Running. An avoidance behavior?

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Fair enough.....

..... still love me some of those dirty *kitten* hill sprints though.....

I didn't read the rest, but I'm sensing a bit of the old butthurt in here......
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be a study and then theres always going to be study to contradict the first study.

To each their own...whatever makes you happy: DO IT. Not everyone likes to lift and not everyone likes to run. Find what you like and run with it. (No pun intended)

^^This. There is a reason there are so many different things human beings can do with their bodies, and a reason there are so many different things human beings WANT to do different things with their bodies. OP, that's why there is such dissent on this post. If you shove a square peg into a round hole, there will be damage.

Straight up, running feels good to me. I enjoy it. A lot. It's fun for me. It gives me time to organize, solve problems, think creatively, and meditate. It brings me peace and the confidence to deal with life in this crazy-awesome world.

So please stop telling me I shouldn't be doing it. You don't know me, you don't know the awesome feeling in my legs when I've finished a glorious six miles on a Saturday morning and how ready I am afterwards to get shtuff done.

Different strokes for different folks, ya'll.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    Shoulds have started the Inadequacy of Lifters thread.
    Sorry.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    moral of the story: lifting = awesome. but despite what you say and some studies you may post, i still believe in running and i still enjoy it! boom.

This. Except for the part about "enjoying" running. Because I don't. At all. Seriously. But I do it because it helped get my blood pressure down to normal and it helps keep it there.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    "they worked out so much that weight training interfered with other parts of their lives. They also took protein supplements, were likely to report eating disorder symptoms, and thought about using steroids to enhance muscle growth."

Eating disorders! Interference in other parts of their lives! Steroid use! Protein supplements!

Wait, protein powder? Is that . . . interference? Is protein supplementation a horrible dark side effect like an eating disorder now? Yikes.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I don't know if this has been thrown in there, 'cause to be honest I didn't read the whole thing.

I want to know where hill sprints fit into this brave new classification system?

I would say that hill sprints are a bit in the red zone. They're good but they still promote that 'flight' mentality that I'm trying desperately to warn against.

Stuff like Kettlebell ladders, Tabata body resistance intervals, stuff like that will encourage a more assertive nature.

Ah, I see the can-do element you're striving for! If it helps, when I hill sprint I charge like a bull to destroy anything in my path. I feel like I could eat the hearts of my enemies and make their woman-folk cry and rend their breasts......
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options
    There is a whole section of psychology that deals with the body image issues that weight lifters have internalized - always feeling inadequate physically. They lift to try and compensate for their preceived short comings. Very unhealthy attachment to lifting.

For decades, women with perfect bodies have adorned the covers of fashion magazines and created an ideal that teenage girls aspired to. The obsession with the flawless body has recently crossed genders, causing men to suffer from eating disorders, consider steroid use and to have unhealthy obsessions with weightlifting, new research suggests.

"Men see these idealized, muscular men in the media and feel their own bodies don't measure up," said Tracy Tylka, the lead researcher and assistant professor of psychology at Ohio State University.

Reviewing previous studies, Tylka "found that media images of men in action toys, Playgirl centerfolds, etc., have become increasingly muscular over the last 25-30 years."

The effect was apparent when Tylka surveyed 285 college men to find out how much pressure they were under to have a muscular physique.

The more the surveyed men felt under pressure through media, friends, and family, the more they were compelled to live up to the ideals, Tylka reported Aug. 10 at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association.

"They start to believe that the only attractive male body is a muscular one," Tylka said. "And when they internalize that belief, they judge themselves on that ideal and probably come up short, because it is not a realistic portrayal of men."

Those who felt their bodies didn't measure up to the ideal reported that they worked out so much that weight training interfered with other parts of their lives. They also took protein supplements, were likely to report eating disorder symptoms, and thought about using steroids to enhance muscle growth.

"It is good to exercise, to lift weights, and to eat the foods that make your body function well," Tylka said. But it is not good to be preoccupied with working out just to bulk up, she said. These men were not eating healthy, but cutting out major food groups like carbohydrates and consuming massive amounts of protein.

"Instead of seeing a decrease in objectification of women in society, there has just been an increase in the objectification of men. And you can see that in the media today."

Worthy of a new thread for sure!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I run....because I can. One day I may not be able to. The rest can go to hell. Simple as that.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Interesting you see it only as running away from problems, rather than running towards a solution. I could compare weight lifting to a masochistic need to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders like Atlas, but that would be JUST as silly. I run to to clean up the clutter in my head and on my body. If picking up the barbell does that for you, then more power to you. We all have different ways to get the job done.

