Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast IS important and the fact that you're hungry shortly after means you didn't have enough fat/protein with your breakfast or that your metabolism has kicked in and is telling you that it NEEDS food. Food is your friend, not your enemy.

With a friend like food, who needs enemies!

Thank you all for chiming in. I am so not crazy!!!!! (at least regarding this topic)

Down with breaky!
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I agree with you too!!! They say that its very important to eat breakfast but no matter what I eat I'm hungry before lunch.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

With a friend like food, who needs enemies!

Thank you all for chiming in. I am so not crazy!!!!! (at least regarding this topic)

Down with breaky!

IMO, this is a little crazy. Thinking of food as an enemy smacks of disordered thinking and could lead to issues.
    Jesus people, eat when you're hungry and nourish your body. A cup of coffee is not a proper replacement for a meal. I think what people here are forgetting, is that those who say breakfast is not NECESSARY are still taking in adequate calories in the day in the meals that they do eat. Take sidesteel for instance. He may not eat 'breakfast' but he eats an adequate amount of calories in the meals that he does eat. He doesnt use it as a way to cut corners, which are what some people are suggesting, just as a way of being flexible with his day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Why stick to the "standard" regimented three meals per day. Genetically we're built to graze, eating when we can hunt/gather food. Most bodybuilders eat about 6 times per day - yes I know this is a weight loss site, but the theory is sound - eat regularly and spread your food through small meals throughout the day (emphasis on the word small here). Your body will recognize a steady income of calories, not go into 'starvation mode' where it stores fat, increase metabolism and therefore stimulate fat loss at the same time.
    Have to take into consideration here that the majority of body builders eat this way because of the amount of calories they are trying to consume for anabolism and hypertrophy usually can't be consumed in 3 meals.
    While I don't disagree that genetically we are built to graze, I'm betting that many of the people here got overweight snacking a lot, especially on high calorie items.
    Not saying that the method won't work, just pointing out that multiple opportunities to eat food for some may end up being detrimental for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ldjames69
    ldjames69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It may depend on what you are eating. Plus I noticed that when I exercised and then ate, my metabolism would burn that food off. So I had to get in a snack but not just any snack. It needs to be something healthy. I agree wtih MrsCEWinters' post. You may have to eat a little more protein to sustain you. Below is what my dietitian wants me to follow for breakfast: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 milk, 1 oz meat, 1 fat. Then at lunch is have 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 veggie, 3 oz meat, 1 fat. I have a snack which is 1 starch, 1 fat. Dinner is 2 starch, 1 fruit, 2 veggies, 3 oz meat, 1 fat. Last snack is 1 startch, 1 milk. Following this is supposed to help me with making my 1800 calorie meal plan and control my blood sugar. I am diabetic. So try getting in a snack but remember something that is satisfying for you. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    NOT eating breakfast so that you WONT be hungry is NOT normal behaviour. At all.
    Neither is forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry. The issue I think that people have is that they categorize their meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner are just denotations of meals based on times eaten. If a person ate their correct amount of calories regardless of how many meals they want to achieve it in, then that's the right track.

IDEA Fitness member
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    NOT eating breakfast so that you WONT be hungry is NOT normal behaviour. At all.
    Neither is forcing yourself to eat when you're not hungry. The issue I think that people have is that they categorize their meals. Breakfast, lunch, dinner are just denotations of meals based on times eaten. If a person ate their correct amount of calories regardless of how many meals they want to achieve it in, then that's the right track.

IDEA Fitness member

That's pretty much what I said in my second post. Great minds ey :wink:
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is a must' thing is a myth. If you don't want to eat breakfast, then don't eat it :) I usually break my fast at 11am and that schedule works great for me.

^^ Best advice. "Breakfast" is not a must. I may eat breakfast "break my fast" anywhere from 11am to 1pm. Works for me. Find what works for you. Don't set silly rules on yourself of when and what you have to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    GOOD LUCK finding a registered dietitian that will tell you that skipping breakfast is healthy! LOL. That is hilarious that is all. :noway:
    Does Eating Breakfast Really Help with Weight Loss?

At this time, research has not demonstrated a consistent link between eating breakfast and body weight. Some studies show a relationship between skipping breakfast and a strong prevalence of obesity. Until more studies are conducted, individuals should choose a meal frequency that prevents feelings of hunger.

From the ACADEMY OF NUTRITION AND DIETETICS (formerly known as American Dietetic Association where dieticians are registered)

http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=6442453049&terms=skipping breakfast

Luck is defined as being prepared when the opportunity arises, IMO.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That's pretty much what I said in my second post. Great minds ey :wink:
    Just saw it. Yep.

IDEA Fitness member
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favourite meal I eat 6 times a day anyway spaced fairly evenly every 4 hours get too hungry if I dont!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Breakfast is my favourite meal I eat 6 times a day anyway spaced fairly evenly every 4 hours get too hungry if I dont!
    Conversely I eat 3-4 times a day with no real timing, but ensuring that I get in the correct macro/micro nutrients each day.
    Since people are different, then they need to find what actually works for them to stay consistent. For some it's with breakfast, for some it's without it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK finding a registered dietitian that will tell you that skipping breakfast is healthy! LOL. That is hilarious that is all. :noway:

Apparently registered dietitians don't bother to keep up with the progress of research, or are you misrepresenting yourself? The fact that someone who claims to have credentials would know nothing about IF tells me that it's a troll.
    And apparently most RD's don't use their extensive knowledge to get themselves into shape.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast

Mayo Clinic has the most credibility on this thread.

<<<Why does eating a healthy breakfast help control weight?>>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119

<<<If you skimp on breakfast, you'll miss out on important health benefits. >>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/NU00197
  • dietcoaching
    dietcoaching Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to eat some protein foods at breakfast such as egg or egg whites or Greek yogurt (17g protein). Protein helps us to feel fuller for longer as well fibre. Those two are very important if you want not to feel hungry.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm not normally hungry for breakfast but I have been fixing myself an egg and oatmeal with protein powder every day to help get my protein in and normally am not hungry after until lunch time. However I got up early this morning, did my walk/jog and my weights and I was ravenous after! I had to eat breakfast. Had a giant green smoothie with protein and a poached egg and I am still feeling really hungry. Might have to indulge a little on a piece of toast and butter but truth be told, I don't know that it matters either way that you eat breakfast. I was always told it gets your metabolism going which makes sense because your body is getting nutrition early and might tend to drop out of the sluggish slow calorie burn you do while sleeping. But at the same time, our metabolisms are not 24 hour clocks that reset every day so it could be that it really doesn't matter.

I would suggest doing what makes you feel most comfortable and do some research. You are going to hear both sides from a lot of people.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    not weird at all my "Breakfast" is usually at 4 pm....You have Just discovered the greatest fatloss secret in History!
    Congrats...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do you even read?
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    yeah........ahhhh just take a quick glance at the pic of the "Dietician:)" Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've done both. When I first started with MFP, breakfast was a staple of my diet. I had to eat right away in the morning... and it had to be a pretty significant meal.

After awhile my weightloss slowed. I realized that if I skipped breakfast entirely or just ate something small mid-morning... I wasn't as hungry throughout the day. For me, I think it takes some time after waking up to be able to properly gauge if I'm hungry or not. I would eat even when I didn't really need to. Rushing breakfast was a mistake for me.