Running. An avoidance behavior?

Options

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to dim anyone's candle I'm just trying to get people to deal with their problems head on!

Instead of people having a calm and rational discussion everyone wants to attack me!

No-one's attacking you. They just don't agree with what you're saying, and I think this thread is quite calm and rational.

I don't even run. I lift weights. I just don't agree with what you're saying.

As I said earlier, I disagree with the OP, but he is being savagely attacked for simply expressing his beliefs - and we're all different, maybe running all day and doing no resistance training is right for you, but it's not for OP, and we don't need an entire forum full of people tearing him to shreds because of PERSONAL biases.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I mean look at marathon training for example. A marathon was started because some French aristocrat wanted to celebrate a Greek messenger named Pheidippides. So basically, rather than celebrating the actual soldiers for fighting in The Battle of Marathon they celebrate some messenger who runs 28 miles away from the battle only to collapse and die a failure and a coward.

May need a better example than this. Pheidippides was a messenger from Athens who was ORDERED to make the run to Sparta to request for reinforcements for the incoming battle with the Persians. His run took him a day, arriving the very next day. Seeing how the Spartans and Athenians were on shakey relations, I'd say he had some serious guts to make the run alone into Sparta to make the request. The end result of that was the fact Pheidippides did NOT die, and the Spartans moved at a hastened pace to Athens, which got them there in time to see the Persian ships turn around and leave, ensuring the Athenian victory.

Secondly, if we're going off the -myth- side, which you are actually refering too. Pheidippides was sent from Athens AFTER the Battle to declare victory to the Spartans. Pheidippides, again, was ordered to make the run, he didn't run a coward from the fight. And in all haste, arrived in Sparta with amazing speed, dying on the spot after delivering word of Athenian victory.

Might wanna do some more digging in history before you run an example like that.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to dim anyone's candle I'm just trying to get people to deal with their problems head on!

Instead of people having a calm and rational discussion everyone wants to attack me!

No-one's attacking you. They just don't agree with what you're saying, and I think this thread is quite calm and rational.

Exactly. There are people refuting with facts, but those are being ignored by OP. I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I believe in a combined fitness routine of cardio and strength, but I think it's ignorant to say that one of the two is wrong and shouldn't be done.

Also, where's the censoring talk?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

All I'm saying is that perhaps people have an unhealthy attatchment to running and the fact that people are getting so worked up over it makes me think that they're may indeed be something there.

I just think that psychologically speaking, lifting weights encourages a more 'head on' approach to life where as running promotes a more 'run and hide from your problems mentality.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well only one is going to help you if you are trying to get away from zombies
    walking-dead-school-run.jpg

Or if you get into a little trouble
    cop-parkour-fail.gif

Or time traveling
    tumblr_m9x9wdilDB1qde8kx.gif

well maybe if you need to bust up a chair, then weight lifting would help.
    4a7b14f3f734c57a2096fe98e182e608-glen.jpg

Lmao!

I love lifting but I do get in some cardio too. I'm hoping to get the nerve to start running a couple times a week, but for now, I just do the elliptical. I want to cover all my bases, which includes out running the zombie horde.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

As I said earlier, I disagree with the OP, but he is being savagely attacked for simply expressing his beliefs - and we're all different, maybe running all day and doing no resistance training is right for you, but it's not for OP, and we don't need an entire forum full of people tearing him to shreds because of PERSONAL biases.

he's being hunted down like a deer being chased for miles and miles and miles and miles by a pack of Homo erectuses
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options
    Woah woah woah. Come on now, everybody. While I deeply disagree with the original poster's assertions, I would KILL OR DIE for his right to express them. Let's cool down all the censorship talk. This is a support website!

He IS expressing his opinion. You don't have to offer yourself up on the alter for his OP.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been thrown in there, 'cause to be honest I didn't read the whole thing.

I want to know where hill sprints fit into this brave new classification system?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and I run. It doesn't have anything to do with dealing with problems head on or running away from them. Any good fitness regimen is going to include cardio and strength...I prefer running for my cardio...I was a track athlete growing up, so I like running...I like lifting heavy things and putting them down too. I don't see what the problem is with doing both. Cardio to strengthen your heart and cardiovascular system and weights to strengthen your body. No biggie.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    he's being hunted down like a deer being chased for miles and miles and miles and miles by a pack of Homo erectuses

EXACTLY! Finally someone gets it. I have a mental image of this poor fellow on the wifi at a starbucks with everyone looking down at him with concern, as he whimpers and cowers from the relentless assault that you lot are delivering.