I love this... and I like to pick up the occasional weight too, need to run more distance instead of short bursts... hey those mammoth hunts can go long and those babies can run!! Plus all that meat isn't going to carry itself back to the cave you know.

Balance... it's all about balance :wink:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been thrown in there, 'cause to be honest I didn't read the whole thing.

I want to know where hill sprints fit into this brave new classification system?

I would say that hill sprints are a bit in the red zone. They're good but they still promote that 'flight' mentality that I'm trying desperately to warn against.

Stuff like Kettlebell ladders, Tabata body resistance intervals, stuff like that will encourage a more assertive nature.

Ah, I see the can-do element you're striving for! If it helps, when I hill sprint I charge like a bull to destroy anything in my path. I feel like I could eat the hearts of my enemies and make their woman-folk cry and rend their breasts......

That does sound pretty manly.

Unless you are wearing tights.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I love running. I used to run all the time. I was that guy that used to spend an hour on the treadmill everyday hoping to see results. But as I started lifting a realization occurred to me. Weightlifting puts you up close and gives the feeling of having personal close combat with your problems. Running on the other hand seems to be more about running away from your problems rather than facing them head on.
    Running isn't for everyone, and I'm glad that you found something that works for you.
    I mean look at marathon training for example. A marathon was started because some French aristocrat wanted to celebrate a Greek messenger named Pheidippides. So basically, rather than celebrating the actual soldiers for fighting in The Battle of Marathon they celebrate some messenger who runs 28 miles away from the battle only to collapse and die a failure and a coward.
    I don't understand your need to frame this as an either/or situation. The legend also goes that the messenger, Phillippides, also fought in the battle. He had both strength and endurance. In any case, the legend is hardly present at marathons today. They are much more celebrations of commitment, endurance, and willpower.
    The fact of the matter is that since I have started lifting I've been more focused and more determined to tackle my problems head on. I'm more assertive, more confident, and happier. In the past when I was really stressed out I would go for a run just to eliminate the stress but my problems were still there when I returned. Running was just a temporary escape from the problems of reality. Almost like how some would describe their drug use.

In fact did you know that studies have actually shown that running (particularly stationary running) causes withdrawal symptoms in mice?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19634951

'There was a direct relationship between the intensity of running and the severity of withdrawal symptoms.'

'These findings support the hypothesis that exercise-induced increases in endogenous opioid peptides act in a manner similar to chronic administration of opiate drugs.'

They didn't do a study involving mice with weight lifting but I'm sure they would've seen different results.
    As others have pointed out, the study is about "activity-based anorexia" in rats. Your interpretation seems to be a bit of a stretch. This model is about the relationship of activity level to food intake. Most runners do not fall into the cycle of decreasing food intake and increasing activity level to the point of emaciation. Besides, this study then contradicts the point that you can't lose weight with running. These rats did lose weight. Far too much weight, far too fast. The rats that only had access to food 1 hour per day were the ones most affected. I don't know runner friend's out there - do you restrict your access to food to this extent?

On the topic of withdrawal, running does release endogenous opioids, more familiarly known as endorphins. So do lots of other activities - crying, music, yoga, acupuncture or massage, roller coasters, etc. Should we also then avoid these activities for fear of these "withdrawal symptoms." I do not believe this is a logical conclusion. These activities are actually evidence-based, natural ways to treat depression. For some people, these activities are a solution to a problem they have - which activity they choose is up to them.
    Bottom line is that I would encourage each and every one of you to take a good long think about the person you want to become. Do you want to be the person that runs away from his/her problems or would you rather be the type of person that stands their ground and deals with their problems? I just can't support running on the hamster wheel and running outside is just a larger rat race because we always end up right back where we started and all our problems are still there waiting for us. We can be a hero like Hercules who faced his foes head on or we can be like Pheidippides and run away from our problems till it kills us.

The choice is yours . . .
    Read: The choice is yours, but if you choose running over lifting than you're a coward. I really don't understand why lifters must always pose this false dichotomy between running and lifting. You can absolutely choose both. They have different effects, and you have to find the right fit for you. I appreciate that running didn't work for you and that it gave you the sense that you were running from your problems, but I assure you not everyone feels the same way when they run.

Phillippides ran for reinforcements to help his fellow soldiers, and then stood by and fought with them when the reinforcements didn't come, and then after that ran ahead to celebrate their victory.

I'm glad that you're there to offer your support and wisdom to those who are running and finding that it isn't working for them, but...and here's the big shocker...not everyone is the same.

