why are crossfit facilities/ classes SO expensive?

Options

Replies

• PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we've hit the "Recent Forum Topics" sidebar.

Let the real fun begin!
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    how much are normal cults to join?

^^ this

CF is a cult, status symbol and yuppy club

seriously. just like a football team. going to your work outs, wearing the same clothes, speaking the same kind of lingo, and it's such a jock breeding ground.

tumblr_louyorHJ1I1qba508.gif
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Oh hello Health_Gal! Good to see you still get worked up about Crossfit!

Did I mention I love Crossfit? I Loooooooooovvveee Crossfit :laugh:.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too! LOVE IT.

You know what I love most about Health_Gal showing up? This thread will surely be at the top all morning long... and while she may dissuade a few people from trying Crossfit, there will probably be way more people who will go check it out just to see what the hell all the fuss is about! And since most places probably offer the first class free...

She's actually helping the cult, er, I mean, the cause! :drinker:

LOL, I actually went to Crossfit before my trainer, liked it, but it is not a convenient location for me. She almost makes me want to go sign up and drive out of my way.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options

^^ this

seriously. just like a football team. going to your work outs, wearing the same clothes, speaking the same kind of lingo, and it's such a jock breeding ground.

I know, look at me! I'm such a jock, going to my work outs wearing workout clothes! Calling jumping up on a box something fancy like "box jump." I mean, really, how could anyone else figure that lingo out?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

^^ this

tumblr_louyorHJ1I1qba508.gif

Happy-oh-stop-it-you-l_large.png
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Folks I’ve never been to a Crossfit session my life – I’ll fess up now.
    It is quite expensive locally and given hat I recently had to quit gym membership to save money, it’s a no go.
    I’ve been reading the thread with interest though.
    I was wondering where the “ cult “ references are coming from – but I can’t help noticing that some of the “ pro “ cross-fit camp seem to be a lot more aggressive in their defence of it than anyone attacking it. Maybe just fed up with doing so, or maybe just like anything - you'll get the militantly minded.
    Just a few quick questions though?
    Is there a possibility that it is a fad?
    That’s not necessarily a pejorative description.
    Things ( specific brands etc ) tend to have their time in the spotlight when they’re the current big thing. Tai Bo, Boxercise, Zumba etc Eventually popularity wanes. That doesn’t mean they’re not beneficial, or that they disappear completely. The people who genuinely enjoy it and benefit will stick around and continue.
    To argue that Cross fit isn’t a fad is to argue that it will always be as big as it is now.
    Maybe it will, I dunno, but experience would suggest that in a year or 2 another form of training will take it’s place in the Limelight and cross-fit will continue, much more low key. So why is that a bad thing?
    On the flip side – should you knock something just because it’s popular?
    The more people who are into something, the more *kitten* that includes. The percentage probably hasn’t changed, but numerically there will be more.
    But my own instinct would be that if someone is an *kitten* about doing Cross Fit, they’d probably be an *kitten* about stamp collecting. .
    Blame the *kitten*, not the interest.
    Are we prepared to accept that while Crossfit is a good solid work out where good form and attitude are encouraged, it’s neither the second coming of fitness Jesus nor the work of Fitness Satan on Earth.
    It’s just a thing that’s been around for a while, is really popular now, will be less popular in the future, but will keep ticking away
    So why get all worked up?
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that the vast majority of the people bashing Crossfit have never even set foot in a Crossfit location, and the reasons can almost always be boiled down to the following: lack of money, lack of guts, or both.

Or... Some people may realize the some of the Olympic lifts being done to failure are great way to become injured.

I have no problem with the concept of CrossFit. The only problem I have is some of the lifts should be removed from the program. They aren't safe when done to failure and the safety concern increases when untrained people are doing them to failure.
  • Mattsama
    Mattsama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we've hit the "Recent Forum Topics" sidebar.

Let the real fun begin!

You were on the sidebar at page 3. I'm trying to keep up with all the hate spam. This is just funny how polarized the haters are on this.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    Bottom line is that the vast majority of the people bashing Crossfit have never even set foot in a Crossfit location, and the reasons can almost always be boiled down to the following: lack of money, lack of guts, or both.

