Looking to lose 10-15 pounds a month

Options

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Truly not being judgemental here...but maybe your time would be better spent right now going for a walk or exercising rather than sitting and debating with people here. I wish you the best no matter how you go about losing weight.

By the way, I've just checked in about hourly to see if this was still "going". During that time I've taken the dog for a walk, worked in the garden and did a level of 30 Day Shred. :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Um, then why did you ask for advice from a bunch of people that you know are not experts.... ? Just ask the guy at the bus stop then. He knows as much as we do, no?

I DID NOT ASK FOR YOUR ADVICE. IF YOU DIDN'T DO, THEN THIS THREAD WAS NOT FOR YOU.

Okay, rewind time. Your original post:

"I'm setting a goal for myself to lose 10-15 pounds every month. I know my weight loss will not be the same every month, but that's my goal and I'm sticking to it. Has anyone been able to do this? If so, how?"

That's not asking for advice?

I'm pretty sure we've both been blocked already by the OP for not patting her head and telling her it's okay to have hopes and dreams.

WELL **** YOU THEN FOR TRYING TO HELP AND NOT BEING SUPPORTIVE OF ALL THE THINGS!

19013337.jpg
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm setting a goal for myself to lose 10-15 pounds every month. I know my weight loss will not be the same every month, but that's my goal and I'm sticking to it. Has anyone been able to do this? If so, how?

Hello. I've been reading through a lot of this. Came to discover it's nothing more than 9 pages of insults, crap talk, irrelevance, and a lot of wasted breath.

Therefore, I quoted the original post and am going to pleasantly respond to it in a way I see fit, achieving the oh so novel concept of doing what these threads are meant to do...answer the OP and provide support with facts, without opinion, and with the simple intent of attempting to help someone that is trying to do what I (and every single one of you) am working hard to do.
    Lose weight, get fit, get healthy.
    I am rewinding and starting this from scratch. You're welcome.

I've been taking my weight loss seriously for 3 weeks and have lost 7.2lbs, so no, I can't say that I have lost 10-15/month yet, but it's do-able. Just be prepared, because to successfully lose like that, there is no room for error. You're talking exercise 7 days/week and eating nothing short of perfectly.
    I have admiration and respect for you for setting the bar so high for yourself. It takes nothing short of enviable confidence to do such a thing.
    My goal is 8-11lbs/month and so far I'm on track. I eat 1300-1500 (net) calories/day, and I workout a minimum of 35min a day, 5-6 days per week. Mostly, I dance. Zumba, cardio hip hop, and Buti are my exercises of choice. Zumba burns 750-1,000 calories an hour! And it's a blast! Doesn't even feel like you're working out.

My dad is a Marine and personal trainer, and he's encouraging me to lose at least 5lbs/week and he's certified to train people. I, admittedly, find 5lbs/week absolutely cra-cra-craaaaazay, but to each their own.

Good luck, girl! I wish you nothing but success.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind if you lose 1 1/2lbs a week, that means by Labor Day you'd be 22lbs lighter. By Halloween you'd be 35 lbs lighter. By Christmas you'd be 46lbs lighter ; by Valentine's Day 2014, you'd be 57lbs lighter.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    An example of what can happen when you try to lose it fast.
    http://thesweatybetties.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Loose-Skin.jpg
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well, as everybody has said (more than once) that is a pretty intense goal. The only people I know of who have pulled it off those types of numbers have gone on to win the Biggest Loser. Well, actually I think that guy from the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead documentary did it too .... but the continuous sight of those spinach shakes were making me kind of ill so I didn't watch the whole thing. LOL

But I'd love to cheer you on if you want to give it a try. Feel free to friend me.
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm setting a goal for myself to lose 10-15 pounds every month. I know my weight loss will not be the same every month, but that's my goal and I'm sticking to it. Has anyone been able to do this? If so, how?

I didn't know how much weight I would lose in a given week, or month when I started out, but needing to lose hundreds of pounds I wanted to lose as much as I could in a healthy way. So, I set MFP to lose 2 pounds per week, basically 8 - 9 pounds per month. With the amount of calories I was able to eat, I was able to meet my goals while leaving 200 - 400 calories available. If I was hungry I would eat more, but more often than not I was able to stay well below my calorie goal.