Even folks like this who try to act like the voice of reason:
    He IS expressing his opinion. You don't have to offer yourself up on the alter for his OP.
    Just another blow on OP's back. THIS MADNESS MUST STOP.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    Options
    I mean look at marathon training for example. A marathon was started because some French aristocrat wanted to celebrate a Greek messenger named Pheidippides. So basically, rather than celebrating the actual soldiers for fighting in The Battle of Marathon they celebrate some messenger who runs 28 miles away from the battle only to collapse and die a failure and a coward.

May need a better example than this. Pheidippides was a messenger from Athens who was ORDERED to make the run to Sparta to request for reinforcements for the incoming battle with the Persians. His run took him a day, arriving the very next day. Seeing how the Spartans and Athenians were on shakey relations, I'd say he had some serious guts to make the run alone into Sparta to make the request. The end result of that was the fact Pheidippides did NOT die, and the Spartans moved at a hastened pace to Athens, which got them there in time to see the Persian ships turn around and leave, ensuring the Athenian victory.

Secondly, if we're going off the -myth- side, which you are actually refering too. Pheidippides was sent from Athens AFTER the Battle to declare victory to the Spartans. Pheidippides, again, was ordered to make the run, he didn't run a coward from the fight. And in all haste, arrived in Sparta with amazing speed, dying on the spot after delivering word of Athenian victory.

Might wanna do some more digging in history before you run an example like that.

As I said before he was ORDERED FOR A REASON.

He was simply the weakest link so they told him to go for a run.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

All I'm saying is that perhaps people have an unhealthy attatchment to running and the fact that people are getting so worked up over it makes me think that they're may indeed be something there.

I just think that psychologically speaking, lifting weights encourages a more 'head on' approach to life where as running promotes a more 'run and hide from your problems mentality.

I understand what you're saying, I just think you're wrong. That is all. It's nothing personal. And no-one's getting worked up, just that there are a lot of people who like running on this forum so it's not really surprising that there are a lot of people disagreeing with you.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I have no problem with expressing opinions or beliefs. I agree that everyone has their right to believe what they want and even share it if they so choose. The problem comes in when you start picking pieces of a study and try to say that your opinion is fact and refute and talk down to anyone that disagrees and points out the flaws in your "fact".
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I love running. I used to run all the time. I was that guy that used to spend an hour on the treadmill everyday hoping to see results. But as I started lifting a realization occurred to me. Weightlifting puts you up close and gives the feeling of having personal close combat with your problems. Running on the other hand seems to be more about running away from your problems rather than facing them head on.

The fact of the matter is that since I have started lifting I've been more focused and more determined to tackle my problems head on. I'm more assertive, more confident, and happier. In the past when I was really stressed out I would go for a run just to eliminate the stress but my problems were still there when I returned. Running was just a temporary escape from the problems of reality. Almost like how some would describe their drug use.

In fact did you know that studies have actually shown that running (particularly stationary running) causes withdrawal symptoms in mice?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19634951

'There was a direct relationship between the intensity of running and the severity of withdrawal symptoms.'

'These findings support the hypothesis that exercise-induced increases in endogenous opioid peptides act in a manner similar to chronic administration of opiate drugs.'

They didn't do a study involving mice with weight lifting but I'm sure they would've seen different results.

Bottom line is that I would encourage each and every one of you to take a good long think about the person you want to become. Do you want to be the person that runs away from his/her problems or would you rather be the type of person that stands their ground and deals with their problems? I just can't support running on the hamster wheel and running outside is just a larger rat race because we always end up right back where we started and all our problems are still there waiting for us. We can be a hero like Hercules who faced his foes head on or we can be like Pheidippides and run away from our problems till it kills us.

The choice is yours . . .

Ankle biter. Dimming another's candle doesnt make yours any brighter.

You do know people don't like when you make them face their issues when they arent ready to, right? Maybe some of the reactions could stem from that. Or they just took your attempt to have a discussion on the research provided, in the wrong way. Someone is going to get offended no matter what lol
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be the person that runs away from his/her problems or would you rather be the type of person that stands their ground and deals with their problems?

I hate running, but this statement and your entire screed are douchetastic.

