this bunk.

Good thing you aren't a mod here. What is your beef? It is true, you know.

On the first advice, I was speaking of melatonin. It is true that some natural health practitioners believe that melatonin should not be used by hypothyroid individuals. It is also true that waking after a few hours and being unable to get back to sleep is considered to be a symptom of depression. And finally, it may have changed somewhat due to the number of women attending medical school now, but it wasn't very long ago that practically any symptoms reported by a female patient, that couldn't be immediately diagnosed as being tied to a specific physical ailment, were assumed to be from a psychosomatic origin--specifically depression.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    don't know what others have said but valerian root which is a herb works wonders for help sleeping and not a single side effect!!

Rare cases of liver damage and death have been reported. That's worth mentioning.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    @jonnythan -Hey man, I'm no doctor but take a chill pill. I'm all for freedom of speech and everyone has and is entitled to an opinion but you seem a little OCD about this...I think you have gotten your message across loud and clear. Breath, relax and maybe use the time for exercise...just saying.

But if you think this is a good way to spend your time go for it, totally happy for you if it makes you happy.

and people don't forget when you are telling it the way it is or isn't look at the bottom of the page because...
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

When backed into a corner, condescend and cheerfully insult.
    What corner? just suggesting you relax

condescend?No not really, just genuinely think this topic has you fixated and is making you angry.

Cheerfully Insult?Just giving you some suggestions like breath,exercise and even saying happy for you if doing this makes you happy.

The OCD and Chill Pill comments were meant as light hearted attempts at humor but you have obviously taken it the wrong way.

Finally the remark about looking at the bottom of the page even reaffirms some of your statements as well as other peoples

Cheer up dude

I second this. Should we be worried about you, Jonny?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    When you have no logic or facts, just imply that the other person is disturbed or angry.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    When you have no logic or facts, just imply that the other person is disturbed or angry.

Relax---it is an internet forum--opinions which you do not agree with, happen. Unless you are elevating yourself to god-like status, your opinion is no more entitled to be heard than that of anyone else. Your posts don't seem terribly logical or factual. They just appear to be attacks to me and to the other poster(s) as well.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely the lunches do much to cause bias, as they all do it. Many offices have a set day when different companies come in and provide lunch. One Wednesday is not so different than the last. Someone will bring food. Don't bring lunch. In my opinion, it's just a waste of money that gets transferred to the consumer. They do it because they all do it so they have to keep the playing field level.

They can't provide all those office incidentals with their names all over it anymore. (I think they did that more so patients would see them and ask about them.)

Whether or not OP's doctor was right or wrong in prescribing the med, none of us knows, only OP can go back and ask what the deal is. But if the doc wanted a kickback or was operating due to bias from lunches, there are much more recent and sophisticated and pricy, flashy meds for sleep than the med prescribed to OP, including ones that are actively and presently being marketed to docs through lunches.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Rare cases of liver damage and death have been reported. That's worth mentioning.
    just don't OD on it and you will be fine!!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

just don't OD on it and you will be fine!!

<Backs away slowly>
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    And trazodone is less addictive than the others out there, ambien, lunesta, etc.
    This.
    Stop panicking. It's a very mild drug almost never prescribed anymore as a main anti-depressant b/c of the sleepy side effect. It's now mainly prescribed as a sleep aid.

what she said. trazodone is a lovely sleep aid. i've used it on occasion with great relief. if you are worried, dont take it. i dont take anything i'm not comfortable with.
  • blmurphy37
    blmurphy37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great choice!!! I have a HORRIBLE time sleeping, it even takes me 4 hours some times of complete darkness and quite to fall asleep, I've been doing yoga before bed and it helps alot! I try to do more relaxation poses but its relaxing and soothes me!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    google melatonin, it is used as a sleep aid and is natural, maybe it is an alternative for you.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview

I asked about this and she said over the counter meds were not as safe.

I've been very pleased with the doc and the care I received up until this point that I didn't think to question it. The drug was Trazadone.

then your doc is a moron....... melatonin is beyond safe...

I agree. My sister used to have trouble sleeping, so she took Tylenol PM every night. Her doctor told her she had to stop because it wasn't safe to keep doing. So my sister started taking melatonin and didn't have any issues at all.
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    And trazodone is less addictive than the others out there, ambien, lunesta, etc.

The only problem I ever had with 'Trazzies' were the NIGHTMARES ... and this is common. My sister takes Trazodone with no problems for sleep issues, and it puts her right to sleep, and she sleeps throughout the night and awakes with no adverse effects. I take Ambien myself and have no adverse effects, despite the recent warnings about the drug. I have gone off and on it repeatedly ... but Ambien has consistently been consistent :-) about giving me a good nights sleep (and I don't wake up with residual effects). I do agree that Trazodone is less addictive ... in my case it was because I couldn't stand waking up crying or in a cold sweat, not knowing where I was or what was and was not real as the dreams were so realistic and frightening.

In the 3-4 years I was on it, I never had nightmares, but I will admit I'd wake up sweating often. Keeping an overhead fan on low at night helped that tremendously.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    zzzquil. Won't make you suicidal. Will make you sleep.
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    the dr i worked for did the same thing but i would always explain it to the patient if the dr didnt..he thought people would abuse the ambien and whatnot..if you could see the things i saw behind the scenes at the clinic you would never go to dr..most nurses and drs made fun of patients everyday esspecially the weightloss patients my dr would have us give patients such a smmall dose of whatever injection they needed so when they felt better he could say its in there head..last straw before i quit was the nurse giving me a shot of normal saline instead of hormones for my menopause..they thought it was quite funny..for those that dont know thats a shot of water! 2 of the 5 drs quit because they had morals..so sorry your dr wasnt upfront and honest or the nurse! you might try over the counter melatonin its natural and safe
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    just when i thought this thread finally went away it gets bumped. ughhhh. honestly just the title of it is disturbing. it should be retitled.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Uh, many antidepressant, antianxiety, and mood stabilizing medication has a sedative effect, and even in the ones that don't, they can assist with insomnia and other sleep issues/disorders. It's not about the doctor getting something from the big drug company. In most US hospitals, actually, drug reps aren't allowed to bring doctors expensive gifts or take them to expensive restaurant. Around one of the local offices, one woman got in trouble because she gave a doctor too many pens.

If you're okay with taking medication in the first place, deciding NOT to take it because one of the uses doesn't apply to you is incredibly silly.