Perhaps the choice is this: to support those who are achieving their goals no matter what works for them or to continue to put those who are different than you down.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I mean look at marathon training for example. A marathon was started because some French aristocrat wanted to celebrate a Greek messenger named Pheidippides. So basically, rather than celebrating the actual soldiers for fighting in The Battle of Marathon they celebrate some messenger who runs 28 miles away from the battle only to collapse and die a failure and a coward.

May need a better example than this. Pheidippides was a messenger from Athens who was ORDERED to make the run to Sparta to request for reinforcements for the incoming battle with the Persians. His run took him a day, arriving the very next day. Seeing how the Spartans and Athenians were on shakey relations, I'd say he had some serious guts to make the run alone into Sparta to make the request. The end result of that was the fact Pheidippides did NOT die, and the Spartans moved at a hastened pace to Athens, which got them there in time to see the Persian ships turn around and leave, ensuring the Athenian victory.

Secondly, if we're going off the -myth- side, which you are actually refering too. Pheidippides was sent from Athens AFTER the Battle to declare victory to the Spartans. Pheidippides, again, was ordered to make the run, he didn't run a coward from the fight. And in all haste, arrived in Sparta with amazing speed, dying on the spot after delivering word of Athenian victory.

Might wanna do some more digging in history before you run an example like that.

As I said before he was ORDERED FOR A REASON.

He was simply the weakest link so they told him to go for a run.

You realize folks were trained messengers back then right? It wasn't a matter of a weakest link, he was just the best at getting messages from point A to point B, as were several others. If it wasn't him, it'd be someone else. Point is, he wasn't running away from anything, he was doing his duty.

Coward: No.
    Failure: No. He not just delivered the message, he delivered it in timely fashion for a runner.
    Weak: No. He was doing his job, trained, and conditioned to do so.

In short, find another example, twisting this one isn't working.

Anyways, I digress, I'm just a history buff who wanted to set the record straight, I'll back out.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a means not an end.
    If that were my end, I would be a very shallow person indeed.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love the idea that kettlebell lifting (aka panini press snatches I referenced) is supposed to make your more assertive. Need a raise? Just picture yourself lifting a panini press 10 times. Then you'll have the confidence to do it! Don't picture yourself winning a race.. no way dude... how's that going to help?
  • jimmmer
    Options

That does sound pretty manly.

Unless you are wearing tights.

You haven't been following me, have you?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong. I'd much rather someone run than sit on the couch and eat Cheetos. I just think that society today has a very unhealthy addiction to it. Look at the Nike running ads! Look at running shoes! You don't see Nike commercials of people lifting up rocks or pushing cars or moving barrels of hay.

I prefer the bathtub cheetos-girl1.jpg
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bumping because I do think what the OP shared can be true for some... in any activity.. I'm not a runner nor do I have any passion to run. Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't but I only feel that way when I'm on here and so many bring up the best workout is running. I don't believe ANY exercise is the perfect one for anyone.

So not wanting to get in a spat with anyone but I have often wondered how many on here hit the gym in place of other addictions. Then again, if we're replacing a food addiction then I can see how I personally would pick the workout over the binges anytime... for me that's a better choice, a healthier one for me just as long as I don't go overboard with that too.:wink:

Good post to ponder, but I can see where some runners may chime in with a harsh attitude of defense.. some runners appear to get very defensive, not sure why... that I really don't understand, maybe it's because I'm not a runner.

Thanks for posting food for thought OP!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be the person that runs away from his/her problems or would you rather be the type of person that stands their ground and deals with their problems?

I hate running, but this statement and your entire screed are douchetastic.

As an aside, what's so bad about douches that any word, when attaching the word douche in front of it immediately becomes a negative. I know that they're generally recommended against these days, but why is vaginal rinsing in general such a terrible thing?

I'm not sure what the point of your post was but I found it incredibly offensive. I'm having a very legitimate discussion about the dangers of long slow duration running and frankly you're the third person that's felt the need to resort to name calling.

And then when I say I'm being attacked everyone pretends like it's my fault!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic! I did some searching and there are tons of papers on running being addicting but none on weight lifting. I trained for a half marathon last year and ran 4 times a week. To be honest, I hated every minute of it!! Running did not make me feel good at all...so where was this opiate feeling? But I always tell people that I am addicted to and get a high from weight lifting.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be the person that runs away from his/her problems or would you rather be the type of person that stands their ground and deals with their problems?

I hate running, but this statement and your entire screed are douchetastic.

As an aside, what's so bad about douches that any word, when attaching the word douche in front of it immediately becomes a negative. I know that they're generally recommended against these days, but why is vaginal rinsing in general such a terrible thing?

this question deserves it's own thread. at least by MFP standards. and don't forget to add the obligatory "ladies only" on the front.
This discussion has been closed.