As an aside, what's so bad about douches that any word, when attaching the word douche in front of it immediately becomes a negative. I know that they're generally recommended against these days, but why is vaginal rinsing in general such a terrible thing?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I love running. I used to run all the time. I was that guy that used to spend an hour on the treadmill everyday hoping to see results. But as I started lifting a realization occurred to me. Weightlifting puts you up close and gives the feeling of having personal close combat with your problems. Running on the other hand seems to be more about running away from your problems rather than facing them head on.

The fact of the matter is that since I have started lifting I've been more focused and more determined to tackle my problems head on. I'm more assertive, more confident, and happier. In the past when I was really stressed out I would go for a run just to eliminate the stress but my problems were still there when I returned. Running was just a temporary escape from the problems of reality. Almost like how some would describe their drug use.

In fact did you know that studies have actually shown that running (particularly stationary running) causes withdrawal symptoms in mice?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19634951

'There was a direct relationship between the intensity of running and the severity of withdrawal symptoms.'

'These findings support the hypothesis that exercise-induced increases in endogenous opioid peptides act in a manner similar to chronic administration of opiate drugs.'

They didn't do a study involving mice with weight lifting but I'm sure they would've seen different results.

Bottom line is that I would encourage each and every one of you to take a good long think about the person you want to become. Do you want to be the person that runs away from his/her problems or would you rather be the type of person that stands their ground and deals with their problems? I just can't support running on the hamster wheel and running outside is just a larger rat race because we always end up right back where we started and all our problems are still there waiting for us. We can be a hero like Hercules who faced his foes head on or we can be like Pheidippides and run away from our problems till it kills us.

I run on the treadmill to watch the woman in fornt of me as her butt bounces up and down and sways side to side. Also, I like to look left and right, and watch the bounicng breasts. You just don't get that when you are over in the free weights area.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    What about those whose idea of cardio is a good wank? What does that say about how we .. uhhh they ... deal with their problems?

Personally, I think it means we ... uhhh they ... grab their problems head on, then wrestle with them until they're deflated .. uhhh defeated.
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options
    I don't know if this has been thrown in there, 'cause to be honest I didn't read the whole thing.

I want to know where hill sprints fit into this brave new classification system?

It's the *kitten* child of running and lifting no one wants to acknowledge. Running gave birth to it, because as OP stated, real men aren't runners.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    Options

I would say that hill sprints are a bit in the red zone. They're good but they still promote that 'flight' mentality that I'm trying desperately to warn against.

Stuff like Kettlebell ladders, Tabata body resistance intervals, stuff like that will encourage a more assertive nature.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    There is a whole section of psychology that deals with the body image issues that weight lifters have internalized - always feeling inadequate physically. They lift to try and compensate for their preceived short comings. Very unhealthy attachment to lifting.

For decades, women with perfect bodies have adorned the covers of fashion magazines and created an ideal that teenage girls aspired to. The obsession with the flawless body has recently crossed genders, causing men to suffer from eating disorders, consider steroid use and to have unhealthy obsessions with weightlifting, new research suggests.

"Men see these idealized, muscular men in the media and feel their own bodies don't measure up," said Tracy Tylka, the lead researcher and assistant professor of psychology at Ohio State University.

Reviewing previous studies, Tylka "found that media images of men in action toys, Playgirl centerfolds, etc., have become increasingly muscular over the last 25-30 years."

The effect was apparent when Tylka surveyed 285 college men to find out how much pressure they were under to have a muscular physique.

The more the surveyed men felt under pressure through media, friends, and family, the more they were compelled to live up to the ideals, Tylka reported Aug. 10 at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association.

"They start to believe that the only attractive male body is a muscular one," Tylka said. "And when they internalize that belief, they judge themselves on that ideal and probably come up short, because it is not a realistic portrayal of men."

Those who felt their bodies didn't measure up to the ideal reported that they worked out so much that weight training interfered with other parts of their lives. They also took protein supplements, were likely to report eating disorder symptoms, and thought about using steroids to enhance muscle growth.

"It is good to exercise, to lift weights, and to eat the foods that make your body function well," Tylka said. But it is not good to be preoccupied with working out just to bulk up, she said. These men were not eating healthy, but cutting out major food groups like carbohydrates and consuming massive amounts of protein.

"Instead of seeing a decrease in objectification of women in society, there has just been an increase in the objectification of men. And you can see that in the media today."
This discussion has been closed.