Or... Some people may realize the some of the Olympic lifts being done to failure are great way to become injured.

I have no problem with the concept of CrossFit. The only problem I have is some of the lifts should be removed from the program. They aren't safe when done to failure and the safety concern increases when untrained people are doing them to failure.

Then speak out against that practice, but not CrossFit in total -- like you just did very eloquently. FWIW, we do not practice that way where I go.

I have no problem at all with genuine criticism of the mistakes that are made -- at CrossFit, or anywhere else, including my own gym. If there is ever something going on there that I have an issue with, I'll take it to the trainers.

As I have stated since the beginning, almost every single person on MFP bashing CrossFit has never even done CrossFit. They are just parroting what they have heard others say. They have no frame of reference and they are talking out of their *kitten*. And I don't abide that behavior about anything, nevermind CrossFit.
  • Mattsama
    Options

Here is my biggest problem with this argument: I've been doing CrossFit for two years. I've never been asked to do an Olympic Lift to *failure* If you can't do the RX, the trainer should be scaling the workout to your ability (some of that sweet sweet personal training everyone is talking up).

No traininer shouldn't be making anyone do Olympic Lifts to failure. That's just down right dangerous and ignorant.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    Uh... I don't think the world cares what you "abide."

Responding is a strange way of indicating your indifference.

Since somebody commented on people "defending" CrossFit, my statement was in response to that.

But please, continue to argue with me rather than spending your time on things you actually do care about.
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Folks I’ve never been to a Crossfit session my life – I’ll fess up now.
    It is quite expensive locally and given hat I recently had to quit gym membership to save money, it’s a no go.
    I’ve been reading the thread with interest though.
    I was wondering where the “ cult “ references are coming from – but I can’t help noticing that some of the “ pro “ cross-fit camp seem to be a lot more aggressive in their defence of it than anyone attacking it. Maybe just fed up with doing so, or maybe just like anything - you'll get the militantly minded.
    Just a few quick questions though?
    Is there a possibility that it is a fad?
    That’s not necessarily a pejorative description.
    Things ( specific brands etc ) tend to have their time in the spotlight when they’re the current big thing. Tai Bo, Boxercise, Zumba etc Eventually popularity wanes. That doesn’t mean they’re not beneficial, or that they disappear completely. The people who genuinely enjoy it and benefit will stick around and continue.
    To argue that Cross fit isn’t a fad is to argue that it will always be as big as it is now.
    Maybe it will, I dunno, but experience would suggest that in a year or 2 another form of training will take it’s place in the Limelight and cross-fit will continue, much more low key. So why is that a bad thing?
    On the flip side – should you knock something just because it’s popular?
    The more people who are into something, the more *kitten* that includes. The percentage probably hasn’t changed, but numerically there will be more.
    But my own instinct would be that if someone is an *kitten* about doing Cross Fit, they’d probably be an *kitten* about stamp collecting. .
    Blame the *kitten*, not the interest.
    Are we prepared to accept that while Crossfit is a good solid work out where good form and attitude are encouraged, it’s neither the second coming of fitness Jesus nor the work of Fitness Satan on Earth.
    It’s just a thing that’s been around for a while, is really popular now, will be less popular in the future, but will keep ticking away
    So why get all worked up?

I'm honestly gonna skip the whole "fad" thing because like you said, you can't truly tell if something is a fad until it has already lost interest. As for me, CrossFit has quite literally changed my life. It is not a fad to me and I have no intention of ever willingly giving it up.