I also started exercising as much as I could. As I lost weight I would increase either the time or intensity of my workouts. I make sure I burn 1,000 calories a day, 6 days a week, with my exercise alone. I also try to be more active in my everyday live - spend time doing something, regardless of how small, as opposed to watching TV.

I started at over 450 pounds and I have lost 12 - 16 pounds a month by eating healthier and staying active as much as I possibly could. I am now 319 pounds and still at or near this pace as my calorie intake slowly decreases and my activity level slowly increases.

I know that my weight will loss slow down at some point although I am not sure where that will be - I will never go hungry to lose weight and my activity level can only go so high. I don't know if you can reach those numbers at your weight but it can be done from 450 to 319 pounds.

Good luck on your attempt to get healthier.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't care where you set your goals. The only advice I want to give you is that if--for whatever reason-- you don't reach these goals....do not use it as an excuse to quit!

Never give up on yourself, ups and downs are a part of the game, and the only reason I'm where I am today is that I never let myself give up despite that.
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

Everyone's body is different, but only up to a point. For example, EVERYONE needs iron. EVERYONE's mental functioning slows when they ingest enough alcohol.

When it comes to SUSTAINABLE weight loss, NO ONE loses an excessive amount each month over the long term in a healthy way.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Do what you think is best, keep your doctor updated. I wish you smooth sailing all the way through.

If you do hit a wall, plateau, whatever -- please look back on this thread not so much as people saying "you can't" -- because we really don't know what you can or can't do. Instead look at it as "what has worked, what hasn't worked " for us -- and if you find yourself at a plateau -- remember this thread and know you are not alone -- everyone runs into problems at some point (and as this thread shows, we all love to talk about our problems).
    Hopefully you won't. Be well, be happy and best rewards for hard work.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    The crazy up in here is REDONCULOUS!!!!!

Thank you for that laugh. I have lost 19 lbs very slowly since February, and I am very happy. I have given Mr. Fat a one way ticket.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but if I were new to a weight loss site I'd listen to members who had been here longer and been successful.

I'd feel like a real idiot if I acted like I knew more than they did.

You can learn from people who have already done what you're trying to do, or you can be stubborn and pigheaded and insist you know what's right even though you haven't accomplished it yet.

The choice is yours.

Judging by some of their pictures, they haven't accomplished it yet either.

You clearly have everything figured out! Why even bother posting here? When does your book come out!? It's a wonder how you even got overweight in the first place!?

The book will be on the Dr. Oz show next week. Be sure to tune in.:laugh:
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Hello Envyme521. I just want to tell you, the guy who posted the 1% rule is close to the truth if you want this kind of a rapid goal: you can lose about 1% of your weight per week, but as you progress this is likely to go down, don't be discouraged. You may start with 10lbs/month, but little by little that loss will reduce, just expect it when you get there and don't let it discourage you. But definitely don't go with the crazy people who suggest you try to lose more per month, it will just set you up for failure, and make you feel bad. If you try for smaller goals, you are more likely to achieve them and keep going. It *IS* possible to lose more faster, especially if your deficit is due to exercise not fasting, but the faster you lose, the more you risk: poor nutrition, bloodsugar spikes/drops, rebound weight gain, muscle loss and over long periods there are other significant problems. 1% rule per week is a pretty good maximum, and for most people, or long term weight loss expectation, its not very healthy.

