why are crossfit facilities/ classes SO expensive?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's expensive because its the latest 'thing'. Wait until the next big 'thing' is out and the prices will go down.

^^This. Yes.

Except that the business math doesn't work if the prices decrease. There will be insufficient return for the owners at lower prices. Given the class sizes, they can't make it up on volume like a globo gym can (since globo gyms sell "memberships" more than they sell a "service"). If you're right and this is just a fad (which honestly is impossible to know for certain until *after* it has passed), then the result will more likely be a reduction in the number of crossfit gyms. (Alternatively, you are right and the prices will go down, but then the quality/breadth of the service will significantly diminish as well...to the point that I suspect it will be unrecognizable as a current quality crossfit gym and will look more like a minimalist globo gym.)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with the cossfit trainers is all it takes is 1000 dollars and attendance at a 2 day seminar and of course a passing score on a test. In my opinon this does not even come close to a professional trainer. I wonder has anyone failed a test.

http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventId=123477
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    how much are normal cults to join?

^^ this

CF is a cult, status symbol and yuppy club

seriously. just like a football team. going to your work outs, wearing the same clothes, speaking the same kind of lingo, and it's such a jock breeding ground.

It's funny, when I go to a race or group run, I see a lot of the same clothes, tights, bright colors, reflective gear, same brands. We use lingo like fartleks, tempo runs, race pace, repeats, LSD, etc.

When I go for a ride with a group, I see the same clothing, and we use words like pace line, cadence, RPM, time trials, butt butter and that's not even touching the gear.

When I went to the gym, I saw the same clothing, popular brands or supplement clothing and we talked about things like pump, supersetting, drop sets, 1 MR etc.
  • Mattsama
    Mattsama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You guys, I heard of a cult even worse than Crossfit! Where they expect you to log in every single day and record every single bit of exercise you do and everything you eat, I mean down to the ounce! You give them all kinds of personal information, and then they tell you exactly how much you should be eating every day... everyone who gets sucked into the cult starts broadcasting about it to all their friends and urging them to try it... They make a big deal out of it when you miss a day by stripping away your "streak" and everything!

Wait a minute...

OMG!! NOOO!! What can be done!? The way you describe this.... at this point it's pandemic!! What can we do!?!? HYSTERIA! HYSTERIAAA!!!!!!

*rolls eyes** that was fun ~_^
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    The only problem I have with the cossfit trainers is all it takes is 1000 dollars and attendance at a 2 day seminar and of course a passing score on a test. In my opinon this does not even come close to a professional trainer. I wonder has anyone failed a test.

http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventId=123477

For level one. There are other levels.
    It is no different than comparing qualifications of trainers at your gym. You don't even need to go to a seminar to get a PT certificate in some cases.
    That is also where it falls on the user to do their own due diligence and learn what to look for as I would suggest to anyone looking to try crossfit, or a trainer at the gym, or a boxing club or martial arts trainer, etc etc.
  • IamBlackMamba
    IamBlackMamba Posts: 229
    Options
    Because that's what semi personalized fitness coaching costs. Every time I see someone on the boards talk about crossfit being expensive, they are comparing it to some standard gym where you go in do whatever you want and walk out. No groups, no coaching, no expected performance levels, no training, nothing.

Having a personal trainer at your regular spot costs $50-80 per session, and at 12 sessions per month, that would run you $700+ per month, PLUS the $40 for your gym membership. So crossfit is incredibly cheap compared to 1 on 1 training.

Now lets compare small groups. Usually pilates or yoga in small groups runs $15-25 per session, so those same 12 sessions would cost you $240 per month. Circuit training, boxing, and martial arts training classes tend to fall around the same number. So crossfit, at $160-200 per month, fits right in this niche.

Apples to apples, people, apples to apples.

Aye, ^this.

With the information/correction/training I've gotten in just my first two on-ramp classes, I wish I would have signed up years ago. There's only so much reading articles and watching videos can do for your form (or at least than I was able to accomplish). And at ~$15/class (and only 2-3 of us in the class), much cheaper than any individual/small-group training I could have gotten anywhere else. (Sure, I may change my mind once the "real" classes begin, but so far, I'm drinking the koolaid and absolutely loving it.)

We just had this debate in my office this morning. A co worker put me down for working out at CF while he went to PF. I explained to him I went to both gyms actually. (And there are plenty of PF haters out there too....CF is not alone in the world of Gym hate)

I'm about 6 weeks into my CF experience and I personally love it. But, I am looking to compete and am a part of the Olympic lifting program. There is also a community built around the concept. They have accountability, code of conduct and standards that all members must adhere to and if violated they are kicked out; no negativity, etc., I find that very motivating so, I too drink the Kool-Aid. However, I still keep my PF membership for $19.99/month for my weekends or whenever I can't make it into my CF gym. Do I think it's trendy? Yes. Wasn't everything a trend at one point? So far I like it and it works for me. If you're a competitive person and can make it to & afford CF- it's a great outlet. Not the only one but definitely a good one IMO.
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You have a planned WOD each time you go that was designed by a professional. It's like having a trainer plan each of your workouts without paying $80 a session. It can be much cheaper than a trainer for all that you receive.

This... I haven't done CF, but from what I've heard it's basically like having a personal trainer. Even though you're in a group you get lots of individual attention, and all kinds of varied workouts.

^^truth.

i do crossfit about once a month (my bf does it daily). it's definitely like having a personal training session every day with custom workouts and the trainer does help you with form and adjust certain moves to fit you as an individual, if needed. yea, it's the new "it" thing or "trendy" thing or whatever, but i think it's worth it. it's an amazing workout and it's great if you aren't good at coming up with your own workout routines.

