stress
alcohol
emotional eating
didn't care about my health or what i looked like
liked feeling stuffed

Replies

• _castiel
    _castiel Posts: 30
    I got fat because I'd been a swimmer/ runner, but when I started Sixth Form I basically cut out all exercise and stress ate because of exams. So annoyed at myself.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    I ****ing hated my mother ****ing miserable life....
    But guess what I love myself now and life is AMAZING!!!!
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    HunterKiller_wechange2 Posts: 332 Member
    Eating crap and being lazy.
  • coldwishes
    coldwishes Posts: 49
    Eating too much crap food
    Not exercising
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    i ate.
  • maryf78
    maryf78 Posts: 6
    Big portion sizes, junk food and lack of exercise.
  • aelitaangels
    aelitaangels Posts: 61 Member
    Stress, eating junk and sweets on a regular basis, eating late at night, overeating/boredom eating, and not making time to exercise on a regular basis contributed to my weight gain.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Not exercising in my second pregnancy! And probably eating too much chocolate!
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    junk food, no exercise, BC. Terrible combination!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    It was a three-step process.

Step 1 - stuff food into my mouth
    Step 2 - stuff more food into my mouth
    Step 3 - repeat steps one and two
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    binge eating
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Weekends full of binge drinking, eating, fornication, and various other debauchery
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Stress ate when I moved back in with my parents (to help them out) Then after getting married I realized I gained weight, tried starving myself (didn't know how to lose weight by eating MORE of the healthy stuff) then got pregnant and ate for two...sometimes five... haha
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    I was never "skinny" but desperately wanted to be ever since I was 14. I always hated my body, thought my thighs were hugeee, stomach was fat etc. which it kinda was, I could never just wear anything tight fitting.

At 17, I eventually gave into restricting/anorexia, and got underweight.

I couldn't maintain it though and sloowwwllly gained weight over 10 months. I was hardly eating at all but still gaining - thats how messed up my metabolism was. I also started binging (which wouldn't have helped the weight gain) and purging habits. I was desperately trying to get back to being "too thin" again, but I couldn't. Eating less, only made me gain weight.

Depressed, miserable, and mentally/physically EXHAUSTED, something clicked, enough was enough, and I came here to do this properly.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    I was overweight all of my life, starting when I was 4-5 years old. There was always dessert and a full cookie jar in the house and I couldn't resist either. I hated being outside when I was young so I didn't get a lot of exercise other than working on our farm, which kept me from being obese but I was still overweight. As I got older, my poor eating habits continued and I got even less exercise and I became obese (about 75 pounds overweight at my heaviest).

Currently I still have about 20-25 pounds to lose but at 50 year old I'm smaller than I was in high school so that's a huge victory for me!
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Continuing to eat like I was still teaching Jazzercise 3X/week and running 3X/week, even though I'd been permanently sidelined (I thought*) with a hip replacement back in 1999.

*had the other hip replace in 2010 when I was 265 lb, tried to get active again, but it really didn't come together till I stumbled across MFP and followed the directions slavishly. Can't argue with success. ... well you can, but you run the risk of looking like a fool...
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Can't say I was lazy, just ate too much!
  • bigkabina
    bigkabina Posts: 1 Member
    - Binge drinking at weekends followed by kebabs / full english breakfasts.
    - Takeaway Dinners on weekdays with excessive animal fat and sugar.
    - Sitting down all day (drive to work and back, in front of computer at work, in front of TV at home).
    - Nil exercise on weekdays or weekends
    - Snacking on chocolate and crisps at work on weekdays.
    - Snacking on burgers from fast food outlets for lunch at weekends.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    At first, it was clinical depression as the result of an emotionally and physically abusive marriage. Then once we split up, I got back into shape, and maintained for years until I blew out my shoulder. Boom! Huge weight gain in a very short period of time, and then a lack of commitment to get back into shape exacerbated the problem. I was terrified once I recovered from the shoulder surgery I would re-injure myself, so I just kept ignoring it until one day I felt like I was being followed. I kept looking back trying to figure out who was following me and then I realized no one was - it was my own *kitten*!

Either that, or I saw photos of myself from a family gathering that made me wish the earth would open up and swallow me. I can't remember ... ;-)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    Weekends full of binge drinking, eating, fornication, and various other debauchery

fornication burns calories sir............

I love food...... and I had stopped working out ...simple as that
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    depression and low self esteem
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    I got fat because they made food so freaking good.

Oh you'd like the current reasons?

- binge drinking freshman year of college, followed by food delivery from 12 - 4am
    - eating my feelings (ALL feelings; happy, bored, tired, mad, etc)
    - food plan freshman year (unlimited 24/7)
    - exercise/moving seems too tedious (terrible motivation levels)
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    1.College
    2.My boyfriend
    3.Moving from a rural area to a city
    4.Getting Married
    5.Birth Control
    6.Graduate School
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Upbringing as a child was more toward convenience foods than healthy foods. Decided to make a change in college.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    I was an active, slim teen. Turned 19, started going to the bar, drinking loads of beer several nights a week, which was often followed by 3am pig outs. Slept in til 1pm next day. Ate more. Got ready and went back to the bar and repeated all this. Stopped playing tennis and all other exercise. Got into a relationship and became content and lazy and gained weight. Yo-yo'ed most of the last 14 years. Now im fitter than I have been since my teens, but losing these last 10 lbs has been a struggle due to thyroid disease.
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Deep depression => emotional eating => self-loathing => more eating
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    CRAPPY JOB....HIGH STRESS....
    Crappy life...
    Neck injury
    Crappy wife
    Low self esteem
    OOOHHH ...yeah....and just being lazy
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    I got fat by being too lazy to do simply a minimum amount of exercise.

I've found I gain about 10 pounds per year when I don't exercise. That means a surplus of 35,000 calories net in those years. If I had taken the time to walk, just walk 20 minutes a day, that would have burned those 35k calories and kept me at the weight of my youth.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Eating more than I moved.

Boredom.

The bottomless pit that my stomach seems capable of being.

Love food.

Laziness.
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    FOOD! No one loves food as much as I do. And then, having PCOS made it worse.