For short term, one week while I was in pretty good shape I lost 10lbs just to prove I could do it...but, I burned a minimum of 3,000 calories per day to do that, every day for a week and I did not significantly reduce my food intake. And....I gained it all back quickly. You can lose weight fast, but the faster you lose, the less likely it stays off, and you want a change for your life. I personally struggle with this daily: I know I could work out heavy and do what I did before, but I know its not permanent, I dont gain strength and then I'd probably have lots of stretch marks in the future, so I don't. Slow and easy does it, but forge on at the low end of your weight loss goal range for a month if you wish just to say you did it! Just use hours of daily exercise as your calorie deficit, not food, watch your nutrition and consult your doctor.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I didn't ask for approval at all. I asked has anyone had this type of loss and how? Again, peopel are different, but I still want to know. And it is very true in me saying that even though it's said that healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week some people lose more. You can't help how someone else's body reacts to a certain diet/exercise regimen and yours doesn't react the same way. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT.
    [/quote]

You're probably the 10,00th person on MFP to claim that they are a special flower and can defy the laws of thermodynamics. So believe what you will, but don't get snarky simply because those who have been successful either here or elsewhere are offering realistic insight into weight loss. Best of luck.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Trust me doctors rarely know what they are talking about just listen to your body and do as it tells you what is healthy for you. Now if what is healthy for you is what the doctor says then do that. But do it for you not for her!!! And losing weight isn't a race it's a life commitment. You will get there in due time. But be healthy about it. And great job on your loss so far and good luck to you in the future!!
  • envyme521
    envyme521 Posts: 35
    Options

Hello. I've been reading through a lot of this. Came to discover it's nothing more than 9 pages of insults, crap talk, irrelevance, and a lot of wasted breath.

Therefore, I quoted the original post and am going to pleasantly respond to it in a way I see fit, achieving the oh so novel concept of doing what these threads are meant to do...answer the OP and provide support with facts, without opinion, and with the simple intent of attempting to help someone that is trying to do what I (and every single one of you) am working hard to do.
    Lose weight, get fit, get healthy.
    I am rewinding and starting this from scratch. You're welcome.

I've been taking my weight loss seriously for 3 weeks and have lost 7.2lbs, so no, I can't say that I have lost 10-15/month yet, but it's do-able. Just be prepared, because to successfully lose like that, there is no room for error. You're talking exercise 7 days/week and eating nothing short of perfectly.
    I have admiration and respect for you for setting the bar so high for yourself. It takes nothing short of enviable confidence to do such a thing.
    My goal is 8-11lbs/month and so far I'm on track. I eat 1300-1500 (net) calories/day, and I workout a minimum of 35min a day, 5-6 days per week. Mostly, I dance. Zumba, cardio hip hop, and Buti are my exercises of choice. Zumba burns 750-1,000 calories an hour! And it's a blast! Doesn't even feel like you're working out.

My dad is a Marine and personal trainer, and he's encouraging me to lose at least 5lbs/week and he's certified to train people. I, admittedly, find 5lbs/week absolutely cra-cra-craaaaazay, but to each their own.

Good luck, girl! I wish you nothing but success.

Thank you. To lose the amount of weight I'm talking about is crazy, but I feel if I set it high I will work that much harder to get there even if it does not happen. That's how I motivate myself.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I want to look at this one last time for the OP so maybe she will get it.

15lbs/Month = 3.75lbs/Week
    1lb = 3500 calorie deficit

That's 13,125 calorie deficit per week
    or
    52,500 calorie deficit per month
    or
    1,875 calorie deficit per day

Is this something that is sustainable for you you? This means that you have to eat 1875 calories per day LESS than what you are currently eating.

For me, I don't ever want to be that hungry.
  • timontwowheels
    Options
    I too like most of us here are in happy with our selves or our self image but I beg you to please take it in a planned 2 pounds a week increment. Setting unhealthy goals that are going to be hell to try and obtain on a regular basis will only end up bringing failure to your plan to get healthy. Please remember success breeds success. Meaning the more often you are able to meet or even exceed your two pounds a week goal the longer you will stay with your program and the better your overall health will be in the long run. Good luck to you.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I want to look at this one last time for the OP so maybe she will get it.

15lbs/Month = 3.75lbs/Week
    1lb = 3500 calorie deficit

That's 13,125 calorie deficit per week
    or
    52,500 calorie deficit per month
    or
    1,875 calorie deficit per day

Is this something that is sustainable for you you? This means that you have to eat 1875 calories per day LESS than what you are currently eating.

For me, I don't ever want to be that hungry.

bringin in the math...

slingin that logic...

$20 she's blocked you too.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a good motivator. But try to be safe. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.