ALL THIS...I started CrossFit in late February having no prior experience, never lifted a weight in my life, and being completely out of shape. In 3 months I have dropped several inches, 2 full pant sizes, and best of all my very expensive medications have been reduced from 4x to 1x per day, my sleep apnea has been reduced by 50% (may not even need the mask if I lose another 15% body weight), and my husband of 19 years can't keep his hands off me :) My gym is $100 a month and to me that's cheap because my health is priceless!

Too bad your closest gym doesn't have childcare.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    You have a planned WOD each time you go that was designed by a professional. It's like having a trainer plan each of your workouts without paying $80 a session. It can be much cheaper than a trainer for all that you receive.

This... I haven't done CF, but from what I've heard it's basically like having a personal trainer. Even though you're in a group you get lots of individual attention, and all kinds of varied workouts.

^^truth.

i do crossfit about once a month (my bf does it daily). it's definitely like having a personal training session every day with custom workouts and the trainer does help you with form and adjust certain moves to fit you as an individual, if needed. yea, it's the new "it" thing or "trendy" thing or whatever, but i think it's worth it. it's an amazing workout and it's great if you aren't good at coming up with your own workout routines.

ALL THIS...I started CrossFit in late February having no prior experience, never lifted a weight in my life, and being completely out of shape. In 3 months I have dropped several inches, 2 full pant sizes, and best of all my very expensive medications have been reduced from 4x to 1x per day, my sleep apnea has been reduced by 50% (may not even need the mask if I lose another 15% body weight), and my husband of 19 years can't keep his hands off me :) My gym is $100 a month and to me that's cheap because my health is priceless!

That is awesome! Good for you!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

^^truth.

That is FANTASTIC. I love to hear positive stories like that.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    I'm about 6 weeks into my CF experience and I personally love it. But, I am looking to compete and am a part of the Olympic lifting program. There is also a community built around the concept. They have accountability, code of conduct and standards that all members must adhere to and if violated they are kicked out; no negativity, etc., I find that very motivating so, I too drink the Kool-Aid. However, I still keep my PF membership for $19.99/month for my weekends or whenever I can't make it into my CF gym. Do I think it's trendy? Yes. Wasn't everything a trend at one point? So far I like it and it works for me. If you're a competitive person and can make it to & afford CF- it's a great outlet. Not the only one but definitely a good one IMO.

When I started CF in January I was going 2x per week and I actually kept my PF membership going, but found myself going there less and less until finally I hadn't been there in about a month. I was still going to water aerobics once a week but had stopped doing anything at PF. I decided to drop PF and add a day at CF, and then add Yoga back into the mix once a week because I missed it. That's where I'm at at this point (along with other random exercise) and I'm really loving my results.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try looking for deals on groupon or livingsocial. In my city there are TONS of deals there for all those kinds of things.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options

When I started CF in January I was going 2x per week and I actually kept my PF membership going, but found myself going there less and less until finally I hadn't been there in about a month. I was still going to water aerobics once a week but had stopped doing anything at PF. I decided to drop PF and add a day at CF, and then add Yoga back into the mix once a week because I missed it. That's where I'm at at this point (along with other random exercise) and I'm really loving my results.

This is good feedback as I am not sure what to do about PF yet. My CF Box has a Yoga studio and will soon add an instructor and I get a discount and unlimited courses but it is about 30 mins from my home so I tend to go m-f since it's a block away from work. We shall see...I don' t want to drop PF yet.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Whoever that chick one with the Nike for running - I don't think so. Saucony or Asics are real running gear. :flowerforyou:

Lol, look at the pic. I was wearing Asics!! :flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Whoever that chick one with the Nike for running - I don't think so. Saucony or Asics are real running gear. :flowerforyou:

LOL whoops, fail.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    The word cult in current popular usage is a pejorative term for a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre by the larger society.[1]

SWEEEEEEET!!

Cults that I participate in and DGAF what you think

Crossfit
    Rugby
    Chive
    MFP

Others:
    Marathon Runners
    Adventure Racers
    Christianity
    Any other religion

I don't judge I accept - we all have our preferences -- We are all here to be fit and healthy so let them get it as they want!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

LOL whoops, fail.

Ha ha!

Now I don't feel so bad about missing the football reference.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I could go for £40 a month unlimited classes but that 1 hr away by train the closer ones are way more expensive being in London
  • PomegranatePriestess
    Options
    Just want to thank the OP for starting this thread. I've got five awesome new friends on my list thanks to this! :drinker:
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Because it isn't cheap to get people to join the Cult of Poor Form and made up moves, I mean you could Harlem Shake for an hour 4 days a week, and get the same results .... wait did I say that out loud.. DIBs I called it .. I'm opening a new gym called the Harlem Shakers, combing one latest fad with taking peoples money... I'm going to be RICH (evil laugh ensues)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Just a tip for anyone reading this far into the thread, and assuming the thread might still actually be about CrossFit:

From personal experience, if I ever feel the pankering to do a CrossFit type workout, I'll just throw a few moves together, generally set a goal of how much of each I want to do, and see how quickly I can accomplish it (albeit, while keeping proper form in any said moves). In fact, this is Tuesday and Friday evenings for me every week currently - 100 push ups and 50 pull ups for time, usually done twice (for a total of 200/100).

I feel aside from the daily variation and group environment (unless of course you get a bunch of friends together for this), it's more or less the same thing.