As for the argumentative defense you see, I think (at least for me, as I won't speak for others I don't know) that it mainly comes from a frustration of people that continuously bring up the same illegitimate argument toward CrossFit. Once in a while you get someone who expresses a legitimate concern, such as the "inexperience with Olympic lifts", but for the most part people try and argue "its so expensive" or "its a cult". Well, it is expensive when compared to globo-gym at $10 a month, sure. But compare it to a personal trainer where you are spending $50-$200 per session!... As for the cult argument, that is completely 100% pure hate for CrossFit and as others have said, would you call football players a cult? Would you call power lifters a cult? Would you call MFP a cult?? I think that people just need to realize that everything isn't for everybody and move on...
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    I wonder does the cult thing stem from how people broadcast themselves?
    There must be hundreds of thousands of people doing Crossfit who feel absolutely no desire to talk about it or lecture about it.
    They get in, they work out, they enjoy it.
    But the people who get our attention are those who want it.
    So people gauge their opinion of Crossfitters ( I dunno, is that the term for participants? ) based on those who would be foremost in their consciousness - unfortunately, this is usually the most annoying or militant of participants. The Evangelical type.
    But like I said - if soeone's an *kitten* about crossfit, they'd probably be an assole about stamp collecting.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I was wondering where the “ cult “ references are coming from – but I can’t help noticing that some of the “ pro “ cross-fit camp seem to be a lot more aggressive in their defence of it than anyone attacking it.

Uhm.. have you met janebshaw, aka Health_Gal? Lol, I've never sent someone a pm telling them they should crossfit. However, I HAVE had a share of pm's about how I shouldn't crossfit.

Also, as someone who does crossfit, I've been stereotyped as someone who's drank one too many crossfit KoolAid and was part of a cult or yuppy club and accused of using crossfit as a status symbol. I can't remember ever bashing anyone elses workout?

But hey, bash and bully away! It won't make me love it any less :happy:.
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    I was wondering where the “ cult “ references are coming from – but I can’t help noticing that some of the “ pro “ cross-fit camp seem to be a lot more aggressive in their defence of it than anyone attacking it.

Uhm.. have you met janebshaw, aka Health_Gal? Lol, I've never sent someone a pm telling them they should crossfit. However, I HAVE had a share of pm's about how I shouldn't crossfit.

No, I've not me her and nor do I have what would seem in some cases to be lengthy experience of her, I'm going solely by what I'm reading in this thread.

I don't feel I am bashing or bullying and I'm sorry if it came across that way.
    I'm just interesed in the obvious polarization that's occurred over what is, basically, a work out. It's not something you see often - well, not when discussing something that in the great scheme of things is fairly trivial.

Well maybe on football forums.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

No, I've not me her and nor do I have what would seem in some cases to be lengthy experience of her, I'm going solely by what I'm reading in this thread.

I don't feel I am bashing or bullying and I'm sorry if it came across that way.
    I'm just interesed in the obvious polarization that's occurred over what is, basically, a work out. It's not something you see often - well, not when discussing something that in the great scheme of things is fairly trivial.

Well maybe on football forums.

I don't find you bashing at all! You've asked some very fair questions if any. I was referring to some *cough* other people.
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lol, I've never sent someone a pm telling them they should crossfit.

You're either doing it wrong, or you're the only one doing it right.
  • BigDougie1211
    Options
    Could someone tell me a bit about the earlier remark about all wearing the same clothes etc?
    Is there like a unifom that you have to get when you join a Crossfit gym?
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    From what I've been reading on this thread, part of the problem stems from their being no clear definition as to what Crossfit is or isn't. There is a Crossfit website that lists the Workout of the Day, but many Crossfit facilities don't use that as their workout.

When I take group classes at the YMCA, there is a standard as to what a strength training workout is, what a spin workout is, what a step class workout is, etc because they use workouts designed by the Body Training Systems franchise. They are free to substitute a track (exercise routine done to rock music) from one seasonal release for another, but everything within that workout was created by the Body Training Systems franchise. I would imagine that the Les Mills franchise is similar in that when you see an ad for one of their classes, you basically know what you will be doing. The YMCA also offers personal training, weight loss programs, and non-BTS fitness classes, but that's a different story.

But when people say they do Crossfit, even though Crossfit is a franchise, you really don't know what they do unless they give you detains of their workout that day.
  • Mattsama
    Options
    Could someone tell me a bit about the earlier remark about all wearing the same clothes etc?
    Is there like a unifom that you have to get when you join a Crossfit gym?

There is a market for gear that is "CrossFit" seific, be it Rogue Fitness, CrossFit Games, or just some local garage throwdown.... But it's like the adventure race stuff. People just love their swag!